#21 tydmac

tydmac

Contactee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:33 PM

Quote:

Glen A Larson was no writer either. Sci Fi was running Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century yesterday, the first season where it had a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE theme, Buck and Wilma working for the Defense Directerate.

The writing was terrible and when I was in my Teens I actually liked Buck Rodgers, Which was on NBC for two seasons and when it was cancled Larson moved onto his next projext Knight Rider which had a great car and sexy Mechanic for 3 of four seasons.

Actually, the only writing Larson did for the show was the pilot movie. I think his actual involvement in the series was minimal.

#22 VonBruno

VonBruno

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:13 PM

Quote:

It really stinks having something you created taken away from you by the networks in my opinion.

Glen Larson didn't have anything stolen from him. He created TOS and shopped it around. Universal Studios bought it lock, stock, and barrel.
Aloha,
Von Bruno

"Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end."

#23 SpectreIL

SpectreIL

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:49 PM

bebebebbeebebeebbebebebebebebe hay buck, a little twiki! and loved Wilma Deering
So say we all, By the lords of kobol! TOS Fans, the TNS IS great show!!

#24 ValueApe

ValueApe

Viper Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:32 PM

Quote:

Only thing that was really good with TOS was the main title theme.

Don't forget hector and vector! Outerspace robot clown senior citizens who tap dance! Now that's quality!
Controversy is always the best publicity.

#25 SpectreIL

SpectreIL

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:32 AM

oh FRACK! hECToR, thought Starbuck was a little girl, Guess George was watching, He wanted a Hector and Vector and he made, Jar Jar!
So say we all, By the lords of kobol! TOS Fans, the TNS IS great show!!

#26 Aaron Brody

Aaron Brody

Peacekeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:29 PM

Larson doesn't have much of a connection to this show,
he's old now and his main work was in the 70s and 80s

However he is doing a re-make of Knight Rider next year

#27 ChupacabraNJ

ChupacabraNJ

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:54 PM

I read a David Eick interview where he stated that Larson hates TNS. Larson also managed to retain the film rigths to BSG, which means, as long as he breaths, there will not be a BSG movie of TNS. This came from Eick himself, so I believe it.

#28 DennyCrane

DennyCrane

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (ChupacabraNJ @ Dec 12 2006, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read a David Eick interview where he stated that Larson hates TNS. Larson also managed to retain the film rigths to BSG, which means, as long as he breaths, there will not be a BSG movie of TNS. This came from Eick himself, so I believe it.

Source? If Larson hates TNS why he's okay with having his name on the credits?
Posted Image

#29 Archemedes1

Archemedes1

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (DennyCrane @ Dec 12 2006, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Source? If Larson hates TNS why he's okay with having his name on the credits?

That probably has more to do with screen guild laws & associated royalties then him endorsing the show. I doubt he'd get paid unless he had his name tacked on.
~The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer.

#30 BaseStarOne

BaseStarOne

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (Archemedes @ Dec 12 2006, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That probably has more to do with screen guild laws & associated royalties then him endorsing the show. I doubt he'd get paid unless he had his name tacked on.

It was actually said in the Season One Companion Guide that the only reason Glen Larson's name is in the credits is due to a decision by the Screenwriter's Guild that Larson brought a grievance to. He wanted his name part of the Executive Producer and Writers credits, of which Ron Moore didn't want his name in at all.

So, the Guild came to a decision of no money paid to Larson, but that his name would be added as a "Consultant" in the credits in every episode of the series nd RDM agreed to it.

Seems like a bitter old man to me.

#31 DennyCrane

DennyCrane

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (BaseStarOne @ Dec 12 2006, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was actually said in the Season One Companion Guide that the only reason Glen Larson's name is in the credits is due to a decision by the Screenwriter's Guild that Larson brought a grievance to. He wanted his name part of the Executive Producer and Writers credits, of which Ron Moore didn't want his name in at all.

So, the Guild came to a decision of no money paid to Larson, but that his name would be added as a "Consultant" in the credits in every episode of the series nd RDM agreed to it.

Seems like a bitter old man to me.

Sounds believable. No offense to his fans but I don't think TOS has the same value for Larson as Star Trek for Roddenberry.
Posted Image

#32 bishop37

bishop37

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:25 PM

Glen A. Larson created Battlestar Galactica, without him, you wouldn't be on this forum now, and a good number of people wouldn't have gainful employment at the moment.

Whether you like his writing/shows or not, the above stands.
Posted Image

#33 Archemedes1

Archemedes1

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (bishop37 @ Dec 12 2006, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glen A. Larson created Battlestar Galactica, without him, you wouldn't be on this forum now, and a good number of people wouldn't have gainful employment at the moment.

True. However, there is a definite difference between respect for the old show, and respect for the man. The man's actions over the years have not been kind to his reputation, and this latest mess doesn't help. I've all for respecting the art, but Glen Larson can defend himself.

#34 DennyCrane

DennyCrane

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (bishop37 @ Dec 12 2006, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing wrong with this and nobody questioned this.
Posted Image

#35 Chucklez

Chucklez

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:18 PM

You may not like Glen Larson but at least he created his own shows, instead of reimagining other peoples work.

laugh.gif

#36 DennyCrane

DennyCrane

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Chucklez @ Dec 12 2006, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may not like Glen Larson but at least he created his own shows, instead of reimagining other peoples work.

laugh.gif

Uhm...yeah...George Lucas loves Larson. tongue.gif
Posted Image

#37 Silicates are AI rebels

Silicates are AI rebels

Minbari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (DennyCrane @ Dec 12 2006, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uhm...yeah...George Lucas loves Larson. tongue.gif

I don't see why people bring up the name of that fool George Lucas as if they are claiming he invented the scifi genre
Lucas made attempts to sue other scifi but seems to suffer from selective amnesia because he also copied and borrowed heavily from many other films and tv shows, I think somebody posted about this subject before in another thread

#38 DennyCrane

DennyCrane

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Silicates are AI rebels @ Dec 12 2006, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see why people bring up the name of that fool George Lucas as if they are claiming he invented the scifi genre
Lucas made attempts to sue other scifi but seems to suffer from selective amnesia because he also copied and borrowed heavily from many other films and tv shows, I think somebody posted about this subject before in another thread

I am not defending George Lucas. Just pointing out that Larson's BSG is not as original as some would like it to be. Nothing wrong with borrowing ideas or remakes or even reimages as long as it's done in a proper way.
Posted Image

#39 Archemedes1

Archemedes1

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Silicates are AI rebels @ Dec 12 2006, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be me. Not sure if the thread still exists (the great debate) or has been locked but look it up if you want to.

Lucas didn't invent the genre, but he can be credited for reenergizing it - before Star Wars came around Scifi was beyond niche. Without him, Adam's Ark (the proto-BSG) would have remained a moldy copy sitting on Glen Larson's shelf. While the concept itself was already there (and I detailed this quite well in the other thread) the core concept said nothing about what the show looked like, and various bits of Star Wars visual flavor and operatic tempo certainly leaked into TOS.

#40 ScificFan

ScificFan

Cyborg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:00 PM

Lucas trying to ban to Original Galactica from getting on the air was a top example of the Pot trying to call the Kettle Black. Starwars and the 70s BSG show did have things that made them close, but so was every other movie during the 70s and they also had things that made them very different. I'm no fan of TOS but I do remember some things about the original that made it good, the new version of BSG, if inspired by anything other than the original series or DeSanto's version or Voyager has leaned more to realistic scifi and films like Babylon-5, 2001 Space Odyssey, Platoon, Three Kings, Saving Private Ryan, SAAB, Firefly

The Starwars movies are garbage . Starwars with its Ewok, Yoda and Jar-Jar Binks stupidity is mostly likely one of the worst, over-hyped movie franchises of all time except maybe for Titanic, Independence Day and all that Blair witch nonsense. The first film was ok because it had good actors like Peter Cushing and Guinness, however Alec hated the film so much by the end of it he was begging George to kill Obi-Wan and never spoke another kind word about the movie until the day he died. George's old Starwars doesn't have much in common with the new BSG but Lucas also borrowed or copied ideas from other works for his classic Star wars : He took C3PO from Fritz Lang's Metropolis, got ideas from the original Trek tv show, there are also many otehr works he borrowed from such as Uchu Senkan Yamato, Isaac Asimov books, Yojimbo, Silent Running, King Arthur's Excalibur story, Seven Samurai, Buck Rogers, novel Galactic Patrol, Kairyu daikessen, Frank Herbert's Dune, Lathe Of Heaven, LOTR, Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, Wizard Of Oz, Dam Busters, Dark Star, Flash Gordon...Lucas in fact originally wanted to re-make the Gordon space opera but couldn't secure the rights for Flash.

Their fanbase is horrible - Starwars-drones or Lucas apoloists or whatever you call 'em are far worse than any Trekkies, Lucas IMO is a hack director who continues to milk a bad franchise to death with Ewoks cartoons, some R2D2 TV Series, Yoda cartoons, Prequels, Toys, Video Games, Clone wars tv show, Ewoks films...and on and on. Lucas tried to sue the original Galactica series had have it taken off the air,
Alec Guinness hated the franchise so much he talked George Lucas into killing the Obi-Wan Kenobi character, McGregor described the tedium of film-making with George Lucas and Neeson was so unhappy with the Jar Jar film, he was going to quit movies and go back into Stage Theatre.
Lucas was a hypocrite when he tried to block TOS as George Lucas did nothing more than borrow heavily from Fritz Lang's Metropolis, Galactic Patrol, Kairyu daikessen, the original Trek tv show, Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, Dam Busters, Dark Star, Excalibur story, Seven Samurai, and Flash Gordon. His talents are very much up to question and he must be one of the most over-rated film directors ever !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users