Nope, not yet.

#3 craykclan

craykclan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

I heard this show was cancelled and it really ****** me off, this was one of the best shows that SyFy had on

#4 SciFiDavester

SciFiDavester

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

I heard this show was cancelled and it really ****** me off, this was one of the best shows that SyFy had on

You heard it was cancelled where? I can't find anywhere on the internet saying this.

If it's true, that would be a total travesty. After Merlin finishes I probably won't bother to watch SyFy at all anymore.

#5 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Its a reasonable deduction that its done when you havn't heard a peep about it for so long, and reruns don't even air *that i am aware of*.
The Fantasy/Sci-fi novel series begins, join Hollia and Rhulan as dark forces converge on Stratalia
Secrets of Aesperia book 1: Stratalia Conspiracy.
now available at Leanpub.

#6 SciFiDavester

SciFiDavester

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

No, it's not a reasonable deduction... They've been doing the same thing for the past several years now. I would really love to know why the SyFy Channel hates this show so much even though it gets good ratings despite their best efforts to the contrary.

#7 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

No, it's not a reasonable deduction... They've been doing the same thing for the past several years now. I would really love to know why the SyFy Channel hates this show so much even though it gets good ratings despite their best efforts to the contrary.

I'd imagine the expense of sending a team with expensive equipment all over the planet with very little returns might have something to do with it.

Does the ratings and money made on the show exceed the cost of making it? Aside from some fur and tracks of Bigfoot and Yeti, have they returned with anything that would SyFy channel rich and famous due to ownership rights and for sending them out there in the first place?

Its nice to be taught about other cultures and obscure monsters. But there is a reason they have them go after ghosts so much; ghosts are the attention whores of the monster world.

Also there is the additional costs crossing boarders, the hassle of legal paperwork to film in those countries and additional costs for that, and as pointed out once; the risks their team and crew in regards to local authorities thinking they might be spies or smugglers, or some other problem *the whole planet doesn't get the SyFy channel*

Its a game of Risks vs Rewards.

Also why Ghost Hunters International seems to have irregular seasons. Ghost HUnters is much cheaper with just driving around this one country. ANother reason why we are more likely to get another season of Paranormal Highway or what ever they want to call it than more globe trotting shows.
The Fantasy/Sci-fi novel series begins, join Hollia and Rhulan as dark forces converge on Stratalia

#8 SciFiDavester

SciFiDavester

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Your view of the show is a bit odd... The show isn't about finding things; it's about travel, exploration and investigating. Finding things and making discoveries isn't the goal of SyFy, instead it is viewers, ad revenue and brand loyalty. Personally I could care less whether they ever actually find anything; I'm much more interested in the adventure, exploration of the unknown and being entertained.

As to the cost of making DT, I wonder how the cost compares to a show like Warehouse 13 or Lost Girl. I'd imagine the cost for DT would be much lower.

Since SyFy hates this show so much I wonder why they don't just sell the rights to another network (such as Travel Channel or Discovery) where it could be so much more successful and popular if only given a fair chance.

#9 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Lost Girl was a bad example as SyFy doesn't make the show they liscense it for viewing in the United States. Its actually a Canadian Show.

However, on Destination Truth, it does work better as a travel show, showing exotic locations, cultures, and obscure local legends and folklore.

The issue with the "finding things" angle, is examining the ghost hunting shows where SyFy has clearly taken over and moved them away from doing as many homes and gone to bigger places that seem to turn up more weird things. I have even speculated that even if the crew is not in on it, that SyFy producers may occasionally hire certain individuals *like magicians* to go in and pull some tricks on the crew. If it has a human heat signature chances are pretty good its a human; even if the naked eye can't see it.

Also if we examine SyFy channel's general line up, it is mostly re-broadcasts of older shows, although the last few years have seen some original shows; but with several liscensed shows mixed in. But each show and movie has a projected budget that has to be maintained.

it still stands that a globetrotting show is kind of pricey. Which even if not cancelled would be why there are so few episodes and they get stretched out so thin as to make it look like its been cancelled.

*Also their constant inability and bad tracking does annoy me at times.

they may very well have found a living albeit small sub-species Moa. But instead of silently tracking it and trying to get a clear shot like an animal documentarian would they rushed at the heat signature. Which anyone whose ever done this a bird knows...they flee...and very quickly.

You don't run at animals. Which is what most these cryptids would be. I mean sometimes they stop and think (wait this large heat signature could be a bear or a tiger, or some other local large animal and break off).

Yeah and if they had someone along who films animals for a living, or knows anything about them. they'd be able to get a good shot of what ever they are tracking and know pretty quickly if that weird heat signature is a 900 pound cat or a 900 pound ape-man (and really is that any worse? I mean running after something that could also be a monster isn't any smarter)

*we would have pursued the heat signature that may have been the 20 foot long killer giant tentacled horror. However we had reason to believe it may have been a leopard so we turned back. Don't want to go after anything that might be dangerous after all.

Anyone see the flaw in reasoning here?

#10 SciFiDavester

SciFiDavester

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

You focused on a technicality and ignored my question, again talking about how expensive DT probably is and that being the likely reason for so few episodes, spread thinly and such. I ask again, how do you think the expense of making DT compares to that of making Warehouse 13?

#11 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

You focused on a technicality and ignored my question, again talking about how expensive DT probably is and that being the likely reason for so few episodes, spread thinly and such. I ask again, how do you think the expense of making DT compares to that of making Warehouse 13?

Its not important.

Especially as both have different production teams with different projected budgests as per their contracts with SyFy,

Also I ignored your question because I felt like ranting about something else related to the show, and here was as good a place as anywhere.

If you can't get past that I am agreeing that this show would work better on Travel channel, and probably get a budget that covers more than a few nights at any one location, and the equipment.

Cost is not a solid thing for production, its budget that is important, and wether or not the production can make its budget or ends up exceeding it.

Pretty sure a filmed show, with real actors, sets, and what have you is likely to have a bigger budget than a small crew travel show. But of that small crew travel show tends to exceed its budget then there is a problem.

Pretty sure SyFy doesn't compare shows like Warehouse 13 too Destination Truth, but rather looks at the ratings in relation to simular programming that is likely to have a lower budget and yet have simular or better ratings such as Ghost Hunters.

Why fly a crew to the middle of Indonesia to look for shadows out of the corner of their eyes and vague voices on a taperecorder, when they can have three vans drive between states for the same effect, and better ratings.

Naturally I don't know what their projected budgest are each season or how close they come to them. So this talk is actually kind of pointless with out those figures. My point was speculation compared to simular programming.

#12 SciFiDavester

SciFiDavester

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

Nothing you just said makes one bit of logical sense to me (other than the Travel Channel bit). Hee hee.

#13 Rhuen1

Rhuen1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Of course not, because there is no way to accuretly describe a situation without the proper data. Also its a time/risk/reward/ relative proposed budget, ect... factor.

Its like a fruit vender compairing apples and oranges. Even if you use the same amount of labor and care, how its done specifically, who is doing it, at what cost they are doing it, the equipment used, and the expected reward are not the same in the end. Even if too anyone else its just two orchards with different fruit.

#14 craykclan

craykclan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

You heard it was cancelled where? I can't find anywhere on the internet saying this.

If it's true, that would be a total travesty. After Merlin finishes I probably won't bother to watch SyFy at all anymore.

Aaron Sanger posted on his paranormal pop culture website that DT along with Fact or Faked and Haunted Highway have all been cancelled.

#15 SciFiDavester

SciFiDavester

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Aaron Sanger posted on his paranormal pop culture website that DT along with Fact or Faked and Haunted Highway have all been cancelled.

Can you provide a link to this post you mention? I have no idea who Aaron Sanger is, but he seems to be spreading false rumors. According to Jael de Pardo, Haunted Highway is starting to film new episodes to be shown this summer.

#16 craykclan

craykclan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Can you provide a link to this post you mention? I have no idea who Aaron Sanger is, but he seems to be spreading false rumors. According to Jael de Pardo, Haunted Highway is starting to film new episodes to be shown this summer.

Here is the link to Paranormal pop culture's website.. and please pardon me, his name is Aaron Sagers
http://www.paranorma...rmal-shows.html

#17 craykclan

craykclan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Of course not, because there is no way to accuretly describe a situation without the proper data. Also its a time/risk/reward/ relative proposed budget, ect... factor.

Its like a fruit vender compairing apples and oranges. Even if you use the same amount of labor and care, how its done specifically, who is doing it, at what cost they are doing it, the equipment used, and the expected reward are not the same in the end. Even if too anyone else its just two orchards with different fruit.

I can understand the difference.. DT has one budget and must stick to it in order to make the show work.. but with the cost of air travel going up all the time and costs of the crew and the stars well I just think it is too much for SyFy to pay.. now a show that is filmed on a sound stage I would think would cost less just in terms of no crew and stars traveling abroad...so their budget would of course be different...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users