21 replies to this topic

#21 animatroncschool

animatroncschool

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

How does one get started in special-effects make-up
Are there specialized schools and/or do various companies take on people as apprentices with little or no experience?

Thanks

i own a special fx shop in los angeles called tech works fx studios, www.techworksstudios.com we actually teach some classes on what you need to get a job in the industry. at www.learnfx.biz

all i can say is that we teach what is needed to work, no bs. there are some make up fx schools out there but they end up costing 40k or so and we never hire anyone from them. they honestly are not tought the skills neede for us to hire them. they end up sweeping floors to get in the biz. its pretty sad. those schools take their money and fill there heads with ***** and old barely usable techniques. thats why i started our course. i couldnt stand getting all of these useless resumes from these poor kids who wasted time and money and we cant even trust them to do anything. they just dont have the skills, just atitude. over the years i have taken a few in and tought them the real way to do things, the way we do them everyday in the industry. i own my own shop for over a decade, i've worked for oscar winners, greg cannom, stan winston and rick baker, i know what i'm talking about. i live it everyday. its a lot to learn but its a great industry and much better than sitting behind a desk. if you want to learn fx check out my site: www.animatronicschool.com or www.learnfx.biz

#22 animatroncschool

animatroncschool

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

READ THIS IF YOU WANT TO KNOW  HOW TO GET IN THE SPECIAL EFFECTS AND MAKUP EFFECTS INDUSTRY.

the truth is that its hard to get in my industry, you need to be where the shops are, have some serious skills or be willing to sell your soul.  ok maybe not that. I own and FX company and have for 13 years, Tech Works FX Studios,  we just relocated to New Orleans and I love it here.

ME (Valek Sykes): I've worked for almost 2 decades doing this stuff. I've worked for Stan Winston, Rick Baker and Greg Cannom, the best of our time.

Since I'm a shop owner and I hire people to do effects and I can tell you the truth about what you need to know and how the industry works. its not like face off , its not how the makeup schools  send you off after you spend 20 to 40k. its all *****. (But I love FACE OFF because its about our industry) that's why I started a small school in my working effects shop , so I could take on 4-8 people a couple times a year to teach them the skills needed to work.      Will you be a make up artist, no.  will you be a make up artist after going to a make up school where you spend tens of thousands and waste  a ton of time,, no. duh. That's not how it works. you cant just pay money and do some crappy work and expect to get into the effects industry. sorry to burst the bubble but you probably have no talent. its ok, most people don't  and it takes time to develop it if you have any. Remember you want to work in an industry that has the absolute best, if you are not as good and as fast you have no chance of getting hired for your talent. its that simple. plus as an owner I cant trust you to represent my company.

NOW THE SOLUTION,  I had so much passion and I wanted it so bad that I could taste it.  locally I had talent, and I'm good looking and I had the drive to make it happen, even before the internet was easily giving you all the info in the world that you can use to find shops or learns some things. Here's the truth, I can hire you tomorrow if you have skills that I need. skills people, not talent. myself or any shop could care less about your talent for some time.  being a make up artist or sculptor is a glory job that we hire only the trusted best. not you. But if you can make molds and run fiberglass and silicone and you understand what to look for so you don't cost me time or money, you can be of value to a shop. I teach these skills when we do our small FX school. I know what it takes to get a job and what skills are needed to work.  I'm not drumming up business for my school, I don't do it often and its not making me money, but it does give me the satisfaction that Im helping people  with the drive  and passion I have and saving them from wasting tons of cash  and time on make up schools that pump pout hundreds of people looking for work in an industry that has about 3k of people in it at best.  these students graduate, send me the same resumes as the rest of them , show me crappy work, they focus on their talent because that's what these schools talk about, and they barely know anything about what it takes to work in a shop.  So then I say "go work on set". lets just say there's a ton of new waiters out there. I'm harshly honest about this. I don't care if you go to my little school, but I am doing my best to point out the real way it works so take it or leave it.  I have to go pull a creature head out of the mold anyway.  to understand more, you can look me up, check out my websites,  Learnfx.biz and techworksstudios.com but just understand what you are getting into. cheers, Valek Sykes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users