• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Coven31

Coven31

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

I cannot believe that this idiot actually went on Face Off as a consultant! His work is *****! Has anyone even looked at his IMDB profile?!?!? 15 year gaps in his resume and his most notable work was on 1985's Ghoulies! LOL And even then he was simply listed as "additional ghoulie operator"! Loser.
He looks like he puts more effort into his appearance then his actual work. I haven't seen such fake ***** for reality shows since Hulk Hogan's show.
SyFy, abort this mess of a show!

#2 Subversive

Subversive

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

Conjoined twins? More like conjoined hot mess. Poor girls, I hope their career improves from this point!

#3 Coven31

Coven31

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Conjoined twins? More like conjoined hot mess. Poor girls, I hope their career improves from this point!

It could not possibly get any worse, even if they wound up working for the sanitation dept. in some third world country.

#4 Grimdoll

Grimdoll

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Wow, such hate. You guys can't honestly be expecting real sifi shows on a channel now called SyFy, that's like expecting to see music videos on MTV. Welcome to the 21st century. I enjoyed the show myself. Fake or not, it was fun and refreshing, I am so tired of hearing/seeing how the big ultrafinanced FX shops do things..."the right way" and be reminded that there's a niche for the oldschool basic stuff. But hey, to each his/her own.

#5 Coven31

Coven31

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

Wow, such hate. You guys can't honestly be expecting real sifi shows on a channel now called SyFy, that's like expecting to see music videos on MTV. Welcome to the 21st century. I enjoyed the show myself. Fake or not, it was fun and refreshing, I am so tired of hearing/seeing how the big ultrafinanced FX shops do things..."the right way" and be reminded that there's a niche for the oldschool basic stuff. But hey, to each his/her own.

No, it's not "hate" it's the fact that this show premiered right after an amazing show Face Off which had real genuine artist who pulled off much more impressive effects with a lot more intense time constraints. And keep in mind that most of the contestants on that show were young kids. If SyFy can do a show like that, then why insult our intelligence with a show like this? I am not flaming you, please don't take this that way, I do appreciate Old School approaches to things, I really do. All I am saying is that if this hack "Cleve" put half as much effort into his work as he clearly puts into his ridiculous image he wouldn't have 15 year gaps in his work resume and would most likely have bigger credits the 1985's Ghoulies. as an "additional puppet operator." And for this he gets his own show? Rubbish.

#6 JakCr0w

JakCr0w

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

His claim of working on Ed Wood, Nightmare on Elmstreet, and Starship Troopers cannot be verified by any source. I'd be willing to give him Starship Troopers 3, since the FXs were a complete joke, like Hall's other works. How the hell did this show even happen? He's not even the owner of shop.

#7 PlasticLion

PlasticLion

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

This show had my attention until they uttered one word: Asylum. I had high hopes after seeing the commercial where one of the fabricators says, "The best monsters are still real," or something like that. I thought to myself it was pretty brave of Syfy to put that out there, since Syfy always shows those horrible CGI laden Asylum movies. The commercials hooked me; I thought I was going to get a show about top notch movie fabricators. What I got was someone who does Asylum movies. Ugh. I guess next week they will be making a decapus, an octopus with ten tentacles! It's 1/4 more tentacles to fear! And it will have more CGI than you can shake a computer generated stick at! Please please let the next episode be full of Cleeve family drama, it wouldn't be a reality show without pointless bickering!

I also thought it was funny how when they went to that guy's house they tried to pass the conjoined twin haunting thing off as a new idea. It's just a remake/ripoff of a Thai movie called Alone. Hey I have an idea for a movie too! It's about a girl who gets possessed by an evil spirit and to save her they call an exor, er I mean a depossessor. Yeah that's what we'll call it. Depossessor!

#8 Grimdoll

Grimdoll

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

Um, guys. SyFy is not interested in enlightening, teaching, or really expanding on things, it wants ratings, viewers and most of all advertisers so it can make money. Face Off was a game show, a contest it was just an idea that worked, unlike "Who wants to be a superhero?" or "Mad House." It (SyFy) and it's parent companies view it's audience as "Jersey Shore" fans who want to see weirdos doing things that they view as -weird. The show would not have gotten a green light if it had what you consider "real" FX artist just doing there thing, and not being weird while doing it. They most likely felt they needed "characters" to make things "entertaining". So they found a unique personality and embellished on it.

Me thinks you guys put to much faith in SyFy.
If you want to blame someone, blame Mark Stern, or the producers who kind of came up with and actually made the show what it is.....

July 15, 2011

NEW YORK, NY Syfy is expanding its slate of original reality programming by greenlighting "Monster Man," a docu-series about a quirky Hollywood creature-making family, it was announced today by Mark Stern, President of Original Content, Syfy and Co-Head of Content for Universal Cable Productions.

Six one-hour episodes have been ordered from Gurney Productions, the team behind Syfy's exciting new series "Haunted Collector."
Read more: http://www.poptower....m#ixzz1pAAPai9L

#9 ChefSMM

ChefSMM

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

This is the worst program I have ever seen on SyFy. I would be embarrassed to be seen on tv in those circumstances. I watched probably 20 minutes. will not watch again.

And I'm an Avid SyFy watcher.

#10 Coven31

Coven31

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

This show had my attention until they uttered one word: Asylum. I had high hopes after seeing the commercial where one of the fabricators says, "The best monsters are still real," or something like that. I thought to myself it was pretty brave of Syfy to put that out there, since Syfy always shows those horrible CGI laden Asylum movies. The commercials hooked me; I thought I was going to get a show about top notch movie fabricators. What I got was someone who does Asylum movies. Ugh. I guess next week they will be making a decapus, an octopus with ten tentacles! It's 1/4 more tentacles to fear! And it will have more CGI than you can shake a computer generated stick at! Please please let the next episode be full of Cleeve family drama, it wouldn't be a reality show without pointless bickering!

I also thought it was funny how when they went to that guy's house they tried to pass the conjoined twin haunting thing off as a new idea. It's just a remake/ripoff of a Thai movie called Alone. Hey I have an idea for a movie too! It's about a girl who gets possessed by an evil spirit and to save her they call an exor, er I mean a depossessor. Yeah that's what we'll call it. Depossessor!

Depossessor, Instant classic!

#11 Coven31

Coven31

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Um, guys. SyFy is not interested in enlightening, teaching, or really expanding on things, it wants ratings, viewers and most of all advertisers so it can make money. Face Off was a game show, a contest it was just an idea that worked, unlike "Who wants to be a superhero?" or "Mad House." It (SyFy) and it's parent companies view it's audience as "Jersey Shore" fans who want to see weirdos doing things that they view as -weird. The show would not have gotten a green light if it had what you consider "real" FX artist just doing there thing, and not being weird while doing it. They most likely felt they needed "characters" to make things "entertaining". So they found a unique personality and embellished on it.

Me thinks you guys put to much faith in SyFy.
If you want to blame someone, blame Mark Stern, or the producers who kind of came up with and actually made the show what it is.....

Ummm Grime, we get it, you're a fanboy for the show, awesome. but you're not really helping your case by stating that SyFy looks at it's viewers as Jersey Shore approving ***. All you are doing is reaffirming what I initially said in my first post that SyFy is truly insulting our intelligence with this *****. If you like the show so much then go and post on the other "I Love Monster Man!" post and tweak your nipples over there with pliers about how wonderful you think the show is.
The show sucks, get over it.

#12 Coven31

Coven31

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

This is the worst program I have ever seen on SyFy. I would be embarrassed to be seen on tv in those circumstances. I watched probably 20 minutes. will not watch again.

And I'm an Avid SyFy watcher.

Fully agree, the last time I saw something that sucked that much it had Linda Lovelace in it.

#13 Grimdoll

Grimdoll

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

Ummm Grime, we get it, you're a fanboy for the show, awesome. but you're not really helping your case by stating that SyFy looks at it's viewers as Jersey Shore approving ***. All you are doing is reaffirming what I initially said in my first post that SyFy is truly insulting our intelligence with this *****. If you like the show so much then go and post on the other "I Love Monster Man!" post and tweak your nipples over there with pliers about how wonderful you think the show is.
The show sucks, get over it.

I didn't realize this thread was only for those that agree with you. I get it now. No not hating opinions allowed on this thread. This thread is for those who are disgusted with the show and wanted/expected something educational, enlightening and respectful to their vastly superior intellect.

So much for respectful disagreement.

I'm done, apparently I have to go tweak my nipples with pliers or some other drivel.....

#14 Coven31

Coven31

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

I didn't realize this thread was only for those that agree with you. I get it now. No not hating opinions allowed on this thread. This thread is for those who are disgusted with the show and wanted/expected something educational, enlightening and respectful to their vastly superior intellect.

So much for respectful disagreement.

I'm done, apparently I have to go tweak my nipples with pliers or some other drivel.....

Ok Grime, I will try to explain this in a manner that even an autistic 6 year old could grasp. Ya ready? Strap on that thinking cap! Do you see at the top of this thread, in the title area? What does it say? That's right, it reads "Wow is this show horrible!" Now what do those little words mean to you? That I loved the show?
Like I said earlier, the last time I saw anything that sucked this much, Linda Lovelace was in it. And no, I wasn't looking for anything "educational, enlightening or respectful yadda yadda yadda, I was simply looking for something good, and this show is not that.

I've seen more realistic effects on Wilfred.
Attached File  wilfred.jpg   72.82K   2 downloads

#15 BenderJim

BenderJim

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Fully agree, the last time I saw something that sucked that much it had Linda Lovelace in it.

ha! That is pretty much how I thought of the show, 15 minutes was all I could take of it.

#16 SighphiVIII

SighphiVIII

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

from the commercials i totally hated the show but i watched it cause that daughter with the purple hair looked kind of hot in Face-off and i was totally surprised.... i actually enjoyed the show for some reason. I totally loved the dude acting like a pirate when he was in the boat screaming all those seaman saying. I dont know, the family had some character and it really looked like we were watching a family work in the biz instead of a bunch of setup scenarios like in other reality shows.

As for his credentials..... i dont really care. Since we can see this dude seems to mostly work in straight to dvd stuff im pretty sure his IMDB profile isnt going to be that detailed as im sure no one is actually looking for these movies and getting info put up.

#17 ripperjack44

ripperjack44

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

His claim of working on Ed Wood, Nightmare on Elmstreet, and Starship Troopers cannot be verified by any source. I'd be willing to give him Starship Troopers 3, since the FXs were a complete joke, like Hall's other works. How the hell did this show even happen? He's not even the owner of shop.

What you have to understand is that those credits belong to Roy and SOTA effects, not Cleve himself. Cleve is an EMPLOYEE of SOTA. So if he worked for them on the project and even swept the floors on the project he can claim to have worked on them. Having a credit does NOT mean that he created the creatures.

#18 Botarz

Botarz

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Not a "hater", but I was so disappointed I couldn't even finish watching. More "look at how weird I am" reality show bull.

#19 TheaT

TheaT

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Even with his lack of legitimate credentials and sub-par talent, there were definite elements the show could have capitalized on: here's this quirky dandy that drives a hearse and works in a shop with his ditzy ex-wife and feisty daughter, and, not unlike John Cleese in the British comedy "Fawlty Towers," he never seems to get it right. There were so many dynamics that could have been explored: his inability to finish a project on time, his relationships, his unique work style, etc. Instead, this show was just a mess. Between the sham productions (I could write paragraphs on how obviously fake the conjoined twins project was) to the obviously scripted dialogue, this project seems unsalvageable.

#20 Lopov

Lopov

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Pretty sad when the daughter is more talented than the father, just sayin. B)
Posted Image
"Without stupid people there wouldn't be rich people" - My quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users