• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 DonBel

DonBel

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

It's because of the "I know more than the brightest minds on the planet know" attitude.I myself am a skeptic and have run across skeptics right here on the Syfy forums that are skeptical about proven laws dealing with quantum physics and the laws of nature and such.I can quote the top ten theories from the top physicists on the planet, some who are nobel prize winners in their field, and some skeptics have dismissed these theories as hogwash as if they are far above the top quantum physicists on planet earth.It's fine to be a skeptic, but a skeptic that is convinced he has all the answers is a stupid skeptic.I keep my mind open to the possibility of the existence of ghosts, although I am skeptical about it myself.People (skeptics) were sure man would never fly but man has been to the moon and back.Skeptics from past ages wouls scoff at the idea of being able to watch pictures that actually move, yet today we have television and movies.Black holes were poo pooed a couple of decades ago by skeptics, and we all know how that ended up. Skeptics have simply been proven wrong more then they've been proven right. It's only a matter of time until somebody with a great mind and insight proves them wrong about something else.I have run into a few "skeptics" that I swear still believe the world is flat.

Hey, everyone. First post!!

I'm a skeptic--which is not the same as a cynic or critic. I love physics and astronomy and have wondered why skeptics are looked at as commies from the sixties. Never understood how being informed is a bad thing...

But today I have only two things to say--one, why are you, DDDDude still a skeptic if they have been proven wrong more than right and where did you get that data? I would question it as should you if you actually are a skeptic. I think I doubt that you are.

Black holes were not poo-pooed decades ago by skeptics (like we were a hostile tribe of naysayers)--they were debated by scientists until we could actually acquire the data to prove they exist. Neither scientists nor "skeptics" debate the existence of black holes today. The data was limited and controversial and that is how science works. When technology could confirm it, what skeptics opted out?

My next point is the idea that skeptics are arrogant know-it-alls who don't buy proven science. A true skeptic always goes by true science. 99 times out of 100 science is right. Face it, everything we own or use is the result of very complex and fascinating science and technology that most of us can't begin to understand. Cell phones don't work without Einstein's special theory of relativity, nuclear power plants don't work without quantum mechanics. Molecular design for new wonder drugs is deeply seeded in quantum mechanics. No skeptic debates this if he is a skeptic. But a critic or a person with an agenda might.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit.

DonBel

P.S. saw on Comcast a video about the Moon landing hoax. When are we going to give that a rest??? Even Russian telemetry at that time could track the fact that we put a vehicle in orbit around the moon. Considering how mind-boggling difficult that was to do in the sixties when those spacecraft had less computing power than you car, why does the landing seem so hard? That would be much easier than getting there.

That's why they call it rocket science!!!! It's very, very hard to do. Be proud that we did it!

I'm done

#22 SyFyOriginalsFan

SyFyOriginalsFan

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

skeptics are necessary. Without them so many important things wouldn't have been debunked leading to more credible finds.

#23 KrycekForever

KrycekForever

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

I feel the best believers are the best skeptics they know how to disseminate the information and break it down to a point where it just becomes unexplainable and just hang on to the "fact" that "we just don't know" and that we have to continue searching for the truth...

#24 jimvierling

jimvierling

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

I think it would have to do with the classification of the skepticism or skeptic as to whether or not people like them or do not like them as well as how they present their argument.

If the skeptic is a follower or practitioner of Pyrrho or Pyrrhonism then they will argue against anything being fact. Seriously, they claim that that they stay away from making truth claims, even though they claim that it is true that they do so. Pyrrho is also credited with stating that there can be no certain knowledge. Think about that one. He just stated that it is certain knowledge that there can be no certain knowledge. So these skeptics will argue against anything that is put forth as being true. They will argue against both or all sides of a debate where they sides are putting forth their side as being true. In other words they argue just to argue and are extremely annoying people.

If the person falls into the category of scientific skeptic, that is actually somewhat of an oxymoron. To be a scientist you have to use reasoning to think about anything that is put forth as science. Unfortunately, most people just assume that whatever is in the book is automatically correct and do not think it through. Also unfortunately, schools are more worried about memorization for test scores than they are about helping a child to develop their abilities to use reason/reasoning or logic.

If the person is a religious skeptic, they generally are not liked by religious people simply because then tend to ask questions aimed at getting another to actually think about their faith. That scares the other person, much the same as turning off a child's night light. That could also automatically make that person literally hate the skeptic depending on what part of the religion that the person follows. There are parts in pretty much all religions that call for the death of non-believers.
All religion is a form of deception and oppression that is used to control the masses and thus religion and superstition should be abolished and replaced with science, reason, philosophy, and ethics.

#25 Terip121

Terip121

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

It's because of the "I know more than the brightest minds on the planet know" attitude.I myself am a skeptic and have run across skeptics right here on the Syfy forums that are skeptical about proven laws dealing with quantum physics and the laws of nature and such.I can quote the top ten theories from the top physicists on the planet, some who are nobel prize winners in their field, and some skeptics have dismissed these theories as hogwash as if they are far above the top quantum physicists on planet earth.It's fine to be a skeptic, but a skeptic that is convinced he has all the answers is a stupid skeptic.I keep my mind open to the possibility of the existence of ghosts, although I am skeptical about it myself.People (skeptics) were sure man would never fly but man has been to the moon and back.Skeptics from past ages wouls scoff at the idea of being able to watch pictures that actually move, yet today we have television and movies.Black holes were poo pooed a couple of decades ago by skeptics, and we all know how that ended up. Skeptics have simply been proven wrong more then they've been proven right. It's only a matter of time until somebody with a great mind and insight proves them wrong about something else.I have run into a few "skeptics" that I swear still believe the world is flat.

I agree with you. I myself am a skeptic but I won't argue with the views of others. There should always be that plane of respect that is always present whenever talking about topics such as this. If either party feels that they know everything there is to know about their "expertise" then they might really believe that the world really is flat for them.
There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.
Christopher Morley

My Site
Other Site

#26 pagan

pagan

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Because often more frequently than not, they,we, do make sense out of a situattion that in a lot of other ways seems senseless. ;)
Everybody lies.

If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic.

The notion of picking 1 times of the year to be decent to others is obscene because it's actually validating the notion of being miserable SOB finaly.

Your biggest problem...hell I don't know what it is!!! Ask somebody else.

#27 TorHershman

TorHershman

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Perhaps they simply love their falsehoods too much and that seems to equal hating skeptics?

Maybe it's 'cause skeptics make images such as.....

Attached Thumbnails

• pledge - corrected.jpg

#28 tipihome

tipihome

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

people do not like to hear ideas other then thier own.

native2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users