• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 floatingon

floatingon

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

Anyone have an ideas or theories on why Nathan hates Duke with a passion?
I mean seriously... how bad can it be.

#2 unicorn711

unicorn711

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

My guess is that way back when they were growing up they were the best of friends and something came between them. What that could be I haven't any idea. You can't have that great of a dislike for someone without having been close at one time.

#3 FrankyC

FrankyC

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

My theory is they were best friends as kids then one day Nathan lost his GI Joe in the sand box and blamed Duke. So now they are mortal enemies...ya.....that sounds logical to me.
ďI am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.Ē- Oscar Wilde.
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."-Oscar Wilde
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."- Albert Einstein

#4 CoarseLimely

CoarseLimely

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

It'll probably be the age-old tale of the stolen girlfriend. That's always a safe bet for deep, soul-blackening hatred.

#5 cflat28

cflat28

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

My guess is that way back when they were growing up they were the best of friends and something came between them. What that could be I haven't any idea. You can't have that great of a dislike for someone without having been close at one time.

Yeah, I agree with this. Perhaps Duke got in the wrong crowd or something.

#6 AngeliniCantaloupe

AngeliniCantaloupe

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

This was my guess and supposition as well.

I hope they don't go for something as trite as "you stole my girlfriend way back when". IMO, the animosity runs too deep for that. Given what Duke said to Nate, the line was something like "Does she know what you've done?" or something like that, I think they both ran with the wrong crowd at one point (back when they were best of friends). Things got really heavy, and at some point Nate thinks Duke went too far. Someone probably got hurt, or even died, and now Nate channels his guilt over what happened to his hate of Duke.
Posted Image
eRepublik, the only place where you can own a business corporation, join the military, become a congressman, or even run for President......all at the same time.

#7 willbutler

willbutler

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

i agree with this but i think it has to do more with Nathans nervous system problem i bet Duke was the indirect result of a few incidents that could have killed Nathan when they were younger and friends.

#8 Josie2288

Josie2288

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:07 AM

I have to agree with ^^.
Maybe Duke is the reason for Nathan not being able to feel physical pain.
I kind of got that feeling when Nathan was half crazied and they had their little conversation.
Nathan is still a mystery to me though, he does have some serious hate issues.

Posted Image Posted Image
graphics by siennasea

#9 eatmyrocksalt

eatmyrocksalt

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

I have to disagree. I donít think Nathan actually hates Duke. I think that he is very angry with him for something but Duke doesnít seem too bothered by it so far. Obviously something happened between them, but itís almost like they view what happened with completely different perspectives. Or maybe Duke has just accepted and dealt with what happened and moved on while Nathan hasnít yet.

On the other hand, maybe Duke knows something about Nathan and Nathan views that as Duke having some measure of power over him, which understandably would grate on his nerves no end. Maybe itís something as simple as Nathan knows Duke is smuggling and is involved in illegal activities but over the years hasnít been able to actually catch him at it yet and heís just become very frustrated by the situation. <_<

So far weíve only really seen Duke interact with Audrey and Nathan. I think it might be interesting to see him interact with the Chief or one of the newspaper guys just to get some idea of how other people treat him.

Besides, for all we know at this point Nathan and Duke could be brothers. Having a different last name doesn't really mean anything - Crocker could be his mother's maiden name.

#10 willbutler

willbutler

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

lets put into perspective that on the first episode nathan told audrey that he has known duke since he was 5 and he has always been a pain in the ***.

#11 eatmyrocksalt

eatmyrocksalt

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:01 AM

Knowing him only since he was five doesn't exclude them being brothers - or half-brothers.

And I never said that they were ever best buddies. <_<

#12 Vendikarr

Vendikarr

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

When something comes between boyhood friends, it's usually a girl.

Maybe a girl will now be what brings them back together.

Posted Image

"I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I've got absolutely no problem leaving the exact same way."

#13 immerrda

immerrda

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

At the beginning of the show, Duke taunts Nathan saying, " So does she know you aren't a real boy?" And he puts his hand in front of his face and makes a motion like Pinocchio's nose growing bigger? Does he say that because he has idiopathic neuropathy or something else?

Also I hope we see more of Nicholas Campbell as the sheriff. He'a great actor and I loved him in "DaVinci's Inquest".

#14 Michelle67

Michelle67

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

It'll probably be the age-old tale of the stolen girlfriend. That's always a safe bet for deep, soul-blackening hatred.

That was my thinking as well. Although I don't really see Nathan drawn to Audrey, it seems that Duke is truly attracted to her. If there is something in Nathan/Duke's past concerning a girl...I wonder if it might resurface if Duke and Audrey grow closer.

The strange thing to me is Duke's voice...if I close my eyes and listen to him talk (especially if he say's Nathan's name) he sounds just like Peter from Heroes. Freaks me out every time.

Posted Image

#15 LarryUnderwood

LarryUnderwood

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

Anyone have an ideas or theories on why Nathan hates Duke with a passion?
I mean seriously... how bad can it be.

It is obvious from watching the shows 4 episodes so far why!

Duke is a bit of a playboy, hustler, living on the edge kind of guy, where as Nathan is an or was at one point HONEST.
Something Duke was involved in that has directly to do with the type of work Duke was doing is what upset him I believe and perhaps losing a girl to Duke in the past...which seems quite obvious because with regard to Audrey, he said "are you going to do that...AGAIN" while he was beating on him or trying to.

During that physical run in, in the 3rd episode in which Duke had to Keep Nathan, who had freaked again, all tied up on the docs....

...In Nathan's anger during that fight, he blurted out that his hate for Duke came from the "DISHONEST" way Duke was making a living.

Nathan doesn't hate him realy. They have past, in which the things Duke was doing upset Nathan because they weren't "above ground" sort of speak.

But in yesterdays episode it would seem this feud died forever...the reason being Duke's Buddy Who Owned half of the Second Chance Restaurant got murdered...and Audrey and Nathan convinced the brother of Duke's friend and his wife to fork over the deed for the restaurant along with the keys to Duke.

Dukes response..."It's about time I had a legitimate business" and he accepted the deed, the camera panned at that moment to show NATHAN, with a mighty long grin on his face.

We saw a side of Duke in his misery that we've not seen before, a kinder gentler Duke.

The answer is they are friends...Old Ones...and Nathan doesn't want him maintaining his old womanizing ways...it's clear that Nathan HAS LOST AN OLD GIRLFIREND TO DUKE, He likes Audrey, but the only real chemestry here is between Audrey and Duke, so Nathan is Jealous of that and reminded of the last girl he lost to Duke. Whenever he flips to his evil side and "things start happening", we were going to see him taking it out on Duke I believe, but after Audrey and Nathan arranged for Duke to get that deed yesterday, I think all of the hate between them has now passed.

That's my take anyways.

Regards.
LarryUnderwood{lol}
Posted Image

#16 willbutler

willbutler

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

Looks like next episode will be the definer b/c duke gets turned old after sleeping with that chick

#17 LarryUnderwood

LarryUnderwood

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

Looks like next episode will be the definer b/c duke gets turned old after sleeping with that chick

WOW, THAT'S COOL. how did you find that out ?
Posted Image

#18 Podi2

Podi2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

Special Agent Audrey isn't looking for her mom...she's actually looking for HERSELF! And Duke and Nathan were in the past with her! Just watch, this town has quirks and I bet this scenario comes up! <_<
Age of Aquarius: 2012

Live every moment, of every day, as if it was your last day on Earth. Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not here, but Today is NOW!

Peace!

#19 LarryUnderwood

LarryUnderwood

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

Special Agent Audrey isn't looking for her mom...she's actually looking for HERSELF! And Duke and Nathan were in the past with her! Just watch, this town has quirks and I bet this scenario comes up! <_<

I dissagree.

I think it's her MOM, and that's why it looks like her, the murder of the Colorado Kid happened long before these events in Haven are now.

I think there's a good chance the little boy is not a BOY but rather a girl...Audrey!

we'll find out for sure one day I hope either way.
Posted Image

#20 eatmyrocksalt

eatmyrocksalt

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

I think it's her MOM, and that's why it looks like her, the murder of the Colorado Kid happened long before these events in Haven are now.

I think there's a good chance the little boy is not a BOY but rather a girl...Audrey!

My only problem with that theory is - as someone has already pointed out - that the kid in the photo is old enough to remember those events. If that kid was Audrey - or Nathan or Duke for that matter - they would remember that day.

I'm looking forward to the next episode Ball and Chain. I think we might get some insight into the Duke/Nathan relationship. I'm still not giving up the notion that they are brothers. :) I think the preview is interesting because it makes it look like Nathan gets upset and freaked out at the notion that Duke might actually die. I mean, seriously people, have we seen Nathan freak out over ANYTHING yet? He's so **** cool and unfazed by anything that has happened so far - from the first time we see him get Audrey out of the falling car to getting shot to explosive dead cows - that I have to tip my hat to Lucas Bryant for making Nathan so bloody interesting. I'm dying for some crack in his armor to show and it looks like I might get it. <_<

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users