• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sftrevor

sftrevor

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Does anyone out there know who actually runs the SyFy channel? I'm curious as I'd like to write them a real letter. Its apparent that they don't read these forums, that they have little clue about their genre or their fan base, and from the way the network is run, little clue in general.

Some examples:

1. I'm sure some marketing wiz told them they couldn't brand the term sci-fi, hence the name change, but it seems to have coincided with forgetting what the term means at all. It was bad enough having WRESTLING on the sci-fi channel (true, its so divorced from reality it probably fits the genre), but what's sci-fi about Hollywood Treasure hunt? Mary knows best?

2. And even when they get the genre right, they suck at pulling it off. Beast Legends is an obvious and poor imitation of Monster Quest, and don't even get me started about how they ruined the Stargate franchise. Note to SGU writers: you'd think a race that could figure out faster-than-light travel and wormholes, could have also mastered the technology behind LIGHTBULBS. Enough with the gothic lighting already!! I can't watch the show in the afternoon because I can't get the contrast high enough!!

3. And you'd think that a sci-fi channel would have some minimal understanding of technology and how people use it. Take the internet for example. SciFi led the pack with putting shows online, put they screwed that up. Guess what mush-for-brains execs? Most shows are serial in nature -- there's a STORYLINE. If we miss an episode, we don't want to wait a MONTH to see an episode that's now OUT OF SEQUENCE. It was great when we could catch up before the next new episode, but not any more. And speaking of, last I counted, 8 came after 7, so why is the online list of SGU missing two episodes??

4. Why the big deal about online viewing?? Half my friends don't even HAVE conventional televisions anymore. ALL their viewing is via streaming, its not just for catch-up any more, its a primary medium with Hulu, Netflix, and everything else. PAY MORE ATTENTION to the web and quit sucking up to COMCAST! And when you do, try and make the shows be actual SHOWS, not ten minute webisodes -- some of us still have attention spans.

5. And while you're at it, how about some decent content. Sci-Fi used to do great original programming like Taken, or The Lost Room (one of the greatest miniseries), but when was the last time I saw anything with vision or quality behind it? Heck, just look at the forums list, there's tons of old sci-fi shows being discussed, but how many of them can you VIEW?

6. Maybe its just my age -- I remember when a season was 21 or 23 episodes, not 7. I realize there's only so many actors in Vancouver to go around but gimme a break.

#2 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,625 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

3. And you'd think that a sci-fi channel would have some minimal understanding of technology and how people use it. Take the internet for example. SciFi led the pack with putting shows online, put they screwed that up. Guess what mush-for-brains execs? Most shows are serial in nature -- there's a STORYLINE. If we miss an episode, we don't want to wait a MONTH to see an episode that's now OUT OF SEQUENCE. It was great when we could catch up before the next new episode, but not any more. And speaking of, last I counted, 8 came after 7, so why is the online list of SGU missing two episodes??

4. Why the big deal about online viewing?? Half my friends don't even HAVE conventional televisions anymore. ALL their viewing is via streaming, its not just for catch-up any more, its a primary medium with Hulu, Netflix, and everything else. PAY MORE ATTENTION to the web and quit sucking up to COMCAST! And when you do, try and make the shows be actual SHOWS, not ten minute webisodes -- some of us still have attention spans.

Decisions about when shows can be put on-line and how many episodes can be made available at a time are made by the rights holder, not Syfy (which is the distributor).

6. Maybe its just my age -- I remember when a season was 21 or 23 episodes, not 7. I realize there's only so many actors in Vancouver to go around but gimme a break.

Will you be posting this on the AMC forum as well? Just wondering, since the shortest genre "season" on any network has been the 6 episodes of The Walking Dead. Well, unless you count the 5 episodes of Torchwood. By contrast, I think all of Syfy's scripted series have run from 10 episodes (Sanctuary) to 20 episodes (Stargate Universe), which is pretty standard for cable.

#3 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,735 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

sftrevor - You will find many things in your life that will not make you happy. The best advice I can give you is this: if you don't like it, and you have a solution, then contact the source. In other words, don't complain about a problem unless you can offer a solution. Otherwise, find the things in your life that DO make you happy!

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#4 Annoyed58

Annoyed58

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

While I agree with most of your post; Wrestling & other non-sci-fi content, the name change, short seasons & so forth, I really think you need to rethink online availability & streaming in general, as the playing field is going to change.

Refer to FCC's pay-as-you-go Internet plan raises video, access questions for an idea of what's coming. There are also several online sites you can research this topic on, such as http://stopthecap.com/.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else does (even though I work in the industry and the coming changes will benefit my employer) but the fact is that the days of unlimited bandwidth usage for your $30/month or so rates are coming to an end. Once they do, streaming is going to take a big hit as it's cost will be prohibitive.

In one sense, as far as Netflix & other businesses based on streaming go, I can understand the carrier's position. These businesses have a business model that does not include the cost of delivery of the product to the customer; they're expecting the carriers to provide that for them. That's not right.
--
"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion." - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor

"Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all." - Former Borg Seven of Nine

#5 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

I also agree with most of the OP's points, but the same can be said for just about every network out there. "Reality" and competition shows abound, and even good scripted shows are not afforded enough time and promotion to find an acceptable audience level. Other networks have also drifted away from their previously stated programming models, such as The History Channel and The Learning Channel. And what exactly does "Storage Wars" have to do with Arts & Entertainment?

Posted Image
Reviews of SF, Fantasy & Horror books, movies, TV, comics at templetongate.net

#6 steve2112

steve2112

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,930 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

I just posted something on another thread with a similar topic. In all honesty, reality TV has died down quite a bit. Some of the 3rd string networks are still using a lot of it like A&E and stuff. You still got garbage like Jersey Shore and the other slop, but you also got stuff like Mythbusters, which has been on forever. There are other networks getting it done much better than Syfy. The CW especially and USA.

I don't watch this network really at all anymore, except for maybe if I cant' sleep I'll watch old episodes of Highlander the series at 2am. BSG was the last epic broadcast this network will ever do. That's just how it is.
Posted Image

#7 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,735 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

We can only hope at some point that syffy will air that special TV show, mniniseries, or movie that can still capture our imaginations.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

#8 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

We can only hope at some point that syffy will air that special TV show, mniniseries, or movie that can still capture our imaginations.

Honestly, fantasy does much better than science fiction right now. Look at the successful shows on Syfy: Warehouse 13, Eureka, and Haven all have as much if not more fantasy than they do traditional science fiction. CW does well with their fantasy shows.

Syfy member since April 1999

#9 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

Actually SyFy is becoming more like Spike TV every day. Sooner or later you will not be able to tell the difference it is all about big greedy corporation making the most money. Sci Fi Channel should have never sold out. Sorry but a dedicated science fiction channel is now a pipe dream.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#10 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

I just posted something on another thread with a similar topic. In all honesty, reality TV has died down quite a bit. Some of the 3rd string networks are still using a lot of it like A&E and stuff. You still got garbage like Jersey Shore and the other slop, but you also got stuff like Mythbusters, which has been on forever. There are other networks getting it done much better than Syfy. The CW especially and USA.

I don't watch this network really at all anymore, except for maybe if I cant' sleep I'll watch old episodes of Highlander the series at 2am. BSG was the last epic broadcast this network will ever do. That's just how it is.

Right now Skiffy only has about 4 shows I watch now. Eureka SGU Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary. Which only Sanctuary is on right now. I will give the Caprica spinoff a chance. As long as it is not the dribble of Caprica and has all the soap opera feel.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#11 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,735 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

Honestly, fantasy does much better than science fiction right now. Look at the successful shows on Syfy: Warehouse 13, Eureka, and Haven all have as much if not more fantasy than they do traditional science fiction. CW does well with their fantasy shows.

Financially, those shows cost less to make since they're Earth-based.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users