Please join in on the discussions here!

#2 angelofsomething

angelofsomething

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

Saw Phantom movie a few years back. Was not great but it was ok.

#3 TokyoRed

TokyoRed

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Saw Phantom movie a few years back. Was not great but it was ok.

Posted Image

I became aware of The Phantom thanks to the 1996 movie "The Phantom."

If this new back door pilot "The Phantom" for SyFy is anything like the Aquaman pilot starring Justin Hartley and the SyFy/BBC Merlin series you can know I'll be in line to watch this new "The Phantom" show faithfully. I really want to get my little sister Tiffany and my friend Erik into The Phantom and this might be the perfect way to do so.

I sure hope is suit will be like the one in the 1991 movie.

#4 Ro_Dann

Ro_Dann

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

I hate when they feel they got to modernize stories to make people today understand it. They bastardized MERLIN and now fiddle with the PHANTOM. They even have to alter the suit because no one today can wrap their minds around the simple idea of "superheros" in spandex!. My interest is piqued but like with so many reimagings I end up disappointed.

#5 walker21

walker21

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

I admit I am disappointed with the pictures of the suit. It just does not look right. The skull ring looks pitiful. I have a little Phantom ring that looks a lot better than that one. I hope to be proven wrong when seeing everything in motion on the TV screen. If you loved the Phantom already, then the movie was awesome because it was completely true to the Phantom strips and Billy Zane's costume could not have been better. There are moments in the movie when you yell, "Oh man, classic Phantom move!" I hope to be able to say the same with the TV show. The Phantom was the first superhero and he's still kicking butt.

#6 Dropoff

Dropoff

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

SyFy is ignorant of the fanbase this character has.
They know that there ARE fans, they just think the fans will accept any old thing with a skull ring on it.
I really enjoyed the '96 movie with Billy Zane. That was as close as we're likely to get now.
The idea that you have to update an iconic character like The Phantom misses the point of the character. He's TIMELESS!!!!
Hello? SyFy...or whatever you're calling yourself this week......You lost out big time with Flash Gordon. You stripped him of everything that made him a hero. Was that your plan? Did you NOT want people to watch the series? Good job, then.
With The Phantom, you had a chance to make a low budget, interesting series without much of an FX crew. You almost had an Indiana Jones on your hands. Only your hands were greasy from that Flash Gordon slime you got on them.
I hope this is just a tv movie or mini series and the real Phantom will be produced again some day by artists who care to get it right.
What's next? Supergirl played by a middle aged man? That's your targeting skills!
I won't be watching. Maybe if you ran the Billy Zane film or the old Tom Tyler serial.
You won't, though.
You're about as much science fiction as your name.
SyFy, indeed.

#7 CornKernel

CornKernel

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

SyFy is ignorant of the fanbase this character has.
They know that there ARE fans, they just think the fans will accept any old thing with a skull ring on it.
I really enjoyed the '96 movie with Billy Zane. That was as close as we're likely to get now.
The idea that you have to update an iconic character like The Phantom misses the point of the character. He's TIMELESS!!!!
Hello? SyFy...or whatever you're calling yourself this week......You lost out big time with Flash Gordon. You stripped him of everything that made him a hero. Was that your plan? Did you NOT want people to watch the series? Good job, then.
With The Phantom, you had a chance to make a low budget, interesting series without much of an FX crew. You almost had an Indiana Jones on your hands. Only your hands were greasy from that Flash Gordon slime you got on them.
I hope this is just a tv movie or mini series and the real Phantom will be produced again some day by artists who care to get it right.
What's next? Supergirl played by a middle aged man? That's your targeting skills!
I won't be watching. Maybe if you ran the Billy Zane film or the old Tom Tyler serial.
You won't, though.
You're about as much science fiction as your name.
SyFy, indeed.

Ouch... Harsh critic indeed, can't say I totally disagree with you though considering what they did to Flash Gordon. I think I'll give this one a chance though, no it's not the costume we all know and love but at least it's a costume and that's more than some other superhero shows out there can say.
Posted Image

#8 AgentMixsae1

AgentMixsae1

-

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,984 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

I'll give it a shot...I'm a harsh critic of Smallville though and waht they've done to the continuity (not to mention the costumes) I want superheroes to look like superheroes...not motorcross participants.
**Please note that all existing permissions to utilize characters I have created for fiction have been revoked for use in any future stories by anyone for any reason. At no time should either character be used or mentioned without my consent**

#9 TheRealChakraDave

TheRealChakraDave

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

You never know, maybe he's fighting a gang of thugs on a motocross track.

#10 Cyclonis4

Cyclonis4

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Anybody know where I can get a soundtrack listing?

#11 RedWych

RedWych

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

Please join in on the discussions here!

I just watched maybe 10 minutes of The Phantom.
If the people who did the casting had worked just a LITTLE bit harder could they have found someone even MORE unappealing, unattractive, and uglier to play the part?

BLETCH!

#12 Dregomusevney

Dregomusevney

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:39 PM

unlike most of these people i think a series based on this phantom is welcome the story is good and it deserves a chance to grow and do well. Im from a group of people who get screwed by all these people who complain about every **** thing and an awesome show that could last years if given the right chance to grow and give my fav hero his own live action show. i am begging those who read theses posts to take the critics with a grain of salt they are the ones at comic shops that complain the pages are to long to read. all i want is for this possible show to get a chance.

#13 LevionneKlay

LevionneKlay

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:47 PM

just watching funny the costume looks right to me

#14 jem1245p

jem1245p

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

unlike most of these people i think a series based on this phantom is welcome the story is good and it deserves a chance to grow and do well. Im from a group of people who get screwed by all these people who complain about every **** thing and an awesome show that could last years if given the right chance to grow and give my fav hero his own live action show. i am begging those who read theses posts to take the critics with a grain of salt they are the ones at comic shops that complain the pages are to long to read. all i want is for this possible show to get a chance.

#15 jem1245p

jem1245p

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

I totally agree, give the show a chance to develope. So there are
some things some people don't like. What a surprise!!!! I learned a long
time ago "You can please some of the people some of the time and all
of the people NONE of the time." I happen to actually like the changes
that were made. Oh my, even the new suit. I think the changes were
explained with the fact that this is the NEW Phantom in today's world.
I think I remember the 1996 movie as set back in time not in today's
world. When a story is updated to current time I would think new technology
would naturely come into play.

And the fan that said the actor playing the NEW Phantom is ugly,
please were you watching the show with your glasses on. I guess beauty is
truely in the eyes of the beholder. The guy is fine and his girl friend
is gorgeous. And I don't normaly like red heads.

Fine if you don't like the changes, don't watch it. Just don't ruin the
chance for others that might want to watch it. I hope it is developed into
a series that last years, I'll watch it.

#16 LevionneKlay

LevionneKlay

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:48 AM

ah, the new state-of-the-art costume I see reminds me of green arrow I think I may like it

#17 lasille

lasille

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:52 AM

I watch this movie and enjoy the whole bit of the story plot. I will hope that syfy will make this in to a TV series. There were still question that a TV series would answer. Mainly because of the way the movie ended. You have my vote to make this in to a TV series. I would watch.

#18 numinousme

numinousme

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

This world needs as many Heroes as we can get right now! The Phantom, with his new uniform, the "Ultimate Warrior", fighting terrorism, in today's world! If ever this world needed more Heroes... That Time Is Now!

#19 LevionneKlay

LevionneKlay

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

just finished watching this might be a good show

#20 blackwolf0728

blackwolf0728

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

For all of you people screaming that you want a show to come out of this movie, DONT, because than they will think that it will outstrip the ratings of their flagship shows, like the crappy BSG prequil, or the even more crappy SGU. Then they will do what they did to Dresden files and cancel it because it was a kick *** show,

However, I do think that with the correct writters this could be an awsom show

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users