10 replies to this topic

#1 badgirl2bad4u

badgirl2bad4u

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

First off, I think Eric Balfour is made of WIN ;) He's awesome in everything he does (even loved him in the car commercial where he was the devil LOL That was great).

But as for the character, Duke, I've been waiting since the start of the series for the writers to give us a glimpse of his supposed dark side. We've been told that Duke is a 'bad boy'. Nathan warned that Duke is "unreliable, untrustworthy," etc. Unfortunately, Duke is just entirely too likeable for Audrey (or the viewers) to heed that warning. We've reached a point now where Audrey is cozying up to Duke's character, and I'm really hoping that the other shoe is about to drop. Nothing against the idea of Duke / Audrey playing out for a while Ė but he IS supposed to be bad, right? I want to see that portrayed, and I have every faith that Eric could pull it off beautifully.

IMHO they just havenít given Audrey (or us viewers) a strong enough reason to distrust Dukeís character yet. I don't consider the things he may or may not be smuggling to be 'bad'. The fact that he procures items in a legally questionable manner comes across more like he's an entrepreneur who doesn't let a little thing like rules stand in his way. I donít hold the whole ĎHelenaí incident against his character, either, because Audrey did stand him up first. Plus, it was pretty much established that the guys really didnít have a say where Helena was concerned. These things just havenít cut it, Iím afraid.

I would like to see something truly BAD from his character. *glances over at screen name* *clears throat guiltily* I want Duke to do something that makes Audrey (and us, as viewers) wonder whether she was terribly foolish to ignore Nathan's warning. And before anyone hurls any rotten tomatoes my way, I'm not saying that I want us to hate Duke forever - he can (eventually) redeem himself afterward, of course.

Iím curious, am I the only one who wants to see this play out?

"So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

And I see not in my blindness
What the objects were I wrought,
But as God rules o'er our bickerings
It was through His will I fought.

So forever in the future,
Shall I battle as of yore,
Dying to be born a fighter,
But to die again, once more."

- General George S. Patton

#2 leejixiken

leejixiken

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:23 AM

But as for the character, Duke, I've been waiting since the start of the series for the writers to give us a glimpse of his supposed dark side. We've been told that Duke is a 'bad boy'. Nathan warned that Duke is "unreliable, untrustworthy," etc.

I'm interested in finding out why Nathan's holding a grudge, but what reasons have we been given to think Duke's a 'bad boy'?

#3 badgirl2bad4u

badgirl2bad4u

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

I'm interested in finding out why Nathan's holding a grudge, but what reasons have we been given to think Duke's a 'bad boy'?

Here on Syfy's site, it says: "Duke Crocker is a charming yet mysterious jack-of-all-trades. Though Duke outwardly appears to be a free spirit who lives an unobtrusive life on his boat, it becomes apparent that his mellow demeanor may conceal a much darker agenda."

In the series, the residents of Haven expect problems and bad behavior from Duke, as made clear in 'Consumed' by Dave Teagues' comment of, "Always figured Duke'd get'em in hot water sooner or later."

In 'Welcome to Haven', Audrey says, "The guy's not all bad. He saved my life and then he served me coffee." To which Nathan replies, "I've known him since he was 5. He's all bad."

In articles about the show and interviews, Duke's character is typically referred to as 'Haven's resident bad boy'.

Eric Balfour says of his character, "Duke definitely doesn't like rules." "Duke will never be on the straight and narrow. It's just not in his DNA. He is a modern day outlaw for sure."

I don't know, it's just that all these different sources are hinting at Duke being bad - the ne'r do well type - but we've seen him do so many things in the series that are commendable.

#4 leejixiken

leejixiken

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

Here on Syfy's site, it says: "Duke Crocker is a charming yet mysterious jack-of-all-trades. Though Duke outwardly appears to be a free spirit who lives an unobtrusive life on his boat, it becomes apparent that his mellow demeanor may conceal a much darker agenda."

In the series, the residents of Haven expect problems and bad behavior from Duke, as made clear in 'Consumed' by Dave Teagues' comment of, "Always figured Duke'd get'em in hot water sooner or later."

In 'Welcome to Haven', Audrey says, "The guy's not all bad. He saved my life and then he served me coffee." To which Nathan replies, "I've known him since he was 5. He's all bad."

In articles about the show and interviews, Duke's character is typically referred to as 'Haven's resident bad boy'.

Eric Balfour says of his character, "Duke definitely doesn't like rules." "Duke will never be on the straight and narrow. It's just not in his DNA. He is a modern day outlaw for sure."

I don't know, it's just that all these different sources are hinting at Duke being bad - the ne'r do well type - but we've seen him do so many things in the series that are commendable.

Thanks for the clarification, as I think this is more a question of semantics since it leaves the question of: what do you mean by "bad"? I think Duke's already filled that gap with his illegal activities, but I also think there's more to Duke than we've seen (his "much darker agenda", in particular, but that wouldn't necessarily make him a 'bad boy').

So what type of behavior would fill the "bad" gap for you?

#5 Annoyed58

Annoyed58

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

First off, I think Eric Balfour is made of WIN ;) He's awesome in everything he does (even loved him in the car commercial where he was the devil LOL That was great).

IMHO they just havenít given Audrey (or us viewers) a strong enough reason to distrust Dukeís character yet. I don't consider the things he may or may not be smuggling to be 'bad'. The fact that he procures items in a legally questionable manner comes across more like he's an entrepreneur who doesn't let a little thing like rules stand in his way.

The man's a criminal. What more do you want?

I would suggest perhaps that your gonads may be playing too large a role in your evaluation of him. You're obviously attracted to him, and I think that's coloring your judgment.
--
"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion." - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor

"Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all." - Former Borg Seven of Nine

#6 TruckinMan

TruckinMan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

I would suggest perhaps that your gonads may be playing too large a role in your evaluation of him. You're obviously attracted to him, and I think that's coloring your judgment.

That is not a gentlemanly thing to say to a lady. <_<

#7 Bakamushi

Bakamushi

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

I have not perceived a sign of Duke being bad yet. Let alone criminal, please give me a break !

In fact for a supposedly smuggling scoundrel he is exceptionally nice, reliable, clean and behaved.

Maybe his small carefully unkept beard remains as a sign that he is a pirate. If that is so he is a pirate for very secure entertainment parks then.

#8 badgirl2bad4u

badgirl2bad4u

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

@Annoyed58 - Hate to disappoint, but my gonads have nothing to do with this discussion. ;) LOL It doesn't make a difference whether or not Duke is attractive. Saying someone is a 'criminal' does not automatically make them deplorable. There are many degrees to being a 'criminal'. Just because someone jaywalks, doesn't mean they're untrustworthy.

@Bakamushi - "I have not perceived a sign of Duke being bad yet. Let alone criminal, please give me a break !" Agreed! He's done nothing in the course of the series that would make me think of his character as 'bad' or 'criminal'. That's the reason I wanted to see something that would lend credence to his reputation.

@leejixiken - "So what type of behavior would fill the "bad" gap for you?" I guess I'm just impatient for the 'darker agenda' to be revealed, but in the mean time maybe they could do something where his loyalties are called into question. According to an interview with Eric Balfour, Duke has had to look out for himself for the majority of his life. I'd like to see his character making decisions to that effect, where he is taking care of himself regardless of how it impacts others (including Audrey).

#9 leejixiken

leejixiken

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

@leejixiken - "So what type of behavior would fill the "bad" gap for you?" I guess I'm just impatient for the 'darker agenda' to be revealed, but in the mean time maybe they could do something where his loyalties are called into question. According to an interview with Eric Balfour, Duke has had to look out for himself for the majority of his life. I'd like to see his character making decisions to that effect, where he is taking care of himself regardless of how it impacts others (including Audrey).

I think Duke's made it clear that he watches out for himself and can help out in a pinch, but we haven't seen his mettle tested yet. I don't anticipate we'll see him taking care of himself regardless of how it impacts others since he's already shown he has concern for others, he's not a sociopath. But I'm definitely with you on looking forward to learning more about Duke and how it is he fits into Haven. :)

#10 NiekoRae

NiekoRae

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

Duke is so far my favorite character and they did mention in one of the comentaries that in episode one you were supposed to meet him as he is having a fight with some Russian guy which means that he could be bad in the respect that in not following the rules/ laws he's gotten himself involved in some kinda mafia/mob/yakuza type deal... which in the long run can mean that keep keep himself alive hed have to do worse stuff to keep the mob off his tail and keep himself from sleepin' with the fishes. Just cause hes nice to Audrey doesn't mean he hasn't peeved off some black market guys who have come to Haven for revenge. that can cause quite a mess and give him a bad reputation.

#11 jadestormcloud

jadestormcloud

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:19 AM

I don't get the idea that they're trying to portray him as "bad" as in "evil." I just thought they were going for the "bad boy" image, like Zane on "Eureka," which I think they've pulled off. My impression is that he is a person who willfully & cheerfully breaks the law to further his own exploits & is likely to party & womanize. Thus, a "bad boy," but like many of that type of character, he can be decent & helpful when the occassion calls for it. I, personally, have no desire to see him get darker. I already find it unbelievable that Audrey seems willing to succumb to his smug "charm" when I think he's so obviously a player. I am interested in finding out why exactly Nathan is so very antagonistic to him, though. There has to be something more to cause such extreme vehemence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users