The Minister of Chance

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Now in his fourth incarnation, defrocked Time Lord The Minister Of Chance finds himself saddled with 'Kitty', an 'assistant' he apparently cannot get rid of - and perilously entangled in the court intrigues and military politics of a forest planet on the brink of war. Jenny Agutter, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann and Paul Darrow join Julian Wadham (The Iron Lady) and Lauren Crace (EastEnders) in a mould-breaking audio adventure that will take you to a spectacular world where science is heresy and magic is law...

The first two audio adventures are free on itunes, and you can send money in to contribute for making the third - and there are some enticements for large enough contributions <g> From special copies to getting your name on the credits, to autographs, and for getting to name a character, and more

and yes, it's in the Doctor Who universe

Edited by Mreen, 24 March 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#2 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Minister of Chance adventures are now available without itunes

Download episodes

Just right click on the episode links, and save the zip file.

#3 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Are these any good? I've been busy with a backlog of Big Finish audios -- and not for nothing, but the Tom Baker "Lost Stories" are fantastic -- so haven't had much of an inclination to try these yet.

#4 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

So far so good - I was annoyed with "Lucy" in those Paul Doctor Who eps (tho the stories were great enough to make her thickness of no matter), but tho the character is very similar in Minister of Chance, I think the chemistry of the strident and stubborn barmaid/apprentice of science, in a world where science is forbidden, following an adventuring eccentric scientist from another world or universe around, really works.

Over all, it seems a bit like a 17th century spy story with some science fiction of a familiar nature thrown in. (Paul is the cool headed adventurer that is constantly one step ahead in the cat and mouse games being played)

I've only listened to the 2 eps and seen the vid, no time to follow up on the site much, but I am intrigued and looking forward to the next ep.

On the other hand ... I haven't had time for a Tom Baker Lost Episode yet! I only got part way thru one adventure.

Edited by Mreen, 02 May 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#5 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

Funding now also done by a "pay what you feel like" with their promotion items they have left

Minster of Chance Shop

There's also an Ebay store for the show too.

Some fun stuff.

#6 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Find got around to this and binge-listened (is that a thing?) to all five parts in the past two weeks. Really enjoyable, and much better than I was expecting!

#7 matthewsee

matthewsee

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 536 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

The Pointed Hand:

Prologue.

This episode features Paul McGann as Durian and the rulers in the land he visits are not very pleasant people.

Pretty intriguing beginning to the series with this episode presenting a grim outlook of the series.

#8 matthewsee

matthewsee

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

The Broken World:

Episode 1.

Good formal opening of the series.

Julian Wadham does well as the Minister and like his interaction here with Kitty (Lauren Crace).

Intriguing the tension that was displayed in the conversation between Durian, The Witch Prime and Lord Rathen.

Also intriguing is the capture of Professor Cantha (Jenny Agutter).

#9 matthewsee

matthewsee

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

The Forest Shakes:

Episode 2.

Interesting on what was revealed after the rescue of Professor Cantha and the Minister sure took no chances with the handling of
weapons.

Not bad coda with the cheering for Durian and the question that was asked on what his intentions with his future.

#10 matthewsee

matthewsee

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Paludin Fields:
Episode 3.
Quite terrifying what happened in the said fields.
Sophie Aldred pops up here as Sophie Aldred as Polichar and she sure made an impression on Durian.

#11 matthewsee

matthewsee

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

The Tiger:<br />Episode 4.<br />Quite a haunting atmosphere this episode especially at the end with what Lord Rathen decides to do and the Minister conceding defeat with the situation at hand.<br />Quite brave of Durian to go to the forest alone.<br />

#12 matthewsee

matthewsee

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

In a Bark on the River Hex:
Finale.
Quite an atmospheric atmosphere to the conclusion of this story.
Quite neat how everything has been settled.
Quite a song to end this song and series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users