Photo
- - - - -

Why Would SYFY not Air Out There after it was made?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Slyfu

Slyfu

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

For anyone that does not know Dan Aykroyd made an entire first season of a talk show for SyFy called "Out There" that was about auctal UFO/Alien events. Then before it aired for no explained reason by SyFy they cut the project. Why would they allow him to make a whole season not just a pilot unless they where going to launch it? This was a big mistake on SyFy's part as I think many would have enjoyed this show, and I find it very strange they cut this after filming a whole season something seems fishy to me, and I would like to know the reason why.

#2 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

As I recall, the format wasn't working, and the Sci-Fi Channel kicked it back to Aykroyd only a few weeks after production began and asked him to revise it. I don't think anything close to an entire season was filmed, as you suggest... and what had been completed was, I think, simply repackaged and released straight to DVD as Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs.

#3 ThPrimes

ThPrimes

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

...something seems fishy to me, and I would like to know the reason why.

You will know why after watching it.

released straight to DVD as Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs.

and on Netflix streaming. (account required to use the link) It says I watched 21m out of 81m. I wanted to finish it but I just couldn't.

The film consists of a tight head shot on Dan Aykroyd chain smoking in a hotel room. As an alternative to watching the sweat bead on his brow for hour and a half, this intimate monologue is interspersed with stock photographs and footage of UFOs. The same tired images everyone, even the casually interested, have seen many times over many years - History Channel, TLC, Discovery Channel, Weekly World News... Unfortunately most the material is very well known, very well documented hoaxes. Some are decades old. Skeptics and true believers agree on one point: the very best UFO pictures are easily perceived as detailed physical objects, are indisputably metallic looking, and are built by hoaxers for purposes of hoaxing pictures. If it's got portholes, it's fake. Seeing these again is boring. The same ones even repeat after twenty minutes. Not singling out this video by any means because most UFO specials commit the same sin, recycle known hoax pictures. And this must be a post-production decision without his involvement or knowledge, so I wouldn't blame Dan Akroyd for the cheesiness. But that doesn't matter, because the extra material undermines his credibility while he shares his opinions. With the slide show going, and Aykroyd reduced to a voice over, it stops mattering what he happens to be saying. Yeah, it's that bad.

However what is interesting, amazing really, is his encyclopedic knowledge of the entire subject from memory. Get out of the hotel room. Get rid of the interviewer. Get rid of the cheap licensed archival footage. Put Dan in a Winnebago and have him go on the road to visit all of these places. Let Dan interview people. Who doesn't love Dan Aykroyd? It easily could become one of the highest rated reality shows Syfy has hosted. No different than with the loyal Ghost Hunters audience, finding him persuasive or believing he's lost his mind is irrelevant.

The problem is most fans watching this video will bitterly feel Dan Aykroyd was taken advantage of, exploited, by cheap dodgy amateurs. The legitimacy of UFOs, or lack thereof, is not the issue here, but the presentation. The lack of polish simply makes it unsuitable for television, Syfy or any channel. I'd like to see him have another shot. He's certainly a UFO guru with conviction.

If this had been an actual emergency, your email wouldn't have worked then either
{"res":{},"error":{"code":"3002","msg":"3002"}}

#4 Attani

Attani

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

"Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs" isn't "Out There". "Unplugged" was made afterwards.

#5 NCPapi

NCPapi

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

For anyone that does not know Dan Aykroyd made an entire first season of a talk show for SyFy called "Out There" that was about auctal UFO/Alien events. Then before it aired for no explained reason by SyFy they cut the project. Why would they allow him to make a whole season not just a pilot unless they where going to launch it? This was a big mistake on SyFy's part as I think many would have enjoyed this show, and I find it very strange they cut this after filming a whole season something seems fishy to me, and I would like to know the reason why.

#6 NCPapi

NCPapi

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

Tip: click inside this box to load the editorI have just watched Dan Akyroyd's "Unplugged On UFOs," with David Seveda (Cooper) on NetFlix. Fascinating recall, Dan has, no? I have not been able to find any CDs or downloads for the cancelled-before-it-aired "Out There" series, which was filmed by Dan Aykroyd. Does anyone out there no where I can find this series? I would very much like to get and watch it! Thanks! Papi

#7 Cazchris

Cazchris

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

While watching the rather long Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs, he does discuss (at 1:01:50 or so) the day the show was canceled and filming suspended. He describes a very odd encounter with a black Ford sedan and a tall man stood and gave him a serious/dirty look. Not much later, he was notified that the show was canceled.

Hmm...

Would love to see the 'Out There' show too!
--Cazchris

#8 ThPrimes

ThPrimes

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

While watching the rather long Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs, he does discuss (at 1:01:50 or so) the day the show was canceled and filming suspended.

Well there you go. So he did interview people himself for the series. Thanks for watching the whole thing and sharing.

DVD is fine but, for example, VODO alone has a total viewership of 16 million, higher than any Syfy reality show. If Dan wants to put the series out himself, and retained enough ownership to do so, online distribution will reach the most people.

If this had been an actual emergency, your email wouldn't have worked then either
{"res":{},"error":{"code":"3002","msg":"3002"}}

#9 Lunarautumn1

Lunarautumn1

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

As I recall, the format wasn't working, and the Sci-Fi Channel kicked it back to Aykroyd only a few weeks after production began and asked him to revise it. I don't think anything close to an entire season was filmed, as you suggest... and what had been completed was, I think, simply repackaged and released straight to DVD as Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs.

Actually i just watched an interview with him that was an hour and twenty one min long and he discussed this show he made 8 episodes and as he was finishing up the last episode for the first season he was told that the plug had been pulled and none of the episodes would be aired also

John Mack, one of the most important guests on his show that Dan mentions, was mysteriously found dead in a foreign country - the supposed "victim of a traffic accident." so you tell me but Dan did say he was thinking about putting iy on disk and selling it that way so let's hope he does if you want to see this interview it is called

Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs 2012 take a look on you tube it was VERY interesting

#10 Lunarautumn1

Lunarautumn1

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

Actually i just watched an interview with him that was an hour and twenty one min long and he discussed this show he made 8 episodes and as he was finishing up the last episode for the first season he was told that the plug had been pulled and none of the episodes would be aired also

John Mack, one of the most important guests on his show that Dan mentions, was mysteriously found dead in a foreign country - the supposed "victim of a traffic accident." so you tell me but Dan did say he was thinking about putting iy on disk and selling it that way so let's hope he does if you want to see this interview it is called

Dan Aykroyd Unplugged on UFOs 2012 take a look on you tube it was VERY interesting

just like the link you posted but that's the interview not the show

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users