14 replies to this topic

#1 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

They have looked for a small handful on the list already; but "Faerie" is very diverse. In fact a great deal of things people will call "ghosts", "spirits", or "inhuman hauntings" were and still are in some circles known as the Faerie.
*you may be surprised whats on the list and what the folklore said they were capable of*

Sprites,

Pixies,

Elves,

Alps,

Dwarves,

Spriggans,

Goblins,

Trolls,

Daoine Sidhe (Theena Shee),

Tuatha de Danann (Tootha day danan),

Water Faeries (likely ancient dieties of bodies of water, more like people than any other)
*see O'Donoghue, and the Lady of the Lake as examples of what these can be*
Gwragedd Annwn, are the Welsh version of this.

Dryads, Nymphs, Green People, Plant People, Moss Men, The Green Man (a diverse group with very varying levels of strength, from harmless as normal people to lords of storms and twisters of time and space)

Hyter Sprites *turn into birds*

Cornish Sprites *take the form of ants with human faces*

Ghillie Dhu, (looks human but wears plants as cloths)

Leprechaun,

Cluricaun (same thing as a Leprechaun, only called this when off duty)

Fir Darrig *fear dearg* a vicious prankster

Kobolds,

Wichtlein,

Knockers,

Coblynau,

Duergar,

Brown man of the Muirs,

Stray Sod,

Will O' The Wisp,

Bogie,

Phooka,

Puck,

Trow,

The unseelie court (these would be close to what people describe as demons, shadow people with wings, moth men, bat winged men, Jersey Devil looking things, and such; horrifying host of shadowy monstrous beings with great supernatural power; everything else may have twisted senses of humor or be selfish, but these guys are trully malicious)

The Fachan,

Hags,

Black Annis,

Bogles,

Jack-In-Irons (Yorkshire England, haunts lonely roads, likes to club people to death and take their heads)

Jimmy Square Foot (looks like a man pig, but mostly harmless)

Red Cap (gnome like faerie, dies its cap in blood)

Bean-Nighe (washer woman counter part to the Banshee)

The Green Lady of Caerphillty (takes the form of a woman or ivy that crawls about)

Gwyllion (Welsh faeries that like to stare at people who travel the roads silently)

Leanan-Sidhe (vampiric muse)

Kelpie and Each-Uisge and Aughisky (takes the form of a horse, bekons a rider, drags them into water and rips them apart when it turns back to its true form; can be safe if managed to ride away from water; smell of sea water drives them into a murderous rage)

Nuckelavee (looks like a horse with legs that are part flipper, huge mouth, fire eyes, has a torso like a human on its back with long arms that nearly reach the ground, its head shakes from side to side as though it were too heavy for its neck. body appears to have no skin and has black blood running through yellow veins; fresh running water will keep it at bay, need only cross a stream to escape one.

Water Leaper (like a frog with bat wings and a scorpion tail, likes to eat fishermen who stay out in their boats after dark)

Some notable and dangerous water faeries:
Shelly Coat (a bogie that likes to trick travelers into going the wrong way)

Urisk (wants to be friends with people, but his monstrous apperance makes him have to stay away from people)

Glaistig (human woman of great beauty with the legs of a goat which she hides under a long flowing green dress or coat, lures men to dance with her before she feeds on their blood like a vampire; but she also gentle towards children and the elderly and will lead them out of the woods if lost, and has been known to even herd cattle out of the woods that have been lost.

Peg Powler and Genny Green Teeth (like to drown children)

Selkies (faeries who wear a seal skin and turn into seals, if a man takes this skin and hides it, he can make one marry him; however if she ever finds the skin she will return to the sea and the man will fall into a deep depression and die. Male Selkies can summon storms, and will do so if they feel people have been slaughtering seals indiscriminatly.)

Asrai (tiny female faeries that turn into water if exposed to sunlight)

Mermaids (shape shifting ocean faeries who seduce men with powerful songs, can summon up storms, and can even grant wishes like a genie if one is inclined to do so thanks to an act of kindess towards them; ultimatly selfish though and will often take the man into the sea to be her love slave as payment)

Merrow (like a mermaid, only like the selkie has a special item that if stolen traps them on land, a special hat with a red feather. They can also summon storms)

Brownie, (will help people, very odd manners and customs, is offended by the offer of cloths)

Bwca (Booka),

The Fenoderee (an individual brownie like faerie with great strength)

Ferrishyn,

The Killmoulis (face is all nose),

ect....there are many more.
The Fantasy/Sci-fi novel series begins, join Hollia and Rhulan as dark forces converge on Stratalia
Secrets of Aesperia book 1: Stratalia Conspiracy.
now available at Leanpub.

#2 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

They have looked for a small handful on the list already; but "Faerie" is very diverse. In fact a great deal of things people will call "ghosts", "spirits", or "inhuman hauntings" were and still are in some circles known as the Faerie.

If it's simply a rose by another name isn't the main point that they are looking for it? Whether or not you go into a place looking for a "ghost" or a faerie creature doesn't really matter (because, believe me, there don't appear to be any different methods employed) I recall the same tact being taken by GH in Ireland when they were dealing with the faerie as they would take when going after "ghosts"

Having an open mind is a two-way street

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#3 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

If it's simply a rose by another name isn't the main point that they are looking for it? Whether or not you go into a place looking for a "ghost" or a faerie creature doesn't really matter (because, believe me, there don't appear to be any different methods employed) I recall the same tact being taken by GH in Ireland when they were dealing with the faerie as they would take when going after "ghosts"

I would consider it a boon to properly educate the audience on local folklore and other "possibilities" besides (dead people are doing it).

I consider it a mainstream cop-out to call everything spirits or demons when the exact same thing has another name better suited to it.

If a person claims a small creature about three feet tall that turns from shadow, to invisible, or can have a vicious apperance has been appearing around their property and stealing shiny objects and terrorizing the dog.
the easy mainstream cop-out might be to call it a (ghost) or (demon), however this would also fit possibly as a "Spriggan", "duerger", "trow", or "troll".

One of the things I like about Destination Truth, is even if they don't find something they educate the audience on local folklores and superstitions (its like River Monsters, at the heart of it, its just a fishing show; but it shows people all the weird freshwater fish out there).

Ghost Hunting and demon hunting is like the Bass fishing shows, popular but the same old same old fish. This show should make sure to focus on the weirder less believed in stuff and under its old names other than *oh its a ghost*. Plus you say "ghost or spirit" and people think "dead people" you say "demon" and people think minion of the devil. A Faerie wouldn't be a dead person (under most folklore) and it wouldn't be a minion of the devil.

still I will never understand why so many people are more inclined to believe its their dead uncle come back from the grave lurking about the house playing pranks on them and stealing their car keys than some invisible life form doing the same thing. Is one really more believable than the other?
The Fantasy/Sci-fi novel series begins, join Hollia and Rhulan as dark forces converge on Stratalia

#4 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

If a person claims a small creature about three feet tall that turns from shadow, to invisible, or can have a vicious apperance has been appearing around their property and stealing shiny objects and terrorizing the dog.
the easy mainstream cop-out might be to call it a (ghost) or (demon), however this would also fit possibly as a "Spriggan", "duerger", "trow", or "troll".

I believe that, currently, it is more likely that it would be called a "shadow person" which fits the character of ONE of (or SOME of) your Faerie better than it does the character of a ghost.

still I will never understand why so many people are more inclined to believe its their dead uncle come back from the grave lurking about the house playing pranks on them and stealing their car keys than some invisible life form doing the same thing. Is one really more believable than the other?

Is one invisible life form any more plausible than the other, or different? If it's just the name, then there is no difference. Do these creatures call themselves Faerie? Each age calls things differently. Each language calls them differently. Or is it a name given to them by those who don't know? Do "ghosts" call themselves that? Or is it some collective term that we have given them?

Much like how you give the collective term of Faerie to refer to many, many different creatures, beings, spirits, etc, down through the ages. You will find that the "ghost" is merely a subset of the Faerie depending upon which definition or belief you look at.

Of the Faerie or Fairies http://www.mythicalc...Do They Exist?:

"One popular belief was that they were the dead, or some subclass of the dead. The Irish banshee (Irish Gaelic bean s or Scottish Gaelic bean shth, which both mean "fairy woman") is sometimes described as a ghost. The northern English Cauld Lad of Hylton, though described as a murdered boy, is also described as a household sprite like a brownie, much of the time a Barghest or Elf.One tale recounted a man caught by the fairies, who found that whenever he looked steadily at one, the fairy was a dead neighbor of his."

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#5 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

I already acknlowedged in my very first post how broad a term "Faerie" is.

Yes some believed the dead could become sprites, some believed pixies were unbaptized babies given another life (some people also believed sparrows were the reincarnation of unbaptized children, that doesn't mean we should toss all birds in with ghosts; see what I mean).

You said a rose by any other name, I would say a plant by any other name.

Very simular, but when you get down to the specifics world enough apart that they bare looking at in different lights. Yes many Faerie could fit together as one thing (like gnomes and dwarves where it seems just location, hoppies, and how they act towards people was enough to make people call them by different names).

the main issue with (GHost) is that it automatically brings to mind the idea that its all (dead people) we may blaim dead people for everything; but what if some sightings and such arn't dead people. You said two different invisible "living" things. Well a "ghost" by its very definition is not alive.

There is a counter story to the dead neighbors story. In that Faeries were known to immitate humans, sometimes creating illussions of the dead or immitating the dead and playing out events in their lives in a mockery. Some faeries would even be spotted holding fake funerals and weddings, even though they could never really die (permanently).

In fact go back a century or so, before ghosts became the big name dropper you had many stories about faeries, that some might be dead people was one story, others were pagan gods, nature spirits, neutral earthly demons, ect...

The real point is, if you treat it like its a dead person but its actually alive and only immitating a dead person you'd only be playing into its game and accomplishing nothing.

I watch some of these ghost investigations and see lights being turned on and off, cameras knocked over, clothes and hair tugged, dogs reacting to something mid-air, and I try to imagine a grown human being in those scenes, it looks funny, but imagine something much smaller and moving about through the air it doesn't look as awkward, or something that changes size. The electrical sensory equipment too. In fact if it turns out to be something alive its a total game changer over if the haunting is a ghost. Continue to treat it like a ghost and its just having its jollies with you.

Shadow People, its as ambigious a name as Faerie, various sizes, shapes, and I swear some look like they have wings, the shadow witch a police officer said he saw. I think the only real problem with calling something Faerie is that the name has a stigma attached to it.

and no, they didn't call themselves Faerie, the word's entomology roots to a phrase basically meaning (other worlder) or (inhabitant of another world). Which is why its such a broad term, it refers to pretty much anything that comes from The Other World *not the land of the dead*. The idea of the dead becomming faeries was kind of a late comer, when the German Geist started to pick up popularity.

Basically what it comes down to is what the word brings to mind

Ghost: the intangible wandering spirit of the deceased.

Shadow Person: a strange shadow like spectre that could be a type of ghost or other wordly creature.

Faerie: wide array of other worldy human like creatures of varying sizes, shapes, and abilities.

Honestly Shadow People could be shoved into the Faerie catagory if we view them as something alive that was never human. The description of dark elves fits *and even the dark dwarves*. A black darker than the darkness around them. The Dark Elves were human sized and could fly about, the dwarf ones would be the shadow people that are half the size of the average human and sometimes even look like dwarves.

But Like I said, not all Faerie would look like shadows, some looked like balls of light, angelic even in some cases, tiny people, flames, a whispering in the wind, ect...

What it comes down to is what I said (Ghost) is a very specific term refering to (dead people). and shadow people doesn't show the full spectrum.

Besides the list I put up there isn't for replacing ghost hunts (although I am getting sick of everyone doing them), or saying all ghosts are faeries (I believe some like residual hauntings arn't) or that demons might not be involved sometimes.

Some faeries are specific entities, which could be looked into by this show, and like the fishing show example, broaden some people's horrizons on folklore in different parts of the world; which really this show feels more like a travel show for the superstitions of the world than anything else; which is what I am getting at.

Do an episode in Yorkshire England for Jack-In-Irons.

Look for the Brown man of the Muirs, Jenny Green Teeth, Selkies, what ever.

If you are looking for Dark Elves, Durger, Pixies, and sprites types of Faeries then yes, its going to be just like a ghost hunt; but many others are very distinctly different.

#6 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

As regards these shows, the distinctions between the various species and types, unfortunately, are moot. We'd have:

• FoF would try to recreate it (regardless of what IT was) and, depending upon outcome, launch a nighttime investigation that would be laughable at best
  • GH would repeatedly hear sounds and ask for signs of its (regardless of what IT was) presence
  • DT would probably have the starkest contrast in the two types of investigations...for the Faerie types they MAY choose to not bother with EMF detectors.

#7 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

LoL, well these shows would do all that regardless if they were looking for Bigfoot or Casper.

What I really mean is, I don't think they'd find anything even if did exist; but to me the real point of Destination Truth has been teaching people about all sorts of folklore around the world and going to those places to see the people and locations where people believed these things existed.

I don't for an instant believe they actually thought they'd find a Kappa in Japan, almost no one today in Japan takes the Kappa seriously as a supernatural monster anyway (it would be the same as going to someplace in Europe and looking for a Unicorn or go to Greece and try to find a Harpy).

But you never know, its the thing your not looking for or don't expect to find that just might surprise you. I used to say, the funniest thing that could happen to one of these shows would be for a UFO show to look into a recent fiery UFO sighting in the woods and run into a dragon.

#8 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

LoL, well these shows would do all that regardless if they were looking for Bigfoot or Casper.

What I really mean is, I don't think they'd find anything even if did exist; but to me the real point of Destination Truth has been teaching people about all sorts of folklore around the world and going to those places to see the people and locations where people believed these things existed.

I don't for an instant believe they actually thought they'd find a Kappa in Japan, almost no one today in Japan takes the Kappa seriously as a supernatural monster anyway (it would be the same as going to someplace in Europe and looking for a Unicorn or go to Greece and try to find a Harpy).

But you never know, its the thing your not looking for or don't expect to find that just might surprise you. I used to say, the funniest thing that could happen to one of these shows would be for a UFO show to look into a recent fiery UFO sighting in the woods and run into a dragon.

I agree, I've said before that I don't mind when they don't fnd things (On GH as well) I just want them to do an honest investigation and if they don't find anything, or explain something as something else that is perfectly fine with me. And giving some history of a "creature" can be worth the episode. You mention the Kappa...I mentioned it in another thread on here...Jeremy Wade on River Monsters did a pretty good search for it, giving a possible natural explanation for it. And the "what you don't expect to find" is right on, they have found a few rare creatures (not unknown but very uncommon)

#9 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

For the sake of this thread I will list 5 faeries that would be just like a ghost hunt, five faeries that might be like a cryptid hunt, and five that are human sized/shape shifters with god like powers so it would be impossible to find unless they wanted you to find them types.

(note these arn't the only five in each group)

1: Just like a ghost hunt

*Sprite (tiny invisible prankster

*Pixie (tiny invisible prankster)

*Dullahan (headless spectre)

*Duerger (like a half human sized shadow person)

*Dark Elf (like a shadow person)

2: Like a cryptid hunt

*Water Leaper (looks like a frog with bat wings and a stinging tail, attacks fishermen who go out after dark)

*Water Horse (there are a few names for this, but all are essentially a flesh eating horse that lures you to ride it and then drags you into the water. Sometimes it gives its self away by being a green horse, webbing above the hooves, or having sharp teeth)

*Nuckelavee (looks like a horse with legs that are part flipper, huge mouth, fire eyes, has a torso like a human on its back with long arms that nearly reach the ground, its head shakes from side to side as though it were too heavy for its neck. body appears to have no skin and has black blood running through yellow veins; fresh running water will keep it at bay, need only cross a stream to escape one.

*Jenny Green Teeth (a green evil water hag creature that likes to drown children; looking for it might be a night investigation where a doll with a tape recorder immitate breathing and other kid noises is placed near the water edge to make it look like its fishing)

* Peg Prowler (same deal as Jenny Green Teeth)

3: shapeshifters of human size and intellegence.

* Light Elves (typically look like humans with inhuman beauty. Descriptions often match descriptions of angels, so an investigation would be like trying to find an angel).

* Gwragedd Annwn (Welsh Water faeries, they look so much like people they could live amongst humans for years. Their only give aways would be magic powers and odd habits due to different customs)

* Any of the plant ones (from Dryads to the Moss Man to Ivy Women, these are shape shifters who only reveal themselves when they want to)

* Daoine Sidhe (Theena Shee)& Tuatha de Danann (Tootha day danan): Historians believe these faeries are actually the old gods of Ireland. when the previous culture was replaced by the Celtic pantheon the older gods were "demoted" to Faerie status. The Gwragedd Annwn might also fit into this same type of deal.

*Merrows, Mermaids, and Selkies: all are shape shifters who can look like humans and assume an inhuman form in the water. the Selkie being the trickiest of the three as it turns into a seal. The Merrow becomes the vicious looking counterpart to the Mermaid, the mermaid is the most famous but also the most dangerous according to the folklore with her siren like song and genie like powers (yes in the folklore mermaids were said to be able to grant wishes if one found favor with them...although they tended to be very possessive and often the cost was going with them into the sea...which they might try before granting any wishes anyway. Male mermaids were said to be able to cause storms).

#10 tipihome

tipihome

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

I would like to see them look for any Fae... I think the water ones would be considered dangerous... so lets hope they do those! :D

native2.gif

#11 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

Heh, I just see the news story now; Destination Truth team discovers new species of freshwater stingray living in UK water ways right below people's noses. Found while searching for the local mythical fairy monster, the water leaper.

#12 eagle020

eagle020

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

I dunno.

I'd a lot rather find a freshwater sting/manta ray than run afoul of a Kelpie.
Modern life is a race between engineers striving to build a bigger and better idiot-proof
world, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#13 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

Too explain

the Water Leaper, head of a frog, wings of a bat, stinging tail, lives in water. Makes me think of a stingray.

Add in that some rays/skates can leap from the water.
Posted Image

compare to
Posted Image

Some species of stingrays have gone undiscovered right under populated areas, even very large Stingrays until not long ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if at one time there were freshwater rays in UK water ways a long time ago, either killed off from people thinking they were monsters, is a rare thing when a few get into the rivers, or is a rare species that mostly sticks to the bottom a few fishermen seeing them leap from the water at night mistook them for monsters.

#14 tipihome

tipihome

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

that seems to be where a great deal of problem in cryptology and paranormal falls for me. Investigators are looking for what they are looking for, so they miss what is right in front of them.

native2.gif

#15 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

that seems to be where a great deal of problem in cryptology and paranormal falls for me. Investigators are looking for what they are looking for, so they miss what is right in front of them.

Yeah its the reason why episodes like the eel monster episode really bugs me.

"we think the locals are seeing this large eel "ribbon eel" and mistaking it for this monster in their folklore"

No...that eel IS the monster in their folklore, they diefied/demonized it. the show River Monsters even showed if you actually asked the locals and the local religious sites they'd point this fact out to you that their sacred eel creature is the eels in the water. They just think it can do more than its ever been seen to do.

Destination Truth got a shadowy night camera shot and a picture in a book, River Monsters got this
Posted Image
Posted Image

you can't tell me people would see those swimming around and not come up with wild stories about them, remember ancient societies also used to worship bears and wolves and gave them all manner of supernatural traits
go to their religious sites and they even have the eels swimming around in pools
here's one begging for a treat from its handlers
Posted Image

It would be like looking for the legendary Mountain Gorilla which were said to carry off human women and fight elephants with clubs, finding the actual Gorillas and saying the locals are mistaking this animal for what is in their folklore because they didn't see them fight any elephants, use clubs at all, or try to go after their women.

Its not to say there might not be paranormal creatures out there, but Occam's Razor would be nice. If it matches the description, has some behavior that could inspire exageration, then chances are you found your creature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users