• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 StevenRRR

StevenRRR

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

With the cancellation of the Dresden Files, now Caprica and recent posts on this forum questioning the commitment of the SyFy.com to Science Fiction, I couldn't help noticing this move review by Joe Leydon.

"Skyline," an underwhelming and derivative sci-fi thriller that's only marginally more impressive than a run-of-the-mill SyFy Channel telepic."

Link to the Skyline Review
When all else fails, read the manual.

#2 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

I have not seen "Skyline" yet myself but the user reviews for the movie on Yahoo are brutal. The overwhelming view of the reviews that I read were *extremely* negative yet the movie still somehow maintains a user rating of "C+" which really isn't that bad. I do plan on seeing the movie and the only thing I know of to compare it to is "Independence Day" circa 1996, which although rather cheesy I still like, especially the special effects. All I can say is, if "Skyline" is better than the last Terminator movie, "Terminator Salvation", then I will not feel bad for going to see it.
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#3 Astacius

Astacius

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

The only good thing about Skyline is the FX, which were incredible considering it's $10M budget. Oh, since the film opened with a $11M this weekend, expect the sequel next year, which was already in the works before Skyline opened.

#4 ThPrimes

ThPrimes

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:46 PM

Search "sony skyline" for the nasty stink last August.

Up next, Battlefield: Los Angeles this spring. Buzz isn't being kind to this one either.

There were voices down the corridor,

I thought I heard them say,

Imagine greater

#5 Astacius

Astacius

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:36 AM

Up next, Battlefield: Los Angeles this spring. Buzz isn't being kind to this one either.

It's getting a great response at Rotten Tomatoes and looks like what Skyline wanted to be, but failed.

#6 Muzz666

Muzz666

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:30 AM

I have not seen "Skyline" yet myself but the user reviews for the movie on Yahoo are brutal. The overwhelming view of the reviews that I read were *extremely* negative yet the movie still somehow maintains a user rating of "C+" which really isn't that bad. I do plan on seeing the movie and the only thing I know of to compare it to is "Independence Day" circa 1996, which although rather cheesy I still like, especially the special effects. All I can say is, if "Skyline" is better than the last Terminator movie, "Terminator Salvation", then I will not feel bad for going to see it.

Very true. The last Terminator movie was just bad, but then again so was the last SAW movie. I hate that I can't find a good solid movie on the big screen any more

The label Nerd and Geek

are never used as a sign of Respect or Affection

but instead are used to Diminish and Ridicule

those who have a gift they share with the world.

Just because Someone is Dumber than you

does not mean You are Smarter than them.

Yes i'm not normal - Deal with it

#7 ThPrimes

ThPrimes

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

It's getting a great response at Rotten Tomatoes and looks like what Skyline wanted to be, but failed.

Reaction to the trailer at the RT forums is mixed.

But I did find there a link to the international trailer! I hope the trailer narration is not actual dialog pulled from the movie, not Will "The Voice" Lyman but what sounds like Michael Pena, one of the soldiers in the movie. Shock Til You Drop: Alternate International Trailer for Battlefield: Los Angeles

I join others in wanting to see a fictional history of the 1942 event. That would have made a fresh movie. People are just tired of the whole fake CNN footage - hovering alien craft over major cities - events seen through the eyes of a few people running around - genre. It's just a narrative-less skeletal framework to hang visual effects on. The result is a great looking trailer, one good box office weekend, and a forgettable movie.

In its favor over Skyline, Battlefield features a ton of practical effects, real soldier toys, (real soldiers), real destruction. That's why it cost over five times more. Both movies are worth renting later on just to see the dazzling visuals, unless you can't wait to see Michelle Rodriguez on the big screen again.

There were voices down the corridor,

I thought I heard them say,

Imagine greater

#8 Astacius

Astacius

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Reaction to the trailer at the RT forums is mixed.

But I did find there a link to the international trailer! I hope the trailer narration is not actual dialog pulled from the movie, not Will "The Voice" Lyman but what sounds like Michael Pena, one of the soldiers in the movie. Shock Til You Drop: Alternate International Trailer for Battlefield: Los Angeles

I join others in wanting to see a fictional history of the 1942 event. That would have made a fresh movie. People are just tired of the whole fake CNN footage - hovering alien craft over major cities - events seen through the eyes of a few people running around - genre. It's just a narrative-less skeletal framework to hang visual effects on. The result is a great looking trailer, one good box office weekend, and a forgettable movie.

In its favor over Skyline, Battlefield features a ton of practical effects, real soldier toys, (real soldiers), real destruction. That's why it cost over five times more. Both movies are worth renting later on just to see the dazzling visuals, unless you can't wait to see Michelle Rodriguez on the big screen again.

Well, I'm not one to judge a film by it's 30 second teaser trailer, like some it seems. Guess I just have a more open mind than others.

#9 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

I saw Skyline today and thought it was a pretty good film. It's no E.T., but I found it entertaining and even a little scary at times.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#10 ShadoCorp

ShadoCorp

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

To each his own I guess. I am such a sucker for these movies. Skyline started off OK but just morphed into a bad Saturday nite SYFY movie of the week. And the way the ending set up a obvious sequel, well I won't be rushing to see that one.
Hopefully Tron:Legacy lives up to the hype. I wonder if AMC or TCM are planning to show the original Tron?

#11 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,014 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:36 PM

To each his own I guess. I am such a sucker for these movies. Skyline started off OK but just morphed into a bad Saturday nite SYFY movie of the week. And the way the ending set up a obvious sequel, well I won't be rushing to see that one.
Hopefully Tron:Legacy lives up to the hype. I wonder if AMC or TCM are planning to show the original Tron?

So far there is no televised schedule for Tron.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users