• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Sanil

Sanil

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:16 AM

Has anyone heard word on whether any future Stargate series are being considered? I'm not seeing anything beyond the 'last 10 episodes' notices and a few 'why it was cancelled' articles, which strikes me as odd. True, SGU was divisive, but aren't any of the many SG1 and Atlantis fans out there concerned that Stargate may join Star Trek as just a decaying memory, ever less relevant to younger generations? Would MGM and Syfy really allow a property with such a proven fan base escape further development.

Seems unthinkable to me. Hopefully any future Stargate will learn from SGU's failings, which can't all be blamed on a fractured schedule. I pin the blame largely on the writers, who have bought into the fad that 'realism' is the opposite of the typical show that happily ends up where it started. Rather than an endless stream of shows which unrealistically wrap with few problems and a hopeful future, this one buys into an equally unrealistic unending series of disasters, divisions, betrayals, and loss.

I hope the program executives realize that the problem isn't a tired Stargate franchise, but instead is the result of a tired writing philosophy. SGU became bogged down by a form of drama so negative that it is almost a parody of itself, or might be if it showed even a glimmer of humor. Every new handful of episodes introduced new divisions, power struggles, and mutinous behavior by the crew. The leadership was by coup, unloved by all, and the ship jerked the grim and anxious crew from one external disaster to another. If this were a real ship, the crew would have eventually formed a new hierarchy or self-imploded. This is a science fiction series that orbits around a deeply unpleasant focus on dysfunctional relationships, and is virtually empty of the science and fantasy that might take the edge off it. English and humanities majors for writers, no doubt.

I'd like to see different takes on the Stargates-- perhaps individual groups gain access, with rogues such as Vala/Claudia Black providing alternative services for other worlds (a la Firefly), or more interesting speculation on the ancients themselves, higher order Stargates, or conspiracies controlling the gates. The possibilities for the series have only begun to be tapped.

#2 ordinaryjebus

ordinaryjebus

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:49 AM

First off I'll be surprised if there isn't another attempt to make a star trek show by the end of this decade *The movie made a small fortune*. With Stargate they'll probably want to let enough time pass so that people forget SGU.

#3 JohnChriton

JohnChriton

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:10 AM

And sga

sga Sucks get over it! so does censorship! Go Buzz! GO!

#4 mbradleyc

mbradleyc

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

Rock is dead. So is science fiction. :(

#5 Thistlesw

Thistlesw

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

Stargate Universe has an ending? Seriously? Already? This show is one of the best on TV, and you want it to end? Have the writers run out of ideas? Surely, with the entire universe at their disposal, they could come up with ideas....well, to infinity! This show is a plethora of opportunity for a creative writer. What is the reason for such an obviously wrong decision? We as viewers, and the supporters of every employee and stockholder at SyFy deserve a reasonable explanation! What a disappointment this has become. Very poor judgment on someone's part!!!!!

#6 GracieValenti

GracieValenti

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

Stargate Universe has an ending? Seriously? Already? This show is one of the best on TV, and you want it to end? Have the writers run out of ideas? Surely, with the entire universe at their disposal, they could come up with ideas....well, to infinity! This show is a plethora of opportunity for a creative writer. What is the reason for such an obviously wrong decision? We as viewers, and the supporters of every employee and stockholder at SyFy deserve a reasonable explanation! What a disappointment this has become. Very poor judgment on someone's part!!!!!

Yeah, the over 1 million viewers who decided not to watch or watch live anymore. If you must place blame, place it where it is due.

#7 yongjin02

yongjin02

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

I think you must have missed the memo--or I missed one that just came out Posted Image-SGU was cancelled last fall.

#8 yongjin02

yongjin02

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Has anyone heard word on whether any future Stargate series are being considered? I'm not seeing anything beyond the 'last 10 episodes' notices and a few 'why it was cancelled' articles, which strikes me as odd. True, SGU was divisive, but aren't any of the many SG1 and Atlantis fans out there concerned that Stargate may join Star Trek as just a decaying memory, ever less relevant to younger generations? Would MGM and Syfy really allow a property with such a proven fan base escape further development.

Seems unthinkable to me. Hopefully any future Stargate will learn from SGU's failings, which can't all be blamed on a fractured schedule. I pin the blame largely on the writers, who have bought into the fad that 'realism' is the opposite of the typical show that happily ends up where it started. Rather than an endless stream of shows which unrealistically wrap with few problems and a hopeful future, this one buys into an equally unrealistic unending series of disasters, divisions, betrayals, and loss.

I hope the program executives realize that the problem isn't a tired Stargate franchise, but instead is the result of a tired writing philosophy. SGU became bogged down by a form of drama so negative that it is almost a parody of itself, or might be if it showed even a glimmer of humor. Every new handful of episodes introduced new divisions, power struggles, and mutinous behavior by the crew. The leadership was by coup, unloved by all, and the ship jerked the grim and anxious crew from one external disaster to another. If this were a real ship, the crew would have eventually formed a new hierarchy or self-imploded. This is a science fiction series that orbits around a deeply unpleasant focus on dysfunctional relationships, and is virtually empty of the science and fantasy that might take the edge off it. English and humanities majors for writers, no doubt.

I'd like to see different takes on the Stargates-- perhaps individual groups gain access, with rogues such as Vala/Claudia Black providing alternative services for other worlds (a la Firefly), or more interesting speculation on the ancients themselves, higher order Stargates, or conspiracies controlling the gates. The possibilities for the series have only begun to be tapped.

having just finished watching all of SGA and SG1 back to back on Netflix (lots of time on my hands) I agree that with as much as what was covered there is still a lot more. I thought it would be kind of cool if during one boring mission they step through a Stargate on some barren world, and find another right next to it. Of course it would have to be on a different network of Stargates (since there cannot be two operational on one planet). It was mentioned in the ep where Ba'al was stealing gates to set up his own new system of gates that would be on a seperate net from the others. This could be the same, the gate they find could connect them to some other advanced civilization, etc, etc.
from the trailers it seems like SGU is promising to reveal some kind of "answer of all answers" ending-let's hope it's not a franchise ender. I think SG is a great franchise and has a lot of potential like star trek did (and does). Its all about money and I think a lot of money can be made if someone develops a good show--the fun and excitement of SG1 and SGA and maybe a bit of the dark drama from SGU mixed in--and no Ori or Merlin type ancients please-that got very old real quick.

#9 SciphonicStranger

SciphonicStranger

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

I think any immediate future would be a direct to dvd movie for SGU. Not sure how likely that is at this point - maybe MGM is waiting to see the ratings for the next 10 episodes? :unsure:

#10 blsyfy

blsyfy

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

And sga

:DHey . I love SGA. :lol:

#11 ramonaespinosa

ramonaespinosa

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

While Universe was decent, I'm not surprise that it didn't last, considering the way that they canceled Stargate Atlantis like they did. When they did that some of the loyal fan base didn't respond well to the new franchise. I am one of those fans. IMHO they robbed Peter to pay Paul. JM and crew got greedy.

When SG1 ended, it was expected and in due time. SG1 also gave Atlantis a nice segue for a few years. It allowed the fans of SG1 to get on board with Atlantis. I understand that ratings are ratings and these shows need to pull in certain demographics, but you still need to hold on to your loyal fan base.

That said, this is a good article that lists out the various reasons behind Stargate Universe's demise. It's not one particular reason but a collection of reasons.
Posted Image

#12 Jenks2007

Jenks2007

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

Unless some a movie at the very least is green-lit within the year, I don't think we'll be seeing much Stargate for a very long time.

#13 asssvvvvxc

asssvvvvxc

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

Is there any hope for future Stargate movies?

#14 Syfyred

Syfyred

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

No one gave SGU a chance, i mean come on 1 and a half seasons in and everyone thinks they know the whole series is going to suck. . I have to say i liked where SGU was going more than SG1 and SGA but i liked both of those as well. SGU was just getting things set in place. Thanks to haters stargate will die and all the greatest space science fiction shows will no longer exist .Btw I doubt they will release movies for a long while they have no support from anything anymore so dont get your hopes up SG1 and SGA fans. Guess everyone is entitled to their opinions but when you don't support what they were currently doing you let yourself down cause future project such as the movies won't make it thru.

#15 Gatefan1976

Gatefan1976

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

No one gave SGU a chance, i mean come on 1 and a half seasons in and everyone thinks they know the whole series is going to suck. . I have to say i liked where SGU was going more than SG1 and SGA but i liked both of those as well. SGU was just getting things set in place. Thanks to haters stargate will die and all the greatest space science fiction shows will no longer exist .Btw I doubt they will release movies for a long while they have no support from anything anymore so dont get your hopes up SG1 and SGA fans. Guess everyone is entitled to their opinions but when you don't support what they were currently doing you let yourself down cause future project such as the movies won't make it thru.

No one gave SGU a chance? Thats a bit of a long bow to draw isn't it? SGU started off with ratings pretty much "on par" with the finale of SGA, so it's not too much of a stretch to think that nearly everyone who was watching SGA tuned in to watch SGU. Unfortunately for SGU, viewers steadily declined over the course of S1 *while it was still part of the Scifriday lineup*, so all the different time, different day arguments are essentially just garbage.

As to your second point, let me ask all the SGU fans a question. ATM, SGU has been cancelled. Lets say purely for the sake of argument, that SGA/SG1 did come back as a TV series, would you support it for X many years (lets say 3 because that would be the same length of time SGU was "supposed" to run) in order to see SGU continue after that?

#16 yongjin02

yongjin02

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

having not watched them regularly when they were on, I just finished watching all of sg1 and sga over a 2 month time frame. SG1- although I enjoyed it I think that if it premierd on syfy now and went on the way it did its first two seasons-it too would have gotten the boot. For 1997-sg1 was on the edge of sci fi and a lot of other programming, but the more cool stuff and sfx we the fans get, the more we want. and with SyFy now being the "imagination Station"- the bar has to be very high in visuals for any show to get a chance the way sg1 did. just IMOPosted Image

#17 Afanwhocomments

Afanwhocomments

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

This is a beaten topic at this point with ALOT of reason. And that is the problem there was more than one problem with SGU especially. I can't even watch it on reruns it's that...cumbersome/awkward if not unwatchable.

I think SyFy and producers are simply jamming their current agenda down the viewers throat. It's a reflection of society actually. It's a mindset. It's just like if a car needs some major repairs, many people would rather just trade it for a new one-if it goes beyond an oil change its 'too complicated'. Out with the old in with the new. In most facets of life many are very poor trouble shooters and fixers. They'd rather start with the proverbial clean slate. New is better, fits right in a society based on consumption.

Sad

#18 JohnChriton

JohnChriton

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Your right sga was a broke down used car with an oil leak.

sga Sucks get over it! so does censorship! Go Buzz! GO!

#19 monthebiffy

monthebiffy

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

@mbradleyc
Rock is not dead sir, check in the UK and Ireland. There are good bands left.

I will watch the new SGU eps. Why not? I mean they can't make ANYTHING worse at this point. Maybe they'll actually DO something Sci-Fi worthy. I would hate miss it after muddling through the other episodes to get here.
R.I.P. Stargate, I'll see you in 2020.

#20 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:33 AM

I will watch also. Just to see if they headed in the right direction. This show had no direction what so ever they were flopping all over the place.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users