39 replies to this topic

#1 Bolivian1996

Bolivian1996

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hey Destination Truth,

I am writing this because I want to give you guys an idea of what you should investigate in an upcoming episode. I was talking to one of my cousins from Bolivia when she started talking about something called a "Duende." I was a bit skepitcal until some of my uncles and aunts began talking about their experiences in Bolivia with these mythical creatures. They are a sort of gnome or elf creature that is very mischievious and will steal things from children playing or from workers when they turn their backs. I thought this was very interesting so I researched a bit into it and found a surplus of testimonials and stories about this almost leprechaun like creature. It has been sighted all over South America but I have read most of these stories occurring in Bolivia. I think it would be really interesting if you were to map out an expedition to seek out this creature after conducting research on the topic of course. I love your show and would really appreciate if you would give some serious thought into this legend.

Thank you,

Your American Bolivian,

Garrett

P.S. If anyone has any other interesting ideas or legends for Destination Truth in the future, feel free to reply or post a new idea.

#2 tipihome

tipihome

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

I looked the Duende up on Wiki (wiki link) and it seems to be a local name for another Fae Type being... this could be part of a larger show as they look at the Fae world wide.

native2.gif

#3 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

I looked the Duende up on Wiki (wiki link) and it seems to be a local name for another Fae Type being... this could be part of a larger show as they look at the Fae world wide.

Could be interesting and I hope that they do take that track. Josh (I'm pretty sure it was him) made mention of it as an upcoming investigation so if DT ever goes back on, we may get to see this!

Having an open mind is a two-way street

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#4 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

That would be interesting, so long as they don't play it off as aliens or ghosts. I'd like them to at least acknowledge that what they were looking for the Romanian woods really gave every sign of being a Ieleh "Yehleh", a Romanian being resembling a Wood Nymph. Barren circle, candle sized lights, sounds of women giggling, moves through the wind, and attacks men who stay in their circles at night, as well as causing illness.

The episode was all about, alien sightings and ghosts, and I thought while watching it, "hold on...this adding up to something else I heard of."

Basically "ghosts" and "aliens" should be off limits because of other shows who do them to death...Fact of Fake is like ghosts and aliens only most of the time, and there are a ton of ghost hunting shows. I'm more interested in strange folklore monsters and Fae type creatures than anymore "oh this old house might be haunted by so and so who hanged themselves from the chandelier, or people see lights in the sky here sometimes and assume its visitors from another planet zipping about".

How about an EVP session on top of Mt. Olympus (its said the gate keepers of the home of the gods send bad weather and creepy warnings to those who try to stay near the top, especially around the rock called "The Throne of Zeus" said to be where the door is, over night).

or go to Hawaii and look for Madam Pele (who switches between very ghost like behavior, fae, and divine behavior, and is spotted regularly. She seems to like hanging around the Hotel Hilton.)
The Fantasy/Sci-fi novel series begins, join Hollia and Rhulan as dark forces converge on Stratalia
Secrets of Aesperia book 1: Stratalia Conspiracy.
now available at Leanpub.

#5 tipihome

tipihome

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

you know, I always say I want to see a show like that... but every time I think I found one I am disappointed with it.

native2.gif

#6 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

you know, I always say I want to see a show like that... but every time I think I found one I am disappointed with it.

Probably because no matter what the subject matter, the producers tend to "punch things up" to garner ratings. And as soon as that is done, it hurts the integrity which is where I get disappointed.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#7 SRSLR

SRSLR

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Well, if I was looking for adventure, exploration, history, with plenty of macabre (read: ratings), while at the same time being relatively safe, along with ease of access?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poveglia

"According to legend, during Roman times it was used to isolate thousands of plague victims, and during the three occasions when the Black Death spread through Europe, the island was effectively used as a lazaretto and plague pit - it was considered an efficient way of keeping the infected people separated from the healthy. According to this version, over 160,000 people died on the island throughout its history".

They did actually unearth large trenches full of skeletons of the unfortunate, while excavating for a new building there- a museum in fact.How's that for real life irony?

For an intriguing read, and some points that that really weren't properly touched on (nor emphasized) by other shows.

http://www.mentalflo.../archives/55234

DT could do it properly, I'd even go as far to say that this episode would easily write itself, got a cocktail napkin handy?

-NAMO AMITO FO

#8 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

I'd say put Ghost Hunters international on that trail, honestly this show should avoid ghosts. The whole last season I think every episode was half ghost half something else.
The Fantasy/Sci-fi novel series begins, join Hollia and Rhulan as dark forces converge on Stratalia

#9 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'd say put Ghost Hunters international on that trail, honestly this show should avoid ghosts. The whole last season I think every episode was half ghost half something else.

There are those who would disagree (no problem, to each his own) but I could do without the ghosts, too, or at least have them keep the number of them way down compared to the other types.

#10 BenderJim

BenderJim

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

I agree, I would like to see DT not turn into ghost chasers, but they have to be running out of monsters to investigate.

#11 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

I agree, I would like to see DT not turn into ghost chasers, but they have to be running out of monsters to investigate.

They are no where near running out of monsters, there are millions of monsters across cultures. There in fact was never any reason to turn to ghosts other than riding the coattails of shows like Ghost Hunters.

Check out the thread in this section "Faeries" that long list is just the British Isles.

If they wanted to they could do episodes that feel like *uh-huh, eye roll* and investigate the very real islands in the Mediterraneon that were said to house some mythological monsters like the Sirens or Harpies; or those where the locals belive Strigoi live.

There are still many (locally famouse) type monsters like the White River serpent, or the Wampus Cat. They could go searching for the Cactus Cat, actual multi-tailed foxes in Japan that cast illusions.

they could return to New Zealand and not act like spazzes and actually find a smaller sub-species of Moa. I honestly felt they were so close, if only they hadn't run at the heat signature and instead tried to sneak up on it (or done the investigation in daylight). I mean really...who runs at a bird? If it can fly sure, it will take off and you might see it, but a flightless bird through brush? Its just going to vanish where you can't chase it.

I could point at any part of the world and find at least ten monsters they havn't investigated yet if not many more.

#12 BenderJim

BenderJim

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

They are no where near running out of monsters, there are millions of monsters across cultures. There in fact was never any reason to turn to ghosts other than riding the coattails of shows like Ghost Hunters.

Check out the thread in this section "Faeries" that long list is just the British Isles.

If they wanted to they could do episodes that feel like *uh-huh, eye roll* and investigate the very real islands in the Mediterraneon that were said to house some mythological monsters like the Sirens or Harpies; or those where the locals belive Strigoi live.

There are still many (locally famouse) type monsters like the White River serpent, or the Wampus Cat. They could go searching for the Cactus Cat, actual multi-tailed foxes in Japan that cast illusions.

they could return to New Zealand and not act like spazzes and actually find a smaller sub-species of Moa. I honestly felt they were so close, if only they hadn't run at the heat signature and instead tried to sneak up on it (or done the investigation in daylight). I mean really...who runs at a bird? If it can fly sure, it will take off and you might see it, but a flightless bird through brush? Its just going to vanish where you can't chase it.

I could point at any part of the world and find at least ten monsters they havn't investigated yet if not many more.

That is good to know, I never knew there were so many monster myths out there, but I guess I rely on shows like DT to find out about them.

I hope that they will bring those you mentioned to the show, and stay away from the ghost hunting.

Them acting like spazzes is part of the fun of the show for me, I don`t really expect a real investigation from them, they travel half way around the world for one night of monster hunting, just making a show is their priority I think.

#13 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

As this is the ideas for episodes thread I think I'll take my own challenge and list ten monsters (I don't think they've done yet) from each of the inhabited continents *so six not all seven*.

*note these are not the only 10 possible for each continent* and a different post for each continent.

North America:

1: White River Serpent
http://www.nhsalumni...ort/whitey.html

2: Wampus Cat
A female biped anthropomorphic mountain lion seen in Tennessee
there are a few variations on this thanks to settlers and local Native American stories mingling. the most well known is here
http://americanfolkl...wampus_cat.html

3: Piasa
http://www.polenth.c...rica/piasa.html

4: Gas'hais'dowane
this one is simular to a specific cryptid they tried to look for (I think it was this show), however if it can turn into a human form, no wander they were never found.
http://www.polenth.c...ica/horned.html

5: Mo'o
a giant lizard that can assume human form that lives in rivers, lakes, and pools of the Hawaiian islands.
the other of them all is a semi-divine dragon "Mo-o-inanea"

6: Pelee
Hawaiian volcano goddess, often spotted by locals and tourists as a woman with a white dog. She often appears ghost like wandering around the Hilton Hotel as she likes to observe tourists. There is a book listing encounters with her.
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/157306145X

7: Cactus Cat
http://www.mythicalc...ture/Cactus Cat
Basically a bob cat with quills

8: AZ-I-WU-GUM-KI-MUKH-TI:
a monster of Inuit origin. It has a head like a Walrus, legs of a dog, a whale fluke for a tail, and its body is covered in black scales (which is odd considering there are no reptiles in this environment).

9: GOWROW:
A monster from Arkansas, a 20-30 foot long lizard with tusks that lives underground. The last recorded sighting of one that I know of was in 1951. Basically you'd have to explore deep in the caves to find these slumbering monsters.

10: KIKLTUK:
an Inuit giant crocodile; which is just plain weird that they have stories of a creature that looks like a crocodile.

(I tried to be varied in this list, although I may have listed more dragons than anything; but most things in North America are shape shifters, able to assume the form of people and other animals so as not to be noticed.)

#14 BenderJim

BenderJim

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

ahh, nice list Rheun1, DT could use you as a source, I think they have someone doing that job, but you seem to be better at it ! ha!

#15 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

South America: (they have done a good number of South American stuff come to think of it, but chipping ice cubes off a glacier isn't digging a hole)

1: Bachue: A dragon goddess who has an un-named mate that she raised from a baby to be her husband. She and he supposedly bore the first humans, and when they were done turned into dragons which are said too this day to still reside in Lake Iguaque in Columbia
(so basically a pair of immortal lake monsters with some local mythology behind them). Its an interesting belief, some claim it means humans when they have fully evolved can become dragons *its interesting how many cultures connect humans and dragons*

2: IEMISCH:
from Patagonia
has a massive snake like body, and a pair of front limbs like the paws of a fox. Constricts its prey like some snakes.

3: LAMPALUGUA:
from Chile: a biped rust red scaled winged dragon that eats live stock and people.

4: Ahuizotl
Aztec creature, has a body like a dog, has a grasping hand on the end of its tail, eats the eyes and hands of its prey, and can breathe underwater. Its an ambush predator.
http://farm3.static...._f7c3421e93.jpg

5: Andean Wolf
This one is a cryptid rather than a full monster as it falls into a weird group of being a very rare animal whose only physical remains (a pelt and a skull) were either lost *the skull was lost during WWII* and the pelt was passed around so much that a DNA test in 2002 couldn't conclude anything about its relationship to other species as it was too badly degraded and contaminated with other DNA. Due to the environment it seems no one has found another one so its status remains up in the air.
(I guess if its not a humanoid people don't launch crazy expeditions to prove it exists huh)
this may be a picture of the pelt
http://1.bp.blogspot...an_wolf_fur.jpg

6: The Bloop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop
Basically in 1997 of the Pacific Coast of South America a sound was heard that seems to be made by a living creature, but is much louder than the loudest known sound. There have been a few other mystery sounds, but the origin was never found.

7: Cherufe
A giant that lives in volcanoes in Chile: the source of the Virgin sacrifice to the volcano gods bit.
This one is something I wouldn't have listed here, given its ancient divine origin and zero sightings, except apparently its listed as "debunked" by cyrptozoologists. Which is weird they would even look at this. But apparently at some point someone decided it might be real, and the crypto circles were listing it as a large reptillian humanoid/dragon creature. But apparently the fact the myth mentions it only as a volcano dwelling giant and not a dragon it was concluded as debunked.
(although to be fair no weirder than looking for giant lanky ghosts)

8: Maricoxi*they didn't do this one already right? Or at least not as a whole*
Its a term for several South American jungle humanoids with hairy bodies. The most common ones however were described as living in tribes and using tools with a grunt like language. As this 1914 it can't be certain if this is some advanced none human primate or just a mis-identification of a hostile native tribe.

9: Minhocao
Brazil might be the last place you'd except to find a "sand worm" but here it is.
A giant earthworm native to the jungles of Brazil.
It is a giant black earthworm with two tendrils off its face (either tentacles or feelers *like a catfish*) It burrows through the ground leaving large trenches behind it.
One train of thought believes they arn't giant earthworms but rather giant Caecilians *limbless amphibeans that resemble earthworms only much bigger* in either case its still a giant.
Caecillian
http://www.projectmo...is_mexicana.jpg

Earthworm
http://wp.stockton.e...4/earthworm.jpg

artist depiction of Minhocao
http://images.wikia....51/Minhocao.png

10: Mono Grande,
SImular to other hairy humanoid types, except it has a tail like a monkey and stands five feet tall. Basically a giant monkey rather than a giant ape.

#16 BenderJim

BenderJim

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

South America: (they have done a good number of South American stuff come to think of it, but chipping ice cubes off a glacier isn't digging a hole)

1: Bachue: A dragon goddess who has an un-named mate that she raised from a baby to be her husband. She and he supposedly bore the first humans, and when they were done turned into dragons which are said too this day to still reside in Lake Iguaque in Columbia
(so basically a pair of immortal lake monsters with some local mythology behind them). Its an interesting belief, some claim it means humans when they have fully evolved can become dragons *its interesting how many cultures connect humans and dragons*

2: IEMISCH:
from Patagonia
has a massive snake like body, and a pair of front limbs like the paws of a fox. Constricts its prey like some snakes.

3: LAMPALUGUA:
from Chile: a biped rust red scaled winged dragon that eats live stock and people.

4: Ahuizotl
Aztec creature, has a body like a dog, has a grasping hand on the end of its tail, eats the eyes and hands of its prey, and can breathe underwater. Its an ambush predator.
http://farm3.static...._f7c3421e93.jpg

5: Andean Wolf
This one is a cryptid rather than a full monster as it falls into a weird group of being a very rare animal whose only physical remains (a pelt and a skull) were either lost *the skull was lost during WWII* and the pelt was passed around so much that a DNA test in 2002 couldn't conclude anything about its relationship to other species as it was too badly degraded and contaminated with other DNA. Due to the environment it seems no one has found another one so its status remains up in the air.
(I guess if its not a humanoid people don't launch crazy expeditions to prove it exists huh)
this may be a picture of the pelt
http://1.bp.blogspot...an_wolf_fur.jpg

6: The Bloop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop
Basically in 1997 of the Pacific Coast of South America a sound was heard that seems to be made by a living creature, but is much louder than the loudest known sound. There have been a few other mystery sounds, but the origin was never found.

7: Cherufe
A giant that lives in volcanoes in Chile: the source of the Virgin sacrifice to the volcano gods bit.
This one is something I wouldn't have listed here, given its ancient divine origin and zero sightings, except apparently its listed as "debunked" by cyrptozoologists. Which is weird they would even look at this. But apparently at some point someone decided it might be real, and the crypto circles were listing it as a large reptillian humanoid/dragon creature. But apparently the fact the myth mentions it only as a volcano dwelling giant and not a dragon it was concluded as debunked.
(although to be fair no weirder than looking for giant lanky ghosts)

8: Maricoxi*they didn't do this one already right? Or at least not as a whole*
Its a term for several South American jungle humanoids with hairy bodies. The most common ones however were described as living in tribes and using tools with a grunt like language. As this 1914 it can't be certain if this is some advanced none human primate or just a mis-identification of a hostile native tribe.

9: Minhocao
Brazil might be the last place you'd except to find a "sand worm" but here it is.
A giant earthworm native to the jungles of Brazil.
It is a giant black earthworm with two tendrils off its face (either tentacles or feelers *like a catfish*) It burrows through the ground leaving large trenches behind it.
One train of thought believes they arn't giant earthworms but rather giant Caecilians *limbless amphibeans that resemble earthworms only much bigger* in either case its still a giant.
Caecillian
http://www.projectmo...is_mexicana.jpg

Earthworm
http://wp.stockton.e...4/earthworm.jpg

artist depiction of Minhocao
http://images.wikia....51/Minhocao.png

10: Mono Grande,
SImular to other hairy humanoid types, except it has a tail like a monkey and stands five feet tall. Basically a giant monkey rather than a giant ape.

wow, where do you get all this stuff from ? Lots of knowledge there, kudos to you !

#17 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Europe:
uh, I am going to go ahead and leave most faeries and mythological monsters off the list (mainly due to magical invisibility powers, shape shifting, and in the case of many mytho monsters, having been singular creatures killed by a hero.

So no, I don't expect they'd even attempt to find the Midgard Serpent, Fenris, or Dullahans to name a few (granted that last one today would be thought of as a "headless ghost" more so than anything.
but also keep in mind Europe is Huge, hitting ten was easy, and left out MANY, MANY good monsters.
any who.

1: Water Leaper:
Fresh water bodies in Wales. While technically listed as a faerie, I honestly think this might be an unknown species of freshwater stingray that like the giant stingray has just gone un-noticed right under people's noses. Its described as having the head of a frog, wings of a bat, and a stinging tail, it leaps out of the watet to attack prey.
Water Leaper
http://2.bp.blogspot...ater Leaper.jpg

Stingray breaking the surface
http://2.bp.blogspot...g_stingrays.jpg

2: Lorelei
Germany
A ghost or water spirit depending on the version that is much like a Fresh water version of the Sirens. She sings from a rock in the Rhine River near St. Goar. She lures men sailing the river at night with the sound of her voice to crash on the rock.

3: Dartmoor park in England
Just the whole park, might be a ghost hunters type of deal but its filled with monsters apparently more so than ghosts
Things sighted there: Pixies, a Dullahan, Spectral Hounds, Black Hound, Ghost of Jay's Grave, The Hair Hands (attack people at "Two Bridges") and the Beast of Dartmoor (a giant cat).

4: Beast of Dean
England "Forest of Dead". A giant boar with Moose like features. However it was last spotted in the 1800's from what I can tell so might be a dead end. Although Boar were already extinct in England by that time.

5: Canvey Island Monster
off of England, its a dead end, but its still interesting. As two bodies of something looking like a biped reddish brown frog with no front limbs and gill slits washed ashore in 1953 and 1954. Zoologists did something suspicious, instead of preserving the bodies (hell there is a "sea serpent vertebrae: later discovered to belong to a whale" in the British Museum archives; no these scientists cremated them.
an investigation was held in 1999 about it, there are no official records, but eyewitnesses from the time were still around.
Some wright the whole thing off as frog fish or angler fish that washed ashore; some more out there think they were alien animals that escaped their owners, died in the salt water and were disposed of by aliens posing as zoologists or a conspiracy.Newspaper clipping
http://canveyisland....-monster2_s.jpg

there are some pictures, but they look set up as the eye witnesses never described a tail, which the pictures clearly have.

6: Dobhar-chu "Water Hound"
Ireland
A giant otter like creature, although sometimes describes as a dog with fish features. The latest sighting I know of was in 2003. It is important to note that the name is also used for "otters". However this creature was said to at least in one incident in the 1600's to have killed a woman, her husband is said to have killed the creature and its mate.
found near Omey Island.

7: Elwedritsch
Germany (Palatinate region)
Its a chicken, its the size of a chicken and has the same basic shape. Except it has a longer beak, it has scales instead of feathers, and has antlers like a deer.
*modern depictions in art have given the females breasts, but this isn't in the folklore*
Its said the eggs have a very unusual property in that they grow larger before they hatch *something eggs don't do*.
*Fun fact: there are some tales of this creature in America amongst Amish communities, claiming their ancestors brought the animal with them from Germany and they have gotten loose in the wild.
(today hunts for the creature in Germany are done in much the same way as "Snipe hunts" in America as a prank)

8: Fear Liath
Scotland
Bigfoot of Scotland, a tall grey furred humanoid that lives on a mountain (Ben Macdui). However unlike Bigfoot today, this creature has retained its supernatural powers in the stories.
the most recent encounter I could find seems to be in the 1990's where one ran at over 40 miles per hour next to a car.

9: Giglioli's Whale
spotted off Scotland, and France (oddly enough there is also a sighting off the coast of the South American country Chile)
Its basically a whale that has two dorsal fins *no whale on record has more than one*. The latest reported sighting was 1983 by a zoologist between France and England. It also has long sickle shaped fins.
A possible explination might be a mutation that causes some whales to grow a second dorsal fin.

10: Gnome of Girona
Spain
1989, remains of an unknown humanoid animal found in Girona Spain.
A body does exist, blue in color, spots around face, tufts of fur, and long pointed ears.
However there are two stories to its origin, and it seems the original people said to have found it by the newspapers at the time couldn't be found again; instead someone else came forth claiming that rather than capturing it alive and it then dieing the next day (or four days later), this person claimed he found it dead in some ice and preserved it in a jar. Because of this many are calling it a hoax. Scientists who examined it say its either an unknown creature of a fetus of an ungulate *cow, goat, deer*, or possibly a dead young of something that had been trapped in glacial ice, still making it an unknown species (albeit likely an extinct one). The original claims, claimed it was intellegent and died because it refused any food given to it.
and here is the actual creature
http://forum.globalt...08&d=1281342328

and that would be 10 from Europe (I could have split Europe up in sections and done like ten of these lists, or heck, by country even). But I said 10 per continent so here were 10 that I think most are less divine or mythical than most the fare you get from Europe.

#18 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

wow, where do you get all this stuff from ? Lots of knowledge there, kudos to you !

I am a fantasy author (the book in my sig, which is technically four books being sold under one title: makes it over 660 pages long is something I wrote)
So I routingly look up monsters and what have you to add to a large collection for inspiration, stuff I can adapt to make other monsters, ideas on what can be found in different parts of the world in different environments, myths, folklore. Like a hobby and research.

*although yes while typing these I am doing a little fact checking to get the dates and stuff right, not all my notes are perfect*

Okay for Asia...I am going to chop this one up between East Asia, South East Asia, and North/Western.

Starting with North/Western
Thus, Middle East, India, Mongolia and Russia expanses.

1: Barmanu
Afganistan, Pakistan *yeah this might be too hot a region to go snooping around the mountains and forests in*
Basically is bigfoot. Except it wears animal skins. Its range is really close to that of the Yeti, so it might just be the same thing.

2: Brosno Dragon
Russia, Lake Brosno
basically you are looking at a Lake monster; althought the lake its self is weird.
Physicists and others have studied it. Its a weird lake where the local fishermen describe as having "layers" to it. Oceanic fish can be found in the lake from time to time, there are huge cracks along the bottom. Some believe the dragon is the result of a volcano on the bottom emitting gas *although no volcano has been discovered here officially*. There legends and tales of this dragon going back centuries, one even where it devoured horses and soldiers of an invading army.its size is unknown, at times borderline Kaiju *giant movie monsters*. It was said in WWII to have devoured a German sea plane.

3: Giant Rhino (Elasmotherium)
Russia
An actual extinct animal from the Ice Age. Like the Wooly Mammoth from time to time people claim to have sightings of these creatures. Siberia is a vast forested wilderness in which very few people live. Russia is the larges single country in the world, but most of that land mass is uninhabited by people. So whose to say what animals may in small pockets isolated out there are still roaming about. Its believed they went extinct about 50,000 years ago and existed for over 2 million year
this is what you'd expect to see.
http://www.dinosoria...therium_bbc.jpg

4: Chuchunya
Russia
Bigfoot with dark hair and stands six feet tall. Although unlike most "bogfoot" types is a bit shorter and not as hairy. Some believe they are a descendent of Neaderthals that survived by getting a little harier and moving into Siberia away from Homo Sapiens.

and here I stop with Russia, realizing that most none Siberia Russian monsters are also Eastern European, maybe I should have divided up Europe, eh

5:Myrmekes Indikoi
India (desert)
Giant ants that have a tendency to hoard gold.

6: Cetea
India (ocean)
a menagerie of mer-things, half fish half mammal, bottom half always fish, top half could be lion, ram, wolf, bear, or human with quill hair.

7: Drakones
India (Jungles)
It is what it sounds like, a dragon. Basically a long snake, with a dragon head, feathered wings, and some limbs.
A picture speaks louder than words (its said to be the mortal enemy of elephants).
http://www.theoi.com...ndian-draco.jpg

8: The Indos worms
India: Indos River
Giant white carnivours worms, with teeth. Prey on people, camels, ox, what ever. So kind of like a crocodile mixed with a sandworm.

9: Ophies Amphipterotoi
Saudi Arabia
Serpents with two pairs of bird wings. They live in Frankincense groves.

10: Brahmaparusha
India
A floating human head with intestines hanging down like tendrils.
It feeds on blood, prefering pregnant women and children. After drinking the blood it would crack the skull open and eat the brains.

*Note: I tried to be more animal with India, but they mostly have demi-gods and ghost like things, so I kind of threw in the towel on that last one. After the first entry I decided to weed out anything from Persian areas as those are hot zones in the world right now. I doubt the team could get in Iraq or Iran right now.

#19 BenderJim

BenderJim

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

I am a fantasy author (the book in my sig, which is technically four books being sold under one title: makes it over 660 pages long is something I wrote)
So I routingly look up monsters and what have you to add to a large collection for inspiration, stuff I can adapt to make other monsters, ideas on what can be found in different parts of the world in different environments, myths, folklore. Like a hobby and research.

*although yes while typing these I am doing a little fact checking to get the dates and stuff right, not all my notes are perfect*

Okay for Asia...I am going to chop this one up between East Asia, South East Asia, and North/Western.

Starting with North/Western
Thus, Middle East, India, Mongolia and Russia expanses.

1: Barmanu
Afganistan, Pakistan *yeah this might be too hot a region to go snooping around the mountains and forests in*
Basically is bigfoot. Except it wears animal skins. Its range is really close to that of the Yeti, so it might just be the same thing.

2: Brosno Dragon
Russia, Lake Brosno
basically you are looking at a Lake monster; althought the lake its self is weird.
Physicists and others have studied it. Its a weird lake where the local fishermen describe as having "layers" to it. Oceanic fish can be found in the lake from time to time, there are huge cracks along the bottom. Some believe the dragon is the result of a volcano on the bottom emitting gas *although no volcano has been discovered here officially*. There legends and tales of this dragon going back centuries, one even where it devoured horses and soldiers of an invading army.its size is unknown, at times borderline Kaiju *giant movie monsters*. It was said in WWII to have devoured a German sea plane.

3: Giant Rhino (Elasmotherium)
Russia
An actual extinct animal from the Ice Age. Like the Wooly Mammoth from time to time people claim to have sightings of these creatures. Siberia is a vast forested wilderness in which very few people live. Russia is the larges single country in the world, but most of that land mass is uninhabited by people. So whose to say what animals may in small pockets isolated out there are still roaming about. Its believed they went extinct about 50,000 years ago and existed for over 2 million year
this is what you'd expect to see.
http://www.dinosoria...therium_bbc.jpg

4: Chuchunya
Russia
Bigfoot with dark hair and stands six feet tall. Although unlike most "bogfoot" types is a bit shorter and not as hairy. Some believe they are a descendent of Neaderthals that survived by getting a little harier and moving into Siberia away from Homo Sapiens.

and here I stop with Russia, realizing that most none Siberia Russian monsters are also Eastern European, maybe I should have divided up Europe, eh

5:Myrmekes Indikoi
India (desert)
Giant ants that have a tendency to hoard gold.

6: Cetea
India (ocean)
a menagerie of mer-things, half fish half mammal, bottom half always fish, top half could be lion, ram, wolf, bear, or human with quill hair.

7: Drakones
India (Jungles)
It is what it sounds like, a dragon. Basically a long snake, with a dragon head, feathered wings, and some limbs.
A picture speaks louder than words (its said to be the mortal enemy of elephants).
http://www.theoi.com...ndian-draco.jpg

8: The Indos worms
India: Indos River
Giant white carnivours worms, with teeth. Prey on people, camels, ox, what ever. So kind of like a crocodile mixed with a sandworm.

9: Ophies Amphipterotoi
Saudi Arabia
Serpents with two pairs of bird wings. They live in Frankincense groves.

10: Brahmaparusha
India
A floating human head with intestines hanging down like tendrils.
It feeds on blood, prefering pregnant women and children. After drinking the blood it would crack the skull open and eat the brains.

*Note: I tried to be more animal with India, but they mostly have demi-gods and ghost like things, so I kind of threw in the towel on that last one. After the first entry I decided to weed out anything from Persian areas as those are hot zones in the world right now. I doubt the team could get in Iraq or Iran right now.

That is great man!

Know I don`t wonder so much now about why you have so much knowledge about these things, that is cool ! :-)

#20 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

East Asia
(China, Korea, and Japan being the main focus)

I will try not to list too many things that would considerd Yokai or Bakemono as these are almost always supernatural, and no Mazoku *beings from the demon world of Makai*.

1: Yuki Onna:
Japan
The Ice Woman, a ghostly pale white woman in a kimono who appears in the mountains during winter. Likely to be written off as a ghost hunt; however she emits only cold and feeds on warmth. Which is kind of odd given her nature and environment *although too much of it could be like poison*, as she does tend to avoid fires. However she will seduce/trick men to follow her into the blizzard and she will lay with them. During this act she drains them of their body heat and kills them.
There are a few stories where she goes easy on the man and instead becomes his wife. But this falls into the "supernatural wife" type story where they tend to run off with the children at the end *thus a story likely made up by men as an excuse for their wife leaving them or vanishing*. It usually goes that if he ever mentions the Yuki Onna to anyone she will leave him (in this story though when she returned she was diguised as a human so he didn't know this woman he met on the mountain path and the Yuki Onna were one and the same)

2: Akkorokamui
Japan
Funka Bay, Hokkaido
a 120 foot long giant octopus or squid that lives at the bottom of the bay.

3: Giant Snake of Mt. Tsurugi
Japan
Mt. Tsurugi
its a giant snake.

4: Hokkaido Wolf
Japan, Mountains of Hokkaido
a real animal, officially declared extinct in 1889. Like other animals thought to be extinct you still get the occasional sighting that people believe might be one of these animals.
the wolves of Japan were small, but they were vicious, Japanese art and tales do not speak well of them (feasting on human bodies feld during wars) soldiers and farmers hunted these animals down too extinction. If any remain they are in small numbers in very isolated areas.

5: Issie (did they do Issie, I felt like they did, but really its another lake monster, about the same as Champ, Essie, and Nessie *honestly if they ever do another lake monster I want the Brosno Dragon at the top of the list*
any who
Japan, Lake Ikeda; latest sighting I know of was (well photographed anyway was 1991)
to save space on numbers I will also put Kussie here as well from Lake Kussharo.

6: Kaijin (not to be mistaken for the word Kaiju)
Japan, Nagasaki
a man who in the Edo period rose out of the sea, he didn't speak, had webbed fingers and toes, as well as a weird skin flap around his waist shaped like a Hakama *suggesting they were partially shape shifters and trying to immitate human attire*. He was apparently part of a race of these that could only leave the water for short periods.

7: Lake Tianchi monster
China/North Korea (the lake overlaps both countries)
so basically another lake monster except they might be winged dragons and up to 20 of them in the lake.
first sighting was in 1903, where it was said one attacked some people. This first sighting described it as like an underwater buffalo
in 1962 one hundred people sighted two of them chasing each other in the water, these two were described as having human like heads on long necks with a white ring at the base with a flippered body...kind of weird.
2007 would be the latest sighting in which a group were spotted moving through the water like a pod of dolphins. these were described to have fins...or possibly wings, longer than their bodies.

so a lake with a whole menagerie of weird things in it.

8:Maltese Tiger/Blue Tiger
China
A tiger that is a blue color or maltese color fur. Possibly a rare color mutation (some smaller cat breeds are maltese, no mammal has ever been found that is true blue in the fur) However given their small numbers now its possible those with this gene are long gone. The only reason white tigers are so common to see in Zoos is because most zoo tigers are descended from a few that were at the London zoo that carried the white tiger gene.

9: Ningen
Japan (ocean), some Japanese sailors have claimed to see them as far south as Anarctica, but those sightings are usually written off as under water icebergs. Although they claim to see them in many bodes of water.
they are large whale like creatures with human like features, such as somewhat human faces and arms.
Basically a gargantuan version of the mermaid, a Whalemaid, whale-person. They are described to be white, milky white, these are new on the cryptid scene, not going back much farther than 2007.
*heh maybe these are responsible for the Bloop* It is weird that they named it this as its the Japanese word for "human"
I can't verify these pictures, some are likely fakes, others ice bergs more than likely. the pictures tend to be grainy.

the Japanese claim there is a conspiracy theory here as supposedly the Japanese government takes all the good evidence and intimidates witnesses.
I guess they are aliens, Japan gets the giant ocean dwelling pale aliens, we get the tiny little grey freaks with an obsession with probes.

10: Tsuchinoko
Japan (notice alot of these seem to be Japan, guess I didn't study much about Chinese monsters, that and chine is full of mostly ghostly things)
anywho this is a fat slug like snake thing, found through out Japan apparently and known by a few different names.
It looks like a snake and has venom, except unlike a snake its mid-section is wider than the head and tail.
http://upload.wikime...zan_Nozuchi.jpg
I like to call it a *** snake.
its about 80 centimeters long.
It has a weakness for alcohol (as do many Japanese snake monsters for some reason), and in some stories it can talk but has a bad habit of lying.

and that's east Asia, mostly Japan, and these too are very few. Its amazing how many monsters a country as small as Japan can have. Although for making a list of mostly animal creatures I did skip alot of fish *they apparently might have a sturgeon like fish, which there are no official biological samples of for a Japanese species, but they do have some ancient pictures of something that is clearly a sturgeon, so maybe they overfished them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users