• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Johnnyutah20

Johnnyutah20

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

I watched haunted highway for the first time and almost threw up. I'm from Montana and the show highlighted the north Dakota area and the " dark man". My issue is that (like any real scientific experiment) is that there was no control subject. By that I mean someone from the area with the crew who can shed light on the subject. We have two fish out of water LA'ites who "really try to scare us about our own backyard. The truth is - they are painfully ignorant... Eyes in the dark, talking to locals... . I live here and any animal blessed with night vision (more cones than rods) you will see their eyes at night. Yes, this means coyotes, deer, antelope, ...even skunks and badgers. I don't know why I got so fired up after watching this ***** but whoever the brainchild is behind the series... Try to find a scare that doesn't involve poverty stricken natives that will dispell myth to play out to camera and a crew that has "actually ridden a horse". This is embarrassing to some of us to see a bunch of (literally wilderness idiots) play out a completely ridiculous scenario that a lot of us live every day. Please try something fresh...ugh

#2 pagan

pagan

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

I watched haunted highway for the first time and almost threw up. I'm from Montana and the show highlighted the north Dakota area and the " dark man". My issue is that (like any real scientific experiment) is that there was no control subject. By that I mean someone from the area with the crew who can shed light on the subject. We have two fish out of water LA'ites who "really try to scare us about our own backyard. The truth is - they are painfully ignorant... Eyes in the dark, talking to locals... . I live here and any animal blessed with night vision (more cones than rods) you will see their eyes at night. Yes, this means coyotes, deer, antelope, ...even skunks and badgers. I don't know why I got so fired up after watching this ***** but whoever the brainchild is behind the series... Try to find a scare that doesn't involve poverty stricken natives that will dispell myth to play out to camera and a crew that has "actually ridden a horse". This is embarrassing to some of us to see a bunch of (literally wilderness idiots) play out a completely ridiculous scenario that a lot of us live every day. Please try something fresh...ugh

Good point if the show had anything to do with "pure science", which is not quite where it is coming from. :o Point being, it is a "show", mind you not a very good one but the arguments cited are quite academic and any college debate tean would love to hear them, it is just a show, that when reality is applied to it, fails to prove anything, except that there are other people who will watch anything for reasons quite unknown to them on a conscious level. :huh: :huh:
Everybody lies.

If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic.

The notion of picking 1 times of the year to be decent to others is obscene because it's actually validating the notion of being miserable SOB finaly.

Your biggest problem...hell I don't know what it is!!! Ask somebody else.

#3 Noctyrnus

Noctyrnus

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

AMEN!!!

I'd get more of a thrill listening to the older residents around town here about ghost stories than from watching this show. At best the show gives me opportunities to poke fun at the teams and how they investigate. Most of these investigators only try to track or detect the paranormal. The original researchers before "ghost hunting" became so popular actually tried to scientifically scrutinize it and try to determine what it is and its properties.

#4 pagan

pagan

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

AMEN!!!

I'd get more of a thrill listening to the older residents around town here about ghost stories than from watching this show. At best the show gives me opportunities to poke fun at the teams and how they investigate. Most of these investigators only try to track or detect the paranormal. The original researchers before "ghost hunting" became so popular actually tried to scientifically scrutinize it and try to determine what it is and its properties.

Been doing it a LONG time and the "new ways" ARE NOT always the best. Just my opinion ;)
Everybody lies.

The notion of picking 1 times of the year to be decent to others is obscene because it's actually validating the notion of being miserable SOB finaly.

#5 Noctyrnus

Noctyrnus

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

Been doing it a LONG time and the "new ways" ARE NOT always the best. Just my opinion ;)

Merely saying that before ghost hunting became so popular, that the original researchers back when it was unpopular to even talk about it were the true researchers.

#6 pagan

pagan

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

Merely saying that before ghost hunting became so popular, that the original researchers back when it was unpopular to even talk about it were the true researchers.

How well I know and that wan't that long ago.Depended on where one was, geography wise, to even bring up anything thhat had anything to do with "haunted" whatever/wherever was risky. :)
Everybody lies.

#7 brucek

brucek

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Another wasted hour by a network that used to have great programming. When will the real Sci-Fi Channel return?

#8 Raven999

Raven999

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

Haunted Highways is meant to be entertainment.

It isn't science--and it isn't about proving or disproving paranormal activity. If anyone expects the Syfy Channel to present serious scientific investigations into paranormal phenomena, then you are going to be terribly disappointed.

That doesn't mean the program is worthless. Each investigation--no matter how poorly conducted it might be--can promote discussion and the possibility of further serious investigative work in the future.

I found the show entertaining. You have two city people wandering around in a remote corner of North Dakota----it's 'reality' tv with a paranormal emphasis---it's NOT a serious scientific investigation of a haunting--nor is it meant to be.

No amount of evidence would ever convince individuals who are dismissive of the possibility of paranormal phenomena to begin with.

The two investigators were 'out of their element'---of course. That is the appeal of the show---to take city dwellers into remote areas of the United States in order to investigate 'legends, folklore, myths, and possibly real phenomena connected with North America.

The 'Dark Man' or Tall Man Legend is well-known on the northern Plains. I first heard of the Dark Man entity when I moved to the state several years ago. It is not something that the Lakota bring up in conversation when they're talking to outsiders. But keep in mind that they aren't the only people who have had encounters with the entity (phenomena) at night on the lonesome highways that run across the prairie.

What I like about the Haunted Highways show is that it is pointing out to the paranormal/psychic community that it is not just old buildings that are haunted. People who live in the remote corners of the country have experiences that often go overlooked by investigators who have a more urban orientation.

I would like for them to do more background research before they go out on an investigation, but there are budgetary constraints--plus, viewers tend to be impatient when a show provides too much exposition.
“We do not want merely to see beauty….We want something else which can hardly be put into words-to be united with the beauty we see, to pass into it…to bathe in it.” --C. S. Lewis

#9 pagan

pagan

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Just stopping by to catch up on what might have been said, so far since last reading.Noted some very good points and comments :) :) . I do enjoy reading these things. :)
Everybody lies.

#10 DecayingAngel

DecayingAngel

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

This show is so fake and scripted it's pathetic.  SyFy has sunk to a new low.  I've noticed that the trend to completely script shows (as opposed to only partially scripting them) has become the norm.  Guess they think that Jack Osbourne would bring in viewers.  I like Jack, but not enough to watch this show just because he is in it.  And if this is for entertainment, it doesn't quite fit that bill either.

This latest trend in paranormal TV is predicated on the belief that viewers will swallow anything, no matter how absurd and fake.  

The title was misleading to me.  I thought it was going to be about roads in the US that have legends attached to them.  If they really want to do some investigating, try Clinton Road in NJ.  Although I dismiss a lot of the legends, I do think the "phantom pickup" is an actual person who is deliberately scaring passersby.  There have been enough accounts of people taking the ride of their life followed by a spooky pickup that seems to appear from nowhere.

http://en.wikipedia....ind_the_stories

Couldn't believe how badly this show is written and acted.  That is one hour of my life that I will never get back.

#11 ybmagpye

ybmagpye

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

I could not agree with you more. Every time they hear a coyote yip, they freak & alude to the whatever magical, mystical creature they're after this week. They don't know the call of a hoot owl from their own butts breaking wind. You would think, at the very least, before going into wild areas they would first learn what animals are common there, and what sounds the animals make. I decided they are idiots in the current episode where 3 animals grouped together and filmed in night vision, move apart. They seemed to believe it was one animal spliting into three! Come on - how city slicker dumb can you get???

I admit have continued to half watch it... the TV is on an epidsode, as I type - hoping against hope they get better or maybe find something, anything of significance.

#12 pagan

pagan

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

I could not agree with you more. Every time they hear a coyote yip, they freak & alude to the whatever magical, mystical creature they're after this week. They don't know the call of a hoot owl from their own butts breaking wind. You would think, at the very least, before going into wild areas they would first learn what animals are common there, and what sounds the animals make. I decided they are idiots in the current episode where 3 animals grouped together and filmed in night vision, move apart. They seemed to believe it was one animal spliting into three! Come on - how city slicker dumb can you get???

I admit have continued to half watch it... the TV is on an epidsode, as I type - hoping against hope they get better or maybe find something, anything of significance.

Be careful what you wish for, you might end up getting something worse than what we have. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Everybody lies.

#13 cmandbeleevum

cmandbeleevum

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

Here are these idiots..walking around out in the middle of nowhere, carrying cameras with (as far as I can tell) no form of protection. There are coyotes howling all around, mountain lions prowling about, and in the other location there could be bears or wild pigs/hogs...I mean. They look quite stupid.."what was that??!!" one says...(it's coyotes you moron). Also hanging raw meat where they could attract almost type of carnivore, and they go running to find what happened to the "bait" they hung. Oh gee, a big bad bear has it....let's go chase it down!!

You know...who ever came up with idea needs to have their backside kicked. It makes the "investigators" look stupid, it makes SyFy look even dumber.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users