• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SuburbanGal

SuburbanGal

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

I now see the whole SyFy trend to import series rather than producing their own, as it saves the network serious money.

I don't mind series like Lost Girl and Continuum, as they're being renewed and additional seasons have been ordered. However, I question the choice to import series like Sinbad and Primeval: New World, as those series have been cancelled.

Did SyFy happen to acquire the rights to these series and, if so, will they be ordering more episodes and move beyond a season 1 with them? If not, why promote a new series that will end after 12 and 13 episodes? I'm a bit perplexed by the network's decision to add Sinbad and Primeval: New World to the line up of non-cancelled imported series like Lost Girl and Continuum.

#2 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

I may be wrong, but I think they purchased the repeat rights to both shows before they knew they were going to get canceled. Once they signed that contract though they were obligated to go through with it. They are promoting them so that hopefully they can make a profit through advertising revenue.

Posted Image
Reviews of SF, Fantasy & Horror books, movies, TV, comics at templetongate.net

#3 SuburbanGal

SuburbanGal

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

I may be wrong, but I think they purchased the repeat rights to both shows before they knew they were going to get canceled.

If that's true, then maybe they shouldn't be in such a hurry to purchase the right of other imported series in the future.

#4 SuburbanGal

SuburbanGal

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

I rather like Sinbad. It's too bad this didn't come on the air when Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys were on. I think it would've survived and had many more seasons.

#5 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

If that's true, then maybe they shouldn't be in such a hurry to purchase the right of other imported series in the future.

----

Why? A show that runs just one season has failed to find an audience... but that doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing worthwhile there. 

#6 SuburbanGal

SuburbanGal

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

Why? A show that runs just one season has failed to find an audience... but that doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing worthwhile there. 

I'm NOT going to argue with you.

However, what if the American viewers like these shows and want more after the first season finishes? Just because viewers in other countries didn't like it and didn't want more doesn't mean that'll be the case with American viewers.

I don't think it's right to be showing these series and then simply cutting the loyal American viewers off.

#7 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

I can get as upset as anyone when a show I like gets canceled. But in the cold, hard light of day you have to realize that it's a business to them, not a passion as it is for us fans. They have to please the advertisers, not us, and when that doesn't happen then a show goes away. I agree with your comments in the other thread about the seeming self-destructive nature of network programming, but again, today we have so many viewing options that it is next to impossible to program a show that won't conflict with something else. We can only hope the DVR and iTunes/Amazon downloads can be factored in so that a low rated show can still be seen to be viable for renewal. Critical attention is also important, as witnessed this year by Hannibal.

Posted Image

#8 TRDG1

TRDG1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

I checked out Sinbad as the previews looked interesting at least......  BUt after watching the first ep I was left with a "not a big deal" kind of feeling, I'll watch a second ep but thats about it if I still don't like it then thats it for me.

Cheers, really wish I would have liked it, but that is not the case sad to say.  As to the topic I say let em get some more one offs. as one never knows what might generate new and interesting series re-kick started again, a long shot I know, but still, better than nothing or the same old same old stuff be re-aired again and again, at least they are doing something different!!

Tom

#9 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,061 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

I checked out Sinbad as the previews looked interesting at least......  BUt after watching the first ep I was left with a "not a big deal" kind of feeling, I'll watch a second ep but thats about it if I still don't like it then thats it for me.

Cheers, really wish I would have liked it, but that is not the case sad to say.  As to the topic I say let em get some more one offs. as one never knows what might generate new and interesting series re-kick started again, a long shot I know, but still, better than nothing or the same old same old stuff be re-aired again and again, at least they are doing something different!!

Tom

I am not all that impressed with either one of these shows.  To be honest, I also don't have time in my busy schedule to add any more series to watch. 

Syfy member since April 1999

#10 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Maybe this is a bit premature, however, after seeing the first two episodes of Sinbad, I would watch if SyFy were to somehow be able to bankroll a season 2 - with the precondition that the original writers continue the story and that it is not Americanized.

All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#11 SuburbanGal

SuburbanGal

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

Maybe this is a bit premature, however, after seeing the first two episodes of Sinbad, I would watch if SyFy were to somehow be able to bankroll a season 2 - with the precondition that the original writers continue the story and that it is not Americanized.

I think a lot of people would. I know I would, but  this seems unlikely to happen.

#12 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

If it was going to be revived by Syfy (or anyone else) we would already know about it. Once a show gets canceled the actors and crew start looking for new jobs. If you don't make the decision fast enough you would have to settle for a different cast.

Posted Image

#13 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

If it was going to be revived by Syfy (or anyone else) we would already know about it. Once a show gets canceled the actors and crew start looking for new jobs. If you don't make the decision fast enough you would have to settle for a different cast.

Thanks for the informative post. I knew before I posted that it is more than likely at least some of the actors have moved on with contractual obligations; I would, if I were one of them. I've been around long enough to know that happens.

I would not necessarily object to different actors - I've been a Doctor Who fan since the late 70's ;) , however, I would hope that IF it were to happen - which I assume it won't since SyFy seems dedicated to cheap reality programming these days - the quality of writing would be at least as good as it is now.

Given the way that Sy-Fy depends so much on ratings, I could see them waiting to make a decision until the run completes in the US. So, IMHO, I'm not so sure that we would know already. I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up, rather this part of the post is more on Sy-Fy's business practices and not on them taking on the show and giving their viewers new episodes. As an example of them waiting to make a decision, I'll simply say how long did it take them to decide on bringing Season 2 of Continuum to Sy-Fy?

For Continuum, it seemed like it was very near the end of Season 1 that Sy-Fy announced they were picking up Season 2. My assumption is that they waited that long because they wanted to be sure that Season 1 received enough viewers for them to make a profit on Season 2. As I see it, it is SOP for Sy-Fy these days.

We know that Continuum has been renewed in Canada for a third season, however, to the best of my knowledge, we have no announcement from Sy-Fy whether they will pick up Season 3 yet. Just more Sy-Fy SlOP. Perhaps they should consider changing their name to the "It Depends on the Ratings" channel.

I am actually surprised they put Primeval: New World and Sinbad on in the previously known to be profitable time slot that used to be occupied by their B movie fluff. After all, the B movies, such as they were, used to draw something like 2-million viewers.

So, with Sinbad, I'm not counting on anything, but who knows given the way Sy-Fy now operates, I would not be surprised that if it does well enough in the ratings that they might try to pick it up for new episodes.

All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#14 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Given the way that Sy-Fy depends so much on ratings, I could see them waiting to make a decision until the run completes in the US. So, IMHO, I'm not so sure that we would know already.

----

It's got nothing to do with Syfy, who have merely picked up the rebroadcast rights. The producers of the shows get to make the call.

And not for nothing, but every ad-supported television network makes decisions based on ratings. It's how they pay the bills. It's a trifle naive to believe Syfy is different from any other commercial network in this regard.

#15 SuburbanGal

SuburbanGal

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

I am actually surprised they put Primeval: New World and Sinbad on in the previously known to be profitable time slot that used to be occupied by their B movie fluff. After all, the B movies, such as they were, used to draw something like 2-million viewers.

So, with Sinbad, I'm not counting on anything, but who knows given the way Sy-Fy now operates, I would not be surprised that if it does well enough in the ratings that they might try to pick it up for new episodes.

Me too.

But, even if it comes down to good ratings here, as you pointed out, can SyFy actually commission new seasons of these series?

#16 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Me too.

But, even if it comes down to good ratings here, as you pointed out, can SyFy actually commission new seasons of these series?

Good question.

IF they did, I'd still watch. To me, this is a smart show. In some ways, I see parallels with SG: Universe in that they are exploring the separation anguish of the characters - but that parallel may not be the best of parallels for this show.

I have also been enjoying the mysticism and fantasy aspects of this show.

All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#17 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

----

It's got nothing to do with Syfy, who have merely picked up the rebroadcast rights. The producers of the shows get to make the call.

And not for nothing, but every ad-supported television network makes decisions based on ratings. It's how they pay the bills. It's a trifle naive to believe Syfy is different from any other commercial network in this regard.

Yes, and I did not say they did not. I find it amazing that comments like mine generate comments like this. It's common knowledge to everyone if people who post things like this are given the credit to have some iota of common sense.

To explain further, what I intended to imply was that Sy-Fy might wait until the show's run ends to tally up the ratings IF they were even remotely considering the possibility of picking it up as one of Sy-Fy's own.

Further, Sy-Fy would have to decide to make an attempt before approaching the show's producers. So, from that viewpoint, it would be up to Sy-Fy to make the first move without which there could be no further moves.

All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#18 nypdretired

nypdretired

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

Why isn't SyFy letting Primeval: New World be On Demand?

I'm not always right but I am never wrong.

The above posts are my opinions.

#19 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Why isn't SyFy letting Primeval: New World be On Demand?

----

It's not up to them; they're not the rights holders.

#20 nypdretired

nypdretired

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I tried to go to the Canadian TV web site for Continuum also to see about watching past episodes there. Wouldn't let me cause I live in the US. Bummer.

I'm not always right but I am never wrong.

The above posts are my opinions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users