59 replies to this topic

#1 oceansky

oceansky

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:11 PM

Anyone ever heard about the Abandoned Insane Asylum in Downey? If so let me know!
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars. -Oscar Wilde

#2 danielad1313

danielad1313

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:16 PM

Which Downey, Which state?
NO GODS!! NO MASTERS!!
Hasta La Victoria Siempre!

#3 oceansky

oceansky

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:10 PM

Downey CA. (Southern CA)

#4 danielad1313

danielad1313

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:20 PM

Oh I thought maybe you ment Downey,NJ or MD. Sorry I don't know about any on the west coast. Thank's for clearing it up for me though.
NO GODS!! NO MASTERS!!

#5 30footsmurfs

30footsmurfs

Sleestak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:25 PM

Quote:

Anyone ever heard about the Abandoned Insane Asylum in Downey? If so let me know!

Its not another rave ghost is it? And here is a questions for everyone. Why are all Insane Asylums Abandoned? Why not tear it down and develop the property? Seems a waste of prime real estate. LOL Think about it everything that is haunted seems to be abandoned, warehouses, cookie factories, Insane asylums, lighthouses, prisons, etc. Notice these places are haunted because someone died there, you never hear about Disney World being Haunted by a Kid who really loves it there, seems all haunting have a negative assoication, where is the ghosts that want to play ball or chess or something like that. Where is CASPER! I want to hangout with a Ghost and watch Ghost Hunters with him. He could say "thats fake" or "Oh that my friend he loves messing with ghost hunters" Now thats the encounter I want.

#6 oceansky

oceansky

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

Hey there! I totally agree with you! But I imagine that these places that are abandoned (like an abandoned Insane Asylum) are said to be haunted... or probably are haunted... because these are places where there was mad - crazy hard core suffering, where people where treated very bad, and unfairly. So in part, I guess people would just assume that its haunted because of the "place" for what it is or what it was

But yeah, why don't these places ever get torn down, re-built? They usually aren't! But the famous Mental Hospital I do know got transformed...was the Camarillo Insane Asylum here in California. It was made into CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY OF CHANNEL ISLANDS. (up in Santa Barbara).

Well I brought up the Asylum in downey because it's pretty Famous too. When ever you drve by that place, you could see that everything is borded up, and it really does look creepy. Word around here goes, that the place really is an old Hopital not really abandoned... if you know what I mean. I'm just glad I don't live so close.

Very good points by the way, 30footsmurfs!!!!

#7 Shaphie

Shaphie

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:23 PM

We have two Asylum around here in Alabama. Bryce and Sunnyland in Florida.

EvpPimp has investigated Bryce. If you ever see him on one of the boards ask him about it. He has some scary stories.

I too, am now wondering why don't they demolish asylums?
Posted Image

PaleMoonlight : Well, if it is any consolation, you are almost as unpure as Dogger and Mrs. Ron.

#8 skepticalBelievr

skepticalBelievr

Minbari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:41 AM

Quote:

We have two Asylum around here in Alabama. Bryce and Sunnyland in Florida.

EvpPimp has investigated Bryce. If you ever see him on one of the boards ask him about it. He has some scary stories.

I too, am now wondering why don't they demolish asylums?

I can't speak specifically to asylums, but I can give an example of something like that in Columbia, SC. There was an old prison complex that had long since been abandoned (it was old and not up to current building codes, and it was cheaper to build a new one than remodel the old one). Anyway, for reasons unknown to me the prison was built on some prime real estate - nice riverfront property. The place sat vacant and undeveloped for YEARS because of all the red tape that had to be gone through to acquire it, demolish the existing structure, and rebuild there. Granted, we're speaking here about government owned property being sold into private hands (which probably has a LOT to do with why there was so much red tape surrounding the deal), but maybe there's something similar going on with the old asylums - particularly if they were state owned/operated institutions.

Note to anyone who has visited Columbia, SC to avoid confusion: the prison complex I am referring to is not the old Civil War era prison, though that was located on adjacent property. I'm sure that was part of the red tape, though, since that was something that people legitimately wanted protected as an historical site and it was so close to the other property. It may have helped cut through that same red tape, though, when they finally decided the Civil War era prison was a deathtrap (it hadn't been maintained and was literally dangerous to enter - they'd had it locked up for years so no one could get in there) and that, historical or not, it just wasn't feasible to keep it up.

#9 Kateedid

Kateedid

Returnee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:01 AM

Quote:

Hey there! I totally agree with you! But I imagine that these places that are abandoned (like an abandoned Insane Asylum) are said to be haunted... or probably are haunted... because these are places where there was mad - crazy hard core suffering, where people where treated very bad, and unfairly. So in part, I guess people would just assume that its haunted because of the "place" for what it is or what it was

But yeah, why don't these places ever get torn down, re-built? They usually aren't! But the famous Mental Hospital I do know got transformed...was the Camarillo Insane Asylum here in California. It was made into CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY OF CHANNEL ISLANDS. (up in Santa Barbara).

Well I brought up the Asylum in downey because it's pretty Famous too. When ever you drve by that place, you could see that everything is borded up, and it really does look creepy. Word around here goes, that the place really is an old Hopital not really abandoned... if you know what I mean. I'm just glad I don't live so close.

Very good points by the way, 30footsmurfs!!!!

We have on by us. It is not refered to as an "Asylum". It is called the Traverse City State Hospital. It has been closed for several years. It was more like its own little town. Beatuiful stone buildings that resemble castles. Several of them,they also had their own green house and cattle farm. They were self supportive.

It was in bad shape. When Trverse City was gonna tear them down, then people got involved. A couple of them have been destroyed. Others they have turned into seniors assisted living, a couple of offices.

They use to do the electric shock treatment, and the ice baths there. Unbelievable those things ever happened. I have a book about the Hospital. It showed peoms some of the patients would carve into beams. Also artists that would paint murials. It of course doesn't list their names, just that famous artists and authors were there. Also a movie director.

Sadly many deaths happened there, some from TB, others from seizures.

When I was in High School, I went there just to take pics, but the night was a full moon. I was hoping the moon light would help. I got kicked out by security.

There are some spooky stories about the hospital, none after the closing. One story invloved this ward nurse who had a good relationship with a patient by the name of Becky. This nurse traveled down state every weekend. By the time she left it was late. She started to doze when she saw Becky in a red dress laying in the middle of the road. She stopped to get her. When she got out, there was no one. Just a few feet ahead of her was a very sharp turn she would have never made with dozing and not being clear mind.

For those who are interested It here is info to look up online. It started as Northern Michigan Asylum in 1911 it changed to Traverse City State Hospital then in 1978 Traverse City Regional Psychiatric Hospital. The book is called "Angels in the Architecture" by Heidi Johnson.Anyone who appreciates Architecture I highly recommend you look this up. Some of the most beautiful buildings inside and out you will ever get to see.

Anyways I wanted to add it as the gentleman who designed the park/grounds was one A.J. Downings. He also did New York State Asylum at Utica and New Jersey State Asylum at Trenton. Just didn't know if that was the same Downing.
Be careful what you wish for.It may come true!

#10 30footsmurfs

30footsmurfs

Sleestak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:24 AM

Kateedid,
I had no idea you are by TC. We have a place at Crystal Mountain. I am going to have to check that place out. Is far outside of TC?

#11 Kateedid

Kateedid

Returnee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:34 AM

Quote:

Kateedid,
I had no idea you are by TC. We have a place at Crystal Mountain. I am going to have to check that place out. Is far outside of TC?

I live about 30 minutes from Crystal Mountain. If you head into TC. The State Hospital Grounds are right across from our Meijers store. It sits between Meijers and Muson Hospital.
You'll notice them. They look like castles.
You vacation up here than. Oh gosh, I got about a million places for you to check out! Go to Point Betsie Light House in Frankfort. They do tours now....it is supposed to be very active. The Coast Guard took it over and a lot of them refused to stay there because of all the things that happened!I know some guys who worked on it. They had some things happen to them. There is also a haunted bed and breakfast in Frankfort, The Old Town Play House in TC had activity. By me in Benzie COunty I have two Cemetaries where there has been activity actually reported to the police!

#12 Psiload

Psiload

Minbari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:07 AM

Check out Pilgrim State Asylum here on Long Island:

http://www.liodditie...sylums/pilgrim/

http://b.f11.org/photo/Pilgrim/

Tell me that place doesn't look spoooooooooky.

Take the photo and virtual tour... check out the murals some of the patients had drawn on the walls. Creepy stuff:

http://www.liodditie...ngs_Park/VR.htm

http://www.liodditie.../CI/7/index.htm

Actually... it didn't scare the developers away. A mega real estate conglomorate just bought the place for like 35 million dollars.

THe Ghost Hunters better hurry up and get in there... they're going to be renovating the place and turning it into luxury apartments pretty soon.

#13 Kateedid

Kateedid

Returnee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:58 PM

Quote:

Check out Pilgrim State Asylum here on Long Island:

http://www.liodditie...sylums/pilgrim/

http://b.f11.org/photo/Pilgrim/

Tell me that place doesn't look spoooooooooky.

Take the photo and virtual tour... check out the murals some of the patients had drawn on the walls. Creepy stuff:

http://www.liodditie...ngs_Park/VR.htm

http://www.liodditie.../CI/7/index.htm

Actually... it didn't scare the developers away. A mega real estate conglomorate just bought the place for like 35 million dollars.

THe Ghost Hunters better hurry up and get in there... they're going to be renovating the place and turning it into luxury apartments pretty soon.

Wow, that was great. I wish ours would have done that. I did find a couple web sites to look at ours, but I didn't see any pics of the murials. Anyways...

www.msu.edu/~richar66/photos/tcsthospital/tcstatehospital.htm

or

www.freelanceperceptions.com/html/images/spring2003web/tcshhtml/TCSH.html

#14 Shaphie

Shaphie

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:39 PM

Sunland in Florida here
Posted Image

PaleMoonlight : Well, if it is any consolation, you are almost as unpure as Dogger and Mrs. Ron.

#15 silverfang97

silverfang97

Mansquito

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:03 PM

are you talking about waverly hills sanitoruim?

#16 Kateedid

Kateedid

Returnee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:24 AM

Quote:

Anyways I wanted to add it as the gentleman who designed the park/grounds was one A.J. Downings. He also did New York State Asylum at Utica and New Jersey State Asylum at Trenton. Just didn't know if that was the same Downing.

I had mentioned the guy that did several designs of Asylum grounds name is Downing.....

#17 Kateedid

Kateedid

Returnee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:26 PM

Okay Ladies and Gentelman,There is now a Paranormal investigation group close by me. (Kate claps happily*****)

Anyways here is a pic the group TwilightParadox leader Morgan took at The Traverse City State Hospital. I will add a link to their site. Check it out. Keep in mind they are just getting their web site up and rolling.

Does anyone see anything?

#18 Kateedid

Kateedid

Returnee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:44 PM

Bump

#19 danielad1313

danielad1313

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:49 PM

I see a sorta hooded type figure in first window, that is in the forefront of the photo. I would be the 3rd window counting from the first window. It appears in the top right of the boarded up window.

I don't know what it is but it is there and I'm not saying it's a ghost or anything paranormal. But that is what I see.
NO GODS!! NO MASTERS!!

#20 Kateedid

Kateedid

Returnee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:57 PM

I thought that too. I was trying to figure if it could be a reflection...... It is just a small area. If it was a reflection off the wall wouldn't it be more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users