• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sedna

sedna

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

The premise of the series is interesting, but the science is amazingly bad. Normally, I'm extremely forgiving. I can be pretty oblivious and won't notice it if it's just thrown in or said in passing. But there's just so much of it in this show. For instance...

Rosen defined proprioception wrong. He wasn't even close to right.

Then there was a guy who makes people high on some light he gives off. Rosen attributed the ability to the pineal gland and a dopamine deficiency (L-dopa is a dopamine precursor). The pineal gland and dopamine aren't really related. (Seratonin or melatonin would have been better picks.) At first, I thought he might be trying to BS his way out of there, but no, the L-dopa works nearly instantaneously when injected.

Which brings me to another problem. L-dopa is an oral medication. So is lamotrigine, which Rosen's daughter injected.

Then Rosen says that "active DNA" given to pregnant women causes birth defects? I wonder what else has "active DNA" in it... How about food? Maybe they're promoting anorexia? O no... that's right. They're injecting the stuff. Maybe someone'll inject milk next. Why drink or eat what you can inject? Injecting stuff is cool.

While they're shooting up everything in sight, that autistic kid needs to OD on a little something...

#2 nebariscaper

nebariscaper

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

The premise of the series is interesting, but the science is amazingly bad. Normally, I'm extremely forgiving. I can be pretty oblivious and won't notice it if it's just thrown in or said in passing. But there's just so much of it in this show. For instance...

Then there was a guy who makes people high on some light he gives off. Rosen attributed the ability to the pineal gland and a dopamine deficiency (L-dopa is a dopamine precursor). The pineal gland and dopamine aren't really related. (Seratonin or melatonin would have been better picks.) At first, I thought he might be trying to BS his way out of there, but no, the L-dopa works nearly instantaneously when injected.

Which brings me to another problem. L-dopa is an oral medication. So is lamotrigine, which Rosen's daughter injected.

Then Rosen says that "active DNA" given to pregnant women causes birth defects? I wonder what else has "active DNA" in it... How about food? Maybe they're promoting anorexia? O no... that's right. They're injecting the stuff. Maybe someone'll inject milk next. Why drink or eat what you can inject? Injecting stuff is cool.

While they're shooting up everything in sight, that autistic kid needs to OD on a little something...

Oh dear, you are looking for just a tad of fact checking aren't you? Not gonna happen. Best to take it as pure fantasy and not as Sci-Fi. For heavens sake, the place no longer makes the slightest pretense at bringing us science fiction. They are SyFy not Sci-Fi lest you forgot.

Attached Files

#3 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

As far as science goes, this show is really really horrible. However, going into the show assuming they're going to screw up the explanation every single time, I've learned to completely ignore their theories, suspension of disbelief requires me to throw a few plausible ones in there that work for me, and then I enjoy the show based on what actually happens with the actors, and not on their poorly placed techno babble.

As long as the director and cameraman actually let me see what is happening, I can forgive the brain dead tech and either supply my own, or read the answers other fans came up with here.

I know asking a scifi show to be forgiven for completely hopeless and always wrong medical and scientific jargon is hard, esp if it's not aimed at little kids but adults, but if there is a good storyline, I'll bite back the worst of the criticism just to enjoy the rest of the plot. Maybe next season they'll actually have medical expert with a red pen in to fix that part. We can always hope.

And I really love Gary the way he is. Posted Image

Edited by Mreen, 12 April 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#4 lindamb296

lindamb296

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Really, you're watching the SyFy channel for scientifically accurate television? Firstly, it is Science FICTION. Secondly, it is meant for entertainment purposes, and for that, it is a good show. Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Haven are GREAT shows. SGU was an AWESOME show. But other than those shows, don't look to SyFy for science of any kind, real or fiction. They seem really determined at bringing horrible weekly less than B rated movies on Saturday nights and Reality t.v. shows that have nothing to do with science or fiction (i.e. WW RAW--ok, all Reality t.v. is worthless). The only reason I even still tune in is for The shows still on that I mentioned above. Once they're gone, I'll be off that network (t.v. and website). What a shame.

#5 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

We're just watching it for reasonably accurate techno babble - we don't expect them to have more than that. We don't need a website explaining their tech, we don't need it be based on current research to a reasonable result that might some day be found, if someone wanted to actually do some research or at least watch the Discovery/Science channel before writing, ... just if they use a word, use it right. Or make up their own word. They tend to fall far short, often reversing the meanings of the few clinical terms they throw around or get them wildly off base...

I don't think it is asking too much for them be better than they are. They can't really get worse (I know, I'm just asking for them to find some way to confuse hysterical blindness with road rage or a hysterectomy Posted Image or something like that, by putting that out there)

... I can get by on what they've given us by imaging some suitable substitute, but really, they could use some serious editing to make it a bit more palatable for the audience.

Edited by Mreen, 01 May 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#6 Gax63

Gax63

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

That is why I could never get into Alphas, because it is more fantasy than it is Science Fiction.
Good science fiction should be based in Science, not fantasy.
Since Syfy no longer has any science fiction shows they should change its logo FyFi.
SGU, (Yah, I'm still fracking ******),was the last Sifi show they had as far as I am concerned and now that Eureka is done the only thing that keeps me here is Warehouse 13.
And the disappointments continue with Blood and Chrome.
Once W13 is done I see no reason to come back to this channel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users