35 replies to this topic

#1 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:23 AM

Over the holidays I have watched yet another marathon of the Star Wars movies and it inspired me to try and rank them from the worst to the best, so here's what I think, please let me know what you think:

#6. "Episode I: The Phantom Menace": I could write a book about all the things wrong with this film(Jar Jar) but for now I will say that it's one saving grace is that it has IMHO the best Light Saber fight of all the Star Wars movies and is worth watching just for that.

#5. "Episode II: Attack of the Clones": Once again we have a really stupid title for a movie that doesn't really fit, well I guess it does fit this time somewhat but whatever. I think Episode I should have been retooled with this story, starting out with Anakin as an older kid, that would have made more sense given what we were told in EPs IV, V and VI. The ages of the actors in those movies doesn't fit either but I digress. In this one we do get to see alot of Jedi action, which is a plus but unlike others I thought the Yoda light saber fight was rather silly, watching what used to be a muppet bounce around the screen doesn't do it for me.

#4. "Return of the Jedi": Pure and simple, the Ewoks made this one suck. As a kid I thought it was awesome...as an adult I cringe when I see those parts of this otherwise awesome movie.

#3. "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith": Perhaps according to plan, perhaps giving into his critical fan base, Lucas finally delivers an adult Star Wars movie and it was about time. Although hampered by bad dialog and straddled with finishing off the disjointed story created in the previous 2 films, this one almost saves the day but bad storytelling and retcon keep this one from the top spot.

#2. "A New Hope": I hate making this number 2 because this movie changed us all and is one of the most awesome movies of all time but it's immediate sequel is actually better.

#1. "The Empire Strikes Back": In the strangest twists of fates, this movie that is widely considered the best of all the Star Wars movies, has to date been the least financially successful...how in the hell did that happen??????

Thanks
SPOL
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#2 eber322

eber322

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:29 AM

1) Star Wars
2) Return of the Jedi
3) Empire Strikes Back

I rank Empire last simply because it feels unfinished, it's like half way through the movie it just stops. I've heard rumors of "other" Star Wars movies, but much like Jar Jar Abrams "Star Trek" they don't really exist.
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God.
Posted Image

#3 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:42 AM

1) Star Wars
2) Return of the Jedi
3) Empire Strikes Back

I rank Empire last simply because it feels unfinished, it's like half way through the movie it just stops. I've heard rumors of "other" Star Wars movies, but much like Jar Jar Abrams "Star Trek" they don't really exist.

LOL, I think quite a few people would like to "wish away" I, II and III but they do exist and are now a part of, or stain on, the legacy of Star Wars...depending on how you look at it.
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#4 Astacius

Astacius

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

1. Star Wars 10/10 [the best and always will be the best SW film ever hands down]
2. Revenge Of The Sith 8/10
3. Return Of The Jedi 8/10
4. Empire Strikes Back 7/10 [this is actually my least favorite SW film]
5. Attack Of The Clones 6/10
6. Phantom Menace 4/10

#5 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

1 Empire Strikes Back! The best of all the films - the most drama and best scenes of all. Lucas felt he made it too adult, I heard, as the films were meant to be family films aimed more at the kid level, but that has remained my all time favorite since I saw it.*

*I am glad that Lucas edited out that scream he added at one point, as Luke jumped. It made no sense for him to choose jumping, and then start screaming after that. That was the scream of someone pushed, not someone who chose to fall rather than turn evil.

Hard to say for second, as I like the other two equally.
2 Star Wars - didn't mind the added sfx, but have to say the dvd of the original cut brings back nostalgia feelings like none of the other movies, gotta love that.

3 Return of the Jedi. Some of the extra songs and footage were quite good, esp as I'd read Timothy Zahn's novels based on Coruscant and that's when we first saw it on film. The original was good too.

4 Revenge of the Sith. Anakin turns Vader! Some good stuff in there. Could have been better, but so many beautiful scenes done without words held up the story and showed us good acting unhampered by stilted dialogue.

5 Phantom Menace - Favorite character of the first 3 movies, Qui Gon Gin. The only Jedi we saw paying more attention to the here and now and consequences of ignoring beings just because they weren't filled with the Force, or didn't fit the rules in some way. And the pod race scene was a fine stand alone kids movie on it's own. And no, I wasn't expecting an adult movie. Pictures shows a cherub with a vader shadow, I was expecting Disney level story telling. The movie did introduce the most annoying character of the series as well, Jar Jar Binks, and failed to kill him off. If not for that, I'd rewatch the movie more often.

6 Star Wars II. The rest of the name is just awful, like most of the dialogue in the show. The actors did their best, the music was grand, the visuals beautiful, but the dialogue ruined every scene. I did find it quite a better movie if I switched to the Spanish channel tho. In Spanish or Italian,everyone seems much more passionate and the movie is quite watchable. Esp if you don't speak either language.

Edited by Mreen, 28 November 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#6 soundping

soundping

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

George Lucas ruined it for me. I'm not buying the blu-ray series.

I still have 4-6 on VHS tapes and those were made before the great Lucas dumb down.

#7 Annoyed58

Annoyed58

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

I still have 4-6 on VHS tapes and those were made before the great Lucas dumb down.

Eeew. Watching ANYTHING at 280 lines of resolution is painful.

The original Star Wars, (retitled as episode IV, A New Hope) is by far the best of them. I often pop that in, just for the Death Star battle at the end.

I'm in the process of rewatching all from the recent BD release, I can't nail the order of the rest down yet.. But I will say that Phantom Menace is nice; it probably does have the best saber duel of the series, and it does lay down some of the history of how they came to be where they are; fall of the old republic, rise of the evil empire.
--
"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion." - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor

"Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all." - Former Borg Seven of Nine

#8 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

They do have the original on DVD - my favorite set has the original original DVD combined with the most up to date (at that time) spiffed up sfx - with the added scream eliminated. You can watch them that way and enjoy the originals in clear cleaned up format.

Eeew. Watching ANYTHING at 280 lines of resolution is painful.

The original Star Wars, (retitled as episode IV, A New Hope) is by far the best of them. I often pop that in, just for the Death Star battle at the end.

I'm in the process of rewatching all from the recent BD release, I can't nail the order of the rest down yet.. But I will say that Phantom Menace is nice; it probably does have the best saber duel of the series, and it does lay down some of the history of how they came to be where they are; fall of the old republic, rise of the evil empire.

Technically the original Star Wars wasn't retitled. It had that title IV A New Hope in there at the very beginning, as George had to pare so much of the story away to fit his budget. He felt he owed it to the rest of the story to start out the narrative as the middle of the story.Posted Image

I haven't bought the blu-ray yet. I'm waiting for lots more extras. Actually, I'm waiting for 3D first, then lots more extras.

Edited by Mreen, 29 November 2011 - 12:00 AM.

#9 Astacius

Astacius

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

They do have the original on DVD - my favorite set has the original original DVD combined with the most up to date (at that time) spiffed up sfx - with the added scream eliminated. You can watch them that way and enjoy the originals in clear cleaned up format.

Technically the original Star Wars wasn't retitled. It had that title IV A New Hope in there at the very beginning, as George had to pare so much of the story away to fit his budget. He felt he owed it to the rest of the story to start out the narrative as the middle of the story.Posted Image

I haven't bought the blu-ray yet. I'm waiting for lots more extras. Actually, I'm waiting for 3D first, then lots more extras.

That's not entirely true if you mean on screen during it's original theatrical run. I went opening weekend in 1977 and several dozens times afterward that summer and the title A New Hope was not in the film. Four years later when it was re-released in theaters it was titled Episode IV: A New Hope.

If that's not what you meant, never mind then. :P

#10 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

As far as I can recall, the original film started out as just "Star Wars", it did not have an episode number or a title...but I could be wrong, I don't remember the "New Hope" title until somewhat after it's initial run.

SPOL
Posted Image

#11 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:08 AM

Here's what wiki says: "The film was originally released as Star Wars, without Episode IV or the subtitle A New Hope. The 1980 sequel, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, featured an episode number and subtitle in the opening crawl. When the original film was re-released in 1981, Episode IV: A New Hope was added above the original opening crawl. Although Lucas claims that only six films were ever planned, representatives of Lucasfilm discussed plans for nine or twelve possible films in early interviews.[55] The film was re-released theatrically in 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, and with additional scenes and enhanced special effects in 1997."
Posted Image

#12 LadySciFi

LadySciFi

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:18 AM

Over the holidays I have watched yet another marathon of the Star Wars movies and it inspired me to try and rank them from the worst to the best, so here's what I think, please let me know what you think:

#6. "Episode I: The Phantom Menace": I could write a book about all the things wrong with this film(Jar Jar) but for now I will say that it's one saving grace is that it has IMHO the best Light Saber fight of all the Star Wars movies and is worth watching just for that.

#5. "Episode II: Attack of the Clones": Once again we have a really stupid title for a movie that doesn't really fit, well I guess it does fit this time somewhat but whatever. I think Episode I should have been retooled with this story, starting out with Anakin as an older kid, that would have made more sense given what we were told in EPs IV, V and VI. The ages of the actors in those movies doesn't fit either but I digress. In this one we do get to see alot of Jedi action, which is a plus but unlike others I thought the Yoda light saber fight was rather silly, watching what used to be a muppet bounce around the screen doesn't do it for me.

#4. "Return of the Jedi": Pure and simple, the Ewoks made this one suck. As a kid I thought it was awesome...as an adult I cringe when I see those parts of this otherwise awesome movie.

#3. "Episode III: Revenge of the Sith": Perhaps according to plan, perhaps giving into his critical fan base, Lucas finally delivers an adult Star Wars movie and it was about time. Although hampered by bad dialog and straddled with finishing off the disjointed story created in the previous 2 films, this one almost saves the day but bad storytelling and retcon keep this one from the top spot.

#2. "A New Hope": I hate making this number 2 because this movie changed us all and is one of the most awesome movies of all time but it's immediate sequel is actually better.

#1. "The Empire Strikes Back": In the strangest twists of fates, this movie that is widely considered the best of all the Star Wars movies, has to date been the least financially successful...how in the hell did that happen??????

Thanks
SPOL

Your list is perfect on all accounts. Though I just want to add, that it has always bothered me how, in the storyline, Lucas could chose such a baby faced child as that Anakin in Episode I, then have Padmé Amidala have any other kind of love for him other than sisterly love. It was just really creepy. But that was just a few of the many things gone wrong with Episode I and II.

Posted Image Posted Image

#13 BigMcLargeHuge

BigMcLargeHuge

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

From best to worst:

Empire
Star Wars
Jedi
Sith
Clone Wars
Menace

The thing that Lucas did that ticks me off the most is that he made Darth Vader's origin story one of an angst-ridden teen/early 20-something who goes on a galactic rampage because his love life when belly-up. One of the biggest, baddest galactic bad-***** didn't deserve such a goofy, cliched treatment in my opinion.
The fact that the Sun is maize and the sky is blue is neither in our control, nor is something we fraudulently contrived. It just shows that God has excellent taste in colors.

#14 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

That's not entirely true if you mean on screen during it's original theatrical run. I went opening weekend in 1977 and several dozens times afterward that summer and the title A New Hope was not in the film. Four years later when it was re-released in theaters it was titled Episode IV: A New Hope.

If that's not what you meant, never mind then. :P

I remember it there, but that's probably bcs when I was kid my dad always made us late to the movies. I likely didn't see the beginning in the theaters till probably it's second release. (I bought a ticket even tho I could only stay for the first half hour just to see it begin on the movie screen. <g>) They showed the beginning on TV a lot - news and entertainment news a lot, but they likely skipped the narrative bit bcs all I remember them showing was the underside of the battlestar ship.

#15 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,209 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

Here's what wiki says: "The film was originally released as Star Wars, without Episode IV or the subtitle A New Hope. The 1980 sequel, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, featured an episode number and subtitle in the opening crawl. When the original film was re-released in 1981, Episode IV: A New Hope was added above the original opening crawl. Although Lucas claims that only six films were ever planned, representatives of Lucasfilm discussed plans for nine or twelve possible films in early interviews.[55] The film was re-released theatrically in 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, and with additional scenes and enhanced special effects in 1997."

This is correct.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#16 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

1. Episode 4
2. Episode 5
3. Episode 6

The worst one of all was Attack of the Clones. It was even worse then Babes in Space.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#17 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:18 AM

The worst one of all was Attack of the Clones. It was even worse then Babes in Space.

When I first saw "Attack of the Clones" I thought it was great, that is I thought that it was great in comparison to "The Phantom Menace". IMHO the series of *new* movies should have been retooled with "Attack of the Clones" as Episode I and the entire story, for the most part, of "The Phantom Menace" discarded. Anakin should have been a young man, similar in age to when we first met Luke. As it stands, either Obi Wan has the worst memory in the history of movies or he is a habitual lair, take your pick.
Posted Image

#18 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:32 AM

When I first saw "Attack of the Clones" I thought it was great, that is I thought that it was great in comparison to "The Phantom Menace". IMHO the series of *new* movies should have been retooled with "Attack of the Clones" as Episode I and the entire story, for the most part, of "The Phantom Menace" discarded. Anakin should have been a young man, similar in age to when we first met Luke. As it stands, either Obi Wan has the worst memory in the history of movies or he is a habitual lair, take your pick.

I agree Anakin should have been a young man. I always pictured Lukes mom being alive hidden with her kids until she died by the hands of Darth Vader. After all Leia said she remembered her mother. I always pictured the kids 4 or 5 years old running for there lives while Darth killed Leia. But that is just me. I am sure other people seen it other ways. That was after 4 5 and 6.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#19 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

I pictured Leah's mom dying of natural causes, when Leah was about 2 or 3, and that Luke was given away as a baby. That's why neither of them had any memory of each other, and only Leah remembered her mom. I figured she left before she knew - and certainly before Vader knew - that she was pregnant, or she left to keep it secret from him, after he turned. The story line as it worked out was fine, except that Leah really wouldn't have remembered her mother.

And of course Ben was a habitual liar. That's what led to the shocking reveal in Empire.

But I really expected a Disney type kids show for the first movie, esp with all the promo pics showing a small boy. Stretching out the fall from Jedi to fallen Jedi before Luke and Leah's birth, into 3 movies, as many of us expected, really meant they had to start either with Vader's birth or child hood.

The second movie was a little rushed in his character, I thought. He shouldn't have been so quick to flail around angrily over every little thing, but be more balanced, so that his fall would hit harder later. As it was you kept wondering why he hadn't gone dark side already.

#20 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:34 AM

The second movie was a little rushed in his character, I thought. He shouldn't have been so quick to flail around angrily over every little thing, but be more balanced, so that his fall would hit harder later. As it was you kept wondering why he hadn't gone dark side already.

I think he basically went over to the Dark Side after he went genocidal on those Sandpeople, after you killed kids once(even ones you consider "animals") then you ain't gonna be right again. Certain parts of the story fell in line pretty well but overall it seemed like Lucas didn't take the time to watch the stuff he already made, or he didn't care, or the most likely...he just isn't that good of a story teller and continuity was something he just did not comprehend.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users