• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sierrarayne

sierrarayne

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

Does anyone know what the connection to Stephen King's "Colorado Kid" and Haven is? I read the book and don't see how it's connected. Maybe someone smarter than I can figure it out. LOL.

#2 LarryUnderwood

LarryUnderwood

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

In Stephen King's Novel..."The Colorado Kid"...The Main gutz of the plot is focused an investigation of the dead body of an unidentified man found in a small town on a tiny island off the coast of Maine in a place called "Hammock Beach".

"HAVEN" for the Television adaptation...

is that town.

The action occurring within the narrative space of "The Colorado Kid" is confined entirely to "Moose-Lookit Island", as the "Islander" {local Newspaper in the book} staff takes lunch at the Gray Gull restaurant, before returning to the newspaper office.

Vince and Dave share tales that span locales ranging from neighboring "Smack Island" to "Denver, Colorado".

The Characters in the Colorado Kid...

Dave Bowie - The 65-year-old managing editor of The Weekly Islander, the small-circulation newspaper servicing the island of Moose-Lookit, surrounding isles and some mainland communities.

Stephanie McCann - A 22-year-old University of Ohio postgrad, on summer internship at the Islander. Her duties on the paper involve writing "mostly ads" [3] and the Arts 'N Things column. Though struggling with the local dialect and sedate rhythms of island life, Stephanie is growing increasingly fond of the newspaper staff, and finding they have unique, important lessons in journalism in store for her.

Vince Teague - The 90-year-old founder of the Islander, who transformed the paper from the Weekly Shopper and Trading Post in 1948.

The Colorado Kid - unidentified body found in 1980 on "Hammock Beach", wearing gray slacks, and a white shirt. With little but a wad of meat in his mouth, and a nearly full pack of cigarettes in his pocket, there seem to be no indicators to his identity, or how he arrived on Moose-Lookit.
Posted Image

#3 LarryUnderwood

LarryUnderwood

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

Oh, I would like to add that from what I posted you can CLEARLY SEE HOW GREAT AND VALID your question was IMO...

when they say "Loosley based" these days...the REALY MEAN IT...and when I read the plot for the upcoming Hawaii-Five-O Pilot...I was quite disapointed...and that's one I realy wanted to be more "TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL".

Hope I turn out to be wrong on Both series...

Even though I am not a happy camper with what's transpired I admit It can grab you by the "booboo" sometimes...I'm hangin' in to see where it goes...and if they can make it 8 for 8 this week.
Posted Image

#4 2mfns

2mfns

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:40 AM

The writers have been discussing the relationship between the show and the novella in interviews online and in print ever since the show was announced.
To hear them personally answer this question again listen to the Q&A link on this Syfy site:

Writers answer your email questions.

We especially enjoyed the enhanced version of episode 1 "Welcome to Haven" that gave background on the beginning of the concept, Stephen King's input, and casting the main characters. It's not up on site currently but we hope it will be part of the series DVDs when they come out.
:rolleyes: We enjoy Haven and hope it has the opportunity to give us another season of "Troubles"!

#5 Bakamushi

Bakamushi

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:46 AM

It's Stephen King who invented the story of the shadow who is afraid of light ?

#6 yorky298

yorky298

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:14 PM

Does anyone know what the connection to Stephen King's "Colorado Kid" and Haven is? I read the book and don't see how it's connected. Maybe someone smarter than I can figure it out. LOL.

I know what you mean. There is no connection that I can see. The Colorado Kid was not one of Kings best. Haven is good enough to stand on it's own. I think they thought adding King would sell it. It's sad they did not have enough faith in their work to let it stand alone. It would be like me telling people the Color Purple is based on my life because I am a Black female.

#7 SlidingKat

SlidingKat

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:08 AM

In Stephen King's Novel..."The Colorado Kid"...The Main gutz of the plot is focused an investigation of the dead body of an unidentified man found in a small town on a tiny island off the coast of Maine in a place called "Hammock Beach".

"HAVEN" for the Television adaptation...

is that town.

The action occurring within the narrative space of "The Colorado Kid" is confined entirely to "Moose-Lookit Island", as the "Islander" {local Newspaper in the book} staff takes lunch at the Gray Gull restaurant, before returning to the newspaper office.

Vince and Dave share tales that span locales ranging from neighboring "Smack Island" to "Denver, Colorado".

The Characters in the Colorado Kid...

Dave Bowie - The 65-year-old managing editor of The Weekly Islander, the small-circulation newspaper servicing the island of Moose-Lookit, surrounding isles and some mainland communities.

Stephanie McCann - A 22-year-old University of Ohio postgrad, on summer internship at the Islander. Her duties on the paper involve writing "mostly ads" [3] and the Arts 'N Things column. Though struggling with the local dialect and sedate rhythms of island life, Stephanie is growing increasingly fond of the newspaper staff, and finding they have unique, important lessons in journalism in store for her.

Vince Teague - The 90-year-old founder of the Islander, who transformed the paper from the Weekly Shopper and Trading Post in 1948.

The Colorado Kid - unidentified body found in 1980 on "Hammock Beach", wearing gray slacks, and a white shirt. With little but a wad of meat in his mouth, and a nearly full pack of cigarettes in his pocket, there seem to be no indicators to his identity, or how he arrived on Moose-Lookit.

The Colorado Kid, in my opinion, was a true, unexplained mystery. This mythology is duplicated in the show in that the mysteries are not completely tied up and solved. For example each episode solves the mystery of who is doing the action, but the reason why is not given. This is a mirror of the novella length story in which a dead body is found and in the end the identity of that person is determined and his family is brought to town, but the "why?" is not tied up (why he came to town and how he got there).

The story is actually a satirical short story where an unsolved murder is discussed and used to clarify the two type of story telling and what satisfies readers. This discussion is given as a test to see if the intern reporter is worth of becoming a local (similar to the way Audry is being tested if she can become a local to get more information. The story gives us a setting where devices from other Stephen King works can be used to tell stories using the same mythology. i.e. One unsolved thing about the story is solved, but the rest is left rather open ended to allow viewers to come to their own conclusions.

#8 Bakamushi

Bakamushi

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:20 AM

Mmhh I think that the phrase "losely based" conveys reality much better.

I admit there are details inspired by The Colorado Kid, like the town in Maine and the two reporters. But everything in Haven is arranged differently. In Haven the two reporters appear occasionally and are not central to the narration, Audrey is not a novice reporter but an experienced FBI agent, she is not tested at all but immediately accepted as such, etc.

Moreover only the first episode was inspired by King. For the rest Haven follows the "FBI agent solves weird case of the week" pattern.

#9 SlidingKat

SlidingKat

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:53 PM

Mmhh I think that the phrase "losely based" conveys reality much better.

I admit there are details inspired by The Colorado Kid, like the town in Maine and the two reporters. But everything in Haven is arranged differently. In Haven the two reporters appear occasionally and are not central to the narration, Audrey is not a novice reporter but an experienced FBI agent, she is not tested at all but immediately accepted as such, etc.

Moreover only the first episode was inspired by King. For the rest Haven follows the "FBI agent solves weird case of the week" pattern.

I think "loosely based" could be used to describe the relationship between Haven and The Colorado Kid, but is too "loose" or vague. It's a semantics thing.

The setting of the town = the setting of the town in which the Gray Gull resturant is located

The reporters = the reporters --> third party people who give information on past events

Audry = The reporter intern --> a new girl who comes to town and is tested on how she will preform and react to realated histories of the town before she is accepted and becomes a 'local' which in the case of the show is illustrated by her needing to be accepted to get people to tell her about the woman.

The Colorado Kid mystery = the dead man mystery --> which is expanded to suggest there might be a relationship to Audry's parentage and is mentioned in almost every episode. The only episode I don't remember it in is the last one and I thought I saw an interview stating it was clipped for time reason (so we can assume it will be included on the DVD).

Given the mystery from the book and the main characters from the book are mentioned in every episode I think the similarities are a little more than lose.

You might argue the paranormal activity isn't in the book. However it is implied. The other 'mysteries' that the reporters told to an unworthy person, the reporter who wasn't given information (again the similarity of judged worth to get information) could be paranormal in nature. Long time readers of Stephen King know he doesn't write tidy stories with everything neatly explained. He writes messy, complicated, real stories where you can think you know what happened, but could also have alternate interpretations.

So like the stories of the week in Haven that can be boiled down to person X did it for some unexplained paranormal reason the mysteries (Coast Lights, Tashmore poisoning, Pretty Lisa Cabot) told to the unworthy reporter were similar in that they had one unknown that you could easily think could be explained, but on a different level (like the main story of The Colorado Kid where why did he come to town) could be paranormal related if you think outside the box. These episode stories are just more explicitly told from a paranormal angle because that's what popular right now Posted Image,

Moreover a closer look at stories reveals they have significant similarities to episode stories that have been shown on Haven. For example the Tashmore poisonings could be the episode Consumed with an expanded storyline.

#10 itshouldstillbescifi

itshouldstillbescifi

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

I really like Haven and was impatient to find out more, so I read The Colorado Kid. I was a little disappointed at how loosely based on that book the series actually was. But I decided that this year instead of re-reading the Shining I would just read a new King book. So I picked up and started "Needful Things." I found a few more of his books really cheap, one of which was "The Tommyknockers." I had heard that title a lot but never knew what it was about. Imagine my surprise when I opened to the summary page and read about Haven Maine and the strange powers that have come over the people of the town? I haven't started reading it yet because I just started the other book, but I can't WAIT to read this one.

So... how is that they say it's based on The Colorado Kid and make no mention of Tommyknockers when "Haven" actually appears to bear a MUCH greater resemblance to Tommyknockers?

#11 foozle

foozle

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

I really like Haven and was impatient to find out more, so I read The Colorado Kid. I was a little disappointed at how loosely based on that book the series actually was. But I decided that this year instead of re-reading the Shining I would just read a new King book. So I picked up and started "Needful Things." I found a few more of his books really cheap, one of which was "The Tommyknockers." I had heard that title a lot but never knew what it was about. Imagine my surprise when I opened to the summary page and read about Haven Maine and the strange powers that have come over the people of the town? I haven't started reading it yet because I just started the other book, but I can't WAIT to read this one.

So... how is that they say it's based on The Colorado Kid and make no mention of Tommyknockers when "Haven" actually appears to bear a MUCH greater resemblance to Tommyknockers?

AHA! It's a nefarious plot to get people to read more SK novels.Posted Image

I never cared for him myself, but my sister's a devoted fan. I don't care for the horror genre in general, but now I'm intrigued. I'll have to see if my sister still has her copy of 'Tommyknockers'.

"Just a little case of mood poisoning...must be something I hate." David Warner, Wild Palms

Some days it's just not worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users