Photo

Caprica Season 2 kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: "Kickstarting" scifi shows? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you donate/pay a couple dollars an episode ahead of time to produce a season of a show you love such as Caprica?

1. Yes - $1 an episode (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Yes - $2 an episode (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Yes - $3 and episode (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Yes - more (1 votes [20.00%])

5. No (1 votes [20.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CosmicVoyager

CosmicVoyager

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Greetings,

A paradigm shift in financing and distribution is needed to save quality science fiction television such as Caprica.

Check this out. In a few days, a kickstarter for a scifi game, "Shadowrun Returns", passed it's one month funding goal of $400,000. Everyone who donates $15 gets a copy of the game when it's complete.
http://pc.gamespy.co.../1222491p1.html

http://www.kickstart...adowrun-returns

Kickstarter let's people donate money that is held in escrow and only kept if the goal is reached.

So how much would fans pay ahead of time to help produce a show they loved if they could download commercial-free episodes as they aired?

Would you pay a dollar or few per episode? I definitely would.

Thanks

#2 pakar

pakar

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

Yes i would pay a cpouple of dollas per episode not only to save quality sci fi shows but also for independent productions (like the recently released L5 http://www.vodo.net./L5 ). In these times when neither prime networks nor cabble channels seem to care about science fiction i think this is the way for the production of quality science fiction shows.

#3 AllIveEverTouched

AllIveEverTouched

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

As of this moment the Husbands the Series Season 2 Kickstarter campaign has a little over $54,000 pledged from only 857 backers. This averages around $63 per person.

Theoretically, if everyone who signed the Caprica for Season 2 petition (currently 12,698) donated an average of $63 to having the show continue, Syfy would have $799,974 to work with.

Considering that Caprica episodes were rumored to cost around $2-$3 million each, the best we could hope for would be 1 episode considering the revenue from advertisers and subscribers.

I think fan contributions are best used for things like webisodes (kudos to Husbands), comic books or any other form of bonus material. Unfortunately, the best commodities for TV shows right now are viewers and word of mouth. Throw a lousy rating measurement system into the mix and we're left with the current state of TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users