#2 ThPrimes

ThPrimes

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

V + Walking Dead = Falling Skies on TNT this summer:

They wrapped principal photography on the first ten episodes in November. TNT will avoid the catastrophic trend of let's show the pilot then make everyone wait a year for the series. And debut in the lull between storms of The Walking Dead's unexpected surprise domination of cable. A short season like TWD, then off to hide in safe hiatus harbors when TWD returns. Hey Syfy! This is how a network actively take steps to nurture a show and guard against competition.

Falling Skies has some curious advantages in its favor like a unique blend of very good writers. Besides the famous people... I finally found out who the anonymous Joel Thompson is. That's Joel Anderson Thompson executive story editor of the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica. Squeeeee! Posted Image So him and Mark Verheiden in the room is old school BSG mojo of a different flavor than the Jane Espenson nouveau BSG mojo carried over into Caprica. Melinda Hsu Taylor worked on seasons four and five of Lost with increasing responsibility. So perhaps rudely and incorrectly I surmise someone had a lot of money and hired what was hire-able from Battlestar and Lost for Falling Skies. I jest. Back to the famous people, Saving Private Ryan + HBO's The Pacific = Falling Skies. Interesting marriage of (some award winning) scifi writers with (huge award winning) straight war drama writers who have no scifi experience.

Big plus: Will Patton. Long overdue for a hit.

Big minus. Noah Wyle's comments at Comic Con. Something along the lines of: our shows eschews the dark and gritty, the flawed characters, the grim despair of those other shows. Our show is about Patriotism™. Psst... tea party television watchers welcome.

Big plus or minus: Jessy Schram on a motorcycle is purportedly (deliberately) styled to be the best bad assiest twentysomething chick since Starbuck. We'll see. I believe this is her very first action role.

Big plus or minus: Steven Spielberg was more hands on with Falling Skies' pilot and less hands off executive producer than with his other recent projects.

If this had been an actual emergency, your email wouldn't have worked then either
{"res":{},"error":{"code":"3002","msg":"3002"}}

#3 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

Been looking forward to this series. Looks awesome can't wait to see it. I hope it is as good as it looks. The special effects look first class hopefully the story line will follow.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#4 ThPrimes

ThPrimes

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

I'm excited to see Robert Rodat get into science fiction. I don't know yet if it is a good or bad thing Falling Skies shares so many broad strokes in common with his last work, Mel Gibson's The Patriot. Was he, is he now, really "into" science fiction? There are so many excellent writers tied up into Falling Skies its almost a brain drain on the rest of the competition. No matter how the pilot fares, I'm eager to see the subsequent episodes.

If this had been an actual emergency, your email wouldn't have worked then either

#5 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

I saw a preview of it when I went to see Super 8 today. I was interested before, now I'm psyched!

Posted Image
Reviews of SF, Fantasy & Horror books, movies, TV, comics at templetongate.net

#6 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

Big minus. Noah Wyle's comments at Comic Con. Something along the lines of: our shows eschews the dark and gritty, the flawed characters, the grim despair of those other shows. Our show is about Patriotismô. Psst... tea party television watchers welcome.

Why would this be a big minus I say it is refreshing from the same old same old. Dark and gritty so far has not worked for BSG Caprica and SGU. I guess you like show showing the worst in humans not the best.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#7 Astacius

Astacius

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

I'm definitely going to check this out. Looks a lot better than anything currently on syfy.

#8 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

The TNT station locally has Falling Skies from 9-11 central then repeated again from 11-1 for those who can't catch the earlier time. If needed, check your local guide to see if the show repeats for you. It should be an exciting two-hour pilot.

Syfy member since April 1999

#9 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

The TNT station locally has Falling Skies from 9-11 central then repeated again from 11-1 for those who can't catch the earlier time. If needed, check your local guide to see if the show repeats for you. It should be an exciting two-hour pilot.

That should be 9-11 EST. It will be 8-10 in the Central time zone. Even if you are in Texas, your cable company gets the TNT Eastern satellite feed, so all stated times in on air promos will be EST.

Posted Image
Reviews of SF, Fantasy & Horror books, movies, TV, comics at templetongate.net

#10 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

That should be 9-11 EST. It will be 8-10 in the Central time zone. Even if you are in Texas, your cable company gets the TNT Eastern satellite feed, so all stated times in on air promos will be EST.

Actually, my cable company has three TNT channels. I wasn't speaking of on-air promos but of what I can see on my cable box in central time. I have TNT-HDE that has Falling Skies from 8-10c and 10-12c (what you're talking about), TNT-HD has the show from 9-11c and 11-1c (what I was talking about), and TNT-HDW following Transformers at 11-1 and 1-3.

Syfy member since April 1999

#11 mike1977usa

mike1977usa

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

I'm definitely going to check this out. Looks a lot better than anything currently on syfy.

It's probably because they are too busy trying to aquire rebroadcast rights to Tosh.0 or Crank Yankers. :lol:

#12 ThPrimes

ThPrimes

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Falling Skies has taken over YouTube! ...the front page anyway... which isn't the YouTube subscriber front page... so here's the unlisted video. Coolest :30 spot yet.

Trivia: 'Fear the Skies' is a riff off of what movie?

#13 soundping

soundping

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

T minus 30minutes.. :)

#14 soundping

soundping

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

The two legged Walkers are modified humans.

#15 eber322

eber322

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:59 AM

Obviously the "robots" are actually cyborgs with the bodies, or at least the minds, of the harnessed kids controlling them. That's why they are bipedal, that's what type of bodies human minds are set up to control.

Pretty good show, decent start to the series.
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God.
Posted Image

#16 foozle

foozle

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:26 AM

I really did not think I would like this show, but hey it's sci-fi, so I set it up to DVR. It looked like a cross between War of the Worlds, V, and Independence Day, judging by the previews.

I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure whether it was the story, the characters, or the writing, but I liked it. So...some sci-fi to look forward to on Sunday nights, I hope they keep up the good work.Posted Image

"Just a little case of mood poisoning...must be something I hate." David Warner, Wild Palms

Some days it's just not worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

#17 ThPrimes

ThPrimes

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

Not bad at all and certainly not self-contradicting ridiculous like The Event or V. When aliens aren't allowed to talk, it gets ever so much better. Both Roush and Poniewozik called Falling Skies popcorn entertainment of limited ambition or some such. By striving for less the end product is a much better show overall. Metacritic score 70 out of 22 reviews.

I liked how Tom, the history teacher as nascent strategic genius, gets his strategist butt resoundingly kicked. See George Washington in the American Revolution. Also that Will Patton's character isn't one dimensional but shows wisdom. He complains about being saddled with civilians but later rightly has to say no repeatedly because he is protecting those very civilians. I was surprised that the pilot's action scenes were modest. I guess Saving Private Ryan's creative team is saving its ace in the hole for later.

Colin "John Pope" Cunningham is a welcome addition as the unexpectedly less annoying obligatory bad boy sidekick, "I'll take a rest
for a little while. Being the leader of a post-apocalyptic gang of outlaws has been exhausting."
Posted Image

#18 Vendikarr

Vendikarr

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

Of course. That's what the children with the things on their spine are for.

Posted Image

"I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I've got absolutely no problem leaving the exact same way."

#19 sperminator

sperminator

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

none of my local affiliates air this show.:(
Posted Image

#20 Vendikarr

Vendikarr

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

none of my local affiliates air this show.:(

You don't get the cable channel TNT?

Posted Image

"I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I've got absolutely no problem leaving the exact same way."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users