11 replies to this topic

#1 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

While watching the Sinbad episode Kuji, I saw an ad from Sy-Fy that said something along the lines of

You have listened to us, now we are ready to listen to you. Go to www.syfy.com/viewersvoice to voice your opinion

Well, I went there, and there was absolutely nothing in the survey that lead me to believe it was anything more than a demographic survey for the purposes of marketing to me. There was absolutely nothing regarding any of Sy-Fy's programming, past, present, or future, and the line from the advertisement "now we are ready to listen to you" in the context of the survey seems disingenuous without further context.

Now to give sy-fy credit, the survey did say that it was a registration survey, and did say that they would be sending surveys in the future. However, if I see another "survey" like this one, I will not be happy.

IMHO, SyFy should be a little more upfront about what they intend with these surveys because on the outset, it looks like they are not interested in hearing my opinion about their programming. Given Sy-Fy's general course over the past few years, my confidence in them is no greater after this "registration survey," and if future surveys look like they are purely marketing oriented, I likely will stop participation.

I'm sure the general tone of my post hear sounds negative; however, given sy-fy's past few years, would sy-fy expect any more?

I'll reluctantly urge those of you do not like sy-fy's current course to go through this registration survey (the URL in the quote is correct), and then wait to see if they really want to hear our opinions about their shows. If you are like me, I would expect that most of you would not like to be simply filling out marketing surveys, rather, we really do want a voice in current and future programming choices.

All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#2 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

You really think Syfy if going to listen to the fans?

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#3 Annoyed58

Annoyed58

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

They want far too much personal info.  They can drop dead.

--
"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion." - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor

"Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all." - Former Borg Seven of Nine

#4 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,219 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

---------------------------

It seems they did:

The fans of wrestling.

The fans of reality shows.

The fans of game shows.

The fans of giant mutant snakes.

:(

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#5 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

A bit of an update:

Due to "terms and conditions" in the surveys I took this weekend, I am not going to reveal any details from them, however, I will remain in the realm of generality.

There were opportunities for input on recent and current syfy series, and possible future offerings. There was also an opportunity to say "with all the ***** you are producing and showing right now, do you expect that you will get viewers?"

In more than one survey, it was evident to me that they were looking for a particular response, however, I did not give them the response they wanted primarily because it least interested me.

And there was opportunity for detailed input on why I had no interest at all in one of their current series.

The link I originally posted is no longer valid. However, at the end of each survey is the opportunity to invite five friends by e-mail. If anyone would like me to, PM me, include an e-mail address, and the next time I take a survey, I'll invite you (assuming I don't get swamped with requests.) When you register, they will request relatively anonymous demographic info. I put up with it, and they have requested no more personal info since then. Also, they have a "rewards" program with which you can get real rewards like gift cards. I make no guarantees as to time frame or if or when you will receive an invite, but if you are interested in the possibility of input to syfy programming, this survey program makes sense - at least as I see it. If you are worried about spam, I suggest an anonymous mail forwarding service like sneakemail - I use one, it works great.

All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#6 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

I really do not know; however, they are making an effort to put this in the forefront of people that visit their web site as a link to let you sign up for the survey program is now on www.syfy.com

As I see it, is the most promising avenue for those of us fans who have been around long enough to know that this network has been good in the past.

All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#7 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm going to repeat this information as perhaps, just perhaps, sy-fy might listen if enough of us old timers get involved in this.

There is a link on the sy-fy main page where you can sign up to participate in the Viewer's Voice program. As I see it, this is the best possible avenue to voice our gripes for those of us who do not like what sy-fy has become and do not like where it is going.

And there has been the opportunity in the dozen or so surveys that I have taken to far to voice my gripes. B)

All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#8 Annoyed58

Annoyed58

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

If they wanted our opinions, they would simply ask for them, without asking for all the private information that survey wanted me to provide.

--
"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion." - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor

"Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all." - Former Borg Seven of Nine

#9 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

If they wanted our opinions, they would simply ask for them, without asking for all the private information that survey wanted me to provide.

I understand your concerns, and it is certainly your choice to not participate.

There, however, are several questions to which it is possible to answer - prefer not to answer - such as race, industry, income, etc., and those are the most personal questions I know of. It is also possible to put in a fictitious name if you want. As far as I know, they are doing nothing to verify the personal information provided other than sending a verification e-mail - and there are possibilities for giving them an anonymous e-mail address, too.

As well, there's a point system that you may redeem for gift cards to various places or donate to charity.

Personally, I would rather take the chance they will listen and stop dead in their tracks on the latest in stupid, low-budget, reality series, and, perhaps, give us some decent science fiction once again. At least I will have made the effort to make a difference, and, trust me, I slammed just such a possible reality series. Some of the response forms were completely free-form instead of multiple choice, and they were asking for honest opinions. They got mine. :lol: It will be interesting to see if that series shows up in the sy-fy lineup; however, I would imagine if enough people respond like I did, it will not.
All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#10 rjsmith53

rjsmith53

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:43 AM

So I just saw an ad on Sy Fy wanting feedback on Sy Fy programs. I thought it might be helpful so I went to the website, found the link for the viewers choice poll and clicked on it. All it does is take you to another website to sign up to take surveys which the will spam you with every day (having done this before). How much is Sy Fy getting for getting people to sign up? Are they really that desperate for money that they now lie to their viewers for a couple buck each? I do know they get paid for this since this is the same survey company that you take surveys for in facebook for game credits. I would like to suggest since Sy Fy wants to lie to the viewers, we, as viewers, should simply start contacting the advertisers on Sy Fy and let them know what Sy Fy is doing. I have been disappointed with the direction Sy Fy channel has been heading but this is a new low for any station. 

#11 easygordon

easygordon

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Someone else mentioned this survey site, or another like it, several months ago, but I never bothered to check it out because I was sure Syfy wouldn't respond to the negative opinions I have about their programming decisions lately.

However, when I saw the title of this thread on the home page I was assuming it was going to be about Naked Vegas.  ;)

EDIT: And of course my last comment makes no sense now since MBG merged rjsmith53's thread with one already existing for discussion of the survey site. The title of his thread was "Has Syfy sunk to a new low?"

Posted Image
Reviews of SF, Fantasy & Horror books, movies, TV, comics at templetongate.net

#12 Sherrie69

Sherrie69

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

I love Ghost Hunters and it should be on more often.

Sherrie69

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users