#1 JS956

JS956

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

http://tvbythenumber...h-season/93286/

Well the speculation is over. DT has been renewed for a 5th season but much like I suspected - only for a half season of 7 episodes. Also, the episodes will air in early 2012 and not fall of 2011 like the Syfy website first stated. When a show gets its season cut in half it means it's on its way to getting cancelled. The fact that the premiere has been pushed back to 2012 is also a very bad sign.

#2 MoeGreene

MoeGreene

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

Well the speculation is over. DT has been renewed for a 5th season but much like I suspected - only for a half season of 7 episodes. Also, the episodes will air in early 2012 and not fall of 2011 like the Syfy website first stated. When a show gets its season cut in half it means it's on its way to getting cancelled. The fact that the premiere has been pushed back to 2012 is also a very bad sign.

Thanks for the news JS. It is good that there will be another half season but overall I think it is bad news for the future of the show. Like I said and this is just my opinion, that Syfy assumed that they would be renewing a full season and so they started production of the first half of season 5, then the ratings came in and they made the decision not to do a full renewal. Since they already had shows in production anyways which would be considered the season 5 episodes they just went ahead and made an official half season renewal. If Syfy really had confidence in DT they would have done a full season renewal. I think these shows will be the last for DT unless there is a huge turnaround in ratings. DT will need to get to 1.2 million viewers average per episode. I would suggest that people watch the show live or on the same day with their DVR. Those are the ratings that count the most.

#3 JS956

JS956

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Yes, I think you're right MoeGreene. I think that's exactly what happened. I also think it's really bad news that the new episodes won't air until almost a year after season 4 ended. That's not going to help the ratings at all and Syfy knows it. It's pretty clear they have no faith in the show anymore and they're just fulfilling whatever commitments they have to it.
I highly doubt anything is going to save this show. The paranormal trend is dying and DT as well as Ghost hunters and Ghost Hunters International are all losing popularity. They had a good run but I think it's over for them.

#4 GingerFaith

GingerFaith

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

I'm so happy that the show is returning regardless of the air date.Even though it may not be until 2012 it may be a good thing.All the fans waiting for the new season may bring in high ratings for those 7 episodes.I'm sure SyFy will do tons of pr work and commericals promoting the new shows before they air.Plus in the few months before it airs means they will show tons reruns all the time and all day marathons to bring back the fans interest and even get new viewers.This long wait may be exactly what the show needs for higher ratings.Now as fans it's oour job to keep the word out about the show and promote like crazy!Keep our favorite show on air and do whatever it takes to get the attention DT deserves by spreading the good news about another season.
Ginger Faith

#5 JS956

JS956

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

Ginger Faith, your optimism is adorable and I really do hate to rain on your parade but don't be fooled by this renewal. The show is as good as cancelled. Another thing is, it's not going to take them very long to film 7 episodes and Syfy isn't going to pay them to sit around until "early 2012" while the crew prays for another renewal. As soon as they episodes are filmed everyone on the show will no longer be getting paid and will be out looking for new jobs. They'll all probably be working new jobs by the time these episodes air. The network is not expecting an increase in ratings and is not planning on renewing it again. That's exactly why they pushed the premiere back.

#6 GingerFaith

GingerFaith

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Ginger Faith, your optimism is adorable and I really do hate to rain on your parade but don't be fooled by this renewal. The show is as good as cancelled. Another thing is, it's not going to take them very long to film 7 episodes and Syfy isn't going to pay them to sit around until "early 2012" while the crew prays for another renewal. As soon as they episodes are filmed everyone on the show will no longer being getting paid and will be out looking for new jobs. They'll all probably be working new jobs by the time these episodes air. The network is not expecting an increase in ratings and is not planning on renewing it again. That's exactly why they pushed the premiere back.

Your not raining on any parade of mine.I just keep a positive outlook on things.The same thing said evey year about
GH and DT and look how many seasons both shows have been on now.I'll keep spreading the word about both shows but I now remember why I stopped coming to GH on here.Same old negative nellies like before.
Ginger Faith

#7 JS956

JS956

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 09:35 AM

I'm really really not trying to be negative. I'm just pointing out the truth. I like Josh a lot, he's a local boy from my mom's hometown so I have nothing against him, I just don't see much of a future for this show. Perhaps I am wrong though. Stranger things have happened.

#8 GingerFaith

GingerFaith

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

I'm really really not trying to be negative. I'm just pointing out the truth. I like Josh a lot, he's a local boy from my mom's hometown so I have nothing against him, I just don't see much of a future for this show. Perhaps I am wrong though. Stranger things have happened.

I hope that your not being negative.I know the by numbers that the show is not doing as well as it use to.Which it happens to every show but SyFy seems loyal to their "employees'.So I look at it this way to "keep the faith" that the show will resume.This is a good show with a wonderful cast,they all need jobs to support them and their families so the need to renew the show is important to them.Renewing the show means a paycheck for them and weekly entertain for us.So here's to crossing fingers, toes and eyes that stranger things can and will happen.:)
Ginger Faith

#9 WindofNight

WindofNight

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

I for one certainly hope that DT continues to be produced for years to come. With the loss of any actually good shows on TV DT is the only show I really watch consistantly on any channel. I find it interesting, especially the cultural and travel segments they provide. If it was just investigating then I likely wouldnt watch it at all

Until sci-fi comes out and says that DT is canceled, or one of the crew says something to that effect I will continue to keep a positive outlook and wait patiently for more

#10 ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

I think splitting the last season in two really hurt the show. I hate when networks play half the season then take a break and play the second half later. I think it hurts the momentum of the show.

#11 Lacey2

Lacey2

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:30 AM

If SyFy airs it on Tuesdays again, the show will be up against the same powerhouses that squashed it this year. If they would move it away from that horrible time slot and promote it well it could have a fighting chance but they really seem to have lost interest. Which is a shame because lately there is NOTHING worth watching on SyFy.

#12 MAMACOOP

MAMACOOP

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

WTH????? DT is a wonderful show!!!!!!! i'd much rather watch it than Smackdown!!! Please, SYFY, take into consideration your loyal audience before doing any thing stupid, like cancelling DT!!! Also, how about some reruns of it until 2012!?

#13 khobar

khobar

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

I think Josh @ Co. need to get back to consulting experts rather than plumbers. For me that is what has really hurt the show.

#14 MikeWitt70

MikeWitt70

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

I now he has to fly all over the world but just give us a whole season please!

#15 MikeWitt70

MikeWitt70

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:34 PM

Sorry, I know he has to fly all over the world. :)

#16 WindofNight

WindofNight

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

I think Josh @ Co. need to get back to consulting experts rather than plumbers. For me that is what has really hurt the show.

I would agree with that but its seems DT has become a bit of a cross promotion show. Now Im not against cross promotion so they could pull one of the GH team along and I would be totally fine with that. However going to them for evidence analysis all the time...well considering I think the GHs are less then credible I dislike the idea of them doing any kind of evidence analysis.

However to be fair, I highly doubt its Josh's choice to fall back on them when his team have shown themselves to be perfectly capable of evidence analysis in the past

#17 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:46 PM

However to be fair, I highly doubt its Josh's choice to fall back on them when his team have shown themselves to be perfectly capable of evidence analysis in the past

I agree, he's at the whim of SciFi in this I'm sure.

Having an open mind is a two-way street

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#18 Oddtym

Oddtym

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

What on Earth! No shows until 2012!? That's ridiculous!
Good there is to be a 5th season. However, Sy Fy appears to be deliberately sabatouging a good show. Maybe its too expensive to produce? Changing the show's air time to a Tuesday is good as saying its canceled. Thursday night is awful for television. If Poirot and "Doc Martin" weren't on, it would be a ready or snoozing night for sure.
So now we're stuck with shows like "Fact or Fake?" Some of their experiments are so stupid its hard to watch. "Paranormal Hunters" not impressed. I won't be sad to see either of those shows gone.

#19 Oddtym

Oddtym

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

And I agree about the Ghost Hunters analysis for Destination Truth evidence. Josh Gates doesn't need GH. Using GH diminishes not enhances the credibility of the DT team because Destination Truth uses experts in the field, PH.ds and such...or use to.

#20 Lacey2

Lacey2

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

Who is really an expert in the paranormal field? A person having a PhD in something doesn't automatically make that person an expert in paranormal activity. The GH guys have at least been at this for a very long time and some of Grant's activities being questionable doesn't change that.

That said, I'd prefer if there was less interaction between the two shows too. Part of the problem for me is that if GH looks questionable to some people now then that suspicion will just be reflected on DT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users