txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

http://www.scifiexpo...dcc-guests.html

Lots of great guests:...

Are you going? I may go. The convention center is only about 5 miles from my house in Irving.

Syfy member since April 1999

#3 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

I definitely intend to go, barring any unforseen happenstance. I haven't bought my tickets yet, but I will do so in advance as soon as I see the guest schedule. Plus, I need to start saving up for autographs. I won't be able to afford all that I would like to get, but Nathan's for sure, hopefully John Noble and Jasika, maybe Colin Ferguson.

Posted Image
Reviews of SF, Fantasy & Horror books, movies, TV, comics at templetongate.net

#4 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

I definitely intend to go, barring any unforseen happenstance. I haven't bought my tickets yet, but I will do so in advance as soon as I see the guest schedule. Plus, I need to start saving up for autographs. I won't be able to afford all that I would like to get, but Nathan's for sure, hopefully John Noble and Jasika, maybe Colin Ferguson.

How much do the autographs run?

#5 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

How much do the autographs run?

Depends on the celebrity. Last February, Adam Baldwin and Jewel Staite were charging $40, I think Ron Glass was $30, but Sean Maher only $20. In October for Fan Days, Gina Torres and Alan Tudyk were both $40, but Felicia Day only $20. I'd expect Nathan to be $40-50. The Shat will be over $50 I'm sure, plus his line will likely be the longest of the whole con so I won't bother.

I'll update this thread when they post that information.

EDIT: For those who think celebrities should not charge this much, keep in mind they have to pay all of their own expenses to the con, plus they provide multiple photos you can choose for them to autograph, unless you have something more personal you'd liked signed, such as a DVD set or a comic. Not only that, they have to put up with us fanatics. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#6 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

If interested, Shatner is charging $80 per autograph, and from reports from those who have seen him at other cons he will not personalize an autograph, it will just be his signature. If it is anything like when Stan Lee was there last year you won't even get close to the table the Shat is sitting at, items are just passed along to him in order and you pick it up further down the line.

I just pre-paid for my Saturday general admission ticket. It was $35. VIP tickets are already sold out. I also pre-paid for two autographs from Nathan Fillion at $70 each. A bit more than I expected, but he doesn't get to cons as often as some others so I might not get the chance to see him again for a long time. You might still get a chance to get his autograph even if you don't buy your tickets in advance, but there is no guarantee on that. I sure am hoping he will personalize it and I get a chance to exchange a few words with him, which I was able to do when I've met other celebs at these events.

Years ago they were at the Richardson Convention Center, a much smaller venue. I saw Morena Baccarin there in 2006 I believe. She is even more beautiful in person than on screen if you can imagine that. I can say the same for Gina Torres and Jewel Staite. Summer Glau is the only main Firefly cast member I have not met yet, but I do already have two autographs from her, one that a friend got for me on the River cover of the original Serenity comic when she was at a con in Florida. The other is on a press kit I won in a trivia contest on the Universal Browncoat site that was set up to promote the movie Serenity. If I get Nathan's autograph on the #1 issue of the Serenity comic, plus his character card from the Inkworks set, that will complete my collection except for Summer's character card. I also already have two autographs from Nathan, one on that press kit, plus I met him in Austin on May 5, 2005, at one of the first advance screenings of Serenity.

Even though I got off relatively early today, I still have 54 hours for the week. I've worked overtime for the last four weeks in a row, and it looks like that might be the case for the next few weeks as well, so I should have enough money to get some other autographs. I'd like to get my Eureka Season One DVD set signed by Colin, and I have Fringe on Blu-Ray, so maybe I can get one of those signed by John Noble. Jasika Nicole is not featured on any of the season sets, so I guess I could just get a photograph of her's signed. As you can see from the partial list of people I included in the first post, there are many more that it would be great to get autographs from, but that overtime pay can only be stretched so far. :)

Posted Image

#7 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

I won't be able to go.   :(   I'm going to have back surgery on the 14th--a 400+ pound patient fell on me--so I will be on bed rest for a while.   Let me know how it goes. 

#8 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'll try to take a lot of pictures and will post the best of them here.

Posted Image

#9 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'll try to take a lot of pictures and will post the best of them here.

Thanks, I'd like that. 

#10 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Adam Baldwin has just been added to the guest list for Dallas Comic-Con next weekend.

Posted Image

#11 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Nathan has canceled at the last minute. I will still be going tomorrow to get other autographs and hopefully get into the Fringe panel with John Noble and Jasika Nicole.

Posted Image

#12 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

I did go yesterday, but it was not a pleasant experience. I also don't have very many photos since I have a cheap camera and a cheap phone, plus there were just too many people bumping me all the time or moving in front of me at the last second to ruin the shot.

Nathan canceling at the last minute was just the beginning. I've been to that venue four times now, and each time they have changed how both the crowds and the celebrities are handled. I was running late, so I got there about 9:30, an hour after they allowed people to redeem their pre-paid tickets or purchase them at the door if they hadn't in advance. Then we were herded into the lower level of the parking garage to wait for the official opening time, which was supposed to be 10:00 for VIP ticket holders, 11:00 for general admission. There were at least 1000 people ahead of me in line, probably more, and even more than that behind me, and they were still lining up when they let the VIPs in. The first photo is the second section of the crowd that I was in, the second photo is of the group ahead of us, a lot them being VIPs.

crowd1.jpg

crowd2.jpg

It was closer to 11:30 when I got in the front door, and since the Fringe panel was supposed to start at noon, I went directly to the main room on the fourth floor. That started almost fifteen minutes late, and the VIP section wasn't even a quarter full, but they wouldn't let any of the rest of us move to the closer seats. That's why I don't have any pictures of John or Jasika on the panel, even the ones I took from the projection screen were too dark and grainy. I was sitting just behind the blue curtain barrier.

fringe-panel.jpg

There were possibly two reasons for more VIPs not being there. They could have been down on the first floor getting autographs from the Trek people (Shatner, McFadden, Spiner and Burton), or maybe because one of the up escalators broke down, and for some reason they were not directing people to use the outside stairs.

It was a good panel with the exception that John Noble is a soft-spoken person, just like Walter Bishop, and a lot of the time he was turned to his left and talking to the panel moderator rather than into the microphone, so there were several of his comments I missed. Jasika's comments were clearly audible though. They did film it, and later I'll look for it on YouTube to see if they were able to tweak the audio a bit. I didn't get a good picture of John in the autograph room either, but did get a good one of Jasika signing a photo for me. She had already signed my 5th Season Blu-Ray.

jasika1.jpg

I didn't take one of John autographing because I was talking to him about a both a mini-series and a movie he's got coming up. Sounded interesting, although I don't recall him saying the titles. Both are Australian productions.

Next was Colin Ferguson. I told him I missed Eureka a lot but was looking forward to seeing him on Haven. He said he will be in eight episodes, but he wasn't sure when he would have to report for filming yet.

colinferguson1.jpg

I didn't get an autograph from Tony Amendola but did get a picture of him. That is not Kevin Smith sitting next to him, just one of the ComicCon employees.

tonyamendola.jpg

There was a guy in one of the lines who said he had suspected Nathan was going to cancel about a week before the announcement. One reason he suspects that is the late addition of Adam Baldwin to the guest list, and he seemed to have a very negative opinion of Official Pix, the organizers of the con. If his info is correct, they take a percentage of both the autograph and photo-op money, so they encourage celebrities to charge more. Plus he's convinced they conspired with Nathan to not only drive up the price but also to attract more attendees. Since they made the cancellation notice at the last minute, they aren't obligated to refund money until after the con. Makes a bit of sense, but if true it doesn't paint Nathan in a very positive light.

Since my pre-payment was with my debit card taken directly out of my checking account, and since I won't be refunded for a week or more, I decided I shouldn't spend any more than I already had. Thus I passed up an opportunity to get another autograph from Adam Baldwin. I already have it on three items anyway, plus he was doing a photo-op at the time I was in the room, then he probably went to lunch after that. He was due back about 2:30, but by 3:15, with a hundred or more ahead of me in line and him still not there, I gave up waiting and left. I went down to the third floor where they had a "freebie" room with posters and comics and such, but there was another long line waiting to get in there, so no freebies for me.

One last photo though. Quite a few in great costumes, and I took several photos but all but one were terrible. Here's the cast of Futurama.

futurama.jpg

Posted Image

#13 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for sharing your visit.  Sorry things didn't turn out as well as you would have liked.  There are just too many people there for me.  That's why I always do on vacation during the off months.  I really hate crowds. 

#14 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,517 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

------------------------
I remember a time when the stars didn't charge for autographs. They were given as an act of appreciation towards the fans for their support and love of the TV show. Things sure have changed since I last attended a con years ago.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#15 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

In a perfect world everyone would do the right thing and be appreciative enough of their fans not to charge for autographs. But it is as much a part of their job as filming their TV show or movie, or writing or drawing their comics, etc. In any market, a product is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. As long as fans are willing to pay for autographs and photo opportunities with celebrities they will continue to charge for it.

In a way, it is similar to situations that I encounter in my life. People have asked me if I do side jobs, thinking they are going to save some money by me doing a job for them outside of the company I work for. Lately I've told them I'm too busy, and usually too tired, to want to do something outside my normal work hours, but if I do then they can expect to pay as much, if not more, for my services, since if I'm going to spend my off time working then I better be well compensated.

Actors deserve their off time too, but if they choose to go to a con to meet their fans then they deserve to be compensated for it. If you don't agree then don't go see them.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users