• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 CaptScott

CaptScott

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

I keep wondering why Syfy channel, which is a science fiction channel, would have WWE. I understand it is pure fiction, but there is no science fiction in it. Common people, do we have to have this for ratings to go up? Then why not have better Syfy movies, and less censorship with fuzzys in the pictures. That's like going into a "Gaming" store and have them selling terrible furnature too.

#2 nasFX

nasFX

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

SciFi was the home for sci-fi programming. Universal bought the channel, then after a few years it became Syfy. The name change and the new slogan 'Imagine Greater' was to signify that it was no longer exclusively science fiction. ECW wrestling was also on Syfy, but vanished when they were bought out by WWE. Another non-scifi show was a cooking show starring some guy from the Bravo Channel show Top Chef. The cooking show was so popular that it was almost canceled before it began.
Personally, I miss the old Sci Fi days. Doctor Who and Dark Shadows in the morning, short run tv series in the evening, like 'The Phoenix', ' Automan' and 'Manimal'. Okay, maybe not Manimal or Automan. The channel's first broadcast was the Star Wars Trilogy hosted by Carrie Fisher. Teri Garr hosted showings of the 1977 and 1980 special editions of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Robert Englund played host to the entire 'V' miniseries and tv show.

#3 santafe37a

santafe37a

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Somebody please kindly tell me why restling is on the Syfy channel? This dose not make any sence! Friday night is so boaring I have to pop in a DVD. Tuseday night suck because of Face Off is on!

#4 emily12345

emily12345

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

LOL IKR? WRASTLING is not real
I guess the syfy team team thought WHY NOT? its syfy
I dont get it either

#5 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,072 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Wrestling is more profitable.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#6 EFox281

EFox281

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Wrestling has no place on the Scyfy channel..... aside from it being fiction involving grotesque figures acting out scenarios in elaborate costumes.

#7 DKHitz

DKHitz

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

abit of food for thought

if sci fi was so bad then why does star trek convention do so well and have been going on for so long? why is the san diego comic con now and international event that movie companies send their new movies to for display? why are there so many vendors at these events? if there was no money in sci fi then they would not be bothering to show and sell? i have been to the site that tells what execs are still employed and to my amazement these execs are still employed, how badly do you have to be at your job to get fired? obviously alot. funny some people are crowing about how wrastling is great on syfy, funny the ratings are subpar at best and isnt wrastling supposed to be some cash cow? i mean usa's wrastling does quite good, so then why is syfy's wrastling doing so poorly in comparison? on that thought, exactly that type of programming is a good one to put after it? what type of lead in is wrastling? is it action/comedy or maybe comedy/reality or better yet all the above? there are a ton of questions to propose for these "intellegent" execs and / or those that defend them and honestly i am so ready to them all on and dismantle them. their arguement is so swiss cheese i can drive a truck thru it.
David Robertson

#8 DKHitz

DKHitz

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

how is the network to sell ad time and expect to get paid when they can not show notable numbers to a vendor?
why would anyone want to advertise their wares on a network that offers the same thing as a network within the same company that has far better numbers? hence, why would someone advertise on syfy wrastling when they can advertise on usa wrastling.
i would wager that because of the poor numbers that comcast / nbc universal / syfy have to offer potential advertisers goes like this - usa, lifetime, etc are in a packaged deal with the likes of syfy, being that one gets two networks for the price of one and half.

from tv by the numbers, who in their right mind would pay for less eyeballs then more eyeballs for the same venue? unless they doing it as a charity case, which then if they are then sign me up then. i will be some charity case network then.

December 4th, 2012

Show
Net Time Viewership (million, Live+SD) Adults 18-49 rating

WWE Entertainment USA 8:00 PM 3.58 1.2

WWE Entertainment USA 10:00 PM 3.36 1.1

WWE Entertainment USA 9:00 PM 3.37 1.1

December 3rd, 2012

Show
Net Time Viewership (million, Live+SD) Adults 18-49 rating (Live+SD)

WWE FRI NIGHT Smackdown SYFY 8:00 PM 2.53 0.7

HAVEN SYFY 10:00 PM 1.53 0.4
David Robertson

#9 TheTranslator

TheTranslator

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Hello, I'm new here and created an account just to ask a question.

As of the past few weeks, WWE Friday Night Smack Down has been televised in the Spanish translation version. Since I'm not Spanish speaking, I find it very annoying not being able to enjoy the commentary like I used to. Anyone else experience this, and is there any trick to get back the English version?!?

TIA

#10 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,072 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Hello, I'm new here and created an account just to ask a question.

As of the past few weeks, WWE Friday Night Smack Down has been televised in the Spanish translation version. Since I'm not Spanish speaking, I find it very annoying not being able to enjoy the commentary like I used to. Anyone else experience this, and is there any trick to get back the English version?!?

TIA

Do you have a setting on your TV or DVR that allows you to hear the Spanish simulcast instead of English? But if it's televised in Spanish, then that's all you'll hear.
WWE is available on Hulu.com, so you maybe you can watch it there: http://www.hulu.com/search?q=WWE

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

#11 TheTranslator

TheTranslator

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Do you have a setting on your TV or DVR that allows you to hear the Spanish simulcast instead of English? But if it's televised in Spanish, then that's all you'll hear.
WWE is available on Hulu.com, so you maybe you can watch it there: http://www.hulu.com/search?q=WWE

Ah, I found a tiny language button on my remote, which I've never used nor was aware of. I most likely hit it by accident. However, when I tried it on other channels, the entire dialog was in Spanish. With Friday Night Smack Down, the ring announcers were translating the English that could be heard from the wrestlers inside the ring, as opposed to the entire show being Spanish. Anyway, I'll have to wait until next Friday to find out. Thanks for the info and the link... :rolleyes:

#12 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,072 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Ah, I found a tiny language button on my remote, which I've never used nor was aware of. I most likely hit it by accident. However, when I tried it on other channels, the entire dialog was in Spanish. With Friday Night Smack Down, the ring announcers were translating the English that could be heard from the wrestlers inside the ring, as opposed to the entire show being Spanish. Anyway, I'll have to wait until next Friday to find out. Thanks for the info and the link... :rolleyes:

Glad to be of assistance. :rolleyes:

#13 joehanx2

joehanx2

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

in order to get rid of wrestling on syfy we must endure the pain of dropping the channel. until the problem is fixed. imagine greater does not mean we have to watch adults play fight on tv we can go to a paintball range for that. see we pay cable company, they pay the channel, we drop to basic lose channel, cable loses revenue,prob should be fixed.

#14 DangerAce

DangerAce

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

I can't imagine a greater home for pro-wrasslin' than the SyFy Channel. They go together Like good times and painful urination. Viva la WWE! ARRIBA!
Mahalo,
Vic Falcone

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common - they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views." - The Doctor

#15 AICoder

AICoder

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I too am disappointed by the direction the channel has taken "Sci Fi" and Battlestar Galactica are what drew me in. Watering the channel down in the hopes of getting a larger audience will drive the sci fi fans away, and, I believe, not result in drawing new folks in, thus resulting in zero viewers. While we're at it, all the "paranormal" stuff can go away too. That's not science, and therefore not sci fi.

#16 TheTranslator

TheTranslator

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

While we're at it, all the "paranormal" stuff can go away too.

I couldn't agree more.

That's not science, and therefore not sci fi

It's fake and scripted :rolleyes:

#17 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,072 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

There was sports on syffy all day yesterday. Not a bit of sci-fi in sight.

Edited by pscard, 26 July 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#18 craykclan

craykclan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

This question has been asked so many times... I think the answer is because Pilgrim Films owns it and SyFy is more or less owned by Pilgrim Films... or at least the head guy

#19 TheTranslator

TheTranslator

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'm partial to pro wrestling being a long time WWE fan. However, that boring horror makeup costume show and scripted paranormal stuff - not to mention various game shows is disappointing to say the least. Now they've sunk to this reality show garbage like Fangasm. All the good shows are getting cancelled...this network is going down the tubes, and it had such promise. I'd rather watch WWE, or one of those hilarious giant bug movies, than those boring shows that should be televised on a mainstream network, instead of a network that's supposedly dedicated to "horror" and "science fiction"  :blink: 

#20 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,072 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

WWE Seeks New TV Home After Failing to Renew With USA, SyFy

World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. (WWE) is seeking a new home for its “Raw” and “Smackdown” shows after failing to renew an agreement to air the programs on Comcast Corp. (CMCSA)’s USA and SyFy cable networks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users