Photo

Stranded - New Josh Gates produced show.

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Deepvoid

Deepvoid

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Syfy has so much faith in this show, there's not even a forum dedicated to it.

So with mods and admin's blessing, this will be the official Stranded thread.
The DT board is dead so I figured it would get more traffic here.

#2 MoeGreene

MoeGreene

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

When does the show start?

EDIT: I found it, It starts tonight at 10 PM. It could be Syfy does not have faith in it, so why waste a forum on it. Geez, if Ghost Mine has a forum that must tell you where Stranded sits in the Syfy Hierarchy.

#3 GracieValenti

GracieValenti

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think they are just bad at keeping this place updated. Defiance doesn't even have a subforum, and it's supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

#4 Deepvoid

Deepvoid

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Since the downtime, Syfy never put back the link to the forums on their main page, which is ridiculous.

#5 Tunusa

Tunusa

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

Starts shortly here, I am actually really looking forward to this one.
The ads I've seen remind me a bit of MTV's Fear from a few years ago.

Sometimes we create things simply because we want them to be. 

#6 Jnxd1

Jnxd1

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

The ads I've seen remind me a bit of MTV's Fear from a few years ago.

Sadly MTv's FEAR was, from talking with the people at the locations they visited, 100% fake. In fact, MTv even had to pay damages to some locations for having altered or causing damage at the properties in various ways to make them more scarey to the contestants.

I do have a glimmer of hope for Stranded being that Josh Gates is involved, but being a SyFy show I reserve the right to *face palm* after the premier. lol

#7 Tunusa

Tunusa

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

ha
I was watching this saying to myself that place looks kinda familiar...
I went fishing with 3 other people there on a tiny boston whaler and as we came around from one side of the island to the other the waves came up over the sides of the boat and all but sunk it. The boat was full of water, we barely made it to Star island where we waited inside there for an hour or so untill the ferry showed up and took us back.
so I was literally stranded there for awhile. :)

#8 Etepgod

Etepgod

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Any word on how to sign up for this show?

#9 lvingdeadgirl78

lvingdeadgirl78

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Interested in how to sign up for this show :)

#10 Tunusa

Tunusa

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

hmm... I like the "Fear" like element the show has going for it. Letting people sit and stew in a strange location as their minds work overtime in trying to make sense of noises and shadows seen from the corner of their eye.
Because its their minds that created and built up the unknown, it equates into a very real exhibition of fear.
As much as they tried to hide it tho, I felt like it was over produced. At least for my tastes. The fake overlay showing me that its recording, what cam its on, and time of day takes away from the authenticity. Have the cams they are using at the time list it or don't show it at all. And maybe its the skeptic in me but within seconds I suspected these people were a little too comfortable in that environment.
I will continue to make a point in watching it for now, as long as production keeps as much of a hands off approach as possible.

As far as getting cast on the show at this point in time I can only guess that knowing Josh or someone at SyFy is your best chance. That or being very lucky while trying to get on another show. Probably wont see "real" people until it picks up in popularity.
-I'm basing that off what I know of other "reality" shows, so I could be very wrong.

#11 MoeGreene

MoeGreene

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

They had a cast call out to the general public to be on this show. I am sure that if the show comes back again, they will do it the same way.

#12 Jnxd1

Jnxd1

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

Sorry, I'm going to have to call bunk on this show.

One of the girls (the blonde) they have on the show is a woman by the name of Sara Gates. In a show produced by Josh Gates... you see where this is going. Related or not it's a little iffy.
http://www.unionlead...ATION/130229218

Throughout the show she seems to know things are coming... evident even in SyFy's own promo video where she reacts not only last, but it look like she's expecting the loud bang. (@ approx 13 secs)
http://www.youtube.c...&v=ahzzUUotYeQ#!

She also seems to push the group. When they're in the graveyard in the rain she's the one that says they should go back inside for an EVP to contact the kid(s).

Obviously she loves horror movies, and Twilight, as noted in her MySpace profile. (can't hide from MySpace! Haha... talk about being haunted)
http://www.myspace.com/thesarabear13
and Facebook - http://www.facebook....Bear?group_id=0

Then there's the CosPlay with her episodes "skeptic"...
http://twitpic.com/bztj9s taken from her Twitter account: https://twitter.com/thesaragates

Just so you don't think I'm hating on Sara...
Here's Sean's
MySpace - http://www.myspace.c...geId":32934569}
Facebook - http://www.facebook....0485?group_id=0

And "skeptic" 'Xand's Facebook page... she's also a fan of cosplay and horror movies. So yeah... skeptic... riiiight.
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

Don't get me wrong, I love DT and Josh Gates, but c'mon. I loved DT and Josh Gates because of the humor. This show... just builds to nothing. It's not funny. It's not scary. It's pretty lackluster.

I'll give it a few more chances, but it's gonna have to pull out the stops. No more of these "I'm a skeptic, but not really" people. If I can find out who these people are via social media in 10mins, you can too. Which begs the question, why didn't you guys?

#13 Pr0cessor

Pr0cessor

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

I think The Blair Witch Project is more believable than this show.

#14 Deepvoid

Deepvoid

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

I haven't watched yet but will do tonight and post my comments afterwards.

#15 Deepvoid

Deepvoid

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I predict a 1.46M viewers with 0.5 in target demo.

** edit **

OK I was wayyyy too optimistic.

Ratings are 920,000 viewers with a 0.3 in the 18-49 demo.

#16 cobbiebean

cobbiebean

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

After sitting through another weary episode of GH, I thought I'd give this Stranded a look...This could have been a good show had it come out about 6 years or so ago...it might appeal to a very young audience...looks as though they took ideas from previous paranormal shows and paranormal movies and rolled them into one big Bob Marley... pretty cliche'...not much new here...although the island looked like a neat place with a good pier for fishing...

I know Josh Gates is very popular on these forums, but geez, is that all you got...?
Maybe it was just a case of opening night jitters... hope the next ones find a niche...

#17 cellophanemanghost

cellophanemanghost

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

What I think is funny is that they say the show used 'REAL PEOPLE". What are investigators on their shows...robots? They are too good to be called "real people"?

#18 tipihome

tipihome

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

I wondered along the same lines

i

native2.gif

#19 bhwnc

bhwnc

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Interesting yet not very original concept. The potential is there, but so is the opportunity to fake a lot of evidence as was done in the previous shows that tried this type of "real people" in haunted locations.

#20 Tunusa

Tunusa

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

What I think is funny is that they say the show used 'REAL PEOPLE". What are investigators on their shows...robots? They are too good to be called "real people"?

I think the term "real people" is being used as a distinction between people with paranormal backgrounds who are also accustomed to using the equipment while doing investigations as opposed to fans of the subject matter who want to take part in something they previously haven't. The latter being what they want us to believe.
In this case I think the people we watched don't exactly fit that criteria as they were very comfortable and obviously had (IMHO) too much direction prior to filming. This is not uncommon for new shows trying to make the cut. They often will do things with a more guided hand until the show is successful on its own and the network gives them more flexibility, so I still hold out hope it will improve in time but I don't expect the handful of episodes already filmed will differ much from the one we have seen in that regard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users