439 replies to this topic

#221 MortisorLP

MortisorLP

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

True, but how is one Doctor really a celebration of all 50 years of the show? I am very disappointed to see Sylvester Mccoy's news today, assuming that it is accurate. Unfortunately, my heart tells me it is. :(
"No, Mr Terrall, I am not a student of human nature. I am a professor of a much wider academy, of which the human being is merely a part... All forms of life interest me."
2nd Doctor - Evil of the Daleks Target Novelisation, p 182

Posted Image

#222 01thetas

01thetas

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

True, but how is one Doctor really a celebration of all 50 years of the show? I am very disappointed to see Sylvester Mccoy's news today, assuming that it is accurate. Unfortunately, my heart tells me it is. :(

Ironically, McCoy not being involved in the 50th anniversary special is also actually a sigh of relief to those people who despised McCoy's performance during his run as the Doctor.

#223 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,595 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Ironically, McCoy not being involved in the 50th anniversary special is also actually a sigh of relief to those people who despised McCoy's performance during his run as the Doctor.

I don't think you know what "ironic" means.

#224 01thetas

01thetas

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

I don't think you know what "ironic" means.

You mean it's not ironic when McCoy's absence in the 50th anniversary special being a disappointment to those who liked him is seen as an upside to those who hated him? I guess my mistake then.

#225 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,595 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

You mean it's not ironic when McCoy's absence in the 50th anniversary special being a disappointment to those who liked him is seen as an upside to those who hated him?

No, it isn't remotely ironic.

#226 01thetas

01thetas

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

No, it isn't remotely ironic.

Yeah, it's too expected from those people to be irony. I guess the only irony here instead is if some of those who used to like McCoy during his tenure as the Doctor who would have been disappointed at his absence in the special now despise him and cheer his absence and vice versa.

#227 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,595 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, it's too expected from those people to be irony. I guess the only irony here instead is if some of those who used to like McCoy during his tenure as the Doctor who would have been disappointed at his absence in the special now despise him and cheer his absence and vice versa.

Um, no. Try this: Irony Explained

#228 01thetas

01thetas

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Um, no. Try this: Irony Explained

OK,my mistake. So I guess it would be ironic instead then if those some of those who currently always like seeing McCoy's performance as the Doctor would not miss his absence because they would hate seeing his performance as the Doctor in the 50th Anniversary special.

#229 MortisorLP

MortisorLP

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

LOL, this must surely count as thread derailment due to semantics! ;)
"No, Mr Terrall, I am not a student of human nature. I am a professor of a much wider academy, of which the human being is merely a part... All forms of life interest me."

Posted Image

#230 Vikes4ever

Vikes4ever

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

I think what she's trying to say is that it would be ironic, if Sylvester McCoy was on his way to film the 50th special and got hit by an insulin truck.

#231 MortisorLP

MortisorLP

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,745 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

So more of a Thread Car Crash due to Semantics? :) Not that MBG is wrong, but then people's understanding of Irony is mostly off. I blame Alannis Morissette myself. :)

Posted Image

#232 matthewsee

matthewsee

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

From the Doctor Who News Page:

The BBC has confirmed that Jemma Redgrave will reprised her role as Kate Stewart in the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special.

Incidentally, Nicholas Courtney, who had played Kate’s father the Brigadier, had appeared in previous n0th anniversary stories starring
then current respective Doctors in The Three Doctors (10th anniversary), The Five Doctors (20th), Dimensions In Time (30th) & Zagreus (40th produced by Big Finish Productions).

Perhaps the placing of Kate Stewart in the 50th anniversary special was carrying on the tradition of having theBrigadier or a
member of his family in a n0th anniversary special.

Also cast in Doctor Who 50 is Ingrid Oliver.

#233 Annoyed58

Annoyed58

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I wish BBC America would stop stretching the TV aspect ratio of the picture for their Classic Who story broadcasts to a widescreen aspect ratio. The Classic Who TV series was shot in the traditional TV aspect ratio of 4:3, and stretching the picture to widescreen just makes the picture look worse. I don't understand why they don't maintain the original 4:3 aspect ratio like the Classic Who clips they showed in the Doctor Who Revisited documentary segments.

Agree with you I do. If I want to full screen it, I can do so myself. I don't like to be forced to put up with the distorted image. Fortunately, I have Spearhead from Space on DVD. I just popped that in instead. =)

--
"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion." - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor

"Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all." - Former Borg Seven of Nine

#234 01thetas

01thetas

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

Agree with you I do. If I want to full screen it, I can do so myself. I don't like to be forced to put up with the distorted image. Fortunately, I have Spearhead from Space on DVD. I just popped that in instead. =)

What are the ratings for the Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited Third Doctor Special? Anyone know yet?

#235 nomomomo

nomomomo

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

'Doctor Who': David Tennant, Matt Smith photo from 50th anniversary read through

http://blog.zap2it.c...ad-through.html

doctor-who-david-tennant-matt-smith-50th

Hey, is that Karl Pilkington behind DT?!  Maybe the 50 th anniversary episode will be titled "An idiot Abroad in Time and Space"

Spoiler

Something doesn't look right about Billie Piper...

{Deeply disturbed misunderstood}.
Exported to Detroit

#236 Roricus

Roricus

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman have been filming scenes for a special 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who in London's Trafalgar Square. Crowds got the chance to catch a glimpse the Doctor and his new companion, Clara, on set with the Tardis and extras dressed as Unit soldiers.

Spoiler
  http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-22098470  

"Reality Is Just a Crutch For People Who Can't Handle Science Fiction"

#237 Roricus

Roricus

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Digging the dirt on the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode

This year's hotly anticipated TV special is cloaked in secrecy, but there are a few titbits we can glean – and a few exciting prospects we can sadly rule out. What are your hopes for the 'mega-sode'?

http://www.guardian....versary-episode

"Reality Is Just a Crutch For People Who Can't Handle Science Fiction"

#238 Groovian

Groovian

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

I have low expectations for anniversary stories, based on past experience, of course I hope to be pleasantly surprised for this one. Since it won't have actors or voice actors and C.G.I. standing in for the aged/dead/M.I.A. Doctors (will it?), one hope I have is that it isn't a clip show!

Just re-watched The End of Time (again) and I had a little epiphany about the 50-year story: fix the Donna Noble story arc. How? I dunno! Were you happy Rose got fixed up with the demi-Doctor? I wasn't! I didn't think the Rose story needed fixing. And, maybe the Doctor-Donna business was like painting yourself into a corner, no good way out. Still I think it's easy to see where Donna remembering could provoke a crisis, and in sorting that out, the Doc could get into all kinds of stuff that might be good for a fiftieth anniversary. Pipe dream, not the least reason for which being that Catherine Tate has got a fresh new gig on BBC One.

#239 MikeYates

MikeYates

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Something doesn't look right about Billie Piper...

It's Joanna Page, but I almost didn't recognize it was her, either!  She looks very different than she did on Gavin & Stacey...

ETA: She is pregnant and has a thyroid issue.
Posted ImagePosted Image
"Owain Hughes. And before you ask, no I don't!"

#240 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,595 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

There are other location pics floating around, but this is by far and away the best. (And yes, I do mean because of the guy in the background.)

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Doctor Who 50th anniversary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users