Photo

Why is the character "Sally" void of any ethnic context?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Ethnic Diversity or Blindness? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Sally's ethnic context be included in her story line?

1. yes certainly! (5 votes [26.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. could be interesting (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

3. perhaps but not too much (4 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

4. no, involving race/ethnicity only creates conflict (6 votes [31.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 VampireDestiny

VampireDestiny

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm pretty sure mike4dsp was referring to the one black character- the cop (what was her name???) - not Megan Rath

Interestingly enough I spent hours trying to find Megan's ethnicity last year and only came across the point that "she is Canadian and therefore her ethnicity is irrelevant." (That came off a forum somewhere). I personally don't feel like they are ignoring her character's ethnicity -- I know plenty of ethnic looking people who's backgrounds are just as American (or Canadian in Megan Rath's case) as anyone else I know, they just happen to be a different color and have different heritage.

I agree with the poster who said that I'm not as interested in her having an ethnic story line as her general upbringing. I was interested to see her mom and was hoping we would learn more about Sally from her. Even Sally's mom, while ethnic, was very "white bread American"...obviously they are several generations in America and have probably (sadly) lost some of their ethnic uniqueness.

Oh yes Cecil or is it Cecilia, I forgot about her. I was almost bummed that she didn't last long. She was badass.

The episode with Sally's mom is so far my least favorite. Mostly for the stupid illusion Bishop thing more than the mom but the mom thing was kind of weird and didn't seem to have a point except maybe to show Sally even more how unfulfilled she is.

And people I know this may seem a bit nit picky but since this almost always happens with my name I have a thing about it. She spells it Meaghan.
beinghuman-isnteasy.tumblr
Posted Image
"One day they'll leave the cage open because what's the worst that can happen? But brutally against your human will, you will kill them all"!
- Aidan

#42 NOLAOrixa

NOLAOrixa

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

First off I want to thank everyone who read and responded to the question topic of Sally's ethnicity.

It's obviously something I am concerned with, particularly given that she is the only recurring person of color on the show.
I think for those of you who would like to believe that her ethnic character should not matter, I think your post-racial dreams of the
world a bit fanciful and premature. It is common among many who have the privilege of going through life not having to consider
their own race/ethnicity feel imposed upon by those of us who would like to make it more of a priority in our discussions of life and humanity.

Second, ethnicity would add a great deal of context to the show. Again, when Sally is considering reincarnation there are cultures and spiritual
points of view that have contemplating the meaning and process of reincarnation for thousands of years. Imagine if Sally were allowed to have a
conversation with someone from that background or even explored it in her own background if she were of that ethnic lineage, since I never
assumed what her ethnicity was. It's just obvious that she is a woman of color.

Third, the show is called "Being Human" and is about a Ghost, a Werewolf and a Vampire trying to shed or free themselves from the very essentializing
nature of their beings to become, more human. That if nothing else is the story of race in this country and the world. The fight against being defined by
biology or circumstance to be free to determine who you want to be in the world. To not be bound by any of those essentializing traits, to be free to express
one's own being in any way you choose.

That being said, "Being Human" is ultimately a story about race/ethnicity but given to you in a very white washed way because that's really the only way some of
you white folks will watch it.

#43 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,219 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Posted Image

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#44 JessMN

JessMN

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

That being said, "Being Human" is ultimately a story about race/ethnicity but given to you in a very white washed way because that's really the only way some of

I must say "you white folks" kind of offended me - and honestly that's pretty hard to do. I'd watch the show no matter how they portrayed the character's ethnicity or race.

But in a way I think I'm most annoyed that you are singling out Sally's race/ethnicity just because she has dark skin. What about Aiden? What's his ethnicity - he looks French to me (but I'm not an expert other than being 1/4 French myself)? I'd be curious to know his heritage as well. I mean, just because someone's skin is "white" doesn't make them any less ethnic, the same way someone having dark skin doesn't make them any more ethnic. To be completely honest, Meaghan Rath and I have about the same amount of ethnicity (different kinds, but the fact is I have several ethnic heritages as well - German, French, Russian and Native American)- the only difference is my ethnic background isn't even given a thought because my skin is snow white. If I was the actress playing Sally this wouldn't have even come up.

It makes me sad that you think people's "dreams of the world a bit fanciful and premature" because not everyone is intolerant and insensitive. And yes I am white, but its not like I haven't had my German heritage thrown in my face. Ever been called a Nazi? Yeah, not fun.

#45 JanetH

JanetH

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image

Thank you.

As someone who is literally a Heinz 59, I have a hard time understanding why all the fuss. Some of my ancestors came to the US in the 1700's, Others as close as my great grandparents got off the boat at Ellis Island.

Would a story line involving Sally and Hinduism in relation to reincarnation... or maybe her seeing some ethnic food and craving it be interesting? Sure it would. Just as it would if she was like me and they mentioned The Holocaust, The Catholic church, The Baptists, perogis, strudel, English tea or vodka.

I don't see it as intentional racial avoidance to pacify the white folks and to be honest find that comment to be a bit offensive. Beyond Josh's Judaism... and it doesn't seemed to me that his family is devout, we don't know much about any of them ethnically. And that's okay. It's only season two.

#46 Feydakin

Feydakin

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

Meaghan Rath's ethnicity is irrelevant to the character she portrays and should never be an issue.

The Mayans were right, 2012 is the end of days... I actually agree with pscard about something. Posted Image

Oh and for the record, I didn't vote because there wasn't a choice that reflected the right answer... Posted Image

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..."
~ H.P. Lovecraft Posted Image

#47 madameprez

madameprez

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

To whoever quoted me and talked about how many indians have been here for generations and are americanized, I totally agree. On The Office, Kelley is Hindu and she is obviously very american in many ways, her culture comes in with her family wanting her to get married so bad lol. Also, maybe Sally isn't Hindu? There's indians who are muslim, and ones that are Christian, and Buddhist, and probably a host of other religions.

I kind of agree that, if you died, your spirituality would probably become a major aspect of your life, even if you were previously agnostic or atheist (I think that would be a cool plot line too, an atheist ghost discovering that there's an afterlife but maybe still not believing in God). It seems like most shows about death do shy away from commenting on any spiritual implications of an afterlife though, probably to keep it palatable to a wide audience (dead like me comes to mind, no religion was ever discussed really). But I do see the point that others are making, that Sally's ethnicity doesn't need to define her, and have come to agree Posted Image

#48 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,219 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

The Mayans were right, 2012 is the end of days... I actually agree with pscard about something. Posted Image

Oh and for the record, I didn't vote because there wasn't a choice that reflected the right answer... Posted Image

That says something about cosmic alignments, doesn't it? Check back with me on December 21st. :P

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#49 FrenchFlies

FrenchFlies

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

Wow, I cannot wrap my head around this.

People are simply people, and, for some, their ethnicity is not a part of their lifestyle. Ethnicity is simply a set of shared beliefs, behaviors and language that surround a shared point of origin. If someone isn't raised within that subculture, and exposed to its norms, then it likely won't be a consideration.

Every character, celebrity, person of accomplishment, etc., should not be expected to "represent". It's a huge burden.

#50 FrenchFlies

FrenchFlies

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

First off I want to thank everyone who read and responded to the question topic of Sally's ethnicity.

It's obviously something I am concerned with, particularly given that she is the only recurring person of color on the show.
I think for those of you who would like to believe that her ethnic character should not matter, I think your post-racial dreams of the
world a bit fanciful and premature. It is common among many who have the privilege of going through life not having to consider
their own race/ethnicity feel imposed upon by those of us who would like to make it more of a priority in our discussions of life and humanity.

Second, ethnicity would add a great deal of context to the show. Again, when Sally is considering reincarnation there are cultures and spiritual
points of view that have contemplating the meaning and process of reincarnation for thousands of years. Imagine if Sally were allowed to have a
conversation with someone from that background or even explored it in her own background if she were of that ethnic lineage, since I never

Third, the show is called "Being Human" and is about a Ghost, a Werewolf and a Vampire trying to shed or free themselves from the very essentializing
nature of their beings to become, more human. That if nothing else is the story of race in this country and the world. The fight against being defined by
biology or circumstance to be free to determine who you want to be in the world. To not be bound by any of those essentializing traits, to be free to express

You seem to have a significant need to project this type of conflict onto this show as though it were some kind of candy coated metaphor for the ills of the world. Remove the white wash and you have two murderers and a dead lady, forcing themselves into an environment where their very presence would cause chaos if their true nature were revealed. I see nothing in there that mirrors racism or intolerance.

Are you this patronizing and paranoid offline, too?

#51 JanetH

JanetH

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

You seem to have a significant need to project this type of conflict onto this show as though it were some kind of candy coated metaphor for the ills of the world. Remove the white wash and you have two murderers and a dead lady, forcing themselves into an environment where their very presence would cause chaos if their true nature were revealed. I see nothing in there that mirrors racism or intolerance.

Are you this patronizing and paranoid offline, too?

Very well said.

I was hoping that this thread would get off the main page and soon, ... but since you you put it back up to the top, let me be the first to congratulate you on an excellent response.

As much as I love Aidan, the truly honorable and brave thing to have done was what Marcus's brother had... slit his own throat rather than become a murderer. I often think fear for what's waiting for him is what keeps Aidan from doing it now.

#52 Ennea

Ennea

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

Okay, I'm coming into this a bit late and this isn't exactly about the show...

Am I the only one who noticed that the OP used "WASP" to indicate white people? Really??? We're all Anglo-Saxon-Protestants? lol

Dose she subconsciously desire not only to be reincarnated but to experience life as a WASP?

#53 cubuffalo

cubuffalo

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

I don't necessarily agree that NOLAOrixia is hung up on Sally's ethnicity, since I think it would add texture and complexity to the character if there were more references to her life before death. However, if you do a search on Meaghan Rath to find out that information you will be out of luck. It seems apparent the actress doesn't think it is important enough to reveal that information, since it shouldn't effect whatever character she may play, either on Being Human or any other show she may be on in the future.

first return from a google search.

Born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Rath has studied Cinema and Communications at Dawson College in Montreal.[1] Her father is British and Austrian, and her mother's family is from Goa, India.

so i dont know why people are saying she is half black or a malado.

honestly i thought she was Hispanic she has a very Mayan profile, and honestly her skin color was that bottom of my list of her character traits. i could give a ***** what color/race/ethnicity she is, the point is if she can convince me the viewer she is sally the ghost.
World of Warcraft Night Elf females are the sexiest race in the game. The pic i want to post would prob get me banned. :-)

Posted Image

#54 cubuffalo

cubuffalo

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 314 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

im sorry but you are a racist. for anybody to be so hung up on the color of somebody skin or that there are not enough people of color in a stupid tv show, not to mention using WASP and being hung up on her ethnicity when you didnt even know what that ethicicity was all you saw was color.

im sorry but you are a racist bigot.
World of Warcraft Night Elf females are the sexiest race in the game. The pic i want to post would prob get me banned. :-)

Posted Image

#55 Tempest666

Tempest666

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I also thought as I read this thread that we don't know anything about Aidan's ethnic background. As others have mentioned, we know that Josh is Jewish, but the plot doesn't focus on it. I agree that Sally's ethnicity shouldn't be a large part of her character. They didn't refer to Celia as the black cop and no one calls Suren Mother's part Asian daughter.

#56 Impulse360

Impulse360

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Typical... race/ethnicity is only an "issue" when a person of color has to bring it up. When white people neglect it, making us invisible in the process all's well with the world.

That's not an acceptable answer. If her ethnicity wasn't an issue then why are her lovers, friends and the people she wants to posses always white? If ethnicity is so irrelevant
then perhaps the show's producers would cast people of color in some of these roles to represent a more diverse humanity. But they don't so it must matter to someone.

That's like white christians who say the ethnicity of jesus doesn't matter but they would never accept an image of jesus as a person of color.

You're missing the point. Sally's race is not an issue and shouldn't be. Her mother was played by a black woman and seems to be half black herself, it's not like they tried to pass her off as having two white parents and completely ignoring her . She's a normal woman, just because she doesn't have an afro and a dashiki and living up to every black stereotype doesn't mean they're downing black people. The story is not about race and therefore theres no reason to add race to any aspect just because one of the main characters happens to be of a different background. Her best friend is white because her best friend was white. Her killer boyfriend was white because she just happened to like a guy who was white. Sally jumped inside the white woman because she liked what the woman had going on. There are such things as black people who have white husbands and/or white friends. And if we were to discuss her race, she is half white herself, so what is so far fetched about her being around so many white people?

Being that the show is based in Boston, how can the multiple ethnic contextual pieces of that city not make it into a story line about people "Being Human"?

The name of the show is being human, it's about monsters trying to live life as normally as possible, that's where the name came from. It's not named "Being in a Multiethnic city" because that's NOT THE POINT OF THE SHOW. Does they really have to get into it? "Hi. My name is Sally and i'm a ghost. Oh, and I'm black.".

Also, Being Human is an American remake of the show in the UK. Sally's character over there is named Annie and is played by a seemingly black or bi-racial actress as well. Her character never had to deal with the multiculturality[?] of boston because she lived in England.

Also [2], after a quick google search, it seems the actress who plays Sally is Her father is British and Austrian, and her mother's family is from India. Looks like Sally's not even black. Ha.

#57 twilighthouse

twilighthouse

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

Sooo...OFF TOPIC but why does no-one have banners anymore? Well I am from the BSG forum from years ago...lol :o I'm not giving up my banners.

So as a black chick I just thought Sally was Indian and so was her boy friend. Seriously I don't care much what color Sally or Annie is they are simply people of color who are starring in SciFi shows that I love. It's enough for me better than how Kandyse McClure was depicted on BSG who did not do race in their show either just us race loving fans...hehehe seriously just get over it already. I like them just being Monsters. :blink:

now somebody make a banner already sheesh I forgot where and how I made em anyway..lol third computer since then..think I had the software. Can you tell I'm bored

Posted Image

#58 JazzyEli

JazzyEli

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Sooo...OFF TOPIC but why does no-one have banners anymore? Well I am from the BSG forum from years ago...lol :o I'm not giving up my banners.

So as a black chick I just thought Sally was Indian and so was her boy friend. Seriously I don't care much what color Sally or Annie is they are simply people of color who are starring in SciFi shows that I love. It's enough for me better than how Kandyse McClure was depicted on BSG who did not do race in their show either just us race loving fans...hehehe seriously just get over it already. I like them just being Monsters. :blink:

now somebody make a banner already sheesh I forgot where and how I made em anyway..lol third computer since then..think I had the software. Can you tell I'm bored

I gave up doing banners basically because I suck, I used to use photoshop, but I lost it too!!...

#59 Vendikarr

Vendikarr

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

I use mini banners I created, and I have them posted in General discussion if anyone else wants to use them.

Posted Image

"I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I've got absolutely no problem leaving the exact same way."

#60 twilighthouse

twilighthouse

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

Gonna figure what I used to make my banners which are all BSG saved photobucket. Will make some Being Human ones as it's my new fave SciFi Show

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users