Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New Battlestar Galactica Filming Locations Website Launched!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Have you ever wondered where Battlestar Galactica was filmed? Would you like to visit? Perhaps take a walk on Kobol? Caprica?

Now you can.

Battlestar Locations is a brand new, comprehensive site that includes every filming location from every episode of the re-imaged BSG. We (Mo and Anne) took two trips to the area and spent months working with Battlestar location manager Kent Sponagle to document each location.

You’ll find addresses, maps, screen-matched photos, videos and travel tips.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Our locations guide is searchable by season, episode, location in British Columbia, fictitious planet, and often-used location.

On our trip resources page, we have a downloadable Google Earth KMZ file and a PDF document with each location.

Whether you’re planning a vacation or taking a virtual tour, everything you need is here.

We love to talk locations. Feel free to comment on the posts in the guide and to contact us with your questions, stories and pictures (a contact form is available on our about us page).

Please help us to get the word out about the site. Do you have your own BSG site? Add a link to www.battlestarlocations.com and we'll link to you as well. We also have a fan page on Facebook that you can ‘like’ to see updates and discussion about our site.

We’re very excited to debut the site and hope that you’ll plan an amazing trip!

Anne and Mo.

#2 CaproCaine

CaproCaine

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

Well thank you very much for the info on the Kamloops shooting. I knew Earth 2 scenes were filmed in cattle country but I was thinking it was shot on a near by dairy farm. Kamloops must be at least 240 road miles outside of Vancouver. It wasn't too cold out there was it?

It is amazing how they liked to film at the downtown library, the Orpheum Theater, and the Riverview Hospital.

#3 ariallie

ariallie

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

Wonderful website!

Thank you so much for all your work and your willingness to share the fruits of your trips with the rest of us.

I'd always wondered about where all the Kobol scenes were filmed.

Now if only some Caprica fans will do the same for that short-lived series! I'd really like to know the location of the Graystones' spectacular home and grounds. Is it a real place, or just great graphics work?

#4 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Well thank you very much for the info on the Kamloops shooting. I knew Earth 2 scenes were filmed in cattle country but I was thinking it was shot on a near by dairy farm. Kamloops must be at least 240 road miles outside of Vancouver. It wasn't too cold out there was it?

It is amazing how they liked to film at the downtown library, the Orpheum Theater, and the Riverview Hospital.

Glad you enjoyed! Hee, yes, definitely cattle country. We were face to face with quite a few (completely disinterested) cows :). Kamloops was actually a wonderful break from the rain in Vancouver; when we crossed the mountain pass it was into bright, sunny weather! Temperatures hovered around 18 C, warmer than Vancouver was, but the day that we went out to the Earth 2 site, it was a bit overcast.

It's amazing how many locations you can walk to in downtown Vancouver!!

#5 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Wonderful website!

Thank you so much for all your work and your willingness to share the fruits of your trips with the rest of us.

Now if only some Caprica fans will do the same for that short-lived series! I'd really like to know the location of the Graystones' spectacular home and grounds. Is it a real place, or just great graphics work?

Thanks! We were so excited to share it, especially so other fans can have the same fun we had scouting everything out.

As for Caprica, check out this site: Visit Caprica. It's a great locations site for Caprica fans! You can find a link to it on our site as well (on our 'links' page).

#6 jxf011

jxf011

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

Great site! The BSG worlds seem so Canadian. Posted Image

Btw, I finally watched the series/movies/webisodes a couple of times in the last 2 months and have been devouring other content like podcasts, Blu-Ray commentaries, and forum comments to keep up my BSG habit. It seems like the SyFy forums are the most active, at least in comparison to Television Without Pity. I wonder if there are any other BSG forums as busy or more so than SyFy.

Anyway, your site is excellent, thanks for the great work.

jxf011

#7 CaproCaine

CaproCaine

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

Wonderful website!

I haven't been there in months. Caprica site that is. The same house was not sold so they must of rented it out to "The Killing" film crew. The house actually is situated in West Vancouver. Most of Caprica is situated to the south of downtown Vancouver in an area called "Yaletown".

This might help you out. http://forums.syfy.c...owtopic=2354459

#8 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

Great site! The BSG worlds seem so Canadian. Posted Image

Btw, I finally watched the series/movies/webisodes a couple of times in the last 2 months and have been devouring other content like podcasts, Blu-Ray commentaries, and forum comments to keep up my BSG habit. It seems like the SyFy forums are the most active, at least in comparison to Television Without Pity. I wonder if there are any other BSG forums as busy or more so than SyFy.

Anyway, your site is excellent, thanks for the great work.

jxf011

Hey! Thanks, happy you enjoyed the site -- it was a blast to put together!

There are some active discussions at the Propworx boards (they were the ones that sold all the BSG props a while ago), also at markwatches.net (a guy who just finished watching the series himself and has blogged about every ep), and all over Livejournal. I know exactly how you feel, just wanting to check out everything you can. I hope this helps!

#9 CylonRomeo

CylonRomeo

Returnee

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

that is a very cool page, i love film/tv locations. thanks for putting that togetther.

BSG Died So Sharktopus Could Live

enter the rabbit hole www.MatrixMythology.com

#10 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

that is a very cool page, i love film/tv locations. thanks for putting that togetther.

Thanks! I had no idea how much I was into locations until I visited Vancouver for the first time a couple of years ago. Now I want to see more from other favourite shows and movies!

#11 CylonRomeo

CylonRomeo

Returnee

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:12 AM

this must have been a great trek. what fun. wish i was there. I always wondered about SOME of the locations because I didn't know if there was a desert-type region in Canada for stuff like the algae planet of even that barren area of new caprica. However, Stargate SG-1 was also filmed up there and some of their locations were able to pass as desertish. A lot of it is interchangeable like the rendezvous point in the woods on Caprica / Kobol / even Earth (both) where the filmographers just used color effects along with special effects to make them distinguishable. A great example is Kobol and that bright green of the flora, that was obviously enhanced or even completely created by cgi. And Earth1, the dingy tone was simply an adjustment of color saturation that makes it look like a burnt up cinder/damaged wasteland. But some of those photos show they didn't have to take it THAT far! Like the vantages of "Earth 1" especially the body of water, it looks really desolate. I loved the Caprica cityscapes from season 1 where Sharon and Helo wandered, and later Helo and Starbuck. They chose really unique locales to shoot. I suppose most cities have at least some buildings or structures that can pass in that type of sci-fi medium, but seeing these images for what they are is impressive.

BSG Died So Sharktopus Could Live

enter the rabbit hole www.MatrixMythology.com

#12 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

Yes, absolutely, they used a lot of different filters to give various locations a more distinctive feel. You're right about Centennial Beach (the Nuked Earth location), it really is fairly desolate (if you ignore the children's playground, lol). The trick with this location is to get there at high tide (when they filmed). At low tide you can walk well out into the bay. Vancouver actually has a very futuristic looking skyline and architecture in places and the show really took advantage of that.

Kamloops was entirely different from Vancouver -- the weather, the type of mountains, and the readily available desert-like areas. The Hoodoos (aka the algae planet) extend a long way and the sand there is different from anything I've seen. The rocks look very old and otherworldly (and cool!).

So happy you;ew enjoying the site - it was a blast to be in these places and to bring back so many pics (I may also have a sample of "nuked Earth" among other things!).

this must have been a great trek. what fun. wish i was there. I always wondered about SOME of the locations because I didn't know if there was a desert-type region in Canada for stuff like the algae planet of even that barren area of new caprica. However, Stargate SG-1 was also filmed up there and some of their locations were able to pass as desertish. A lot of it is interchangeable like the rendezvous point in the woods on Caprica / Kobol / even Earth (both) where the filmographers just used color effects along with special effects to make them distinguishable. A great example is Kobol and that bright green of the flora, that was obviously enhanced or even completely created by cgi. And Earth1, the dingy tone was simply an adjustment of color saturation that makes it look like a burnt up cinder/damaged wasteland. But some of those photos show they didn't have to take it THAT far! Like the vantages of "Earth 1" especially the body of water, it looks really desolate. I loved the Caprica cityscapes from season 1 where Sharon and Helo wandered, and later Helo and Starbuck. They chose really unique locales to shoot. I suppose most cities have at least some buildings or structures that can pass in that type of sci-fi medium, but seeing these images for what they are is impressive.

#13 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

We're adding a new page to
http://www.battlestarlocations.com/ !

Now that several fans have traveled to the Vancouver area and scouted locations using our site, we'd like to create a dedicated page.

It's going to be called 'Your Trips', and we'd love to include photos of fans on location, whether they be scene re-creations or posed shots -- they just have to have you in them! Thanks to Guy Earle for the photo below:

Posted ImagePosted Image

If you've been out to a BSG location in Vancouver (even if you didn't use our site) and have photos, we'd love to hear from you. Use this link http://www.battlesta...m/about-us.html to send us an email through the website!

Don't be shy :)

#14 theenforcer2

theenforcer2

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

I just checked out this website. Interesting concept and great photos.

The Enforcer.
Posted Image

#15 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

I just checked out this website. Interesting concept and great photos.

The Enforcer.

Thanks - we had a blast both on our trips and creating the site. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

#16 MichaelBHinman

MichaelBHinman

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Have you ever wondered where Battlestar Galactica was filmed? Would you like to visit? Perhaps take a walk on Kobol? Caprica?

Now you can.

Battlestar Locations is a brand new, comprehensive site that includes every filming location from every episode of the re-imaged BSG. We (Mo and Anne) took two trips to the area and spent months working with Battlestar location manager Kent Sponagle to document each location.

You’ll find addresses, maps, screen-matched photos, videos and travel tips.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Our locations guide is searchable by season, episode, location in British Columbia, fictitious planet, and often-used location.

On our trip resources page, we have a downloadable Google Earth KMZ file and a PDF document with each location.

Whether you’re planning a vacation or taking a virtual tour, everything you need is here.

We love to talk locations. Feel free to comment on the posts in the guide and to contact us with your questions, stories and pictures (a contact form is available on our about us page).

Please help us to get the word out about the site. Do you have your own BSG site? Add a link to www.battlestarlocations.com and we'll link to you as well. We also have a fan page on Facebook that you can ‘like’ to see updates and discussion about our site.

We’re very excited to debut the site and hope that you’ll plan an amazing trip!

Anne and Mo.

I didn't mean to troll this thread, but this is actually VERY cool!

One of the fun things about driving around Vancouver, which I've had the pleasure of doing several times, is looking for landmarks, especially for "Battlestar Galactica."

What's neat is that "Fringe" is re-using a lot of these landmarks. The library that Helo and Athena go into on Caprica is now Fringe headquarters in the alternate universe. I came across the building by accident the first time, and I was like, OMG! There is it!

Things like this is very cool, and I wish we had a guide like this the last time I was there. I'm a location shooting junkie, and we need more sites like this. :)
Michael Hinman
www.AirlockAlpha.com
(and creator of the "SyFy" name)

#17 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

I didn't mean to troll this thread, but this is actually VERY cool!

One of the fun things about driving around Vancouver, which I've had the pleasure of doing several times, is looking for landmarks, especially for "Battlestar Galactica."

What's neat is that "Fringe" is re-using a lot of these landmarks. The library that Helo and Athena go into on Caprica is now Fringe headquarters in the alternate universe. I came across the building by accident the first time, and I was like, OMG! There is it!

Things like this is very cool, and I wish we had a guide like this the last time I was there. I'm a location shooting junkie, and we need more sites like this. :)

Thanks!! We're really happy you enjoyed the website! One of my favourite things about watching Fringe (and 'V' while it was still on) was seeing many familiar BSG sites. The Visitors Welcome Centre on V was the Waterfall Building where Roslin's Doctor's office was! I *loved* that Fringe used the 'Opera house' and called it that, too :).

There's something about the emotional connection to these places that has made me a junkie, too.

#18 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

We've added two new sections to the site!

http://www.battlesta...the-scenes.html contains many never-before-seen photos from the film commission in Kamloops and from people who worked on the show! We'll be adding a new page to this section very soon with some incredible photos.

http://www.battlesta...your-trips.html is a page by fans for fans. Check out photos from other fans who have ventured out to BC to tour filming locations.

We're always looking for new contributors to 'Your Trips', so if you've been to the sites and would like to share photo(s) with us, feel free to contact us using the form on this page: http://www.battlesta...m/about-us.html

Happy travels!

#19 larsfarm77

larsfarm77

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

The Behind the Scenes section of the website has two new pages since the last update!  One page contains the amazing photography of set dresser Maurice Woodworth, and the second showcases the BSG exhibit that was hosted by the Experience Music Project in Seattle between 2010 and 2012.

Check them out here:  http://www.battlesta...the-scenes.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users