• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AndyinGA

AndyinGA

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

I watched an episode of FoF tonite concerning the Paulding Light. Seems the locals there claim there was a train track that used to go through that area and that a flagman was killed when a train he was a flagman on, came to a stop and another train plowed into the back of it.

Now, either we have similar stories north and south, or, someone from PA visited Wilmington NC prior to 1966, saw the MACO Light near Wilmington NC, heard the local legends about Charles "Joe" Baldwin, who was in fact a flagman on a train that was killed when a caboose on his train became uncoupled and rolled to a stop at or near a railroad trestle that used to cross the small river there.

The Maco Light has many many witnesses that have been seeing this phenomena for alot longer than the 1966 appearance of the Paulding Light.

This story goes back to 1867 just after the War, it happened on the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad near the Maco Station in Brunswick County NC.

Shortly after the accident, train engineers began complaining that someone was flagging down their trains with a warning lantern and when they would stop to find out what the trouble was, nobody would be there. Investigations ensued and many sightings took place, but nobody could explain this mysterious light that sometimes would go sailing off into the swamp. (Some witnesses said that was exactly what happened to Joe's light when the east bound train hit the caboose he was standing on).

The legend has it, that "Old Joe" is still looking for his head, since he was decapitated during the accident (so the story goes), and his head was never found.

I was stationed at Camp Lejeune NC from 1976 to 1979 and went with my wife and some of my friends down to the old Maco trestle on 2 occasions, both times "old Joe" made an appearance.

The tracks today are long gone, but some folks in that area say that Joe is still out there and once in awhile somebody will come face to face (figuratively speaking) with him.

Anyway, thought that someone at FoF might be interested in this as it's a much older story.

One more thing, Life Magazine did a story on the Maco light sometime in the 1950's, I think it was 1957 but I'm not 100% sure of that.

#2 MoeGreene

MoeGreene

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

I watched an episode of FoF tonite concerning the Paulding Light. Seems the locals there claim there was a train track that used to go through that area and that a flagman was killed when a train he was a flagman on, came to a stop and another train plowed into the back of it.

Now, either we have similar stories north and south, or, someone from PA visited Wilmington NC prior to 1966, saw the MACO Light near Wilmington NC, heard the local legends about Charles "Joe" Baldwin, who was in fact a flagman on a train that was killed when a caboose on his train became uncoupled and rolled to a stop at or near a railroad trestle that used to cross the small river there.

The Maco Light has many many witnesses that have been seeing this phenomena for alot longer than the 1966 appearance of the Paulding Light.

This story goes back to 1867 just after the War, it happened on the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad near the Maco Station in Brunswick County NC.

Shortly after the accident, train engineers began complaining that someone was flagging down their trains with a warning lantern and when they would stop to find out what the trouble was, nobody would be there. Investigations ensued and many sightings took place, but nobody could explain this mysterious light that sometimes would go sailing off into the swamp. (Some witnesses said that was exactly what happened to Joe's light when the east bound train hit the caboose he was standing on).

The legend has it, that "Old Joe" is still looking for his head, since he was decapitated during the accident (so the story goes), and his head was never found.

I was stationed at Camp Lejeune NC from 1976 to 1979 and went with my wife and some of my friends down to the old Maco trestle on 2 occasions, both times "old Joe" made an appearance.

The tracks today are long gone, but some folks in that area say that Joe is still out there and once in awhile somebody will come face to face (figuratively speaking) with him.

Anyway, thought that someone at FoF might be interested in this as it's a much older story.

One more thing, Life Magazine did a story on the Maco light sometime in the 1950's, I think it was 1957 but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Thanks for the info. I just watched the FOF Paulding light epi and I always heard that the explanation would be cars from that hwy. In the FOF epi, they closed down the hwy and tested the car theory and debunked it as a solution. According to FOF, the light is still unexplained. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this mystery.

#3 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I just watched the FOF Paulding light epi and I always heard that the explanation would be cars from that hwy. In the FOF epi, they closed down the hwy and tested the car theory and debunked it as a solution. According to FOF, the light is still unexplained. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this mystery.

Recall, also, that according to FoF the ghost in the cemetery wasn't a spider. According to FoF, also, the beast of Dartmoor was filmed in Devon rather than Cornwall Posted Image

They didn't close off the right section of road. If you look at the video that they "examined" you can see the amazing light, but there are other lights and they move relative to each other. There are twin red lights that move away and some bright whiter lights that move closer, passing the red lights in the opposite direction as they get closer to the camera vantage point. The twin red lights are tail lights while the brighter lights that come toward you are the headlights. The brighter/white lights changes intensity drastically during the footage because the cars are coming over a hill and then going down it, as they come over the hill and angle downward, the headlights beam becomes more and more direct to the viewer and thus gets brighter in intensity until the car begins to angle down the hill and then the beam is directed away from the viewer so it isn't pointed at the camera...and the light gets dimmer.

Watch here at about 55 seconds and you can see the cars passing each other in opposite directions:

Here are two stills which show that the lights change position and are in pairs (like head/tail lights)

Attached Files

Having an open mind is a two-way street

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#4 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Here is footage from a group that went out there with some decent equipment to see what was going on:

http://www.youtube.c...Q8DpWC_Q#t=174s

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#5 MoeGreene

MoeGreene

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Here is footage from a group that went out there with some decent equipment to see what was going on:

http://www.youtube.c...Q8DpWC_Q#t=174s

Great work Raithe! The Paulding lights mystery is solved. First off, I cant believe that they did not shut down the right location on the hwy(well, I actually can now after missing the location of the " beast of Dartmoor") . You would think that a team with a crew, producers, and others working on the show, that they could at least get these locations correct.

I am wondering why FOF did not bring a high powered scope. That would have showed them right away that they were cars.

#6 AndyinGA

AndyinGA

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

What I find interesting is, the FoF team doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of debunking much of anything. I mean c'mon. A former FBI man? They closed down the WRONG part of the highway? Seems to me that anyone with a modicum of common sense (like the kids that actually DID debunk the paulding story) could have cleared this little mystery up.

You're welcome for the information, if you haven't already, you might want to just google that story and read a little about it. I still think someone from that area of PA either heard of or witnessed personally, the Maco Light, saw a chance to start a little local legend of their own and BAM, the Paulding light story. It's just too much of a coincidence.

#7 Schmitty

Schmitty

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for posting the video. I wish FoF had that team running the show :(

#8 AndyinGA

AndyinGA

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for posting the video. I wish FoF had that team running the show :(

Agreed, unfortunately the SyFy channel isn't about investigation, it's about sensationalism. I think if they really wanted to, they could put together a real team that would do some REAL investigating and get to the bottom of some of these events.

#9 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Agreed, unfortunately the SyFy channel isn't about investigation, it's about sensationalism. I think if they really wanted to, they could put together a real team that would do some REAL investigating and get to the bottom of some of these events.

There may have been a conflict of interest in this one in that there was a gift shop up the road that was featured....

#10 pagan

pagan

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Appreciate the information is a safe and sane manner,not something one finds on here, more often than not.Being a native of North Carolina, I've been exposed to the "Old Joe Baldwin" story for as long as I can recall and have seen a "light" coming down the tracks, vanishing then showing up again further past where a group of observers might be gathered.Note the light may not return for up to a month at a time, according to those that are more learned in the mater than myself but "it" or "he" always comes back.Just about any book dealing with "hauntings" in the "Tar Heel State" will have Joe's story in it. I know the 35 that I have sure do. :blink:
Everybody lies.

If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic.

The notion of picking 1 times of the year to be decent to others is obscene because it's actually validating the notion of being miserable SOB finaly.

Your biggest problem...hell I don't know what it is!!! Ask somebody else.

#11 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Appreciate the information is a safe and sane manner,not something one finds on here, more often than not.Being a native of North Carolina, I've been exposed to the "Old Joe Baldwin" story for as long as I can recall and have seen a "light" coming down the tracks, vanishing then showing up again further past where a group of observers might be gathered.Note the light may not return for up to a month at a time, according to those that are more learned in the mater than myself but "it" or "he" always comes back.Just about any book dealing with "hauntings" in the "Tar Heel State" will have Joe's story in it. I know the 35 that I have sure do. :blink:

There seem to be a few instances of this in NC. And it has claimed additional lives:

http://articles.cnn....-wreck?_s=PM:US

#12 AndyinGA

AndyinGA

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Recall, also, that according to FoF the ghost in the cemetery wasn't a spider. According to FoF, also, the beast of Dartmoor was filmed in Devon rather than Cornwall Posted Image

They didn't close off the right section of road. If you look at the video that they "examined" you can see the amazing light, but there are other lights and they move relative to each other. There are twin red lights that move away and some bright whiter lights that move closer, passing the red lights in the opposite direction as they get closer to the camera vantage point. The twin red lights are tail lights while the brighter lights that come toward you are the headlights. The brighter/white lights changes intensity drastically during the footage because the cars are coming over a hill and then going down it, as they come over the hill and angle downward, the headlights beam becomes more and more direct to the viewer and thus gets brighter in intensity until the car begins to angle down the hill and then the beam is directed away from the viewer so it isn't pointed at the camera...and the light gets dimmer.

Watch here at about 55 seconds and you can see the cars passing each other in opposite directions:

Here are two stills which show that the lights change position and are in pairs (like head/tail lights)

Just watched the unedited video (the one that's blurry), and even in that you can tell that there's a highway there and that those are vehicle headlights and taillights.

#13 AndyinGA

AndyinGA

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

There seem to be a few instances of this in NC. And it has claimed additional lives:

http://articles.cnn....-wreck?_s=PM:US

That's tragic, people should think about what they are doing, walking out in the middle of an active trestle, is not a good thing to do. My heart goes out to the families of those young people that lost their lives.

#14 AndyinGA

AndyinGA

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Good to see a Tarheel on here :) My folks are from the Carolinas, but I was born in Savannah, GA. My dad was Air Force when I was born, so all of my growing up life was spent on the road.

#15 NikiSpence

NikiSpence

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

I was hoping that the Paulding Light legend was real until I heard that some Michigan Tech college students debunked it. I found a link to a site that explains how they debunked it. http://www.mtu.edu/n...story32436.html Like a lot of Urban Legends, some people hear a story about something in a different town, tell people that it happened there, add their own little spin on it, and BOOM! Seems like that might have happened there. We have a cabin in the northwoods of Wisconsin, about an hour away or so from Watersmeet, Michigan, where the Paulding Light is. I might be getting the paranormal team that I work with together to do our own investigation up there. I will definitely keep you posted on our findings.

#16 IceManPJN

IceManPJN

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

Now, either we have similar stories north and south....

There's probably these sorts of stories literally everywhere. I live in southeastern Ohio and up the road a bit from here is the allegedly haunted Moonville Tunnel (I've been up there multiple times, both day and night, alone and with others, and we've experienced absolutely nothing, even when going through the tunnel in the black of night without any light source), and there are train-related stories of ghosts there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users