• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 BeattyBCD3

BeattyBCD3

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Does anyone know why the crew on Ghost Hunters never uses the thermal imaging camera anymore like they did in the earlier seasons of the show? Both my husband and I are curious as to why they stopped. It seemed they caught more things that seemed real on the thermal imaging camera.

#2 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Does anyone know why the crew on Ghost Hunters never uses the thermal imaging camera anymore like they did in the earlier seasons of the show? Both my husband and I are curious as to why they stopped. It seemed they caught more things that seemed real on the thermal imaging camera.

Because "What was that?" and "Did you hear that?" and "So, we all heard that, right?" is much more nebulous and easier to perform. Their methods never were "scientific" but now they seem to be even abandoning the instruments in favor of just going with personal experiences.

Having an open mind is a two-way street

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#3 BeattyBCD3

BeattyBCD3

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

Because "What was that?" and "Did you hear that?" and "So, we all heard that, right?" is much more nebulous and easier to perform. Their methods never were "scientific" but now they seem to be even abandoning the instruments in favor of just going with personal experiences.

They do that now though, "What was that?" Or "Did you hear that?" They rarely if ever catch anything now. At least with the thermal imaging camera they caught images of what seemed like spirits. Now they you don't even see that. We just go on what they think they saw. I'd like to see what they saw if they saw something like before. Makes it more believeable at least.

#4 Wingnut62

Wingnut62

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

I too have wondered why GH changed course and direction in their program; they come a long way from episode 1 and have done quite well as a popular series. Each episode, they unload and set up all that electronic camera DVR gear--and the best they manage to get are maybe a few EVPs, K-2 'hits' and some responses using that cool flashlight method???

OK....by fair turn: I agree with Jason's statement, "Ghosts don't always appear on cue." Strong part of me trusts the integrity of Jason, Grant and their TAPS crew---but we never see the shadows they claim on spot to see and they abandoned the idea of wearing small eye level cameras so we see what they see.

The Florida lighthouse investigation was the best GH episode that presented cool camera recorded evidence. The disembodied voices on episode in the former sanitarium in California and inside that post Civil War fortress, both reach a close second best.

I don't think Jason, Grant and TAPS can ever be accused of staging events; I don't question their integrity. What we see in the GH episodes is pretty much par for course for any paranormal investigation crew---mostly shadow play on the eyes, plenty of EVPs and a rare video capture of ghostly images. Still and all--I'm a die hard GH fan and love the show.

#5 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

I don't think Jason, Grant and TAPS can ever be accused of staging events; I don't question their integrity.

I think they can; and I do in some cases. That "cool" flashlight trick for one...

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#6 BeattyBCD3

BeattyBCD3

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

I too have wondered why GH changed course and direction in their program; they come a long way from episode 1 and have done quite well as a popular series. Each episode, they unload and set up all that electronic camera DVR gear--and the best they manage to get are maybe a few EVPs, K-2 'hits' and some responses using that cool flashlight method???

OK....by fair turn: I agree with Jason's statement, "Ghosts don't always appear on cue." Strong part of me trusts the integrity of Jason, Grant and their TAPS crew---but we never see the shadows they claim on spot to see and they abandoned the idea of wearing small eye level cameras so we see what they see.

The Florida lighthouse investigation was the best GH episode that presented cool camera recorded evidence. The disembodied voices on episode in the former sanitarium in California and inside that post Civil War fortress, both reach a close second best.

I don't think Jason, Grant and TAPS can ever be accused of staging events; I don't question their integrity. What we see in the GH episodes is pretty much par for course for any paranormal investigation crew---mostly shadow play on the eyes, plenty of EVPs and a rare video capture of ghostly images. Still and all--I'm a die hard GH fan and love the show.

I still love the show also. I just wished they'd go back to the thermal imaging camera. On that they caught things alot more often then they do now. And we got to see it. The sanatorium hospital they caught what looked like a little boy running across the hall, in another place they caught what looked like a civil war soldier looking back at them, and on a Louisanna plantation, they caught something running across in front of them. We saw all of this when they were using the thermal imaging. Now we don't see anything, only get a few voices they catch here and there. I just wished they go back to what they were using when they first started doing the shows. That's what made the show so popular and clicked for most of us.

#7 hauntedtvwatcher

hauntedtvwatcher

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

Because "What was that?" and "Did you hear that?" and "So, we all heard that, right?" is much more nebulous and easier to perform.  Their methods never were "scientific" but now they seem to be even abandoning the instruments in favor of just going with personal experiences.

#8 Deepvoid

Deepvoid

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

The lighthouses investigations were some of the best episodes. I have to agree that early GH episodes were far better than the most recent ones.

#9 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

in another place they caught what looked like a civil war soldier looking back at them, and on a Louisanna plantation, they caught something running across in front of them.

For the "civil war soldier" you should check Dreamsinger's site with a very detailed analysis of it...which appears to be a Grant reflection. As far as "Sheetie"....some problems with that one.

#10 tipihome

tipihome

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

all of the thermal evidence was highly controversial.
Much having to do with the way they use and explain the actions of the camera.

There are many of us who really enjoyed the earlier seasons of GH and I am beginning to think that even though the Brian drama was silly it really captured the original intent of the show... which was to show us the Hunters. I feel absolutely no connection to any hunters any more and they come and go with out notice.
I know they have been making many changes in the editing and filming and it has truly changed the flavor of the recent seasons. I rather they return to the earlier formula.
I would even enjoy a new episode with Andy Andrews back!

native2.gif

#11 Blkops

Blkops

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

all of the thermal evidence was highly controversial.
Much having to do with the way they use and explain the actions of the camera.

There are many of us who really enjoyed the earlier seasons of GH and I am beginning to think that even though the Brian drama was silly it really captured the original intent of the show... which was to show us the Hunters. I feel absolutely no connection to any hunters any more and they come and go with out notice.
I know they have been making many changes in the editing and filming and it has truly changed the flavor of the recent seasons. I rather they return to the earlier formula.
I would even enjoy a new episode with Andy Andrews back!

Oh God...not Andy Andrews!!!! :lol: :lol:

#12 tipihome

tipihome

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

I can not believe I said that :blush:

native2.gif

#13 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

He really struck me the wrong way but I will give him his desire to debunk. He seemed to be all over the place sometimes, though.

#14 cbc72

cbc72

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

You may want to read through some of the below thread.

In regards to using the FLIR thermal image camera, what it comes down to is this, if ghosts exist, what are they?

Because a thermal camera can only see heat radiated by solid objects, so if they are using to see a ghost, the ghost would have to have some mass and radiating heat/energy for the camera to be able to "see" that.

Think of it this way, if it could see air temperature, the only thing it would record is the temperature of the air directly in front of the lens.

http://forums.syfy.c...1

#15 eagle020

eagle020

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, most of this has been covered exhaustively in older threads. You might want to read through a few from the last couple of years.

GH made a radical change season before last. And they've been going further and further in that direction ever since. Abandoning the family homes in favor of visiting commercial properties that need exposure/advertising. Giving up on the whole idea of capturing evidence and instead just spinning a kind of long winded ghost story for us.

It's been a debating point on this board for a long time about TAPS equipment and how it can be or should be used. Concensus is that TAPS really doesn't understand what their equipment is for, or how to use it properly. As an example, take the thermal imager the OP brought up. It reads heat. It's claimed that ghosts manifest as cold spots. Wouldn't they appear as below room temperature on a thermal camera? So why do we see red and yellow, human temperature, figures on it? What about a spirit is generating significant heat? Leaving aside the fact that imagers need a solid object to get a reading. You notice it doesn't show us drafts from windows or doors. It WILL show that a window frame or the floor under a door is cooler or warmer than the rest, but those are solid objects.

This could go on and on. Just watch the show for the entertainment it provides you and try not to read too much into what they show you.
Modern life is a race between engineers striving to build a bigger and better idiot-proof
world, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#16 Blkops

Blkops

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:30 AM

Whew! :lol:

#17 Blkops

Blkops

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:33 AM

Yeah, most of this has been covered exhaustively in older threads. You might want to read through a few from the last couple of years.

GH made a radical change season before last. And they've been going further and further in that direction ever since. Abandoning the family homes in favor of visiting commercial properties that need exposure/advertising. Giving up on the whole idea of capturing evidence and instead just spinning a kind of long winded ghost story for us.

It's been a debating point on this board for a long time about TAPS equipment and how it can be or should be used. Concensus is that TAPS really doesn't understand what their equipment is for, or how to use it properly. As an example, take the thermal imager the OP brought up. It reads heat. It's claimed that ghosts manifest as cold spots. Wouldn't they appear as below room temperature on a thermal camera? So why do we see red and yellow, human temperature, figures on it? What about a spirit is generating significant heat? Leaving aside the fact that imagers need a solid object to get a reading. You notice it doesn't show us drafts from windows or doors. It WILL show that a window frame or the floor under a door is cooler or warmer than the rest, but those are solid objects.

This could go on and on. Just watch the show for the entertainment it provides you and try not to read too much into what they show you.

Yes, GH always seemed to find ghosts that were 'hotties'!! :o :rolleyes:

#18 BeattyBCD3

BeattyBCD3

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

For the "civil war soldier" you should check Dreamsinger's site with a very detailed analysis of it...which appears to be a Grant reflection. As far as "Sheetie"....some problems with that one.

I'm new to the forum. Who is Dreamsinger and where would I find the site? Is Dreamsinger the name of the site?

As for that being Grant's reflection, I thought I remember them proving on the show that it wasn't either Grant or Jason's reflection. Also what looked like to be a civil war soldier had on a cap or a hat that looked like part of a soldier's uniform and Grant nor Jason had on a hat or cap.

#19 BeattyBCD3

BeattyBCD3

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

As I said in the reply before this one, I'm new to the SyFy (Ghost Hunters) forum. I did try to look around for the answer to my question before I posted it, but there is so much here, it would take forever and a day to find it. :)

Thank you for alot of the responses though. Alot of it makes more sense to me now why they don't use the thermal imaging camera. We could never really figure out why they would stop using it as it seemed to be the big success of the first couple of seasons of the show.

I agree, I don't like alot of the changes they've made in the last couple of seasons. It does take away from what the show originally was about.

I also agree to try not to get too rapped up in it and just enjoy it for the entertainment purposes.

#20 tipihome

tipihome

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

Dreamsinger is a poster here, he has a very well put together site
I will see if I can find a link for it...
I'll edit it into my post if I can find one..
BRB

native2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users