43 replies to this topic

#1 Molek

Molek

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

I think Greer was holding a gun while in the other ship, do they work in space? Will the powder in the cartridge ignite in a vacuum?

#2 Muzz666

Muzz666

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

I think Greer was holding a gun while in the other ship, do they work in space? Will the powder in the cartridge ignite in a vacuum?

Stop pointing out the show's flaws. The only gun (with a projectial)that would work in space is a gauss gun which uses magnets to move the bullet.

Posted Image
The label Nerd and Geek

are never used as a sign of Respect or Affection

but instead are used to Diminish and Ridicule

those who have a gift they share with the world.

Just because Someone is Dumber than you

does not mean You are Smarter than them.

Yes i'm not normal - Deal with it

#3 ariallie

ariallie

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

Hey Muzz666, I read the first part of your signature and laughed.

Re Syfy, it seems that nerds and geeks are way cool in both Eureka and Warehouse 13.

And have you ever noticed that once a nerd/geek makes billions of dollars, they become sexy, desirable people. Nowadays, there's hope for anyone called nerd or geek in a pejorative manner. :D

#4 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

It is special gun powder lined with compressed oxygen. So ya it will fire.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#5 RedRhinos

RedRhinos

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

Did they fire a gun in space yet?

On the planets they have, on the ship they have. But out in space?

#6 McSheppard

McSheppard

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

Of course guns work in space! Do rockets work in space? Since when does gunpowder (or nitro) need oxygen to burn?! :rolleyes:

Bullets go a lot faster in a vacuum. Space even has the added benefit of the bullet retaining its trajectory and speed forever until it hits something or is deflected by the gravity of a star. B)

GateFans - Independent and uncensored sci-fi talk.

#7 hercthx

hercthx
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

yes the russians experimented with this tech back in the 70's , the Almaz spy station Salyut 3 was armed with an aircraft cannon they did a test fire and found the issue to be not the firing of a gun in space but dealing with the recoil as the test fire sent the capsule spireling. all you need to fire a bullet is a combonation of 3 things; fuel, oxygen, and heat. the "gunpowder" or propelent in a bullet casing contains the fuel and oxidizer in the form of nitrocellulos. while the lead styphnate igniter in the center of the butt end of the casing provides the heat through friction from being struck by the firing pin. NOVA did a spy special which featured the first declassified look at the Almaz Project. what Muzz is refering to is a Rail Gun which the army is developing right now, so far the Rail Gun is at the single shot, single use phase. the Rail Gun was featured in the pilot episode Air pt.1. Rail Gun is the common term, Muzz used the correct official name I believe.

#8 Otto106

Otto106

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

Our guns will work in space and they will work underwater too.

Mythbusters did an episode where they fired guns underwater to see if the guns would explode. (episode 51 if you want to check)

No need for fancy gauss weapons here.
"They lie. Their whole existence is a lie..."

Those are the best designs the Cylons came up with???? Even after all that spying??? Really???

#9 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,347 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

From Armageddon:
Chick: Man, what are you doing with a gun in space?

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#10 Muzz666

Muzz666

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hey Muzz666, I read the first part of your signature and laughed.

Re Syfy, it seems that nerds and geeks are way cool in both Eureka and Warehouse 13.

And have you ever noticed that once a nerd/geek makes billions of dollars, they become sexy, desirable people. Nowadays, there's hope for anyone called nerd or geek in a pejorative manner. :D

Here's hopeing
The label Nerd and Geek

#11 Muzz666

Muzz666

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

It is special gun powder lined with compressed oxygen. So ya it will fire.

You mean like smokeless gunpowder? or a type of compressed air cartridge?
The label Nerd and Geek

#12 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

yes the russians experimented with this tech back in the 70's , the Almaz spy station Salyut 3 was armed with an aircraft cannon they did a test fire and found the issue to be not the firing of a gun in space but dealing with the recoil as the test fire sent the capsule spireling. all you need to fire a bullet is a combonation of 3 things; fuel, oxygen, and heat. the "gunpowder" or propelent in a bullet casing contains the fuel and oxidizer in the form of nitrocellulos. while the lead styphnate igniter in the center of the butt end of the casing provides the heat through friction from being struck by the firing pin. NOVA did a spy special which featured the first declassified look at the Almaz Project. what Muzz is refering to is a Rail Gun which the army is developing right now, so far the Rail Gun is at the single shot, single use phase. the Rail Gun was featured in the pilot episode Air pt.1. Rail Gun is the common term, Muzz used the correct official name I believe.

This would be a great idea for Mythbusters to explore. I would love to see that episode.

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#13 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

You mean like smokeless gunpowder? or a type of compressed air cartridge?

You just add compressed air in the shell and no problem the shell anyways is going to contain some oxygen because it is air tight. What would suck is if you had a misfire in space. How do you unjam the weapon with those suits?

Posted Image

#14 salukifan

salukifan

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:55 AM

OK guys....
Nitrocellulose is what smokeless powder is composed of. The nitrates in this compound provide the oxygen for combustion. Guns work in vacuum, underwater or any number of situations that won't support combustion. There is no need to have available oxygen inside the casing prior to firing.

#15 Caprica12

Caprica12

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:02 AM

OK guys....
Nitrocellulose is what smokeless powder is composed of. The nitrates in this compound provide the oxygen for combustion. Guns work in vacuum, underwater or any number of situations that won't support combustion. There is no need to have available oxygen inside the casing prior to firing.

It's not just the features of the physical gun into question, you also have to consider other things like momentum (ex: would the kickback from the gun send Greer floating off into space.) Also depending on the gravity will it effect how fast bullets will travel over a distance, like when Rush fired his gun on that planet. Given the situation, had he REALLY needed to use it, I doubt Greer would have been able to fire that gun and at the same time prevent himself from floating off somewhere. Technically the ship has guns that they constantly fire when under attack so I guess that is the answer for this show.
SciFi TV Shows I like:
[SyFy] -Battlestar Galactica Completed Full Run (2004-2009)
[FOX] -Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Cancelled (2008-2009)
[FOX] -Virtuality Not picked up by a network. (2009)
[NBC] -Lost Completed Full Run (2004-2010)
[FOX] -Dollhouse Cancelled (2009-2010)
[SyFy] -Warehouse 13 In Progress(2009-)
[SyFy] -Stargate Universe Cancelled (2009-2011)
[ABC] -V Cancelled (2009-2011)
[NBC] -The Event Cancelled (2010-2011)
[FOX] -Terra Nova (2011)
[SyFy] -Blood & Chrome (TBA)
[TBA] Echoes (TBA)

#16 LORDSHADO

LORDSHADO

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:33 AM

its 600 below zero , bullets wont fire !

#17 Bandit82ABN2

Bandit82ABN2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:47 AM

Yes, and yes.

Respectfully,
Bandit
Posted Image

#18 Atlantislan

Atlantislan

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:59 AM

It's not just the features of the physical gun into question, you also have to consider other things like momentum (ex: would the kickback from the gun send Greer floating off into space.) Also depending on the gravity will it effect how fast bullets will travel over a distance, like when Rush fired his gun on that planet. Given the situation, had he REALLY needed to use it, I doubt Greer would have been able to fire that gun and at the same time prevent himself from floating off somewhere. Technically the ship has guns that they constantly fire when under attack so I guess that is the answer for this show.

mmm... your forgetting they have mag-boots

#19 McSheppard

McSheppard

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:00 AM

its 600 below zero , bullets wont fire !

That could indeed be a problem. Who knows whether the igniter cap is as impact sensitive at those temperatures.
GateFans - Independent and uncensored sci-fi talk.

#20 PistolPow3r

PistolPow3r

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:23 AM

Yes it would be so awesome if they used gause guns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users