• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

From TVbytheNumbers:

Following the enormous success of the series Riese: Kingdom Falling – which generated 1.2 million streams in only two months – Syfy.com will expand its original digital content slate with the 10-part The Mercury Men, it was announced today by Craig Engler, Senior Vice President/General Manager, Syfy Digital.

Created by acclaimed director Christopher Preksta (Captain Blasto), The Mercury Men (each episode runs approximately seven minutes) will premiere exclusively in early 2011....

Drawing on the same retro serials that inspired films such as Star Wars and Indiana Jones, The Mercury Men is set in Pittsburgh in 1975. Edward Borman (Mark Tierno, The Road, Day of the Dead), a lowly government office drone, finds himself trapped when the deadly Men of Mercury seize the building as a staging ground for their nefarious plot.

Aided by Jack Yaeger (Curt Wootten, Captain Blasto, The Hidden Blade), a daring aerospace engineer from a mysterious organization known as “The League,” and Grace (Amy Staggs, Friday Night Lights, Death Proof), who was only at the building to get a government form stamped, Edward must stop the invaders and their Doomsday Device, the Gravity Engine.

The Mercury Men is written and directed by Christopher Preksta, best known as the writer/director of Captain Blasto, for which he was nominated for two Streamy Awards. His work has been showcased at prestigious events including the Tribeca Film Festival and Comic-Con. Producer is Kati Lightholder.

There's already a website and trailer on-line here. Looks suitably retro... though actually more 1950s in tone than 1970s, kinda like the "Adventures of Captain Proton" sequences in Star Trek: Voyager.

#2 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Yes, I'd even say 40s or 50s- it got the full Buck Rodgers treatment, despite ostensibly being in the 70s. That just made it more fun tho. Posted Image

#3 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

I'd love to know if they are making another one.

#4 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,488 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

I watched all 10 parts today. Very entertaining!

Here are a couple of links I found:
http://www.mercuryseries.com/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1995142/

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2015 as the Year We Move On.

#5 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

That's great that we can watch it with visual notes from the director now.

I discovered the show on the On Demand channel, and loved it!

#6 blsyfy

blsyfy

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

Are they going to have new ep?

#7 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'd like it if they would, but it's gotten so little publicity that I have doubts.

#8 JacciP

JacciP

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

I'd like it if they would, but it's gotten so little publicity that I have doubts.

It hasn't really been "put out there" advertising wise. Like you, I found it ondemand. I was hooked after epi 1.

It would be such a shame if it stops here.
~I'm yer huckleberry~

#9 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hmm. Maybe there's some publicity out there to be had for it. The delay so far wouldn't be an issue as there's no reason for it to be on time schedule, it can be picked up anytime there is an interest in it.

#10 blsyfy

blsyfy

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

Hmm. Maybe there's some publicity out there to be had for it. The delay so far wouldn't be an issue as there's no reason for it to be on time schedule, it can be picked up anytime there is an interest in it.

Can't they just release themselves or do they have to have a network behind them?

#11 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

They have to have money behind them. A network dramatically increases the eyes on the show, and vice versa, so they usually provide the money or money networking, at least.

#12 blsyfy

blsyfy

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

They have to have money behind them. A network dramatically increases the eyes on the show, and vice versa, so they usually provide the money or money networking, at least.

I could believe that, but it also depends on the network to determine the set of eyes they will get. For example looking at this show I would have use a network like AMC instead of Syfy to get my show out.

#13 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

I don't know. I've not watched AMC a lot and never watched a webseries on their site. Having this On Demand under a science fiction channel's umbrella caught my eye.

In general I don't look for web series, but sometimes I catch something on You Tube that leads to new discoveries.

But .. certainly better advertising could be used. A fun promo during a miniseries or currently Alpha and Haven would attract attention.

#14 blsyfy

blsyfy

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

I don't know. I've not watched AMC a lot and never watched a webseries on their site. Having this On Demand under a science fiction channel's umbrella caught my eye.

In general I don't look for web series, but sometimes I catch something on You Tube that leads to new discoveries.

But .. certainly better advertising could be used. A fun promo during a miniseries or currently Alpha and Haven would attract attention.

This is true a fun promo would be nice, but something Syfy doesn't really do is explore other networks to show it on, because once in a blue moon somewhere else is not going to get them new viewers. This network is becoming the same like tru TV. I feel like they are getting the network ready to be put on the selling block every part of the way they are doing things is pointing in that direction.

#15 blsyfy

blsyfy

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

I saw that the show is no longer on syfy so does that mean that they have their rights back. Maybe they can get the same distribtor as the guys that do Mortal kombat legecy that is on youtube?

#16 blsyfy

blsyfy

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hi I thought I would give you guys an update I saw this on facebook the one you want to look at is the one on  March 2nd this year sorry about being late, but please enjoy:

https://www.facebook...curymen?fref=ts

#17 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

That's pretty good - if it's being released internationally then maybe somebody smart in Canada or something might sponsor some new eps.

And DVDs!! (or jump straight to blu-ray <g>)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users