• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#1 rwalsh001

rwalsh001

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

I found this from a journalist I've posted saying that Sanctuary maybe cancelled by SyFy. (and yes this is the same guy who said months ahead of time that Alphas would be renewed)

http://www.suite101....ncelled-a396389

#2 CoarseLimely

CoarseLimely

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hope the show continues, despite my disappointments with some elements (Ashley's stubborn case of The Death, the near total elimination of the Source Blood characters, the absence of Will's detective-vision power). It's still a good show with interesting characters and potential.

#3 scifriday

scifriday

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

Well, duh! I have been saying this for awhile.

Sanctuary has the strongest lead in of any show on the Stighfy network, yet it has the lowest scripted ratings. Clearly the temporary move to Monday has shown that Sanctuary's poor ratings on Friday would be far worse without the wrestling lead in.

IIRC, a short while back Amanda Tapping waived her producer fee to keep the show costs down.

It has now been a few years since Sighfy cancelled its true science fiction shows like SG1 and Atlantis and eliminated Scifriday. Yes, for awhile people kept tuning in, out of habit or hope for a change, but that is starting to fade.

I don't think people realized how much scifriday did for the network. It was in fact the brand for the network. Now the brand is ghosts and crappy fantasy or sci-fantasy. Without something to bring in the science fiction fans they have abandoned the network and been replaced by a different demographic. Call it the ghost demographic. There is a big difference between that and the previous demographic. The old demo was fiercely loyal and it has taken awhile, but they are now mostly gone.

Look for Sighfy to add another ghost show to replace Sanctuary.

Clearly Sighfy is working backwards by figuring out what is the least amount viewers who will watch anything, and then making a show cheaper than the revenue. Instead of trying to make a good show that brings in more viewers and therefore more revenue.

Its a race to the bottom for Sighfy.

#4 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

A 4 yr run isn't bad. But as the article pointed out, there is no way to tell at this point.

Pretty much a coin toss, so we could still get a final fifth season.

Edited by Mreen, 12 November 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#5 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

I found this from a journalist I've posted saying that Sanctuary maybe cancelled by SyFy. (and yes this is the same guy who said months ahead of time that Alphas would be renewed)

It's certainly possible. It's getting increasingly more expensive, while ratings are declining. When it reaches the tipping point -- as with all shows -- it will be cancelled. Whether it will happen this year or next year all depends on how the numbers look.

#6 ormedic

ormedic

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Well, duh! I have been saying this for awhile.

Sanctuary has the strongest lead in of any show on the Stighfy network, yet it has the lowest scripted ratings. Clearly the temporary move to Monday has shown that Sanctuary's poor ratings on Friday would be far worse without the wrestling lead in.

IIRC, a short while back Amanda Tapping waived her producer fee to keep the show costs down.

It has now been a few years since Sighfy cancelled its true science fiction shows like SG1 and Atlantis and eliminated Scifriday. Yes, for awhile people kept tuning in, out of habit or hope for a change, but that is starting to fade.

I don't think people realized how much scifriday did for the network. It was in fact the brand for the network. Now the brand is ghosts and crappy fantasy or sci-fantasy. Without something to bring in the science fiction fans they have abandoned the network and been replaced by a different demographic. Call it the ghost demographic. There is a big difference between that and the previous demographic. The old demo was fiercely loyal and it has taken awhile, but they are now mostly gone.

Look for Sighfy to add another ghost show to replace Sanctuary.

Clearly Sighfy is working backwards by figuring out what is the least amount viewers who will watch anything, and then making a show cheaper than the revenue. Instead of trying to make a good show that brings in more viewers and therefore more revenue.

Its a race to the bottom for Sighfy.

I completely agree that the network is getting away from true science fiction. Tell me what in the world wrestling has to do with science fiction and why it would belong on a science fiction network? That I just don't get.

I do hope that they do not cancel Sanctuary as it is one of the few show I tune into this network for. It is one of two shows I actually make a point to not miss an episode of.

In reading the article the writer is a bit wishy washy as to whether he believes the show will be cancelled so I am going to believe the best until I hear something concrete. So here is to looking forward to Sanctuary Season 5.

#7 phritz

phritz

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

The whole "SYFY" thing needs to be rethought.
Since when is wrestling science fiction?
Silly programs like "Fear Factor" are just plain silly.If I want reality ***** television I know how to find FOX
Bring back Stargate Atlantis.It seems that Amanda Taping may be available soon,which is too bad.At least Sanctuary is really science fiction.
I have my dvr set to record Atlantis whenever it comes on out pf pure desperation and frustration.
The programming director should look at what SciFi was all about when it started.Or,better yet ,replaced with a real science fiction fan instead of a bean counter.

#8 CoarseLimely

CoarseLimely

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Tell me what in the world wrestling has to do with science fiction and why it would belong on a science fiction network?

Well, it's scientifically impossible for wrestlers to sustain the kind of injuries a wrestling fan is supposed to believe they do and yet be physically and mentally sound enough to put on a good show the next time they're in the ring. But yeah, wrestling doesn't belong on a sci-fi network.

#9 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

The whole "SYFY" thing needs to be rethought.
Since when is wrestling science fiction?
Silly programs like "Fear Factor" are just plain silly.If I want reality ***** television I know how to find FOX
Bring back Stargate Atlantis.It seems that Amanda Taping may be available soon,which is too bad.At least Sanctuary is really science fiction.
I have my dvr set to record Atlantis whenever it comes on out pf pure desperation and frustration.
The programming director should look at what SciFi was all about when it started.Or,better yet ,replaced with a real science fiction fan instead of a bean counter.

.. I dont think it would be that hard to find a bean counter who is a fan of science fiction, if you think about it. Posted Image :D

Edited by Mreen, 13 November 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#10 ariallie

ariallie

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

.. I dont think it would be that hard to find a bean counter who is a fan of science fiction, if you think about it. Posted Image :D

Perhaps more a fan of fantasy? :rolleyes: :lol:

Of course, if the show is cancelled any time in the near future, I'm sure we'll have some of our new mansquitos coming back and saying "it's all because of the kiss," while completely ignoring the overall ratings trends. I just wish NBC/U would advertise the show more on its other networks, but that might take away from their efforts to sell Grimm on NBC (same time slot here in the Western U.S. at least). Sadly, I think both shows may be cancelled. Love the talented and gorgeous Sasha Roiz in Grimm (heck, in anything!), but my loyalty is to Sanctuary, first, mainly because it's made me appreciate Amanda Tapping's talent way more than SG1 ever did. Now, if only they'd thought to bring in Richard Dean Anderson for a guest appearance... :D

#11 ormedic

ormedic

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

Perhaps more a fan of fantasy? :rolleyes: :lol:

Of course, if the show is cancelled any time in the near future, I'm sure we'll have some of our new mansquitos coming back and saying "it's all because of the kiss," while completely ignoring the overall ratings trends. I just wish NBC/U would advertise the show more on its other networks, but that might take away from their efforts to sell Grimm on NBC (same time slot here in the Western U.S. at least). Sadly, I think both shows may be cancelled. Love the talented and gorgeous Sasha Roiz in Grimm (heck, in anything!), but my loyalty is to Sanctuary, first, mainly because it's made me appreciate Amanda Tapping's talent way more than SG1 ever did. Now, if only they'd thought to bring in Richard Dean Anderson for a guest appearance... :D

Advertising, that is an excellent point. I have never seen Sanctuary advertised anywhere but on SyFy network. If they were really concerned about having the show perform well then a few advertising dollars would be well spent in my opinion. Just look how well it has done by people just stumbling upon the show and word of mouth. Imagine what a few advertising dollars would do for it.

#12 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

Advertising, that is an excellent point. I have never seen Sanctuary advertised anywhere but on SyFy network. If they were really concerned about having the show perform well then a few advertising dollars would be well spent in my opinion. Just look how well it has done by people just stumbling upon the show and word of mouth. Imagine what a few advertising dollars would do for it.

But Syfy does advertise Sanctuary in other ways. For example, there is a full-page Syfy ad in the new Entertainment Weekly that includes the first, second, and third season DVD box sets of Sanctuary. And EW readers probably better match the target demographic of Sanctuary then, say, NBC viewers.

#13 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

And they do air Sanctuary on a sister channel, Chiller.

#14 Realm

Realm

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

http://www.suite101....ncelled-a396389

Yeah well he has a 50/50 chance of being correct.

However seeing as some of what he says is wrong, and some of it he doesn't present all the relevant facts then I'm going to ignore it and wait for someone who has some real concrete information.

#15 coolioni6

coolioni6

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:32 AM

Sancuary is not produced by SyFy. It is made with money that comes from its own production company.

They dont need SyFy to tell them yes or no on a 5th season.

the show is very inexpensive to make since it is almost entirely filmed on a green screen.

so far this season has been kind of up and down , but better than season 3. I think it will go for 5 seasons and then the show will end on Amanda Tappings terms not SyFy !

So this season I can definatly notice cost cuts. We have not seen Druiit yet or Kate Freelander.
Also the show finally got 20 episodes in season3 , but season 4 went back to 13 shows ? What is that about ?

I beleive the show is pulling in eneough ratings to justify SyFy ordering a 5th season.

I am just waiting for another Stargate show to appear!!! But I am not holding my breath .

#16 Realm

Realm

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

Sancuary is not produced by SyFy. It is made with money that comes from its own production company.

They dont need SyFy to tell them yes or no on a 5th season.

the show is very inexpensive to make since it is almost entirely filmed on a green screen.

so far this season has been kind of up and down , but better than season 3. I think it will go for 5 seasons and then the show will end on Amanda Tappings terms not SyFy !

So this season I can definatly notice cost cuts. We have not seen Druiit yet or Kate Freelander.
Also the show finally got 20 episodes in season3 , but season 4 went back to 13 shows ? What is that about ?

I beleive the show is pulling in eneough ratings to justify SyFy ordering a 5th season.

I am just waiting for another Stargate show to appear!!! But I am not holding my breath .

I agree with most of what you say but I do have a few nitpicks ;)

Actually Sanctuary is not "very inexpensive to make" it has a budget of just under $2 mil an episode. That makes it "cheaper" than some other sci fi shows but definitely not "cheap".

As for Kate not appearing being a cost cut, the actress herself said it was because of schedule conflicts. And Druitt not appearing, not sure why because Biggie is there so it's not a cost cut and they managed to juggle Chris Heyerdahl's schedule so he could do both Sanctuary and Hell on Wheels at the same time.

The cutting back to 13 eps was a Comcast decision, they made all their scripted shows 13 eps.

#17 coolioni6

coolioni6

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

I agree with most of what you say but I do have a few nitpicks Posted Image

Actually Sanctuary is not "very inexpensive to make" it has a budget of just under $2 mil an episode. That makes it "cheaper" than some other sci fi shows but definitely not "cheap".

As for Kate not appearing being a cost cut, the actress herself said it was because of schedule conflicts. And Druitt not appearing, not sure why because Biggie is there so it's not a cost cut and they managed to juggle Chris Heyerdahl's schedule so he could do both Sanctuary and Hell on Wheels at the same time.

The cutting back to 13 eps was a Comcast decision, they made all their scripted shows 13 eps.

2 mil per episode ?? No way... That is how much SGU used to cost. I think I remember readng that the show costs under 1 mil per episode.
I will try to find out the actual cost.

#18 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

2 mil per episode ?? No way... That is how much SGU used to cost. I think I remember readng that the show costs under 1 mil per episode.
I will try to find out the actual cost.

Well, according to Amanda Tapping's website, it cost $1.6 million per episode when the TV series launched in 2008. Given increased production costs and the fact that actors' contracts would include a salary increase each year, $2 million per episode seems well within the realm of possibility.

Perhaps it cost under $1 million per episode when it was an Internet-only series, but not today.

#19 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,849 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

Well, according to Amanda Tapping's website, it cost $1.6 million per episode when the TV series launched in 2008. Given increased production costs and the fact that actors' contracts would include a salary increase each year, $2 million per episode seems well within the realm of possibility.

Perhaps it cost under $1 million per episode when it was an Internet-only series, but not today.

Do those amounts include the actors' salaries?

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#20 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,657 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

Do those amounts include the actors' salaries?

No reason to think it doesn't. After all, when we speak of a "per-episode budget," we're really talking about the total production costs divided by the number of episodes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users