• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Fairydusted

Fairydusted

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

Could someone tell me exactly where Haven is filmed? The location is beautiful!

Thanks...........

#2 kekkygcm

kekkygcm

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

LUNENBURG, N.S. — The picturesque town of Lunenburg, N.S., is going to be the backdrop for a television series based on the work of horror-writer Stephen King.
Lunenburg will fill in for the fictitious Town of Haven, Maine where the inhabitants have no idea they are descendants of cursed ancestry.
Thirteen one-hour episodes are planned and the pilot for the series is pulling out all the stops for production in order to attract a large audience.
Filming will take place over three days beginning April 20.
The proposed cast includes Emily Rose, Lucas Bryant, Eric Balfour, Richard Donat and John Dunsworth.

http://www.calgarysu...5/13595391.html

#3 eatmyrocksalt

eatmyrocksalt

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

Oh yeah, it's certainly Lunenburg. I grew up around there. Great shots of the Fisherman's Museum and the town. Also saw some shots of Mahone Bay. If you ever visit Nova Scotia stay off the highways and onto the shore roads. It's beautiful.

#4 willbutler

willbutler

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

This i the perfect place for a show such as this the scenery couldn't be any better.

#5 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

Oh yeah, it's certainly Lunenburg. I grew up around there. Great shots of the Fisherman's Museum and the town. Also saw some shots of Mahone Bay. If you ever visit Nova Scotia stay off the highways and onto the shore roads. It's beautiful.

Ya and make sure if you stop in Halifax that you have great car alarm system. They are famous for stripping and stealing stuff out of your car there.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#6 lololee

lololee

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

I love the show, I really do I just wish that the casting department would have taken a little more time searching for a lead actress who can actually act. In my opinion she sort of brings down the energy of the show. Just because someone is attractive doesn't mean they can act or that viewers don't have enough intelligence to see beyond the actors physicality. I'm insulted that the casting department would hire this women, to play the lead role in what appears to be a pretty **** good show. Kill her off and replace her, and do it quickly. If Haven returns next season I don't want to see that lady stinking up my television screen with her subdued acting. She looks like she's high and sounds like she's in pain. Is she on pain killers? if she is say so quickly and maybe I'll reconsider my opinion of her acting abilities or lack there of. Just remember Patrick Swaze was going through chemo therapy well taping the Beast and he still put on an incredible performance. What's homegirsl's excuse? <_< :)

[code=auto:0]

#7 catwoman48

catwoman48

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:51 PM

I love the show, I really do I just wish that the casting department would have taken a little more time searching for a lead actress who can actually act. In my opinion she sort of brings down the energy of the show. Just because someone is attractive doesn't mean they can act or that viewers don't have enough intelligence to see beyond the actors physicality. I'm insulted that the casting department would hire this women, to play the lead role in what appears to be a pretty **** good show. Kill her off and replace her, and do it quickly. If Haven returns next season I don't want to see that lady stinking up my television screen with her subdued acting. She looks like she's high and sounds like she's in pain. Is she on pain killers? if she is say so quickly and maybe I'll reconsider my opinion of her acting abilities or lack there of. Just remember Patrick Swaze was going through chemo therapy well taping the Beast and he still put on an incredible performance. What's homegirsl's excuse? <_< :)

I am so with you! I only discovered this series yesterday. I am temporarily between jobs and ended up watching all the episodes - until tonight's - on OnDemand. That was the first thing that struck me: this actress, whom I had never seen before, is so incredibly generic. She has no personality, no distinctive look, no style, no nothing. There are some really good one-line zingers every once in awhile, and they are kinda wasted on her. Dana Scully she definitely is not. I, too, was wondering whether, with all the women available, this is the best they could do.

The chance Ms. Rose will be fired and replaced this far into the season: nil. However, I am glad to know I am not the only one who finds a big black hole at the center of this otherwise fascinating series. Eric Balfour (sigh!) has more personality and more impact in one line of dialogue than Ms. Rose - or the also generically underwhelming Mr. Bryant - has had in the whole series to date, including tonight's new episode. Sorry, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

#8 2mfns

2mfns

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

We REALLY disagree with "how you sees 'em"! When we saw Emily Rose in the promos for Haven she is the main reason we tuned in. We are enjoying her, the other main characters, and the show. We have come across this actress in a variety of roles that we have really enjoyed--each of them has been quite different--we were happy to see her in Haven. As we mentioned in another thread, her portrayal of Dr. Tracy Martin on ER was very spunky, smart and outgoing -- cracked us up! She was a 1950’s character on Cold Case who was tender and vulnerable. On Two and a Half Men she was a flirtatious yet kind waitress. In the Sony Uncharted games she not only does Elena’s voice but all of her adventure action through motion capture and is of course quite 'animated'. In the Haven premiere commentary on this website the writers mention they auditioned over 100 actresses for the role of Audrey and Emily Rose acted her just how they had envisioned. From seeing her in other roles, she is acting Audrey as she is directed. We think she looks real and natural yet quite pretty in Haven.
It seems the style of the whole show is subdued townspeople that reminds us of Twin Peaks or The Office type of banter... but we have also noticed some of the dialogue is disjointed in a way that feels like an editing issue. We like the story AND the characters AND the way they are being played. The scenery is beautiful, too. We will definitely keep watching at our house!

#9 gorbal

gorbal

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:54 AM

This i the perfect place for a show such as this the scenery couldn't be any better.

I disagree, I think MAINE would be the perfect setting for a show set in Maine, but there are too many tourists so I understand the difficulty.

I do like the location they choose; the backgrounds are beautiful and remind me of where I grew up on the coast.
It would be nice if they could have at least one episode set in an actual Maine town...wishful thinking probably; but it would increase local interest in in the show at least.

I'm interested in where the show is SET in Maine as well. There are a couple of Islands near Rockland with the suffix "Haven". When I was growing up supernatural occurrences were taken quite seriously as well. I was googling a friend of my grandmother's who passed away ten years ago, for example-

http://archive.south...obi.htm#XINDEX1

My whole family saw what he could do, but we weren't allowed to talk about it for some reason. This show kind of reminded me of him.

#10 catwoman48

catwoman48

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

We REALLY disagree with "how you sees 'em"! When we saw Emily Rose in the promos for Haven she is the main reason we tuned in. We are enjoying her, the other main characters, and the show. We have come across this actress in a variety of roles that we have really enjoyed--each of them has been quite different--we were happy to see her in Haven. As we mentioned in another thread, her portrayal of Dr. Tracy Martin on ER was very spunky, smart and outgoing -- cracked us up! She was a 1950’s character on Cold Case who was tender and vulnerable. On Two and a Half Men she was a flirtatious yet kind waitress. In the Sony Uncharted games she not only does Elena’s voice but all of her adventure action through motion capture and is of course quite 'animated'. In the Haven premiere commentary on this website the writers mention they auditioned over 100 actresses for the role of Audrey and Emily Rose acted her just how they had envisioned. From seeing her in other roles, she is acting Audrey as she is directed. We think she looks real and natural yet quite pretty in Haven.
It seems the style of the whole show is subdued townspeople that reminds us of Twin Peaks or The Office type of banter... but we have also noticed some of the dialogue is disjointed in a way that feels like an editing issue. We like the story AND the characters AND the way they are being played. The scenery is beautiful, too. We will definitely keep watching at our house!

I am certainly willing to give her a chance! My opinion is based purely on her performance in this one show. I had never heard of Emily Rose before, had never seen her in any of the roles you mention, nor did I see any promos for Haven, so I am at a disadvantage. Obviously she is much more talented than what I have seen so far in Haven indicates. Yes, she does look "real and natural", and there could very well be some problems with the dialogue and the editing that are kind of sucking the life out of her character. I will certainly be watching closely from now on. If 100 actresses were auditioned, and she won the part, I must be missing something, because there are some talented ladies out there. I will try to get past my affection for the delicious Mr. Balfour (whom I had never seen before, either, but who is a real standout; I love his voice and his sly sense of humor!) and try to find what it is that has won Ms. Rose such a following. <_<

#11 eatmyrocksalt

eatmyrocksalt

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

Actually, I really like her. I think she brings the right tone to the character. I like the chemistry between Emily Rose and Lucas Bryant and Eric Balfour. When Audrey and Nathan talk to each other they sound almost like an old married couple, but in a good way - completely in tune with each other's thoughts - and I like that very much. I can't stand it when you have a female character who is always questioning and second guessing the lead male character. They usually just come off a whiny and immature. Or worse - when they completely ignore their counterpart just because they think they know best even though they are in an unknown situation and maybe their partner not so much. In this show you have Audrey and Nathan who fit together seamlessly and I like that the writers have chosen to go that route. To me having personality conflict between two main characters is an excuse to hide weak writing, unless that's what the story is about in the first place. And no, I don't consider the storytelling in Haven to be weak. I think they are working into a much larger story arc and taking their time doing it, which isn't always a bad thing and is to be expected in the first season for a show like this. Look at Supernatural. It started out a bit slow, but after five seasons it's still gaining strength.

#12 brandonrek75

brandonrek75

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

wow i knew it looked familiar i lived in Canada for 4 yrs close to that area Moncton NB and Halifax NS I thought I was going crazy when watching it lol

#13 Podi2

Podi2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

Ya and make sure if you stop in Halifax that you have great car alarm system. They are famous for stripping and stealing stuff out of your car there.

Oh really?! I would have never have thought there was a crime problem in NS. You just don't think of crime when you think of Canada. I guess it's a mental thing. :huh:
Age of Aquarius: 2012

Live every moment, of every day, as if it was your last day on Earth. Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not here, but Today is NOW!

Peace!

#14 mronhifi123

mronhifi123

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:38 PM

I do like the location they choose; the backgrounds are beautiful and remind me of where I grew up on the coast.
It would be nice if they could have at least one episode set in an actual Maine town...wishful thinking probably; but it would increase local interest in in the show at least.

#15 HavenGuy

HavenGuy

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

I have been to Nova Scotia on numerous occasions and I agree completely with your opinion of the scenery. Lunenburg is quite scenic. As a matter of fact virtually everyplace in Nova Scotia is very beautiful! Cape Breton is by FAR the most incredibly scenic place in North America that I have visited (with the possible exception of Victoria and surrounding BC territory). Halifax is a great city (glad I parked my car with valets if the comment down below is correct!) ONE QUESTION THOUGH... Even though "HAVEN" and it's surroundings are absolutely gorgeous WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU STAY THERE WITH ALL THE "TROUBLES" HAPPENING CONSTANTLY??? Good thing the cast does though or the show would be kind of boring without people lol !!!!!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users