• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 NotASockPuppet

NotASockPuppet

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

Lose the silly signature to prove it. I'll do the same.

Yes, SDE is a more intense game than almost all others online and a good player has to be vigilant to get ahead. Unlike other games I've played there is an incredible amount of balance between those players who spend money in the game and those who don't. Have you ever tried the abomination that is Edgeworld? It is essentially a scam where you simply cannot progress past a certain point without buying in-game items.

The best explanation for new user retention problems in SDE is twofold.
1) Minor but people don't put much thought into who they invite. I invited all my friends, including those that are farmville addicts. This game is a shock to them and they've never played a competitive PvP social game
2) Most people simply do not want the very difficult challenge SDE offers. It's absolutely rewarding when you get into it, but it is daunting to newbies. As of right now, unless you're just a very strategic or competitive person by nature, the only way to stick with the game is to get into a good alliance and have them train you. All the same info is in the wiki but people don't like to read.
I'm Batman.

SDE Facts:
1) Ylvnv is super butthurt because he wanted an item that is available for purchase in the game removed. He was told that would not happen. He launched his crusade against BFG and their games.
2) Ylvnv's "data" comes from the leader boards in game. As far as any of us are aware, leader boards are pretty much good at being leader boards and not marketing material. These numbers are suspect though not nearly as much as his motives.
3) Ylvnv will have a private conversation with you and when he gets butthurt again, he'll respond and ban you from the conversation. He loves discussion and knowing the reason why to everything so it's understandable why he won't provide this in return Posted Image.

#62 Ylvnv

Ylvnv

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

Here's the issue I'm trying to discuss:
Stardrift Empires has lost the vast majority of its players. Why is it happening?

My signature currently contains 3 explanations from 3 different people:
1) Your opinion: Stardrift isn't a game for everyone. It's designed only for a very specific group of hardcore players. 95% of players will immediately quit.
2) My opinion: BFG isn't doing enough to maintain players' interest, and to widen the game's appeal, ie: it's BFG's fault
3) A third opinion by somebody else: This game is very sensitive to game balance issues. It's hard to add new features without disrupting balance, and without routine new features some players get bored and quit.

I've been fair to respect all opinions equally, including your opinion. So why are you still unhappy? Well, you are still sore over our previous debate, and you want to get back at me, insisting:
Ylvnv is just angry at BFG --> Therefore he must be here to bash/insult BFG --> Therefore he's too biased and anything he says about BFG is untrustworthy

1) That's an assumption with a false conclusion. I could make assumptions about you as well--I could say you are a BFG spin doctor, so your words are equally untrustworthy. But I haven't stooped that low.
2) Your reasoning is circular: You think my opinion of BFG is untrustworthy because I wasn't happy with BFG. So, negative opinions can't be trusted, because they are negative? I'm sure politicians would love to believe this--if anyone says anything bad about you, their opinion is automatically discredited as being "untrustworthy"? Obviously it's silly.
3) Most of what I'm saying is NOT even my opinion, remember? No matter how "untrustworthy" you think my opinion is, remember that my signature contains mostly other people's opinions (including yours).

One final thing: in your signature you mentioned...

Ylvnv's "data" comes from the leader boards in game. As far as any of us are aware, leader boards are pretty much good at being leader boards and not marketing material. These numbers are suspect though not nearly as much as his motives.

Let me tell you now that calling these data "suspect" is just plain silly. It's like denying that the sky is blue. Here's why:
1) The leader board shows exact numbers, updated every hour
2) The data is provided directly by BFG (official source)
3) The data is publicly available--go and look at the numbers for yourself if you don't believe me
4) If these data are "suspect," then can you show me some "non-suspect" data? Of course not.
In fact, your own opinion rests on these data. At this point, you are not even speaking rationally: you are just saying whatever you can to argue against me, just for the sake of arguing against me.

EDIT: And your response is predictable--repeating exactly what you already said earlier, while ignoring what I've just explained above. I know you are still fuming over our previous debate, not thinking rationally at the moment, so I'll let you be in your own little world.
Stardrift Empires originated from 5 other very similar games by the same company (BFG). What happened to these 5 games that preceded Stardrift? According to BFG themselves:
1st game: 98.4% of players quit
2nd game: 97% of players quit
3rd game: 96.6% of players quit
4th game: 98% of players quit
5th game: 95.4% of players quit

Stardrift Empires is their 6th game of this kind, and what's happening to it?
As of Dec 26th 2011, 92% of players have quit (this figure is rising)
As of Jan 1st 2012, 93.4% of players have quit
As of Jan 8th 2012, 94.5% of players have quit

Why is this happening? Possible explanations:
1) This game just isn't for everyone. It's designed only for a very specific group of hardcore players.
2) BFG could do more to maintain players' interest, and to widen the game's appeal.
3) This game is very sensitive to game balance issues. It's hard to add new features without disrupting balance, and without routine new features players get bored and quit.

#63 NotASockPuppet

NotASockPuppet

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

So what your saying is that you're not so much interested in being constructive as posting as many times as you can to keep spreading your ridiculous sig?

You opinions are untrustworthy because they are motivated solely by the desire to get back at the group that spurned your idea. You've stooped lower than any of us by taking your crusade to another forum that's only tangentially related.

tl;dr You've gone so far out of your way to share your butthurt with the world. Now to mask that an continue spreading it, you want to pretend like you have something to discuss. You know there's a forum on another site that's specifically made for that right?
I'm Batman.

SDE Facts:
1) Ylvnv is super butthurt because he wanted an item that is available for purchase in the game removed. He was told that would not happen. He launched his crusade against BFG and their games.
2) Ylvnv's "data" comes from the leader boards in game. As far as any of us are aware, leader boards are pretty much good at being leader boards and not marketing material. These numbers are suspect though not nearly as much as his motives.
3) Ylvnv will have a private conversation with you and when he gets butthurt again, he'll respond and ban you from the conversation. He loves discussion and knowing the reason why to everything so it's understandable why he won't provide this in return Posted Image.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)