• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 JetZ

JetZ

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

John Zaffis it pronounced LIBRARY - BRARY not BARY!

This show is a reality version of Friday the 13th the series.

#2 WhoForted

WhoForted

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Posted Image

#3 JS956

JS956

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who was annoyed by that

#4 spooky1953

spooky1953

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Awesome picture - love it !!!

#5 durbry

durbry

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Well, if we're going to be technical about it, it's spelled "pronounced", not pronouced. Just sayin'......

#6 jaden316

jaden316

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

I watched the first half of the show partly interested, but a little suspicious when he took the pistol and added it to his personal collection. I was willing to give the 2nd half a shot until he repeatedly mispronounced LIBRARY. It's not like it's tricky spelling. Many words in the English language don't sound anything remotely like they are spelled. LIBRARY is spelled exactly like it sounds and I know for a fact that it appeared in giant letters on the outside of the building because they showed it. But my question is, why wouldn't SOMEONE (production crew, other cast members) correct him? I guess they don't care that me made himself look like an idiot on television.

#7 fldino

fldino

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

I heard it as BERRY. Just as annoying.

#8 zuzubee

zuzubee

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:36 PM

LOL! I thought I was the only one who heard that extremely annoying mispronunciation. LibRary is where they have books. LibeRRy must be some mysterious fruit.

#9 julesrulesny

julesrulesny

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

I watched the first half of the show partly interested, but a little suspicious when he took the pistol and added it to his personal collection. I was willing to give the 2nd half a shot until he repeatedly mispronounced LIBRARY. It's not like it's tricky spelling. Many words in the English language don't sound anything remotely like they are spelled. LIBRARY is spelled exactly like it sounds and I know for a fact that it appeared in giant letters on the outside of the building because they showed it. But my question is, why wouldn't SOMEONE (production crew, other cast members) correct him? I guess they don't care that me made himself look like an idiot on television.

It's a dialect thing. without a doubt. I live in NYC, rarely do I hear anyone ever say "Lie-brare-y" as the way it should be pronounced. Just like I posted in another thread, many words do not get pronounced the way they should.. People living in CT are no different and suffer from it as well, LOL. I for one, am embarrassed with the way I talk sometimes.. but I just can't get rid of it. So, its nothing to do with education or whatever.. Its just the way its said.. Like Tomata, Potata, Arrange(organge), dawg, tawk, wawk, carrh(car), etc.. it didn't bother me I guess just b/c I "thawt" it was normal, lol..

#10 NGPRS

NGPRS

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

I could hardly make it through the episode listening to this guy calling it a "lie barry". Uggh.

#11 NGPRS

NGPRS

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

I could hardly make it through the episode listening to this guy calling it a "lie barry". Uggh.

#12 Zaffis

Zaffis

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:49 PM

#13 rf12391

rf12391

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:09 PM

OMG Thank you!

#14 MikeWitt70

MikeWitt70

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

I think SyFy agrees. The are running an all day Friday the 13th marathon. Sorry but the original was fun. The Haunted Collector, not so much. Mr. Zaffis isn't looking for cursed objects he's trying to add to his collection so he can charge more for people to come see his *****.
Thank you SyFy, Thanks to you I've learned that Mythbusters in on Wednesday nights and it's not half bad.

#15 puddintane

puddintane

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Mike, you're kinda off base on some of your comments here. John has been collecting objects well before the show Friday the 13th - it's just that the tv show has been in the media long before John has been. Yeah the show was great but it didn't come first.

He doesn't charge to visit his museum so your other point is off base as well.

I think SyFy agrees. The are running an all day Friday the 13th marathon. Sorry but the original was fun. The Haunted Collector, not so much. Mr. Zaffis isn't looking for cursed objects he's trying to add to his collection so he can charge more for people to come see his *****.
Thank you SyFy, Thanks to you I've learned that Mythbusters in on Wednesday nights and it's not half bad.

#16 QuietQuilt

QuietQuilt

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

How did no one tell him how to say library before airing it! I cringed each time he said it. My husband has been to the library in Deep River CT and his best friend lives there and no one ever heard that the library was haunted.

#17 QuietQuilt

QuietQuilt

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

It's a dialect thing. without a doubt. I live in NYC, rarely do I hear anyone ever say "Lie-brare-y" as the way it should be pronounced. Just like I posted in another thread, many words do not get pronounced the way they should.. People living in CT are no different and suffer from it as well, LOL. I for one, am embarrassed with the way I talk sometimes.. but I just can't get rid of it. So, its nothing to do with education or whatever.. Its just the way its said.. Like Tomata, Potata, Arrange(organge), dawg, tawk, wawk, carrh(car), etc.. it didn't bother me I guess just b/c I "thawt" it was normal, lol..

I am from CT and it is no dialect thing, it is lack of education. Maybe no ever told him.. or it is just a bad habit? But in comparision, his pronounciation is more tollerable than the bad investigation.

#18 3Boys_Mommy

3Boys_Mommy

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:48 PM

[quote name='JetZ' date='02 June 2011 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1307066224' post='6952603']

....Except it's not as cool as Friday the 13th!

#19 TheMightyZan

TheMightyZan

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

I am from CT and it is no dialect thing, it is lack of education. Maybe no ever told him.. or it is just a bad habit? But in comparision, his pronounciation is more tollerable than the bad investigation.

Lack of education has nothing to do with it, unless someone has NO education. It CAN be a dialect thing. I know several educated people who pronounce things weird down here in TN, and it's simply because that's the way you hear people talk, and pick it up yourself. Even I pronounce Hollow, holler, and I have a master's degree.

I don't think he thinks about his dialect when he is talking, it is obvious he has a distinct accent when he talks, that's not bad habit, that's how you were raised and how those around you talk. It's hard to break that sort of thing.

#20 Lenapizka

Lenapizka

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:42 AM

Of all the things about this show you guys could complain about, it's how to pronounce Library. x.x For goodness sakes, so many people, educated or not, have trouble pronouncing some words. The smartest girl in my highschool couldn't pronounce pumpkin no matter how hard she tried to, it always came out "punkin." But unless you want to get called on everything you ever screw up saying, you shouldn't make fun of how another person talks so openly.I'll admit, I did notice it and go to correct. lol But it's not that bad, it's just how he talks. You people are gonna lose your minds if something small like that bothers you to this point, be nice. =pI'm a fan of the show and its members, though a lot of what they do seems too...uh...planned I guess, but it's still fun to watch, real or not. ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users