39 replies to this topic

#1 Puffdream

Puffdream

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

What makes "Alphas" so special that it is Tivo/DVR record-protected like current release movies you pay for on Pay Per View channels?

I set my DVR to record the first episode of the new season on Monday night, but came home to discover it failed to record. I returned home in time to try to record it again during the second airing of the episode on Monday night (I didn't want to miss any of it while unpacking etc.) and saw the DVR error message come up (like it does with Pay Per View channels) saying the show could not be recorded and all recording functions were going to stop. All other SyFy shows can be recorded to my DVR, so what's so special about "Alphas"? Since I didn't have these recording problems last year with Season 1 I'm confused. What's Up SyFy?
SF

#2 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,709 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

What makes "Alphas" so special that it is Tivo/DVR record-protected like current release movies you pay for on Pay Per View channels?

No problem DVRing (TiVoing) it at my end.

#3 Vendikarr

Vendikarr

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

I set my DVR to record the first episode of the new season on Monday night, but came home to discover it failed to record. I returned home in time to try to record it again during the second airing of the episode on Monday night (I didn't want to miss any of it while unpacking etc.) and saw the DVR error message come up (like it does with Pay Per View channels) saying the show could not be recorded and all recording functions were going to stop. All other SyFy shows can be recorded to my DVR, so what's so special about "Alphas"? Since I didn't have these recording problems last year with Season 1 I'm confused. What's Up SyFy?

My TiVo recorded it just fine.

Posted Image

"I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I've got absolutely no problem leaving the exact same way."

#4 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,210 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Both my daughter's DVR with ATT Uverse and mine with Verizon Fios recorded fine.

Syfy member since April 1999

#5 Vendikarr

Vendikarr

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

I am seeing that other DVR customers were having problems with Syfy programming if their cable system was Suddenlink. Is that your provider?

Posted Image

"I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I've got absolutely no problem leaving the exact same way."

#6 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

My VCR recorded it with no problem.

(I don't want to hear it! :P)

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#7 Puffdream

Puffdream

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

I am seeing that other DVR customers were having problems with Syfy programming if their cable system was Suddenlink. Is that your provider?

No, I use Dish Network. Guess I'll see tonight if there's a problem. Glad to hear SOMEONE say they've heard others complain - I was starting to feel a bit Gaslighted ;-) So odd that Warehouse 13 recorded just fine, but 1 minute into Alphas it shut down with the copy protection error message.
SF

#8 Puffdream

Puffdream

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

Well poopers, Alphas won't record again this week. So is it a SyFy issue or a Dish Network one?

:unsure:
SF

#9 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

Test the recording with Warehouse 13 and some other show. You need to use a non-Alphas show as a control.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

#10 davidjbj

davidjbj

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

I have the same problem with TWC. No other show ever gave me this problem. I am using an Panasonic DVR that
I have used for years. First noticed when my recorder missed the opening episode, so I tried to catch the On-Demand,
I started the recording then went back to work to find later the recording did not complete. Then tried it again in real time
and saw the message from the recorder saying the material can not be recorded. Thought is was OnDemand limitation,
but just watched episode two fail tonight. A minute into the hour, the recorder started flashing the error light.

What gives? I don't have time now to see this show, it will be later in the summer/fall when I can start. This is how I view
most TV (and often start too late for On-Demand as that only holds 3-4 episodes at a time now), but way too early
for DVD release.

Syfy seems to always find ways to annoy viewers rather then attract them. Cancelling good shows, now limiting
viewership to THEIR time. Seems like it's time to give up on them completely and find other channels to watch.
Stargate gone, Eureka gone, Caprica gone, now can't save shows to watch a whole bunch at a time, not a viewer
friendly station.

#11 mikj4

mikj4

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

I've had the same problem....second week in a row. I have Charter Cable and this is the only show that has ever informed me that it's copyright protected. I've decided that I can live without watching this program if Syfy is going to make it more difficult to view. I'm so disappointed with the direction this network has gone. Oh, well, I can always read a book......cheaper too....

#12 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,024 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

I have the same problem with TWC. No other show ever gave me this problem. I am using an Panasonic DVR that
I have used for years. First noticed when my recorder missed the opening episode, so I tried to catch the On-Demand,
I started the recording then went back to work to find later the recording did not complete. Then tried it again in real time
and saw the message from the recorder saying the material can not be recorded. Thought is was OnDemand limitation,
but just watched episode two fail tonight. A minute into the hour, the recorder started flashing the error light.

What gives? I don't have time now to see this show, it will be later in the summer/fall when I can start. This is how I view
most TV (and often start too late for On-Demand as that only holds 3-4 episodes at a time now), but way too early
for DVD release.

Syfy seems to always find ways to annoy viewers rather then attract them. Cancelling good shows, now limiting
viewership to THEIR time. Seems like it's time to give up on them completely and find other channels to watch.
Stargate gone, Eureka gone, Caprica gone, now can't save shows to watch a whole bunch at a time, not a viewer
friendly station.

Here's the schedule for tonight's episode:
Jul 30 10:00 PM Alphas The Quick And The Dead
Jul 31 12:00 AM Alphas The Quick And The Dead
Aug 3 11:00 PM Alphas The Quick And The Dead

You'll have two more chances to watch/record it plus you should be able to view it on syfy.com and hulu.com once it becomes available.

I hope this helps.

#13 davidjbj

davidjbj

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

Here's the schedule for tonight's episode:
Jul 30 10:00 PM Alphas The Quick And The Dead
Jul 31 12:00 AM Alphas The Quick And The Dead
Aug 3 11:00 PM Alphas The Quick And The Dead

You'll have two more chances to watch/record it plus you should be able to view it on syfy.com and hulu.com once it becomes available.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, but after 5 tests, it is clear that SyFy is doing something to block recording on at least some systems (Time Warner cable) and having the episodes
available for when *I* am ready to watch is how I watch TV and have for years. If they continue to block users from legally recording for future viewing (recording
for private, in-home use has been upheld in the courts) then they have lost a viewer of future series (and the advertising that comes with it, I don't mind it, it all
records, but now they loose if viewers stop watching all together). I don't have hulu, and watching on a PC when I have a 60 inch HD TV is not a comparable option... :-)

Thanks

Dave

#14 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,709 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

Thanks, but after 5 tests, it is clear that SyFy is doing something to block recording on at least some systems (Time Warner cable)

Not to state the obvious, but have you called Time-Warner and actually asked them about it?

#15 giggles

giggles

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Not to state the obvious, but have you called Time-Warner and actually asked them about it?

it's not JUST time-warner!! I have Cox and this makes the second week of this BS!! If i can't record it then i can't watch it.. Oh well, I guess I will have to find something else on monday nights to record and watch..

I can't believe that nobody knows WTF is going on...

#16 Vendikarr

Vendikarr

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

it's not JUST time-warner!! I have Cox and this makes the second week of this BS!! If i can't record it then i can't watch it.. Oh well, I guess I will have to find something else on monday nights to record and watch..

I can't believe that nobody knows WTF is going on...

Well they don't normally tell me, so I don't know.

But, do you really think the network would block recording of this show only on certain cable systems? It's more likely that the issue is with the cable systems. Perhaps something was set incorrectly during the last eight months. Call your cable provider and push them to get to the bottom of it.

Posted Image

#17 mikj4

mikj4

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

I called my provider (Charter) and they insist that they have nothing to do with blocking this show. If it only occurred with one provider then I'd be tempted to say they were at fault, but it sounds like there are at least three different cable companies with the same problem. So why is this show different?

#18 soundping

soundping

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

My Windows Media Center with CableCard says "Copy Protected" I can still record it. I just can't make a backup.

#19 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,024 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm taking a shot in the dark here: Could the issue be that parental blocking was set?

#20 btracy

btracy

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

The issue isn't parental blocking. I have the same issue as reported here. I have not been able to record any episodes of Alphas this season because the Copy Never flag is applied to the broadcast (if you don't understand cableCARD broadcast flags take a look here: http://www.missingre...uner-essentials). This means you can watch it live but it can't be recorded. I contacted my provider (Charter) and they insist that the Copy-Never flag is being applied by Syfy. To be honest, I didn't believe them but coming here and seeing it happening on multiple networks means it must be Syfy adding the Copy-Never flag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users