• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 niabel

niabel

Mansquito

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:19 PM

I have never read the books, and so many of you will probably write me off. But I have seen both miniseries on scifi, and found the character of Irulan to be quite sympathetic. No, that doesn't mean I wanted Paul to leave Chani for her or anything, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. The screenwriter said that he basically created and expanded any role she had in the book. So just talking about the miniseries, I found it sad her devotion to the Atriedes family, and the small attraction between her and Paul in Part 1 of Dune ended with him truly loving another. I mean she raised his children after he left because of her love for him. In my mind Julie Cox did a wonderful job, just as many of the other actors and actresses did with their parts. Anyway I was just wondering because the only aspect I have read on the boards is by someone whom seems to deeply dislike Irulan, and I was curious if I was alone in my thoughts.

#2 fremen_eyes

fremen_eyes

Caprican

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

i think u should read the book b-4 u make that kind of statement. and/or wach CoD i little more closey next time.

#3 aCrysknife

aCrysknife

Sleestak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:19 AM

She was involved in preventing Paul from berring an Heir with the contraceptive. Also Irulan took part it many of the Schemes against the Atredies.

#4 Kosh131

Kosh131

Caprican

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:39 PM

Quote:

She was involved in preventing Paul from berring an Heir with the contraceptive. Also Irulan took part it many of the Schemes against the Atredies.

I think it would have been some pretty strange Science Fiction if Paul had born an heir...

No, I know, Irulan gave Chani a contreceptive to keep her from having more kids. That's neither here nor there.

I think that the new version of Dune was okay. NOt great. I just got done rewatching the 1984 David Lynch version, which some purists hate.
Understanding is a Three-edged Sword!

#5 niabel

niabel

Mansquito

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:46 PM

You're right, I don't think I could have seen Irulan as bearing Paul's heir. That would have been...weird.
Anyway thank you for actually referencing the films. I realize I should read the books by Herbert, but instead find myself falling into that american habit of just watching films instead.
Speaking of which, I first watched the 1984 film when I was like ten. It was amazing, and I just fell in love. I have heard that it wasn't up to par for some purists as you call them, but I really enjoyed it. The scene where the Reverend Mother put Paul's hand in that box was entrancing.

#6 Moneo~MD

Moneo~MD

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

Quote:

You're right, I don't think I could have seen Irulan as bearing Paul's heir.

yes, and (as was stated) it would have been even stranger if PAUL had BORN an HEIR.

As to Irulan, the miniseries positioned you to react in that way. If/when you read the books you'll see that she's not so great. She has a few more motives and far more complexity than in the miniseries.

#7 zorba55

zorba55

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

In the book "Dune", she is a minor character. She has a bigger role in the mini-series than she did in the book.

#8 horse608

horse608

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:42 AM

Quote:

That would have been...weird.

Don't know what is weird or strange about Irulan having a child either way. Purist argue the Mini's interpretation did not hold to canon too the books. Well, fan interpretation differs for what the essential role of Irulan was. IMO to advance the storyline but remind viewers of the Bene Gesserit. The order holds females to strict behaviors: 1) selective breeding-both to mate with and prevent others from, 2) manipulate political situations, and 3) provide a romantic interest. You got to see her looking for potential mates, listening to political discussions to influence, and act as a love interest true to character in various sequences.

If you were a reader, then you would get character development rather than the writer's edition. You would notice and appreciate royalty as in better food, living conditions, servants, education and travel & leisure opportunities. You would also notice a big class difference as Irulan was noble born, so the high fashion dress, make up and walk would contrast between the working class and slaves in the books. However, the basic action to the storyline remains the same.

The story is about the 3 Houses: 1) Corrino, 2) Harkonnen, and 3) Atreides.

#9 horse608

horse608

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:01 AM

Sorry, I got OT on the weird rebuttal. From the books, Paul Atreides is suppose to be about 15 years old. He is trained as a nobelman in martial arts, weapons and business management to eventually replace his father. Irulan is also trained as a BG and of similiar age. Feyd Harkonnen is trained similiarly to Paul, but shows more interest combat and actual killing. These are all teenagers and according to the story looking to be set up in an arranged marriage. Yuck!

SPOILER: Even worst, if Jessica had obeyed the BG order and had a girl, Alia or Paula--joke-- would have had to marry either Feyd, or Rabban who are Paula's cousin. (This is a consequence of the BG breeding plan.)

Since this is royalty, marriage by Irulan to anyone would be acceptable as the husband would renounce their birthright and become Corrino by tradition. Canon holds all emperors come from House Corrino, so Irulan should have visited and been courted by every house in the empire with a male heir. Those were the mechanics of the Dune universe. Of course, Paul hits the jackpot and marries Irulan, so he kinda marries into money. Those are concepts not transferred by the Mini.

#10 ladyhwi

ladyhwi

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

Irulan is certainly a tragic character. I see the attraction of wanting to look more deeply into the historian as well as the history, she's classic. she is both wicked and wronged. Movie Irulan could not have the love she wanted nor the power. She could not have made a rev mother and of course could not be a son to the Padishah Emporer no could she be Empress. SHe could be protector and teacher to the children whom she came to love and recorder of the life and legacy of the man she loved and admired.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, its too dark to read. G. Marx

#11 Systor

Systor

Mansquito

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:40 PM

I too have a great deal of sympathy for the character. (Even before the mini series.) Certainly she is much more devious in the books, but there is something about her that draws me in. Even as I read the little excerpts of her writing in the chapter headings of the books, I can't help but want to know more about what happened to here after Leto II started on the golden path. for some reason i wish that she did have some happiness in her life.

#12 QQDonQ

QQDonQ

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:27 AM

I have read the books many times and I have always felt for her as well. I really always felt she loved paul and would kill anyone who harmed the twins.

#13 QQDonQ

QQDonQ

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:31 AM

Quote:

I too have a great deal of sympathy for the character. (Even before the mini series.) Certainly she is much more devious in the books, but there is something about her that draws me in. Even as I read the little excerpts of her writing in the chapter headings of the books, I can't help but want to know more about what happened to here after Leto II started on the golden path. for some reason i wish that she did have some happiness in her life.

My favorite story she tells is not about her... But the one she tells of her father when he recieved the beatiful slave girl. He looks at her for a long time and then says that he doesn't want her touched she is too beautiful. He will give her to some one.

#14 Hypothetical

Hypothetical

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it would have been some pretty strange Science Fiction if Paul had born an heir...

No, I know, Irulan gave Chani a contreceptive to keep her from having more kids. That's neither here nor there.

I think that the new version of Dune was okay. NOt great. I just got done rewatching the 1984 David Lynch version, which some purists hate.

I don't hate the 84 version. In fact, I rewatch the expanded version about twice a year. There are just some things about it that bug me. They got the Impirial feel of the books down pat, and the actors got the characters right for the most part, but the introduction of the Wierding Modules and the Heartplugs was just too much.

The 2000 version..well, it stayed a lot truer to the books, but at some points it got a little too airy for the subject. And the 2000 version came closest to getting the Fremen right. Niether version picked up on the fact that the fremen were descended from Islamic Middle-Easterners, but at least using Greek-descendants in the 2000 version was better.

#15 Sihaya81

Sihaya81

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:13 PM

Niabel-- I do agree, I like Irulan in some ways... she's one of the most "human" characters, one of the most relatable. But indeed, you should read the books... ;-)

#16 Steve55

Steve55

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

Irulan is my one my favorite characters, in my mind she is like a tragic Greek character all she wants is to be loved first by her father, then by Paul and finally by Leto and Ghanima but she never receives the love she craves and all time she is being manipulated by the people she wants to love

Oh and hi i'm new
Posted Image

#17 Leksa

Leksa

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, that is how she is portrayed in the series. Unfortunately in the books she is not so "Greek-like"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users