627 replies to this topic

#1 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hi. My handle is naiad and I've been posting here since Dominion. A while back I did this r/w for SGU and got some intersting discussions going. Went on to SGA which I had only watched sporadically,not too many answers but quite a few readers, so.......here we go

I'm going to start with the movie, made in about 1995, not sure who wrote it.No one is credited with the screenplay that I can see.An interesting piece on its own accord and the template for the series.

We begin in Giza Egypt in 1928,at an archeological dig.From the apparent distance from the pyramid complex,I would say south and west.Nowadays Giza is a suburb of Cairo,Cairo having grown so much partly due to tourism which is 90 some % of Egypt's income.Right south of the Sphinx, there are three pyramids,in exact proportions and located so a shaft of moonlight would enter on a certain night into an opening within the pyramid.They were built around 2600BC (or almost 4000 years ago) These were commisioned by three pharoahs(perhaps to be a tomb, maybe not,).The first was Khufu or Cheops, the next his son Khafre and the third by his sucessor Mankarra(his complex includes three burial places for his wives).They are each built of about 2.3 million limestone rectangles, weighing from 2.5-15 tons.The lowest level stone is taller than I am.How mortal men could build these with copper tools supposedly in 80 years or so boggles the mind.The main stones are limestone quarried fairly nearby but originally those were covered with smooth granite stones(as were a few inner passageways) which came from the OTHER side of the Nile and had to be ferried across.Truly a marvel for the ages.Most of the granite has been stripped off and used for other things but they are magnificent either way,and yes, I've been there in 2005.

So, the diggers have found a large round "cover" stone lying flat under ground.They have brushed it off, but can't(yet) read the hieroglyphs written on it.Rather too long a distance away to have been covered by it, is a stone ring and they are pulling it upright with ropes.They have no clue what it is.The daughter of the arch. finds a gold pendant with the eye of Ra and keeps it for herself.

Fast forward to "presentday" . Daniel Jackson(played in the movie by James Spader) is trying to give a lecture on his theories about hieroglyphs and his bored audience is leaving.He goes out in the rain and a car flags him down.Inside is the little girl now a grey haired woman.She wants him to come and try to translate something for her. Since he is broke and homeless, when the Air Force steps in, he agrees.He goes to Cheyenns Mtn(which doesn't look quite the same as the one we've seen for 12 yrs.)It's described as a former missile silo.It, too, goes down 28 levels. He goes in and now we see the gate, wired up to who knows what.First they show him the stuff from the cover stone which they are still puzzling over.In a short while he figures out it says something about "buried for all time the stargate"...first use of that word.

So they ask him about the symbols on the inner spinning ring. They are not hieroglyphs at all but he figures out they are signs for different constellations.Six at a time they lead to a particular place between six constellations and one more gives the point of origin.They have tried dialing different combinations(via a computer which presumably turns the inner stone?) but nothing has ever happened but one or two chevrons lighting up, then it stopped.Now using Daniel's instructions they dial seven places and we see the first whoooosh ever.WOW.

Being the military they want to go look, but want to be sure they can come back.Daniel says he is sure he can do that, so they take him along. The team of a dozen or so is led by Col O'Neill( played here by Kurt Russell brush haircut,beret and black tee)recalled from being retired when his son accidentally was killed with his hand gun and deeply depressed.They send along a Mach 3 nuke in case something wicked this way comes.Into the puddle and thru the wormhole they go .When they get there, it's all dark. They are inside a temple, at the foot of a pyramid, with two stele guarding the ramp to a very sandy desert......right out of Lawrence of Arabia(and like none I saw in Egypt.The ground from the RedSea to Luxor looked like Nevada, not a dune in sight.)The film was shot in Yuma Az.Noone is around.NOONE. and there are no engravings to tell Daniel how to dial back although there is a DHD which wasn't found on Earth.They set up some tents,and O'Neill readies the bomb so he can just turn it on. Daniel wanders off and finds a sort of cross between a camel and a musk ox with a bridle on. Must be domesticated. It drags him towards its home and the soldiers have to chase him.And lo! over the next hill, there are tents and people.(Aside: the distance from the temple to the village where they are mining was inconsistent, sometimes far, sometimes not so much).The people are all dressed in homewoven cloth, vaguely Arab,vaguely?.It all looked hot and itchy. They mine a stone which turns out to be the stone the gate is made from(much later refered to as Nacqueda).We'll learn why later.

Daniel is wearing the old ladies Ra amulet and when they see that, they all bow and grovel.These soldiers are not whom they expected to see but still must have come from the God.

I'll be back to tell you the rest of the story
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#2 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

A sandstorm comes up.Since the natives of this planet Abydos think Daniel and his Ra pendant must be Ra's emissaries they retreat to their village and caves.They offer food and drink and try to be hospitable. Daniel, who can read ancient Egyptian,doesn't understand the spoken version corrupted by many generations. When he tries to use symbols drawn in the sand, the leader brushes them away. Writing is forbidden.Eventually Daniel,whom they see as most important, is gifted with a girl Sha'uri to be his wife. He doesn't take advantage of that but he does talk with her. She draws the Earth symbol and shows him a cave with a bunch of symbols and Daniel is able to figure out Earth's address.When the sand stops, they CAN go home.O'Neill is the object of fascination for a teenager Scaara who tries his lighter, tries cigarettes but O'Neill is adament "NO guns".

There is no mention of the Ancients who we know as the stargate planters.None at all.

While they are gone, the guys at the temple don't notice right away but a pyramid shaped space ship arrives and lowers "over" the pyramid.Walls slide down, a symbol of Ra rises near the top and armored warriors appear from a set of rings which come down thru the air( the first sign of beaming rings used a lot later) Their armor has head coverings of lesser Egyptian gods, the jackel and the falcon for ex. (The word Jaf'ar is never spoken .There is no mention of immature goa'uld symbiotes in pouches and the men below the armor are of different races .) They can be killed with our guns.

So a bunch of shooting goes on and the humans don't do so well.

The sandstorm is over and O'Neill finds a whole new situation. He arms the bomb but doesn't set the timer.In some more fighting Daniel is shot and wakes up inside the temple in a sarcaphagous which has healed him.O'Neill is captured and brought before Ra.The alien has taken as host a teen aged androgynous looking boy with glowing eyes.Besides the warriors he is served by young,preteen children, apparently slaves.He tells him that his is a dying race.He brought the ancestors of the current inhabitants here very long ago to work in the mines.He stops by now and then to get the ore. He has taken this form because humans are easy to repair in his sarchaphagous (these will come up later too).

He makes an appearance to the people of Abydos whom he must continue to rule by fear. He wears a massive headress of the blue crosseyed pharoah that opens SG1 for several years with long robes to make himself much taller and goes partway down the stairs of the temple.That doesn't work so well for him because they have learned from the military.They have some of the guns and stuff from the dead soldiers and they fire on him. He releases bat shaped,falcon headed fighter planes to bomb them. Fight fight ,explode etc.

In the confusion O'Neill finds the bomb is gone and Sha'rui is wounded. Daniel takes her up and cures her in the sarcaphagous.O'Neill gets the bomb back and sets the timer.Wait wait, they have the code.Those soldiers still alive can go back to Earth. Ra is stymied by the uprising of the natives,folds his ship back up and is going to take off.O'Neill can't turn the timer off Tick tock.He uses a blue button on a dead warrior to activate the rings, beams the bomb to Ra's ship and nuclear boom.We see the alien's face. It's a generic alien, not at all what the goa'uld will look like.Hmmm. Daniel decides to stay on Abydos, study the people and live in marraige with Sha'uri. O'Neill and the rest go home.

So some things are pretty much the same and some are different and some don't exist at all. I thought it was worth revisiting the film to point out some of the changes made for the series.

Next up: Premiere, Children of the Gods.
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#3 imzadi35

imzadi35

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

We already have discussions on the different epis here on the board. You just have to do a search for them.

John 3:16
sttngsigoq1.png

stargatesg1SIG.jpg

#4 Bandit82ABN2

Bandit82ABN2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

We already have discussions on the different epis here on the board. You just have to do a search for them.

FYI. The SG1 sub forum only goes back to 2005. At best, we'd find discussions for seasons 9 and 10, not the first 8. So instead, we are going to discuss the entire series in just one thread.

Respectfully,
Bandit
Posted Image

#5 Bandit82ABN2

Bandit82ABN2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Some notes:

The movie was created by Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich.

The movie has the character COL Jack O'Neil, who is married to Sarah, and had a son Tyler, that fatally shot himself. In the series, the character was changed to COL Jonathan "Jack" O'Neill (2 "L's"), divorced from Sara (no "H") and the deceased son was named Charlie.

As a bit of a joke, to explain the differences, in season 2's episode "Secrets" when introducing himself, O'Neill says, "It's "O'Neill," with two L's. There's another Colonel O'Neil with only one L, and he has NO sense of humor, at all!"

In the film, Abydos is located in the Kaliam galaxy. In the series, it's located near Earth.

In the film, the wormhole is omnidirectional, yet in the series, unidirectional.

In the movie, the stargate is moved to Creek Mountain, Colorado, and in the series, Cheyenne.

Ra was a humanoid with reptilian features, and the last of his species.

Ra's warriors are brainwashed slaves using advanced technology. In the series, they are genetically engineered and called Jaffa.

The series Stargate: SG1, was created by Jonathan Glassner and Brad Wright, based off the movie.

Respectfully,
Bandit
Posted Image

#6 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thanks bandit.Might know you were almost the first to answer.I didn't know about the Johnathon(Jack) vs Jack, or the two versions of Sara.I did know the son in SG1 was Charlie.

It had been a long time since I watched the movie, had to dig it out from the back of my collection of DVDs.I was surprised how many differnces there were. I presume the rights to the "idea" or concept were bought and then they were free to make changes to suit themselves.

The premiere episode is double long and I don't have the time right now to write it up.Maybe later today or tomorrow.But I will get to it.

Right now I'm trying to get twitter to show me the trend on BenBrowder for his part in Dr Who which aired on the BBC yesterday.I have no access to that so will have to wait until it shows up on hulu or something.Just glad he's working.It's been too long for a talented guy like him.
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#7 Bandit82ABN2

Bandit82ABN2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanks bandit.Might know you were almost the first to answer.I didn't know about the Johnathon(Jack) vs Jack, or the two versions of Sara.I did know the son in SG1 was Charlie.

It had been a long time since I watched the movie, had to dig it out from the back of my collection of DVDs.I was surprised how many differnces there were. I presume the rights to the "idea" or concept were bought and then they were free to make changes to suit themselves.

The premiere episode is double long and I don't have the time right now to write it up.Maybe later today or tomorrow.But I will get to it.

Right now I'm trying to get twitter to show me the trend on BenBrowder for his part in Dr Who which aired on the BBC yesterday.I have no access to that so will have to wait until it shows up on hulu or something.Just glad he's working.It's been too long for a talented guy like him.

Don't rush it girlfriend. Let's explore the film before you get into the series it started.

Their armor has head coverings of lesser Egyptian gods, the jackel and the falcon for ex.

The Falcon is the god Horus. Hardly a "lesser" one hun. Ra didn't come about until like the fifth dynasty or so. :)

The Jackal is Anubis. He also is a major god, and has a major role in the series.

One must be careful not to confuse Earth Mythology with the ranking system of the Goa'uld system lords. :)

Respectfully,
Bandit
Posted Image

#8 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Oh bandit, dagnab it, I didn't want to get all into it. I mentioned the jackal and falcon heads because I wanted to point out in SG1, Apophis' jaffa have cobra heads, since his symbol is a snake, and Daniel says he is the nemesis of Ra, god of sun,light and good things while Apophis is the dark, night, evil , scary etc.

But thanks anyway for trying to keep me on track
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#9 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

So here we go with SG1,hopefully all 10 years of it.If by chance anyone reading this has not seen any or all of the programs, these will contain what,if it were being aired today, would be spoilers.If that is going to bother you, don't read it.

Children of the gods.It starts out some unknown period of time since the adventure chronicled in the movie, but less than a year. The gate room is empty but for 5 airmen playing cards.The control room is dark. There is a tarp over the gate. Nothing going on. A blond woman Sgt is sort of creeped out and notices movement of the tarp.Everyone else assures her that "Nothing ever happens".Another twitch of the tarp and it blows off and a whoosh comes out. She starts up the ramp staring at the puddle.A metal orb rolls out and scans her with a red beam.She picks it up(dumb) and in seconds in march armored warriors.They are better armored than the ones on Abydos and their foldable headpieces look like cobras ready to strike with red eyes. How they can see, I don't know.Two of them grab her. Another alien in gold armor comes out, folds back his headpiece and is wearing a gold skull-cap. His eyes glow!He uses a handheld device that glows and brainwashes or kills folks(in episodes much later it also heals) Sgt swoons.Gold guy and another go back thru the gate with her. The airmen open fire,which is returned, and kill four of the warriors. By that time the puddle is gone.

General Hammond is beyond angry.He sends for Col O'Neill,now played by Richard Dean Anderson(McGyver), once again retired. The major finds him on the roof of his cabin looking at stars.He is ordered to come back to Stargate Command, which is now in Cheyenne Mtn, actual home of NORAD. Hammond asks him what could have happened. Did he not kill Ra?Where did these guys come from? etc. They go to the infirmary where the dead Jaffa are. The doc says they are not human.Witness the X shaped slot in their lower abdomens which he likens to a kangaroo pouch(first hint of goa'ulds).Hammond is ready to send a mach 5 nuclear bomb thru the gate to Abydos, assuming that is the only place the stargate goes. O'Neill has to tell him he lied on his report. Yes, Ra was killed in a nuclear explosion but his ship was in orbit and noone on Abydos was nuked. And yes,Daniel Jackson stayed behind so please don't send the bomb."How do we know Jackson is there?" O'Neill throws a box of kleenex for his allergies thru the gate. It comes back with a thank you note. OK,. assemble a team and go check it out.One of the team will absolutely be the perky Capt/Dr Samantha Carter astrophysicist,gate expert,logged 1000 hrs in the Gulf War and "just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside doesn't mean I can't match anything you can do".Well Ok, then.Two of the former expedition Kowalski and Frank?

A whole bunch of folks and a cart with equipment go thru.They don't yet have the MALP that can take pics, analyze air and do all sorts of neat things.When they emerge at the temple,locals with guns are guarding it.Daniel comes running to calm things down.They all sit down for an evening meal.His wife ShaRe is into PDA which make the boys hoot. He swears they have been guarding the gate "36 hrs a day" and nothing has come thru ,. Well, then what has happened. Daniel,now played by Michael Shanks, leads them to a much larger cave than the one in the movie and it is all covered in symbols,in groups of seven.He thinks it is a map to ALL the places the stargates go.Carter launches into an explanation of planets drifting as the universe continues to expand, which has to be compensated for in order for the gates to work now some 4000 or whatever years later.O boy,I can write a computer program and we can go visit all these places etc etc.

There is still no mention of how the stargates got there and there is no explanation of why there is a pyramid or who built it with stones from where. It's just there with its temple complex.

Meanwhile back at the temple, the gate kicks in and here come the jaffa.They capture ShaRe(who is played by a different actress in the movie and my best guess as to her name is Viaterra Benadon or something like that.Someone once told me she and Michael Shanks had a child but ???? I know he's married now to Lexa Doig of Andromeda). They also take the boy Scaara(played in the movie and here by Alexis Cruz who is very funny at cons).After that fiasco,O'Neill insists that Daniel come back thru the gate.Daniel tells his friends to bury the gate so noone can come thru, but in one year from this day(we don't know how long that is with 36 hr days?) taker them off and I will try to bring Sha Re home to her father. Home they go to Earth.

One of the wounded soldiers saw the seven symbols the aliens dialed. The higher-ups have declared that as soon as Carter's program is up and running, nine teams will begin exploring which stargates still function and who and what is there.For now SG1 will be O'Neill,Carter and Daniel and SG2 will be led by Kowalski.They have a gate address, so off they go.They land in a forested mountainy planet.SG2 is to guard the gate and SG1 goes to explore. Quickly they run into a bunch of men with what look like leaves as hats and cloaks.Daniel asks to be taken to a town.Hike hike hike and there it is Chu-lakh.Up on a hill.Vaguely Greco/Roman. Vaguely Byzantine.Since they came thru the Chapieye they must be welcome. They are invited to a feast with 18 or so folks in wildly eclectic costumes.Some toga like, some Grecian,with flowers and feathers and various hats. Oh oh here come the jaffa.The team is put in a large prison chamber.Lots of other eclectic folks. We've already had a scene where the head Jaffa comes to a sort of harem, all women in flimsy outfits. He chooses the blond Air Force Sgt and she is dragged away.The "God" who is playing Apophis admires her and has her clothes stripped off. A woman,elaborately dressed and bejeweled comes from a curtained room and lifts her robe. She has the same X slots(is she a female Jaffa????) and with a look that could be agony or ecstacy a snake like critter emerges covered with mucous. It has a three part mouth, some sort of wingy appendages, a few more shorter one,but basically looks like a 2 foot snake.Aside: it looks nothing at all like the humanoid face or skull we saw in the movie as Ra)Apophis asks it"does she please you my love?" the critter goes partway up her chest, turns and retreats into the slots."Too bad"" says Apophis, "bring another" Goodbye Sgt. The jaffa goes back.This time he chooses ShaRe, same inspection technique, he stuns her with the glowy stone,the critter comes out and this one it likes.So they flip her over on her stomach and the snaky thinks dives into her back at about waist level.When next we see ShaRe she seems in a trance, she's all dressed up and the "god" introduces her as their new queen.Her eyes glow.

I don't know if I even want to speculate how the two goa'uld get together to breed since they are in two host bodies. But breed they apparently do because the next big scene is the folks from the banquet coming to the prison room to "choose Hosts for the children of the gods. "
Scaara is one of those chosen.They take 8 or 10,it's not clear and the order comes "kill the rest".All this while the head Jaffa has been carrying out these tasks with a blank look but he is definitely not enjoying them. He has also noticed O'Neill's watch and said"that is not goa'uld technology" so we learn what the snakey things are called.As his minions begin to kill everyone in sight O'Neill says "Help me save these people" and he suddenly turns. "Many have said that, but you I believe" so he turns on his own men. Kill them all. O'Neill uses one of their staff guns to blow a hole in the wall and leads everybody thru it.The Jaffa stands alone "I have nowhere to go" "well you can stay at my place" so he goes along. He tells O'Neill his name is Teal'C (played by Chris Judge),

They all run for the Stargate because in 20 minutes or something,the gate will be sealed and they can never return.There is more fighting as other Jaffa show up. There is a ship with beaming rings that lowers the banquet folk ,the "children" and Apophis and ShaRe so they can gate out.O'Neill calls to Scarra who sends him a** over appetite with a glowy stone while HIS eyes glow.They gate away. Noone can see the symbols. Quickly they get in touch thru all the fighting and bombs and stuff, open the gate and go home to Earth, dragging their wounded.

Daniel is asking "How will we find her"?O'Neill assures him they will keep looking,and looking and looking. Kowalski is slow to get up.In the fight we had a glimpse of a goa'uld diving out of its slots and onto the back of a soldier.Well, they haven't discovered it yet but it went into Kowalski's neck. As he limps down the ramp,his eyes glow but all the medics and stuff have left already.

New episode soon.
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#10 Bandit82ABN2

Bandit82ABN2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:19 AM

I presume the rights to the "idea" or concept were bought and then they were free to make changes to suit themselves.

In the mid 80's an Egyptology student named Omar Zuhdi wrote Stargate, and submitted a copy to Devlin and Emmerich for consideration. They rejected his story.

10 years later the actual movie is made. Zuhdi sues everybody involved for copyright infringement. While the case was settled out of court, the gist was Devlin and Emmerich had to pay Zuhdi for the copyright to his work.

Now that stargate has a "clean" copyright, Devlin and Emmerich sell the copyright to MGM.

MGM has maintained the copyright since.

Respectfully,
Bandit
Posted Image

#11 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I loved the movie. Never saw it in theaters bcs it looked like 'army in space' in the local trailers, but when a friend showed me a tape, I immediately regretted not seeing it on the big screen.

I have several copies as they keep coming up with new versions and formats. <g> I don't think I have blu ray yet. *sigh*

I like the longer version, with the extra 10 minutes or so, where they show the boy being chosen by Ra, and a few extra scenes in there. You, Naiad, might find that opening scene repetitive as they use much of the same footage from the Ra flashback, but the overall story had some nice nuances.

One of the bits I loved, that you skipped over, was how Daniel, spotting his 'brother in law''s gang with guns, turned the 'forced to execute your friends' bit into a 'you just handed your prisoner a weapon', and how they made it back thru a sandstorm to the gang hide out - the same cave that ShaRe's people had been hiding their written history for generations, and the cave where Daniel learned to talk to his wife, by figuring how to pronounce the ancient language that disappeared in that form thousands of years ago on Earth. After the rescue, is when Daniel understood ShaRie was meant to be his wife, not just a concubine, and that she was hiding the fact that he 'rejected her', and they realized they were already in love.

When the series I came out, I was pretty happy. It had, of course, only a TV budget to spread out over a year, compared to the movie budget, resulting in a comparatively cheesy sfx, but I watched every ep enthusiastically, to see Jack and Daniel at it again.

For the first season or so, I saw it on broadcast television. The DVDs, which I bought, showed the scenes cut from cable ... but for the most part, I liked the broadcast version better as the additional scenes, in the pilot, were pretty much just gratuitous nudity which detracted from the story.

Edited by Mreen, 17 September 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#12 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Mreen I'm watching an old set of all ten years.It has no commentaries or close captioning except in Spanish and French. So I'm guessing on spelling and I have no insight into the goings on except my own.

Yes, I tend to skip over(which means I forgot it from the time I saw it until I wrote).Creeping senility. One point I forgot to discuss was the extreme speed with which SGC came up with a titanium iris for the gate. They left for Chu-lakh,stayed 24 hrs and came home to a new shield. I can never figure out where the iris goes when it opens? the back of the gate?Carter says something about a very small amt of space so incoming travelers cannot remolecularize. I also would like to more about the goa'ulds. This is what I know so far.They are aliens.They take over hosts usually with evil plans.The immature ones are carried by the Jaffa in a genetically designed pouch,act as an immune system and a healing system so Jaffa live long and healthy. At some point, the goa'uld is mature and is transfered to a human host which it then controls.I think the Jaffa then dies,he doesn't get a new one like a recharged battery. Right?Teal'C's goa'uld is roughly half the size of the one that entered Sha Re. Did the "children of the Gods "receive goa'uld matured for them in other jaffa? male or female? does gender matter?

Mature, they are maybe 2 feet long.They have a mouth divided into three parts, some appendages but mostly slither like snakes.They have a genetic or racial memory of anything any goa'uld ever learned (Utterly ridiculous but supposedly true)Somewhere later in the series Daniel finds a race of hominids living at the cave man level.They are the origianl hosts of the goa'ulds who live in a lake on their planet.A lot of technology seen so far has been attributed to the goa'uld.Ra's glow stone,Jaffa weaponry and armor, space ships etc.Even in a human host, how did this technology come to be.These snakes were able to think up, design, and teach the manual dexterity required and gather the materials required.....all using host people from primitive civilizations.......or do we find they are using Ancient Technology....or do we never find out?We won't get into the Tokra because it's a while beore they appear.

Anybody have more info?? or thought?? Perhaps this was talked out years ago, but I never saw that. I see folks are reading.How about writing?

I'll be back with Enemy Within
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#13 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Yes, Jaffa get a new one like a rechargeable battery. Otherwise, they'd die as their immune system has been compromised by taking on the host job and having the snake, symbiotically, take on the healing job.

Basically, they are hatched, lizard like, and something in the reptile brain takes previous memories of the parents. Why? they are sci fi aliens and who knows what goes on with their reproduction and genetics, but that's how it works. Maybe it is emphatically imparted to the eggs during mating. Unimportant, except to remember they are born evil. Well, hatched evil.

(Like a lot of lizards, adults of the species, find the eggs of their own species quite the delicious snack ... but that doesnt matter for years.)

When they hatch, they are immature and cannot survive on their own. Like baby kangaroos <g>. So, since humans are their preferred hosts, they genetically engineered some Jaffa to carry the babies around in pouches till they are mature. Males go to male Jaffa, females to female Jaffa, to incubate till they are strong enough to take over a host's mind, with the years of experience imparted to them. There appears to be no medical reason why gender needs to be the same, but it's a tradition.

Since the Jaffa would die when the snake grows up, they get new ones when it matures so that they can serve longer. If a Jaffa never gets a snake (usually awarded at puberty), they never need one, and are free from a biological need to keep on the good side of the snakes.

Once they are mature, they choose the best body available for themselves.

As host, it is immaterial if the body is male or female, but they prefer to match genders if there is no practical reason to switch.

They enjoy a familial relationship, but are Machiavellian in nature and will sacrifice their spouses and children to get ahead - but that doesn't mean they aren't out for revenge if someone else hurts them, or that they don't enjoy their kin's company ... but a family of backstabbers is how it is.

As symbiots they are a scavenger race. While in the movie it was all apparently Ra's own people's tech, we eventually find out that their god like powers, that we know are just tech, aren't even their own tech, but stolen from Ancients passing thru. Humans are their favorite hosts and they rarely take any other species, so in ancient times they constantly stole humans from Earth and seeded them in colonies all over the galaxy, to have ready supplies at hand, and avoid that 'all eggs in one basket' worry that something might wipe us out.

The original species they took over was like a man-sized Godzilla sort of creature .. or maybe those things from V. Silurians from another planet <g> - but ever since 5,000 years ago (I think - could have been 10, but I'm going with 5), it's been humans human humans. We wear better, and are easily repaired, as Ra put it - having the same host for 5000 years is not uncommon among them.

This is not in depth, but a skin surface overview of what we got from 8 years of eps with them as the main villains.

Edited by Mreen, 17 September 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#14 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

Thanks Mreen

Enemy within

We open in the gate room. Every few minutes ,the chevrons light up. Sgt Harriman(Gary Jones) says "Incoming traveler". They close the iris and start the self destruct clock. We hear lots of thumps and bumbs and see lights flashing.Daniel asks if the iris will hold,Carter says it's pure titanium and there is too small a space for anyone to remolecularize. O'Neill says"Like bugs on a windshield."....so apparently whatever Jaffa are trying to get in are killed.The noises stop, the wormhole closes, they open the iris and shut off the self destruct.Apparently this has been happening at intervals for some time. Teal'C says eventually they will give up and stop trying.

Meanwhile Major Kowalski has a terrible headache.He goes to the infirmary and when the doc examines him he finds a wound on the back of his neck. As he prods it, we can see movement under the skin and Kowalski grabs the doc and strangles him. His eyes glow.

They are having a conference.Even though O'Neill assured Teal"C that he was welcome on Earth, the military is not so sure.He is a first contact alien and although he swears allegiance to Earth,they want to examine him and his symbiote more. Kowalski complains again of a headache and collapses. This time they do an MRI.Noone seems to miss the other doc.(Eventually Carter finds his body.) There is a goa'uld wrapped around his upper spinal cord.To remove it would probably kill or paralyze him. We next see him in restraints on a Circ O Lectric bed. I haven't seen one of those used in 20 years. We used to use them to make it easier to access the front and the back of burn or spinal cord injury patients.There are two stretchers and the patient is like the meat in a sandwich. Circle him halfway and remove the top stretcher.Some hours later, replace that stretcher and circle him back. Repeat prn.Most patients don't like it.I remember teaching students to fasten the knurled knobs tightly on the stretcher so it didn't dump the patient out.We had a whole lab session on those and the Stryker frames which turn like a rotiserie.Haven't seen one of those lately although they are still used sometimes in OR depending on the procedure.It's safer than flopping them over by hand.

Now they lock Teal'C up and then they question him. How many goa'uld are there?Don't know. How does their technology and ships work? "It is forbidden to learn the magic of the goa'uld"
Can they get to Earth other than thru the gate"They have space ships,it would take weeks or months" The military guy is not getting anywhere.

The doc operates on Kowalski.There are filaments going up into his brain and the body is tangled in the vertebrae.Doc manages to cut them all and pulls out a two foot long reptile looking thing.I don't know what they do with it. I think they should study it carefully.

Now the military guy really wants to take Teal"C someplace else. He has the only living goa'uld in his pouch.O'Neill and Hammond protest vehemently.It's the same old"we've got an alien,let's cut him up" that was a theme in Starman and in Farscape when John is tricked into thinking he's in Oz and they dissect Rygel.I wonder what we'l do if the day ever comes that we make contact?????

Kowalsi is up and awake.Teal'C is going to be flown somewhere. Kowalski asks to thank him,personally, by himself.Ok, the guards leave.Kowalski's eyes light up and he tackles Teal'C. They struggle and K. wins.He makes a beeline to the control room and tries to dial the gate out.Everyone comes running.Teal'C follows him up the ramp and they struggle back and forth with parts of them going in and out of the puddle. They shoot Kowalski with a Jaffa weapon and he falls to the ground.They get the gate turned off.A little red, charred core of the goa'uld crawls out .What the doc got was "a husk"......see they should have studied it...the red thing dies. Kowalski,I'm not sure.

We end with Teal"C the fourth member of SG1, stepping thru the gate to save the galaxy one more time.
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#15 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

If you look, you can see Kowalski lost part of his skull in the gate opening and closing - possibly part of the real Kowalski's struggle with the baby snake in his head, probably not.

To be fair, I believe they did study what they pulled out of him earlier, but not having any knowledge to work with, they weren't sure what they had. Autopsy was scheduled, but it all had just happened very quickly.

The stories are simple, but they do have military minds obsessed with autopsies and studying aliens in all the early eps, anxious to find out whatever they could.

It is interesting at this point in the story, it is believed by everyone (except Daniel) that when the snake takes over fully, the host is killed, replaced. It was unheard of for a host to be freed, and Teal'c only knew rumors of strong willed hosts that occasionally influenced the snake. He told Jack that 'nothing remains of the host' - and during ep 1, clued Jack into that to prevent Daniel from becoming the son's host.

Daniel clung to the rumors and firmly believed that ShaRi was still alive, inside her brain, and fighting the symbiote, and would someday be made free by her resistance, if he was there to help her.

Everyone else would as soon shoot the host as the snake itself <g>

Edited by Mreen, 18 September 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#16 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Mreen Yup, I missed parts of the skull missing and I didn't remember if we ever saw Kowalski again. I do wonder, though, how humans will deal with aliens if we ever encounter them.It'll depend in part, on what the alien has to say about it too.Judging by how all too many of us respond to anything "different",it probably won't be pretty. Maybe more like in V.

Emancipation

For the first time, the team of four go to an address they know nothing about.At first the areas around the gate are in ruins.It's another planet that looks like British Columbia.A boy comes running with four dogs chasing him and not in a friendly way. Behind them are horsemen with bows and arrows. The horsemen's leader comes up.By now they have all cleverly deduced that Carter is a woman.She is not to look at and certainly not speak to anyone.O'Neill and Daniel try to explain to them that she is a valued warrior, too.

They go to their tent city of yerts.Apparently these are descendants of Mongols from the time of Genghis Khan,although not all look very Asian.The leader insists that Carter is not properly dressed. Daniel urges her "when in Rome" and "archeologists do this all the time" She is dressed in a fancy, lowcut gown with a big headdress and a veil. She does not like it.
It seems that the leader's teen age son ,Abu, is in love with the daughter of a rival chieftain, Nya, He kidnaps Carter at night and they ride to the other chief's yerts. He wants to trade Carter for Nya.

The chieftain refuses that trade but gives him 300 whatever, a good price for a woman.Of course Carter hates all this and cooperates as little as she dare.When Abu arranges to meet Nya that night, Carter befriends her.Urges her on.Women's rights etc. Then Carter steals a horse and tries to escape.Doesn't get far.

The two groups meet . Abu's dad offers 350 and 400 whatevers to buy Carter back.O'Neill offers 500 although he doesn't have any of whatevers. They decide to let the chieftain fight it out.Carter, back in her military gear, challenges him, not realizing this is a fight to the death.He has a large knife, she has a bayonet.She does pretty well for herself.At a sort of a draw, O'Neill shoots his handgun into the air once and offers it to the bad guy for Carter. Deal. They beat it out of there before he finds out there are only a few more rounds in the gun.

Abu's father has learned from all this that they used to treat women better and they should start doing it again. Abu and Nya may wed.Cheers all around.Nobody worries that 22 tribes allied with the bad guy may not be enlightened as well.

This is the first of many episodes where SG1 comes into a culture, functioning sometimes for centuries ,but doesn't like something about something they are doing. This time they had to save Carter from a fate worse than death, but there is always an excuse. Unlike StarTrek whose prime imperative was to not alter first contact civilizations(but they often did too), SG1 goes traipsing all over the Mlky Way Galaxy trying to get everyone to live the American Way that they believe is better.Not too far from the current political problems, trying to make Mid East tribes that have fought for centuries accept democratic living.Nope, I don't have a solution for it. It just happens.
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#17 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Jedi38. I got your message on my Yahoo account .Don't know if you are reading this thread. I am a computer ignoramus and don't know how to PM or download.Thanks for offering.If you can explain what I should do,I'd be delighted to have it. Thanks
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#18 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

This was the thing Amanda Tapping feared most. A story all about she being 'the girl', and how she must be treated differently as 'the girl' or fight to be accepted bcs she is 'the girl'. She had a sit down with the writers and explained to them this issue, and they did a pretty good job of toning it down after that, for her character.

SG-1 wiped out a lot of civilizations, as I recall. This group got off lucky. Posted Image

Edited by Mreen, 18 September 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#19 naiad

naiad

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Broca divide: The broca area of the cerebral cortex of the brain is associated with generating speech.Persons with damage to the area can understand but not reply to speech or use the facial muscles,etc to form words. It is connected to the Wernicke area which governs understanding or reading. Persons with strokes to this area hear but do not understand.
Depending on the extent of the brain injury,you could have either or both.

The planet the team goes to is sort of like this in that it is divided into dark and light. Apparently one side always faces their sun and the other does not.Actually there would be a terminator zone fairly wide where you had both sunlight and darkness and you would expect one side to be very warm because of constant sunshine and the other quite cold.The SG1 MALP says the dark side is 40 degrees F.So never mind the physics or the botany, because the same forest grows in both parts.Not likely.The MALP goes thru and says oxygen atmosphere, etc so the team goes thruough wearing night vision goggles.Its lights are broken in the wormhole transit(that's not good)

They get glimpses of fur wearing people(?) thru the trees. A larger group is having a big campfire whose light allows them to see that they look a little like Neanderthals and that a male is about to attack a female.Carter wants to stop the rape. Daniel says "this is probably their usual sexual behavior" The strongest male gets the woman(women).I think they shoot guns in the air to scare them off.Some folks covered in white robes and hoods appear. They call themselves the Untouched while the cave men are the touched.

They go a short distance to the sunny side and find architecture common to Minoa on the island Crete,The clothing and the many bull statues suggest these people's ancestors originally were brought there from Crete.They say the demons have not come in at least a generation.O'Neill is ready to go back. The goa'uld have not been here so ShaRe and Scaara are not going to be here.Daniel wants to stay for days( days!) and study their culture.O'Neill says "No". There is a young woman in a circle, the isolation circle.They think she may be touched and even though she is the leader's daughter,if she gets sicker they will take her to the woods.Noone knows how you become touched.Hmm

O'Neill insists they return to Earth.Soon one of the Marines(SG3 is a Marine unit?) gets violent, foams at the mouth and has to be medicated and restrained. Carter(poor Amanda) wearing a cropped tee comes into the Men's? locker room and crawls all over Jack saying "I want you.I want you" Whoa, that's not our silent Sam,worshipping from afar.One by one others get sick, and they lose their ability to speak in words.Their brows thicken and they look more cave-man like. They run out of isolation rooms. Daniel and Teal'C are not affected.Neither is Capt Janet Frazier MD (Teryl Rothery), the new head medic.She thinks Teal'C is immune because of his symbiote and that she and Daniel are immune because both take high doses of anti-histamine for allergies.She needs an untouched blood sample.

Daniel and Teal'C go to try and get one. Daniel is captured by the Touched so Teal'C goes on alone. Noone will agree to have their blood tested, so he knocks out a guard and takes a sample.Yes, it's low in histamine,probably from their diet.

Aside: why a virus lowering histamine of all things would trigger this systemic of a disease boggles the mind,but they don't go much for accuracy here.O'Neill, though sick, asks Dr F to experiment on him. She gives him a whopping dose of antihistamine and he's all better. Even his bones return to normal.Who's have thought??????

The recovered team go back to rescue Daniel,who already has a woman by his side sharing his meal.Jack says "Danny,if you keep this up you'll have a girl on every planet" and shoots him with a tranquilizer dart.They give all the Touched shots of antihistamine(the Benadryl Cure)and everyone goes back to normal.The untouched welcome their relatives back.The team will show them what to do to avoid the disease coming back. If only medicine were that simple.

Carter tries to apologize for her behavior. O'Neill claims not to remember it because he was sick too. Then he just has to say "S'pose I'll never see that sweet little tank top again" sigh! Come on writers,grow up.Or did RDA ad lib it? He's known to do so. SGC bows to Daniel's plea and other SG teams will stay and learn more about culture, etc.

An early warning of how the authors are going to handle science, medicine,facts.Don't say I didn't warn you.
Technical info nerd
CEO and Mad Hatter #68
AKA TINemo and Furlow

#20 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

A warning to take to heart, as I recall<g>. Then again I used to watch The Incredible Hulk, and never mind the gamma ray theory - I could understand their theory of adrenalin and stimulating growth of cells and all that, but even as a kid, the bit where once the growth stopped, how the new cells all disappeared in a minute, never made sense to me. Kids didn't shrink once a growth spurt stopped ...

But that's when we all learn the 'just go with it' rule. It was a cool show. So .. okay, same rule for SG1. Never be stopped by science not making sense, bcs that's pretty much how they roll <g>

It was nice to see SGC listen to Daniel and stop making everything about the military "can we use it or should we dump it" rule that Jack lived by. Also we see that he's really pushing himself to believe Daniel's theory that if they find the brother and sister, both can be saved. Scaara is Jack's substitute son, after all. But ... part of him is convinced that the snake kills the host, and it makes him antsy on the subject.

One of the great side results of this ep, was the written part for a one time role of a doctor on anti histamines, Captain Janet Frazer. She did so nicely in the role, and for the sake of continuity, they ended up calling her back for the next medical emergency ... and then as they began to figure out medical emergencies could be a mainstay of script sources, somehow, a regular role just happened.

Tada!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users