3 replies to this topic

#1 Dorfum

Dorfum

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:13 AM

Hi,

So I just finished The Battle of Corrin and before that I read the Butlerian Jihad and The Machine Crusade (all totally freaking awesome, but I have to say the final one was not as well done as the first two - but still awesome). So which one should I read next? I want to read them in chronological order so should I start with Prelude to Dune? and if so are the three books in the Prelude series in any order?

Thanks for the help

#2 DuneFish

DuneFish

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

It's stupid to read them in "chronological" order - read them in publication order instead.

One simple reason: SPOILERS - even though you'll be jumping through history, the books all rely on details from the previous one and set up things for the next one. By reading the Preludes you'll ruin Heretics and Chapterhouse with massive spoilers - ie: the Preludes were written after HoD and CHoD and builds on details from them.

It's not rocket science.

By far the most rewarding sequence is (you're in for a treat if you haven't read Frank's classics!) :

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emporer of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

Details (best/worst example: stuff about the Tleilaxu in HoD/CH:D) used to set up:
House Atreides, House Harkonnen, House Corrino.

Hints about the Schools set up:
The Butlerian Jihad, Machine Crusade, The Other One

Conscious robots you say? That's lucky because next up it's:
Hunters of DUNE™ Sandworms of DUNE™ ®

Hang on, didn't Fenring stab Paul? I wonder if there's anything about that in:
Paul™ of DUNE™ ©, Winds of DUNE™ ® ©

Even KJA gets bored at this point, and it all goes a bit wierd:
Sisterhood of DUNE™ ® © 卐

etc... etc... ad nauseum...

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Astacius

Astacius

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

It's stupid to read them in "chronological" order - read them in publication order instead.

Only if you haven't read them before it would be stupid.

#4 symphox

symphox

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:17 PM

Interesting... I wouldn't call any reading order "stupid". In my humblest opinion, the original chronological story first is your best bet (That is, Dune/Messiah/Children/Godemp/Heretics/Chapterhouse/Hunters/Sandworms). However, seeing you've already started on the prequels and have been enjoying the writing style of Kevin and Brian, you should read them in the exact chronological order of the Dune Universe, including the middle books between Franks books. The only problem with the above reading experience is that you will likely experience an author shock when switching to Frank and back to Brian, over and over again. In my opinion, Frank is the superior writer but all the books are great. If you are able to deal with the density of Frank's writing style and/or the self-perceived, promptness and vapidity of Brian's style, assimilate them into the important thing...the story... you will enjoy the scale and detail of this story. Worth while! Good ending too... Do it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users