• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Parasite

Parasite

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:40 PM

I watched the first part of the Earthsea mini-series last night and I thought it was great! I'm excited to see the conclusion tonight. It's not going to win any "best in..." awards, but it certainly exceeded my expectations.

I have not read the books, as it appears everyone here who talks badly of this show has, but I understand the disappointment of changing a story for a mini-series like this. I've heard Dune/Children of Dune spoken of here as a comparison. I liked Children of Dune, I thought it was a fairly well-made series, but I grew up watching the original Dune - and loving it! - and even though I liked Children of Dune, it left such a bad taste in my mouth from the differences from the original that I will likely never watch it again. But I will not attempt to deprive others of the enjoyment of watching it, because it was a good mini-series, just not one of my favorites. The point:

Your opinion about this show, whether it agrees with many others' or not, is not a standard to judge others by and does not give you the right to deride other people here who disagree with you.

Some speak of others as having "bad taste" and other, less descriptive, but equally harsh phrases but fail to realize that "taste" is based on personal opinion, and to a very large extent, viewers' enjoyment of a show is based on their perspective and opinons.

Please do not insult and flame people who like this show. Also, do not insult or flame those who don't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, let them express it here without getting harassed by everyone else. If you don't like the show, you're part of one (possibly) large group, and if you do like it, you're part of another equally large group and since, when it comes down to it, both groups are formed becuase of each individuals' personal opinion of a TV-SHOW neither group is more right that the other.

It's a TV-SHOW, it's made for your entertainment! If you don't like it, don't watch it. Just don't complain.

Also, if the SCI-FI producers (or anyone else that's part of SCI-FI) are reading this, first: good job! I thoroughly enjoyed it; second: keep in mind that this board is in no way representive all the viewers of SCI-FI. This is a very biased sampling group and should not be said to represent the general feelings of the community.

#2 JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:47 PM

I enjoyed the miniseries, as well as the books. While there are some flaws in it, it was fun to watch. Who says that you can't enjoy book and adaptation?

#3 dhj

dhj

Mansquito

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:55 PM

Whether or not it was a well made movie is up for debate. I am offended by the raping of her novels. Why make such senseless changes to a brilliant story. SciFI took all of the depth out of the story, and that did not need to happen. If you have not read the books, your lucky. I wish I could read the books for the first time again. Needless to say, they are great works of art. I just do not understand why they had to make such drastic changes.

#4 vonweiner

vonweiner

Viper Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:07 PM

And your opinions are in no way representative of the majority as well.

If you disagree and like the series that's fine, but please don't assume that you know the sentiment of the community.

Standing on its own, the series is entertaining, but with such horrible discrepancies from the book it is a hard pill to swallow.

It would be like Peter Jackson having Saruman in Mordor and Sauron in Isengard and the hobbits human-sized and wearing shoes and Aragorn heir to Rohan. Or better yet, perhaps Mel Gibson could've had Christ die from falling off a cliff rather than on a cross. It might make for entertaining film, but would be a travesty to the source work.

So let us put arms on the Venus de Milo and someone should make the people in Guernica look like they are celebrating Xmas and have the Kargad King invade and breach Roke...

Well, the sci-fi channel took care of the last one for me.

#5 JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:17 PM

The best way to view the series is to realize that they're not the same thing. If it makes anyone feel better, the books haven't magically changed to reflect the miniseries.

#6 vonweiner

vonweiner

Viper Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:28 PM

I was entertained by it, I'll admit and I will watch Part 2, but I can't understand why they went so far off the source. The story was better as it was originally told and it wasn't as if they couldn't bring it to the screen.

I can't find a reason to change it so much. I can understand changes here and there (as in LoTR and Liv Tyler) but this adaptation just changed too much for me.

I won't fault anyone for enjoying it, as I said, on its own it is entertaining, but for me it is disappointing.

#7 Monker

Monker

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:45 PM

Quote:

It would be like Peter Jackson having Saruman in Mordor and Sauron in Isengard and the hobbits human-sized and wearing shoes and Aragorn heir to Rohan. Or better yet, perhaps Mel Gibson could've had Christ die from falling off a cliff rather than on a cross. It might make for entertaining film, but would be a travesty to the source work.

or, maybe there should be elves fighting at Helm's Deep. Or, maybe Aragorn should just toss the Hobbits their swords at Weathertop, instead of them fighting the Barrow wights. Or, maybe he could make the Hobbits look like teenagers, instead of middle-aged adults who happened to be three feet tall. Or, maybe they could emphsize Arwen's romance with Aragorn and diminish Aeowyn's romance with Farimir.

Oh, what a travesty LotR's was...just so inconsistant with the source work.

To take personal offense to such changes to a STORY is the real travesty here. With or without major changes, it's STILL a STORY.

#8 CRZell

CRZell

Mansquito

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:09 PM

Bull.

Jackson altered the tale, but still told the tale well.

As was evidenced by the Oscar he won.

Do you actually think there's an award shy of a Golden Raspberry coming toward the director or screenplay adaptor of Legend of Earthsea?

Please.

You're citing apples and oranges. Jackson's LOTR incorporated minor adjustments -- Legend of Earthsea completely manufactured half of its story. Tygath is now the main antagonist -- it's like deciding that some random orc chieftain should be the main bad guy in LOTR.

Main difference is that Jackson adapted the tale while trying to remain as true to the source as humanly possible. The screenplay adaptor of Legend of Earthsea revisits the source material when convenient, but as often as not departs from it.

You want to see how far the tale really strayed, we'll start listing all the fabrications of Earthsea. Jackson shaved some depth to tell Tolkien's tale in film. SciFi eliminated the depth of Earthsea altogether.

#9 RogueLdy

RogueLdy

Mansquito

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:26 PM

Yes, I am disappointed that they butchered the original story.... BUT, I am more disappointed in this poorly scripted and directed miniseries. Don't artists take pride in their work anyomre?

#10 samcclintic

samcclintic

Mansquito

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:37 PM

I think you are mistaken in several respects. The BB is provided for us, the viewers, to express our opinions, to include our opinions of others. We have the right to speak out as we will here. Taste may only be partly based on personal opinion. There are some objective reasons that the show has issues. They have been mentioned, and I'm sure there are others. Further, if we don't express our dissatisfaction with the programming choices, more of this schlok with be made at the expense of better programming. There is a finate amount of resource available to SciFi. We would like to see it channeled more effectively. Last point, for me at least, this BB IS representative of viewers of SciFi, and specifically the most devoted of the viewers. If the core is turned off, likely the rest are as well.

For my 0.02, this work is as bad as Merlin (unwatchable) and the Odyssey (boring). My advice - give up on the spoiled idiot with latent super magic powers thing, its tired and old. How about a story about a mage who works hard and learns his craft, and then is confronted with a challenge?

#11 vash-the-stampede

vash-the-stampede

Mansquito

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:02 PM

This show was a flamming sac of ***** it had very little to do w ith the books and had alot of the key and best parts messed up or cut.

i swear some head are gonna role at sci-fi for this

#12 Starfire77

Starfire77

Dune Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:06 PM

Good luck. You're going to need it. And I don't mean that rudely.

#13 undead21

undead21

Mansquito

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:58 PM

Dam strait good show

#14 tmraitnriitxy98

tmraitnriitxy98

Mansquito

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

In cases like these, it is best to take the mini-series and the book as two different stories. Therefore, you can enjoy both for what they are and not be caught up in the differences.

I believe that the depth of the story may have been taken out because the makers did not feel that the casual viewer would have the intelligence to understand the depth that the story (book) displayed. = )

#15 JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:08 PM

I'm a fan. Part two was almost as good, so I'm pleased.

#16 Kurai

Kurai

Mansquito

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:17 PM

Quote:

This show was a flamming sac of ***** it had very little to do w ith the books and had alot of the key and best parts messed up or cut.

this coming from someone who has a vocabulary and grammar skills of a 12 year old..

#17 JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:18 PM

LOL

#18 hal32

hal32

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

this coming from someone who has a vocabulary and grammar skills of a 12 year old..

And you think you're grammar is correct? Think again before you open your mouth and watch what you type. You need to check your vocabulary skills as well.
PAY YOUR TAXES! 12 Million Illegal Aliens Are Depending On You. United We Stand, Multi-lingual We Fall. No Shirt, No Shoes, No English, No Service.

#19 Kurai

Kurai

Mansquito

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:31 PM

Aww... Whats the matter? Did I hit a nerve because I'm making fun of a fellow hater who likes to waste space with their asinine comments, rather than actually say something informative??

It's SO easy to go around posting in every thread, "oh wow.. this show sucks! I think its dumb! wtf I hate sci fi! durrrr!" Please.. you people need to shut up or actually relate to the topics posted without being ***.. -__-;

edit: BTW, nice spam thread you posted.. as if we dont have enough already... "IT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so smart! Look at me! I want attention!!" Haha.. so sad...

#20 LdyStardust

LdyStardust

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:43 PM

Quote:

I have not read the books, as it appears everyone here who talks badly of this show has, but I understand the disappointment of changing a story for a mini-series like this. I've heard Dune/Children of Dune spoken of here as a comparison. I liked Children of Dune, I thought it was a fairly well-made series, but I grew up watching the original Dune - and loving it! - and even though I liked Children of Dune, it left such a bad taste in my mouth from the differences from the original that I will likely never watch it again.

If you consider the first adaptation (mutilation) of Dune in movie format the "original" then you have NO IDEA what the "disappointment of changing a story for a mini-series like this" is. The original telling of the story is the book, that's it. If you were disappointed in the SciFi adaptation of Dune because it didn't live up to expectations you had developed based on a movie that had only a loose basis in the book, you really don't understand the argument here.

LeGuin first began publishing books set in Earthsea before I was born. Since then, she has brought us 6 books and innumerable short stories which have made the place almost real to millions of readers. We have learned the history, the geology, the mythology, the physics, the geography, the anthropology, the very character of Earthsea and its inhabitants as well or perhaps even better than the planet on which we live. Of course readers are outraged that a team of mini-series hacks came along and decided to re-create all of that in their own image, without even consulting LeGuin, but all while banking on the attraction of a world as recognizable as Narnia or Middle Earth.

Consider this: in the last few books of Earthsea, Leguin clearly wanted to resolve some flaws in the basic precepts by which the wizards and many people of Earthsea had been living. Even so, she did not go back to the original stories and rewrite them to suit a new agenda. Instead, she continued the story forward and backward along the timeline as well as filling in other contemporary stories which allowed us, as readers, to see a bigger picture. If this mini-series had just admitted up front that it was not based on the central stories of the history of Earthsea and had instead simply created new stories about characters other than the ones we already know and love (or hate), this whole brouhaha might have been avoided.

Stardust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users