#1 squall28

squall28

Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,463 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hey Folks,

As you know SGU has been cancelled due to low ratings. Syfy will not continue Stargate Universe.

I decided to give the other thread a rest, which has turn into 1200 posts of bickering fests and personal attacking and whatnot. So as I clean that thread up, feel free to continue the discussion here. However...

Here are some ground rules with this new thread..

1.) No gloating the show has been cancelled
2.) Respect the members and mods here. No bashing other members or the mods for their decisions. Especially other fans like SGU fans, SGA fans or SG-1 fans.

3.) No more posts about Boycotting Syfy, or calling the network employees idiots or morons.

4.) Keep the off-topic chatter to a limit, we have a General Discussion thread here in the pinned thread section

5.) No posts talking about illegal downloading, especially posting links to sites.

6.) Overall, keeps things Civil. Respect people's opinions even if you disagree.

*If you have a problem with a moderation decision, send a mod a Private Message, DO NOT post it in the open forum*

*First offense will result in a warning, if another offense follows could lead to suspension or even banishment.*

Thank you.

Squall28
Forum Moderator

Posted Image

#2 yongjin02

yongjin02

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

I like number 1 the best

So I'll begin where I left off... Speculate-what would viewers have thought if SGU wasn't. That is if the show aired as is, but without the SG name or the use of a stargate, familiar names and terms? Without these "biases" could it have been successful in any way?

#3 squall28

squall28

Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,463 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

I like number 1 the best

So I'll begin where I left off... Speculate-what would viewers have thought if SGU wasn't. That is if the show aired as is, but without the SG name or the use of a stargate, familiar names and terms? Without these "biases" could it have been successful in any way?

I'm trying to be fair, all around. I think with some more time and the holidays, things will calm down. The other thread got so bad, I just had to remove it.
Posted Image

#4 CoarseLimely

CoarseLimely

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

Final 10 eps will air in April 2011

All 10? In a big marathon, perhaps? That'd rock. 10 hours straight of new SGU.

#5 SciphonicStranger

SciphonicStranger

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

So does anyone know how the final 10 episodes will be presented? I'm hoping they aren't planning to broadcast them all in a single block like they are doing with Caprica. :(

Also if it is going to continue to be a weekly broadcast will the program remain on Tuesdays or move to another night?

#6 yongjin02

yongjin02

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

I'm trying to be fair, all around. I think with some more time and the holidays, things will calm down. The other thread got so bad, I just had to remove it.

Yeah, I know, some were getting kind of really unreasonable, and I am sure someone prob said the same for me-although I don't recall I ever started droolingPosted Image but, I did paste all of my posts to Word and I am not afraid to use them!-KiddingPosted Image

So, how about you? Do you think a different name with a modified plot/theme (no stargate or Ancients, etc) disconnected from all SG--would have been a better show? Kind of like a more updated type of Lost in Space or something? Just wondering if the passion of SG fans had any bias on their opinion of SGU or if the writers were likewise biased in a way where they felt overwhelmed by canon and did a poor job of trying to make a "fit"
thanks

#7 squall28

squall28

Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,463 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

All 10? In a big marathon, perhaps? That'd rock. 10 hours straight of new SGU.

Actually, they will air them on a week to week basis like normally.
Posted Image

#8 graybrew1

graybrew1

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

Too bad it could not have been just closed, it had some interesting points in it. :(

Don't think my last post made it in. So , let me see if this one is okay. The gates were used everytime they dropped out of FTL. to go and explore and get supplies from the next planet, was said to be part of the plan of the ancients. Colonel O'Neil was in it sometimes. Alluetian Alliance was in it. I think it had too much Stargate in it, not to be Stargate.

Good Points:
Greer was aliittle over the top, but I loved his interaction with Eli. The Geek squad had some funny lines. Both Gin and Rush's love inerest were intelligent, brave, strong minded women. Rush and Young seemed to be working through their hatred for each other. The battles are just starting to get going.

On the other hand , I did not think Lou Diamond Phillips character worked in the show at all. Chloe became annoying after the blue aliens afftected her, but hopefully there was a cure in sight. The audience might have cared more about TJ's baby if the baby's father(Young)did.

Here's hoping they end it with the ability to make another Stargate show.

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."

-Benjamin Franklin

#9 squall28

squall28

Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,463 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

So, how about you? Do you think a different name with a modified plot/theme (no stargate or Ancients, etc) disconnected from all SG--would have been a better show? Kind of like a more updated type of Lost in Space or something? Just wondering if the passion of SG fans had any bias on their opinion of SGU or if the writers were likewise biased in a way where they felt overwhelmed by canon and did a poor job of trying to make a "fit"
thanks

This is what kind of show, I think the should shoot for in terms of lighter and more dark dramatic...

Lighter -------------------- Medium------------------**-------------------Darker Drama
(W13/ Eureka) (Sanctuary/Haven/SGA) (New SG Series) (SGU) (BSG)
Posted Image

#10 SciFi-Girl

SciFi-Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,991 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:06 PM

As long as it doesn't end like ALF. :(

Posted Image

I've been asked why I change my font. I really like Indigo and Comic Sans, but it also (sometimes) helps during certain board reviewing situations.

#11 Bandit82ABN2

Bandit82ABN2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

Hey Folks,

As you know SGU has been cancelled due to low ratings. Syfy will not continue Stargate Universe.

I decided to give the other thread a rest, which has turn into 1200 posts of bickering fests and personal attacking and whatnot. So as I clean that thread up, feel free to continue the discussion here. However...

Here are some ground rules with this new thread..

1.) No gloating the show has been cancelled
2.) Respect the members and mods here. No bashing other members or the mods for their decisions. Especially other fans like SGU fans, SGA fans or SG-1 fans.

3.) No more posts about Boycotting Syfy, or calling the network employees idiots or morons.

4.) Keep the off-topic chatter to a limit, we have a General Discussion thread here in the pinned thread section

5.) No posts talking about illegal downloading, especially posting links to sites.

6.) Overall, keeps things Civil. Respect people's opinions even if you disagree.

*If you have a problem with a moderation decision, send a mod a Private Message, DO NOT post it in the open forum*

*First offense will result in a warning, if another offense follows could lead to suspension or even banishment.*

Thank you.

Squall28
Forum Moderator

So..... skeeters still fair game?

*looks innocent* :unsure:

Bandit
Posted Image

#12 graybrew1

graybrew1

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:09 PM

As long as it doesn't end like ALF. :(

HUH? :huh:

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."

-Benjamin Franklin

#13 Martok

Martok

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

HUH? :huh:

Gordon Shumway was captured by the American military and his fate was unknown when the series was cancelled.

I would like to think that the Tanners hired the A=Team and called Robert McCall to save Mr. Shumway.
I've finally done something no one has ever done. I found the lost kitty of Atlantis.

#14 graybrew1

graybrew1

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

Gordon Shumway was captured by the American military and his fate was unknown when the series was cancelled.

I would like to think that the Tanners hired the A=Team and called Robert McCall to save Mr. Shumway.

If they end with a cliffhanger , i think I would probably post 1200 angry posts myself. :P

-Benjamin Franklin

#15 SciFi-Girl

SciFi-Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,991 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

What he said. :P

Posted Image

I've been asked why I change my font. I really like Indigo and Comic Sans, but it also (sometimes) helps during certain board reviewing situations.

#16 Nimbus74

Nimbus74

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

It may have been unknown when the series was cancelled, but there was closure of a sort when ABC made a made-for-TV-movie called Project ALF, several years later. It's listed on the imdb. Having trouble finding an overview of what the movie was about, though.

As for SGU cancellation... the ratings were just not there for it to survive, so I'm not surprised it was cancelled. Too many people who tuned in walked away (over half of them from the series peak to the last episodes, the span of 1 1/2 seasons -- and, full disclosure, I was one of those who walked) and, for an expensive series, that's not a winning formula. The walkers decided the show was not to their liking, for whatever reason, and enough left to jeopardize and, ultimately, cancel the show. Take whatever subjective viewpoint you want of the show (it was great! nonsense! so-so!), but the business decision -- and that's what this was, ultimately, a business decision based on the ratings (outdated, flawed, or not, it's the currency in the television business most companies use) -- was to stop the red ink from soaking the ledgers. SGU received 2 seasons to prove itself and, unfortunately for the show, it didn't work out.

Frankly, my hope is that Stargate gets a lengthy rest. Put it on the shelf while deciding where to go with it. Once a decision or set of choices have been decided, bring in new writers, producers, and storytellers to bring the show back to life in a renewed spirit.

The Stargate will be working again someday. Hopefully, when it's back, it will be for a long time. :)

Edit: Hmm... what do you get when you cross country music with rap? Apparently a four-letter word I can't say without asterisks blotting it out. Learn something new every day :D

Merry Christmas everyone!

#17 Martok

Martok

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

It may have been unknown when the series was cancelled, but there was closure of a sort when ABC made a made-for-TV-movie called Project ALF, several years later. It's listed on the imdb. Having trouble finding an overview of what the movie was about, though.

Seen it, prefer to forget it. I like my closure much better.
I've finally done something no one has ever done. I found the lost kitty of Atlantis.

#18 Nimbus74

Nimbus74

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

Seen it, prefer to forget it. I like my closure much better.

Yea, I had a feeling the closure movie was a swing-and-a-miss at the ballpark... when you can't find a plot summary longer than a half-dozen lines in a paragraph, right there it's an indicator that there's a problem. :lol:

#19 Mr_Ambassador

Mr_Ambassador

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

Cancelled? Awwwww C-R-A-P! I liked this show and never missed an episode! This sucks! Oh well, I hope some DVDs are under the tree. I hope they don't mess with "Haven"!

#20 SciphonicStranger

SciphonicStranger

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:57 AM

Actually, they will air them on a week to week basis like normally.

Cool! Fridays at 10 works for me. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users